ImageImageImageImageImage

WISEMAN EXPECTATIONS: Year 1

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,135

Re: WISEMAN EXPECTATIONS: Year 1 

Post#1681 » by wco81 » Mon May 31, 2021 5:33 pm

I thought he was playing better before injury.

Not necessarily good enough but better.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#1682 » by and1GS » Mon May 31, 2021 5:37 pm

I'm ok with him working on guard skills. It's about picking your moments better and not pretending to be a PG (I think it was the Rockets game where he put it on the floor a ton and had his worst game as a pro). Like poster further up said, game has to slow down and it will take time.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#1683 » by Scoots1994 » Mon May 31, 2021 9:17 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
cdubbz wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:I wonder if Wiseman will do something revolutionary in the modern NBA and actually box out?

Ayton is still CRAZY inconsistent. The number of single/single games he still has as a 1st overall big in his 3rd year is pretty bad.

Maybe this series will wake him up.

He tricked you guys pre draft with his IG workouts of ball handling and guard drills

Tricked? Every big needs to work on those aspects of his game to be anything of significance in the modern NBA. I just think he needs more minutes on the floor to let the game slow for him and to get stronger not necessarily bigger. It’s funny to me that so many Warriors’ fans have given up on JW already.

The thing is we KNEW Wiseman was incredibly raw and that he was going to take time to develop. And more than playing time, he desperately needed (and needs) a full offseason of work with the team to get physically and mentally ready to earn those minutes.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,125

Post#1684 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 1:53 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
cdubbz wrote:
He tricked you guys pre draft with his IG workouts of ball handling and guard drills

Tricked? Every big needs to work on those aspects of his game to be anything of significance in the modern NBA. I just think he needs more minutes on the floor to let the game slow for him and to get stronger not necessarily bigger. It’s funny to me that so many Warriors’ fans have given up on JW already.

The thing is we KNEW Wiseman was incredibly raw and that he was going to take time to develop. And more than playing time, he desperately needed (and needs) a full offseason of work with the team to get physically and mentally ready to earn those minutes.

raw, al dente, cooked

doesn't change the fact that his archetype is not a good fit on this team.

the quicker you guys admit this the easier these conversations will be.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,135

Post#1685 » by wco81 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 2:53 am

One thing that athletic bigs seem to have problems with is injuries.

AD and Embiid both got injured this weekend driving to the hoop.

They're muscular, skilled and can do things that conventional big men can't. But they seem more brittle.

That isn't the case with Giannis or wasn't the case with David Robinson.

Otherwise, big 270-pound human beings trying to do fancy Euro-step moves seem to break down.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,694

Post#1686 » by whatisacenter » Wed Jun 2, 2021 3:05 am

clyde21 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

raw, al dente, cooked

No sense in having any conversations with you about Wiseman. You have him pigeon holed as some “archetype” that won’t work with the team and you seem gleeful in your opinion.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1687 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 12:33 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

raw, al dente, cooked

Go back to my pre-draft posts. I was there with the value of the 5 being so far down in the modern NBA. So, now that we have "admitted" this, where are we? The Warriors drafted him for his potential to fit the team and the team to fit him, so this is where we are now. If he plays like Bogut did that would be good, if he plays like a cross between Marc Gasol and Anthony Davis that would be great. That is what potential brings.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,181

Post#1688 » by EvanZ » Wed Jun 2, 2021 1:13 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

raw, al dente, cooked

Go back to my pre-draft posts. I was there with the value of the 5 being so far down in the modern NBA. So, now that we have "admitted" this, where are we? The Warriors drafted him for his potential to fit the team and the team to fit him, so this is where we are now. If he plays like Bogut did that would be good, if he plays like a cross between Marc Gasol and Anthony Davis that would be great. That is what potential brings.

What if he plays like DeAndre Jordan in 5 years? Or Jonas Valanciunas in 10 years?

I hope people finally are coming to grips with the joke that Wiseman was the "best fit". :lol:
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1689 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 3:08 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
raw, al dente, cooked

What if he plays like DeAndre Jordan in 5 years? Or Jonas Valanciunas in 10 years?

I hope people finally are coming to grips with the joke that Wiseman was the "best fit". :lol:

Then he does. Wiseman's ceiling is very high, his floor is still functional.

People jumping to conclusions are either not paying attention or are stupid NBA fans.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,125

Post#1690 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 5:39 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

raw, al dente, cooked

i mean...why stop there, why not if plays like Malone or Olajuwon?
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#1691 » by FNQ » Wed Jun 2, 2021 6:40 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

People jumping to conclusions are either not paying attention or are stupid NBA fans.

Had one of the worst metric ratings in the league. How is his floor "functional"? What does that even mean?
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#1692 » by EvanZ » Wed Jun 2, 2021 6:46 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:

THIS IS HIS FLOOR! :lol:

I mean we saw his floor. It wasn't all that functional.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,106

Post#1693 » by GSWFan1994 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 7:51 pm

God forbids James Wiseman behaves like a 19-year old.

Some people here, apparently, were born instantly with the knowledge of a 90-year old man with 19 college degrees.
northoakland510
Starter
And1: 607

Post#1694 » by northoakland510 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 8:00 pm

The kid definitely has some growing up and improving to do. But Kerr and Bob deserve a good amount of blame. Oubre and Draymond on the floor with Wiseman provided no real spacing. Then having him on the floor with Oubre and Poole on defense did him no favors at all. The roster construction was poor and did not help Wiseman at all.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 217

Post#1695 » by sonnyhill » Wed Jun 2, 2021 8:52 pm

It would make sense to rename the thread to "WISEMAN EXPECTATIONS: Year 2"

It is not too much of a stretch to see Wiseman (if healthy) paired with Green and Wiggins in the front court playing away at both the mid-range and on the perimeter on offense (a much better alternative than Looney). Wiseman has a soft outside shot and could force opposing defenses to pull their centers away from the paint giving other Warrior offensive players open cutting lanes to the basket.

It is Wiseman's defense and lack of rebounding skills which causes concern. He consistently gets beaten in one-on-one matchups vs other centers, is slow on rotations and help defense, and never wins contested rebounds. Can he improve in these areas of his game?

I am rooting for the kid; yet, I also agree with Clyde that he may not be a good fit for this Warrior roster. Let's hope that Wiseman recovers-and-rehabs his knee effectively and can develop his game during both the offseason and preseason.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,326

Post#1696 » by KevinMcreynolds » Wed Jun 2, 2021 11:40 pm

I'd be shocked if Wiseman, #6 and #14 are on our team next year. I think at least 2 out of those 3 assets are traded.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
and1GS
RealGM
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#1697 » by and1GS » Thu Jun 3, 2021 12:37 am

I agree. Factor in Jessup will be coming over and Mannion will likely not be cut - that's 5 guys at the rookie step of their learning curve. It's just too much learning and pressure for what amounts to nearly half our rotation.

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1698 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 3:09 am

and1GS wrote:I agree. Factor in Jessup will be coming over and Mannion will likely not be cut - that's 5 guys at the rookie step of their learning curve. It's just too much learning and pressure for what amounts to nearly half our rotation.

5 out of 17 players under contract is near 1/2?

One thing is certain, we are going to learn a lot about the franchise in the next 12 months.
and1GS
RealGM

Post#1699 » by and1GS » Thu Jun 3, 2021 4:21 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
and1GS wrote:I agree. Factor in Jessup will be coming over and Mannion will likely not be cut - that's 5 guys at the rookie step of their learning curve. It's just too much learning and pressure for what amounts to nearly half our rotation.

One thing is certain, we are going to learn a lot about the franchise in the next 12 months.

I wrote in the rotation. Unless you think we're drafting two lotto players and somehow signing them to two way deals.

Wiseman and Minny pick will definitely be in the top 8 rotation. Late lotto pick and Jessup will probably be in the rotation/scrapping for it. Mannion will be on the outside looking in. With those first two cohorts, it's 4 out of 8 rotation spots. Say Jessup or #14 don't cut it, that's 3/8...or 'nearly half' as I noted.

When I say rotation I definitely don't mean players 10-17.

EvanZ
RealGM

Post#1700 » by EvanZ » Thu Jun 3, 2021 4:36 pm

and1GS wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

I wrote in the rotation. Unless you think we're drafting two lotto players and somehow signing them to two way deals.

Wiseman and Minny pick will definitely be in the top 8 rotation.

The Minny pick would likely be a 19-year old. You can't guarantee he'd be in the rotation. Not if we're actually trying to chase wins. :lol:

This is why the picks should in all likelihood be traded.

Return to Golden State Warriors