ImageImage

Playoff Thread: Grizz vs Jazz (Game Four)

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,943

Playoff Thread: Grizz vs Jazz (Game Four) 

Post#1 » by ducler » Mon May 31, 2021 9:07 pm

Read on Twitter
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Re: Playoff Thread: Grizz vs Jazz (Game Four) 

Post#2 » by Whole Truth » Tue Jun 1, 2021 2:03 am

Memphis flopping , I'm not liking that.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#3 » by Whole Truth » Tue Jun 1, 2021 2:56 am

Solid first half, Memphis lock n step with Utah. Down 5
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#4 » by VCfor3 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 4:22 am

Really needed this one. Ja looked tired
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#5 » by Whole Truth » Tue Jun 1, 2021 4:25 am

Can't be mad, poor execution down the stretch cost them but overall a good game.

Welcome to the party Melton, hope you stay.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#6 » by Whole Truth » Tue Jun 1, 2021 4:28 am

When Memphis spaced the court, Conley had that play easily read. That TO broke Memphis back.
bobobolas10
Senior
And1: 307

Post#7 » by bobobolas10 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 8:02 am

Same old same old. Having a good game, staying close... we have a few TO and dumb decitions down the stretch and thats it. A 3 from conley, a 3 from Bogdanovic and a 2and1 by mitchel and thats it.

i think the Jazz never felt threatened. You can play well during three quarters and a half but then again, start playing dumb for three minutes and game is over.

I never expected to win this series, however, I wanted to win another game...
"Take that for Data!"
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#8 » by Whole Truth » Tue Jun 1, 2021 12:02 pm

bobobolas10 wrote:Same old same old. Having a good game, staying close... we have a few TO and dumb decitions down the stretch and thats it. A 3 from conley, a 3 from Bogdanovic and a 2and1 by mitchel and thats it.

i think the Jazz never felt threatened. You can play well during three quarters and a half but then again, start playing dumb for three minutes and game is over.

Are you aware that Jazz didn't make a FG 4th Q till Conley hit a 3 at the 5min mark & that they made only 3FG's total 4th Q ?.

If not for 6FT's, 4 for DM their 3pt lead at the point Conley hit a 3 at the 5:08 mark would not have existed. One being the Mitchell fall called on Allen who didn't even touch him.

Jazz hit a total of 3FG's 4th Q, 2 3's by Conley, one by Bojan for 9pts. 11 of their 20pts came on the FT line 11-12. lol. One being that DM clear flop on Allen.

Refs subtly controlled this game but it was nothing compared to games 1-3 so they gave Memphis a better chance but poor decision making & execution did Memphis in, which is why I didn't touch on the above fact. Refs job is to make DM look good. He did nothing 4th Q but get to the FT line on cheap to no contact. DM 4th Q = 6-6 FT's, 1 set with no contact.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#9 » by Whole Truth » Tue Jun 1, 2021 12:16 pm

Memphis played great defense 4th Q, refs put their prints on the game but it was Memphis poor offensive execution that inevitably did them in. Tip of the cap to Utah floppers on the 3-1 series lead.

I hated Memphis flopping & foul hunting 1st Q thankfully that didn't continue. Let the #1 seed flop to fight off the 9th seed.

If they didn't respect this team, they wouldn't have to work the refs the way they have.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#10 » by Whole Truth » Tue Jun 1, 2021 12:30 pm

It's Conley outside of game 1 owning this series for the Jazz.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#11 » by E S V L » Tue Jun 1, 2021 1:43 pm

Whole Truth wrote:It's Conley outside of game 1 owning this series for the Jazz.

After Game 1, Memphis was allowed to play neither physically nor tight defense. That`s why Conley & Co got open looks after each simple screen.
FK NFL
E S V L
Analyst

Post#12 » by E S V L » Tue Jun 1, 2021 1:50 pm

Another big win for Memphis. 6th in a row.

What have we learnt:

1. Grayson is a legitimate NBA SG.
2. Melton is going to be very good very soon.
3. JJJ is a legitimate NBA center. Already. Right now.
4. JJJ is going to be a motherfathering beast.
5. Brooks is a god damn good SF.
6. Memphis, which is ran by 2 kids, competes against a #1 NBA regular season team ran by veterans.
7. Memphis is going to be a contender for years ahead. Our future is bright.
8. NBA doesn`t appreciate JV`s physical dominance over any center in NBA. And will never do.
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#13 » by Whole Truth » Tue Jun 1, 2021 2:03 pm

E S V L wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:It's Conley outside of game 1 owning this series for the Jazz.

After Game 1, Memphis was allowed to play neither physically nor tight defense. That`s why Conley & Co get open looks after each simple screen.

I can't deny Utah is getting a more loose whistle than Memphis, it's what I've been talking about the last 3 game threads but at the same time I don't want to take away how well they & Conley have played because they have played well.

I used to like DM's game but that had changed watching him flop all over the court the last few games.

I can't state where Memphis would be with a better whistle, I just wanted a level playing field Memphis have yet to get.
bobobolas10
Senior

Post#14 » by bobobolas10 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 2:41 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
bobobolas10 wrote:Same old same old. Having a good game, staying close... we have a few TO and dumb decitions down the stretch and thats it. A 3 from conley, a 3 from Bogdanovic and a 2and1 by mitchel and thats it.

Are you aware that Jazz didn't make a FG 4th Q till Conley hit a 3 at the 5min mark & that they made only 3FG's total 4th Q ?.

If not for 6FT's, 4 for DM their 3pt lead at the point Conley hit a 3 at the 5:08 mark would not have existed. One being the Mitchell fall called on Allen who didn't even touch him.

Jazz hit a total of 3FG's 4th Q, 2 3's by Conley, one by Bojan for 9pts. 11 of their 20pts came on the FT line 11-12. lol. One being that DM clear flop on Allen.

Refs subtly controlled this game but it was nothing compared to games 1-3 so they gave Memphis a better chance but poor decision making & execution did Memphis in, which is why I didn't touch on the above fact. Refs job is to make DM look good. He did nothing 4th Q but get to the FT line on cheap to no contact. DM 4th Q = 6-6 FT's, 1 set with no contact.

Yes i was aware. Actually, I mentioned it in the general board, however, I still think the Jazz were comfortable with that lead and when we got close, those few threes in a row gave them a +10 lead again.

g2-g3-g4 were totally controlled by them. I dont care bout the refs, they still managed to lead from beginning till the end in all of those game. We competed, we are learning a lot and it is actually fun despite the losses. They are just better so far.

Our run in the 4th was great but, it is useless if they are up by 10 or more because at some point, they will have a hotstreak and combined by our dumb decitions and then again, up by+10. I believe it happened in all ouf losses.
"Take that for Data!"
bobobolas10
Senior

Post#15 » by bobobolas10 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 2:53 pm

E S V L wrote:Another big win for Memphis. 6th in a row.

What have we learnt:

1. Grayson is a legitimate NBA SG.
2. Melton is going to be very good very soon.
3. JJJ is a legitimate NBA center. Already. Right now.
4. JJJ is going to be a motherfathering beast.
5. Brooks is a god damn good SF.
6. Memphis, which is ran by 2 kids, competes against a #1 NBA regular season team ran by veterans.
7. Memphis is going to be a contender for years ahead. Our future is bright.
8. NBA doesn`t appreciate JV`s physical dominance over any center in NBA. And will never do.

Very optimistic with 1-2-3-4-5. Hopefully one day it'll be true.

6 is one way to put it that ive never heard before, still, very accurate. I like it.

7, We are missing a few pieces. I love every single player in our roster but if we want to be a contender, we need a slight upgrade in every position. Also, some better Defense to those allstar hall-of-famers that we will find in our way. At this point, we cant even defende Conley-gobert´s pnr

8 you think he is dominating Gobert? Id say Gobert is doing better than JV. I have not checked the stats or anything, im just saying it from my point of view. Overall, Gobert is having more impact in the game. In G3 and G4, JV was idle in 6 of 8 quarters. Remember JV the monster who would have +20+20 games. That aint happening in the series and you cant ask for that either because of gobert.
"Take that for Data!"
E S V L
Analyst

Post#16 » by E S V L » Wed Jun 2, 2021 2:58 pm

bobobolas10 wrote: 8 you think he (JV) is dominating Gobert? Id say Gobert is doing better than JV. I have not checked the stats or anything, im just saying it from my point of view. Overall, Gobert is having more impact in the game. In G3 and G4, JV was idle in 6 of 8 quarters. Remember JV the monster who would have +20+20 games. That aint happening in the series and you cant ask for that either because of gobert.

Let me leave the floor to Whole Truth on that :nod:
FK NFL
bobobolas10
Senior

Post#17 » by bobobolas10 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 3:08 pm

E S V L wrote:

:) He will get me some advanced stats and why JV is actually doing better, however, My point is that Gobert is having more impact in the series. His moving screens are the key that run the whole Jazz offensive playbook. They shot 34 three pointers and most of them were a moving screen and then, either our D collapses in the ballhandler and a pass to the open shooter or the other option is that the ballhandler is wide open himself and shoots a three.

Not gonna talk about the obvious impact Gobert has in his own board...
"Take that for Data!"
E S V L
Analyst

Post#18 » by E S V L » Wed Jun 2, 2021 3:26 pm

bobobolas10 wrote:
E S V L wrote:

:) He will get me some advanced stats and why JV is actually doing better, however, My point is that Gobert is having more impact in the series.

No. He will point out that officials have been successfully protecting Gobert and Co from JV`s and Brooks` physicality. JV completely outmuscled Gobert on several occasions this season, but not in this PO. I wonder why...
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#19 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jun 2, 2021 7:42 pm

E S V L wrote:
bobobolas10 wrote:
E S V L wrote:

:) He will get me some advanced stats and why JV is actually doing better, however, My point is that Gobert is having more impact in the series.

No. He will point out that officials have been successfully protecting Gobert and Co from JV`s and Brooks` physicality. JV completely outmuscled Gobert on several occasions this season, but not in this PO. I wonder why...

You saved me a long winded post. Gobert being allowed to play physical goes beyond his matchup with Jonas. Memphis strength as a team is in the post. Allowing Gobert to play overly physical where he can get way with an elbow to the face of Jonas, the refs are attacking Memphis strength as a team. On the flip side, Brooks is being called for cheap flopping calls on the perimeter after fighting through Gobert's MOVING screens where 3 fouls called is 9pts, which is the refs boosting Jazz's strength as a team, their 3pt shooting.. what they aren't hitting at a high rate, they're getting at the line.. Where Jonas can't even get a clear tech called in his favor. This has nullified what we knew going in.. his physicality has a history of giving Gobert issues, until know... because the refs are controlling who & how the players can play physical.

Putting the officials aside to focus on the topic of Jonas specifically. In a series everyone was expecting Jazz to sweep, Jonas has been +15, +5, -22, -1. Where Memphis could be as easily tied 2-2 with just better offensive execution alone, holding Jazz to 3 FG's made 4th Q of game 4. This not factoring the officials or the Utah players like DM flopping & being rewarded for it where 11 of their 20 4th Q pts came on the FT line, with little to no contact. See flop on Allen when Memphis were close to tying the game. lol. Those are momentum calls that keep favoring Utah every time Memphis has pulled close .. That's what gives the sense they've never been threatened, unfortunately it's the refs defending that threat with momentum calls, remember the Conley flop awarded last game & when it was given during Memphis run ??.

So tell me, how is it Memphis can't win with Jonas because of his PNR defense when the youngest team to make the playoffs since OKC could just as easily be tied 2-2 with the best team in the league not factoring the refs putting their prints on the game when everyone was expecting a sweep ?. It doesn't make sense but narrative are never easy to break.

This not considering Jazz' are the worst possible matchup for Jonas as his post efficiency has to square off against a DPOY post defender backed by refs allowing him to play him by fouling. His defense exploited with Conley being a top end PNR PG, DM a secondary creator that can break down a perimeter D, earn cheap fouls/pts & kick to 4 capable shooters who average 17 3's a game.

This is where Memphis need 3J to stand up, he's the teams small ball defender.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#20 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jun 2, 2021 7:57 pm

Game 1 Jonas was effective (+15) because Brooks was able to contain just Conley.

With DM back, Memphis have had to hide Ja off of DM & Conley where they have thinned Brooks perimeter coverage & effectively posted Morant up in combination.

My strategy would be to have Brooks on Conley & let DM get his with Ja on him, give him the 2, don't allow him to kick out, as Morant has easily been posted on a lesser scoring option. With DM drawing cheap fouls on good defense, it theoretically hides Morant on a player getting his whether it's on his own or awarded by cheap calls.

DM had 30pts on 8 FG's lol.. Good defense punished..

Return to Memphis Grizzlies