ImageImageImage

Official Celtics 2021-22 Season Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Re: Official Celtics 2021 Post/Off-Season Thread 

Post#321 » by cloverleaf » Wed Jun 2, 2021 12:05 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:First order of business is trying to dump Walker. If they can do that just move smart as the starting point guard. I would definitely try to resign Fournier as well but I'm not sure how much that will push him into the luxury tax which rhe owners don't want to pay.

Smart
Brown
Tatum
Fournier
TT

Bench
Williams (you can't start him because you have to limit his minutes)
Parker
Nesmith
PP
Langford.

If everyone stays healthy that should be good for 45 wins and a fourth seed.

Brad always limits the minutes of his starting centers. But Walker himself wasn't the guy who dragged this group from a 4th seed down to a play-in claw in to the real playoffs (and a quick first-round exit).

And I wouldn't count on Fournier coming back after that postgame interview last night.
NYCelticsfan136
Veteran
And1: 1,681

Post#322 » by NYCelticsfan136 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 12:17 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:First order of business is trying to dump Walker. If they can do that just move smart as the starting point guard. I would definitely try to resign Fournier as well but I'm not sure how much that will push him into the luxury tax which rhe owners don't want to pay.

Smart
Brown
Tatum
Fournier
TT

Bench
Parker
Nesmith
PP
Langford.

Then that would be garbage. It’s about getting a damn championship. This franchise has become inept.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#323 » by JediMasterRevan » Wed Jun 2, 2021 12:21 pm

cloverleaf wrote:.

And I wouldn't count on Fournier coming back after that postgame interview last night.

I thought the same thing.

Another FIREABLE offense from Danny was making that trade.

Hated it at the time, hate it more now. Fournier was garbage fit, was never utilized by Brad, and it took away the only chance we had at adding a legit player.

THe pick, that full TPE, and a young guy probably would have gotten us Ball in the offseason.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,827

Post#324 » by BK_2020 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 12:32 pm

Fournier was acquired for practically nothing. He played 30 mpg and had 10.8 FGA per game, 4th on the team. Not bad for a garbage fit who was never utilized.
The full TPE can't be used for a sign and trade without dumping Kemba or Jaylen.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#325 » by cloverleaf » Wed Jun 2, 2021 12:35 pm

JediMasterRevan wrote:

Hated it at the time, hate it more now. Fournier was garbage fit, was never utilized by Brad, and it took away the only chance we had at adding a legit player.

THe pick, that full TPE, and a young guy probably would have gotten us Ball in the offseason.

Yeah, except we don't know how much that decision was Danny's--and how much it was Wyc's.

Separately, Tristan had a -40.8 on/off per 100 possessions in the playoffs--compared to Rob's +29.3. That's over a 70 point differential!
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,681

Post#326 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Wed Jun 2, 2021 12:35 pm

NYCelticsfan136 wrote:

Smart
Brown
Tatum
Fournier
TT

Bench
Parker
Nesmith
PP
Langford.

Then that would be garbage. It’s about getting a damn championship. This franchise has become inept.

Not sure what to say besides the Celtics have a ton of money in brown, Tatum and Walker. Issue is Walker is unmovable and unplayable.
*Insert witty signature here.*
flintsky21
Sixth Man
And1: 2,783

Post#327 » by flintsky21 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 12:37 pm

JediMasterRevan wrote:

Missed it. What did he say?
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#328 » by BK_2020 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 12:37 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
JediMasterRevan wrote:

Yeah, except we don't know how much that decision was Danny's--and how much it was Wyc's.

Separately, Tristan had a -40.8 on/off per 100 possessions in the playoffs--compared to Rob's +29.3. That's over a 70 point differential!

On/off numbers for a 5 game sample is meaningless noise.
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM

Post#329 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Wed Jun 2, 2021 12:41 pm

cloverleaf wrote:

Smart
Brown
Tatum
Fournier
TT

Bench
Parker
Nesmith
PP
Langford.

Brad always limits the minutes of his starting centers. But Walker himself wasn't the guy who dragged this group from a 4th seed down to a play-in claw in to the real playoffs (and a quick first-round exit).

I think Fournier is gone as well but we will see.

It's not Walker's fault directly but at the same time Walker has a max contract, missed a bunch of games at the start of the year, then played every other game and he when the playoffs roll around he was either completely useless or just flat out couldn't play. It's pretty clear Walker's knee isn't going to get better It's likely to get worse.

I suppose we could blame Danny for the signing but that contract and the fact that he's almost unplayable is dragging the team down.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man

Post#330 » by JediMasterRevan » Wed Jun 2, 2021 12:45 pm

flintsky21 wrote:
JediMasterRevan wrote:

Missed it. What did he say?

Cannot remember it all.

I remember him being asked about team stuggles this year, he said something like Boston is now for playing together and playing hard and that just didnt happen this year. Cannot pinpoint why (stevens, duh)

edit:

Found this

The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM

Post#331 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Wed Jun 2, 2021 12:46 pm

JediMasterRevan wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
robdog_5 wrote:
Need a real PG

Somehow need to get a 4.

Some added vet toughness

I'd shop Smart.

Reach out to KG and see if you can get him on basketball staff somehow.

I do wonder all the time does KG even want a coaching job?

I would ask him about it, maybe even a front office job.
Also would ask Kenny Smith about being assistant GM, FIre Ainge and promote Zarren (barring not getting Ainge)

I would fire Ainge today, imo.

Danny has a built-in excuse because of injuries this year. Also Ainge, like Belichick has with the Patriots, has an unofficial lifetime contract.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man

Post#332 » by JediMasterRevan » Wed Jun 2, 2021 12:51 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
JediMasterRevan wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
I do wonder all the time does KG even want a coaching job?

I would ask him about it, maybe even a front office job.
Also would ask Kenny Smith about being assistant GM, FIre Ainge and promote Zarren (barring not getting Ainge)

I would fire Ainge today, imo.

Danny has a built-in excuse because of injuries this year. Also Ainge, like Belichick has with the Patriots, has an unofficial lifetime contract.

We shall see I guess, but god I hope not
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM

Post#333 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Wed Jun 2, 2021 12:54 pm

BK_2020 wrote:Fournier was acquired for practically nothing. He played 30 mpg and had 10.8 FGA per game, 4th on the team. Not bad for a garbage fit who was never utilized.
The full TPE can't be used for a sign and trade without dumping Kemba or Jaylen.

Yeah I really don't have an issue with that trade it was for a couple of second round picks. It was a good trade because the bench was complete trash.

Of course the problem is it didn't help he missed like 3 weeks and never really got into a groove. I think this team played hard enough against the nets but there was probably at least 10 games where they gave zero effort during the regular season.

Clearly this offensive scheme isn't working which is pretty much one pass than playing ISO. Watch Phoenix last night, That's exactly how basketball should be played.
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#334 » by BK_2020 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 12:57 pm

The funny thing is Boston had ridiculously good offensive rating for the series (including two games over 130!), minus game 1 where it was 101.8, so whatever they were doing on offense was working. They just couldn't stop the Nets.
Phoenix meanwhile dipped as low as 96 and peaked at 114.9. Against the broke-ass Lakers team without AD.
It's so interesting how narratives never match up with reality.
flaco
Starter
And1: 861

Post#335 » by flaco » Wed Jun 2, 2021 1:01 pm

Trade #1
Blazers in: Smart + Fournier (signed and traded to the Blazers)
Celtics in: CJ McCollum

Trade #2

Trade #3

PG: Beverley - Pritchard - Edwards
SG: McCollum - Romeo
SF: Brown - Nesmith
PF: Tatum - Jabari - Grant
C: Ibaka - Timelord

This would be a contending team in my book. Fill the remaining roster spots as you see fit.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man

Post#336 » by JediMasterRevan » Wed Jun 2, 2021 1:01 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:Fournier was acquired for practically nothing. He played 30 mpg and had 10.8 FGA per game, 4th on the team. Not bad for a garbage fit who was never utilized.

Yeah I really don't have an issue with that trade it was for a couple of second round picks. It was a good trade because the bench was complete trash.

Of course the problem is it didn't help he missed like 3 weeks and never really got into a groove. I think this team played hard enough against the nets but there was probably at least 10 games where they gave zero effort during the regular season.

Clearly this offensive scheme isn't working which is pretty much one pass than playing ISO. Watch Phoenix last night, That's exactly how basketball should be played.

With a point guard who initiates offense. Not that garbage Kemba
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#337 » by BK_2020 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 1:03 pm

Ibaka is cooked.
flaco
Starter
And1: 861

Post#338 » by flaco » Wed Jun 2, 2021 1:17 pm

BK_2020 wrote:Ibaka is cooked.

- Kemba is on the wrong side of 30, he's overpaid and he's battling a chronic injury. We cannot realisticaly expect to get an amazing return for him.
- Don't think Ibaka is cooked. If he is, then it becomes more likely for the Clips to pull the trigger. Prsonally speaking, I'd do the trade regardless.
- Fwiw, it works with Zubac instead of Ibaka as well.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,685

Post#339 » by GoCeltics123 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 1:24 pm

Wrong thread
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,641

Post#340 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Jun 2, 2021 1:36 pm

Read on Twitter