ImageImageImageImageImage

What players should the Warriors go after next season

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,138

Re: What players should the Warriors go after next season 

Post#181 » by Impuniti » Wed Jun 2, 2021 2:02 pm

Team needs 3 point shooters. Derozan is an amazing mid range and can score near the rim, but he's not someone you want for 3 point shooting.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#182 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 3:16 pm

weekend_warrior wrote:But then you need to let DeRozan handle the ball. Why would you do this over a Green&Curry combo? Or even if you think that DeRozan&Curry would be fine together (could work!), what do you do with Green?

It is the same story with Butler...

Warriors just have no use for another high-USG non-shooting player with big ego and salary.

Yeah, the idea would be that he gets his usage when Curry/Green are off the floor.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#183 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 3:25 pm

Impuniti wrote:Team needs 3 point shooters. Derozan is an amazing mid range and can score near the rim, but he's not someone you want for 3 point shooting.

The Warriors had 11 players over the 3 pt Mendoza line of .333 last year (if you count GP2), and most of them got better as the season went on. WIggins, Poole, JTA, and Lee are decent to good shooters, were improving, and are going to be back. Add to that that they will work on Pachall's shot for another year, and Mannion and Wiseman will probably shoot better and ... oh yeah, Klay Thompson will be back.

I'm not sure 3 point shooting just for 3 point shooting is a top need.
weekend_warrior
Pro Prospect
And1: 349

Post#184 » by weekend_warrior » Wed Jun 2, 2021 3:39 pm

If there was no salary cap I'd be all for it. But as things stand, I would rather have Wiggins with his solid 18PPG, solid 3P shooting, good defense and low USG% than any borderline star player that you need to heavily adjust the system for.

I am also quite optimistic about the potential of a line-up that heavily features Poole, Klay and Wiggins next year when Green and Curry sit.

Now if we could get a Jaylen Brown (type player), I am listening.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#185 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 3:53 pm

weekend_warrior wrote:If there was no salary cap I'd be all for it. But as things stand, I would rather have Wiggins with his solid 18PPG, solid 3P shooting, good defense and low USG% than any borderline star player that you need to heavily adjust the system for.

I am also quite optimistic about the potential of a line-up that heavily features Poole, Klay and Wiggins next year when Green and Curry sit.

Now if we could get a Jaylen Brown (type player), I am listening.

That lineup with Poole/Klay/Wiggins who is initiating the offense? JTA? Or are you looking to add a PG?

A vet big like Olynyk seems possible. It would be nice to get someone like Rondo to run the 2nd unit. But in some ways better would be TJ McConnell. Dragic would work.

The dream would Dinwiddie but I don't really have any idea how that can happen.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#186 » by ChuckDurn » Wed Jun 2, 2021 3:59 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
Impuniti wrote:Team needs 3 point shooters. Derozan is an amazing mid range and can score near the rim, but he's not someone you want for 3 point shooting.

The Warriors had 11 players over the 3 pt Mendoza line of .333 last year (if you count GP2), and most of them got better as the season went on. WIggins, Poole, JTA, and Lee are decent to good shooters, were improving, and are going to be back. Add to that that they will work on Pachall's shot for another year, and Mannion and Wiseman will probably shoot better and ... oh yeah, Klay Thompson will be back.

To me, this was the surprise of the season - how well the team shot 3's (aside from Curry, which was obviously expected). I legitimately questioned if they would have any significant contributors aside from Curry who shot even the league average percentage from 3-point land, and several did so.

I don't know that everybody you noted is going to be back (Lee, Paschall) or a significant contributor (Mannion), but with the return of Klay, emergence of Poole, improvement of Wiggins, etc.... I agree that 3-point shooting on its own isn't a huge concern. (Aside from the need to ensure there are sufficient shooters on the court to help with spacing). More important to me is getting players who can create and score for themselves, and DeRozan has significantly improved in his ability to distribute the ball, and can obviously score. Surrounded by getter players such as Steph, Klay, and Draymond, he might even do so more efficiently.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
weekend_warrior
Pro Prospect

Post#187 » by weekend_warrior » Wed Jun 2, 2021 4:05 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:That lineup with Poole/Klay/Wiggins who is initiating the offense? JTA? Or are you looking to add a PG?

A vet big like Olynyk seems possible. It would be nice to get someone like Rondo to run the 2nd unit. But in some ways better would be TJ McConnell. Dragic would work.

The dream would Dinwiddie but I don't really have any idea how that can happen.

I hope we can either get a veteran PG (MLE or ring chaser minimum) or get a talented guy from the top of the draft. And then have Poole and this guy share the responsibility of running the bench unit.

Ideally, there is a big that can shoot on that line-up as well. Maybe Wiseman can be the guy. Let's see...
wupuck
Freshman
And1: 18

Post#188 » by wupuck » Wed Jun 2, 2021 4:43 pm

weekend_warrior wrote:But then you need to let DeRozan handle the ball. Why would you do this over a Green&Curry combo? Or even if you think that DeRozan&Curry would be fine together (could work!), what do you do with Green?

It is the same story with Butler...

Warriors just have no use for another high-USG non-shooting player with big ego and salary.

I look at DeRozan as Igudala light - but with much better scoring, Good w/ the ball, can do some secondary playmaking coming off the bench or another ball handler to let Curry do his thing off the ball - during their championship runs, it was all the playmakers that made them so deadly, sure Durant is an awesome shooter, but Iggy and Livingston being able to facilitate in addition to curry & green is what really made the dubs so difficult to defend.

Also thought DeRozans defense was better but some in here are saying it isn't that good - IMHO it's still better than many in the NBA
weekend_warrior
Pro Prospect

Post#189 » by weekend_warrior » Wed Jun 2, 2021 5:16 pm

I have nothing against DeRozan, I'd like to add him to the roster if we could. But the problem is that we have no cap space and he will still earn significant money. A (sign&)trade for him would require us to send out Wiggins. Then probably to attach Assets to Wiggins to get the Spurs to do it. And I just don't see the point of DeRozan over Wiggins (and assets) when taking the roster construction into consideration.

When we got Iguodala, we had a roster of young/emerging players with quite some cap space. Now we are looking at a veteran team with 4 (close to) max players on the payroll and a huge luxury tax bill.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#190 » by ChuckDurn » Wed Jun 2, 2021 5:42 pm

weekend_warrior wrote:I have nothing against DeRozan, I'd like to add him to the roster if we could. But the problem is that we have no cap space and he will still earn significant money. A (sign&)trade for him would require us to send out Wiggins. Then probably to attach Assets to Wiggins to get the Spurs to do it. And I just don't see the point of DeRozan over Wiggins (and assets) when taking the roster construction into consideration.

When we got Iguodala, we had a roster of young/emerging players with quite some cap space. Now we are looking at a veteran team with 4 (close to) max players on the payroll and a huge luxury tax bill.

I think the premise was that DeRozan would somehow sign for the taxpayer’s mid-level exception (TP MLE), which is about $5.9M, in the interest of taking less money to chase a championship. I agree, I wouldn’t be particularly interested in paying a “full price” DeRozan, as it would force a trade, presumably of Wiggins.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
wupuck
Freshman
And1: 18

Post#191 » by wupuck » Wed Jun 2, 2021 6:10 pm

weekend_warrior wrote:I have nothing against DeRozan, I'd like to add him to the roster if we could. But the problem is that we have no cap space and he will still earn significant money. A (sign&)trade for him would require us to send out Wiggins. Then probably to attach Assets to Wiggins to get the Spurs to do it. And I just don't see the point of DeRozan over Wiggins (and assets) when taking the roster construction into consideration.

You really need to stop killing the feel good attitudes w/ your facts and logic...

Part of my initial thought was due to the lack of understanding of the Dubs current salary cap and if they could pull a S&T w/ Oubre. That would allow Derozen to make more than the MLE but less than max and slot him into Oubre's outgoing salary slot. Pretty clear its all but impossible that route since there are 4 max players on the team. Which is a bummer to because my thought process would be w/ DeRozan playing the Iggy slot w/ Klay coming back - even if the dubs didn't add many other significant pieces, maybe bringing back a Chriss or somehow slotting a Portis into the MLE that would vault the dubs back into the upper echelon of playoff contention while retaining Wiseman and the new rookie(s) that would come in this draft.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,125

Post#192 » by TB » Wed Jun 2, 2021 6:32 pm

One of my worries with Derozan is that his team has been better with him off the court 11 of his 12 seasons. I understand that alot of things can go into those numbers, but i'm still wounded from overlooking that exact metric when wanting Oubre last year.
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,290

Post#193 » by GunnerWRX » Wed Jun 2, 2021 6:35 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:

I agree. I don't think 3-pt shooting is a top need either.

We need another 1-2 rotation bigs who can be a threat. Threat doesn't necessarily mean a 3-pt stretch big. A rim runner or one who can hit a 15-footer once in a while is ok too. Or at least being able to finish when he catches a pass right below the rim.

During the key games late in the season, when both Draymond and Looney are on the court at the same time, you can often see opponent's defense ignoring *both* of them. They basically have 5 defenders focusing on 3 of our players. Our offense spacing is also screwed because of that.

If Draymond doesn't shoot and can't make a layup, I like Looney but we need more options than Looney at center.
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,290

Post#194 » by GunnerWRX » Wed Jun 2, 2021 6:44 pm

DeRozan is a good plan B if the Spurs and Oubre want each other, and assuming the MLE is not enough for him (or we use the MLE for other needs).

1-yr $20 or $30/2 is more than anything DeRozan can get as a FA. He can anchor our bench. The key to our bench is to stay even and don't cough up leads when Steph is resting. DeRozan should help against opponents' bench. Play slower (fewer possessions when Steph sits). Don't cough up leads. Hold down the fort while Steph is on the bench.

One concern is that DeRozan -2.5 when on court with the Spurs this season.

http://www.82games.com/2021/2021SAS.HTM

His best season was only +0.2 with the Spurs.

I am not confident that Kerr can figure out a way to utilize DeRozan if Pops failed to do so.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#195 » by FNQ » Wed Jun 2, 2021 6:49 pm

GunnerWRX wrote:DeRozan is a good plan B if the Spurs and Oubre want each other, and assuming the MLE is not enough for him (or we use the MLE for other needs).

1-yr $20 or $30/2 is more than anything DeRozan can get as a FA. He can anchor our bench. The key to our bench is to stay even and don't cough up leads when Steph is resting. DeRozan should help against opponents' bench. Play slower (fewer possessions when Steph sits). Don't cough up leads. Hold down the fort while Steph is on the bench.

no
nyet
nein
non
ei
ochi

A team with Wiggins and DeRozan.. I would not like watching that
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#196 » by lars_rosenberg » Wed Jun 2, 2021 7:58 pm

DeRozan is not what we need. If he signs for the MLE then fine, he can be our sixth man, otherwise I'm happy with Poole as the spark off the bench and with Wiggins, much better fit in this team, as the starting 3.
If a star player is available for trading we should absolutely pursue him, but DeRozan is not that kind of player.
I want players like Paul George, Kyle Lowry, Pascal Siakam, Malcolm Brogdon, Domantas Sabonis, Bradley Beal etc.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,112

Post#197 » by cpower » Wed Jun 2, 2021 9:20 pm

lars_rosenberg wrote:DeRozan is not what we need. If he signs for the MLE then fine, he can be our sixth man, otherwise I'm happy with Poole as the spark off the bench and with Wiggins, much better fit in this team, as the starting 3.
If a star player is available for trading we should absolutely pursue him, but DeRozan is not that kind of player.
I want players like Paul George, Kyle Lowry, Pascal Siakam, Malcolm Brogdon, Domantas Sabonis, Bradley Beal etc.

Derozan is not far off from Siakam and Beal..actually

i would rank them as PG, Lowry, Sabonis, Beal/Brogdon/Siakam/Derozan. Beal and Siakam is ballhog and wont work too well in our system.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,375

Post#198 » by ILOVEIT » Thu Jun 3, 2021 12:00 am

FNQ wrote:
GunnerWRX wrote:DeRozan is a good plan B if the Spurs and Oubre want each other, and assuming the MLE is not enough for him (or we use the MLE for other needs).

no
nyet
nein
non
ei
ochi

A team with Wiggins and DeRozan.. I would not like watching that

Exno (pig lattin)

But seriously....I'm not stopping the Warriors offense so a guy that can't shoot from where he is at takes a few minutes to get to his spot on the block.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
BBQ Thurmond
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#199 » by BBQ Thurmond » Thu Jun 3, 2021 12:02 am

GunnerWRX wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

I agree. I don't think 3-pt shooting is a top need either.

We need another 1-2 rotation bigs who can be a threat. Threat doesn't necessarily mean a 3-pt stretch big. A rim runner or one who can hit a 15-footer once in a while is ok too. Or at least being able to finish when he catches a pass right below the rim.

During the key games late in the season, when both Draymond and Looney are on the court at the same time, you can often see opponent's defense ignoring [b]*both* of them. They basically have 5 defenders focusing on 3 of our players. Our offense spacing is also screwed because of that.[/b]

If Draymond doesn't shoot and can't make a layup, I like Looney but we need more options than Looney at center.

Two options are currently available on the roster to address this:
1. Start JTA with Draymond and go really small;
2. Go back to starting Wiseman and hope that Kerr and his staff can get Wiseman to channel Bogut into his playing style.

I like Looney, but not on the court at same time with Draymond.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,578

Post#200 » by HiRez » Thu Jun 3, 2021 3:23 am

I really think Wiseman, with a full offseason and training camp, watching video of himself, is going to see how badly he gets out-rebounded by smaller and hungrier players. And how he's telegraphing his blocks. He needs to balance being more aggressive with foul trouble and he'll be fine.

Offensively, Kerr needs to start hitting him rolling off picks because he's been pretty good at it and can cover a ton of ground without dribbling. That needs to be taken advantage of. More of that and less shooting long 2s. But Kerr has a long-term allergy to the pick and roll even with about the best PNR player you could ever hope for in Stephen Curry, so I'm not too hopeful about that part.

Return to Golden State Warriors