ImageImageImageImageImage

ROUND 1, GAME 5: Mavericks @ Clippers 7:00PM 6/2/2021

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

RingColluder
Pro Prospect
And1: 240

ROUND 1, GAME 5: Mavericks @ Clippers 7:00PM 6/2/2021 

Post#1 » by RingColluder » Tue Jun 1, 2021 10:43 pm

The biggest test for this game will be how Carlisle responds to Batum and if they can exploit him. I'd also look to see Brunson get a lot more minutes and potentially Powell as well. Hardaway had an off night which I wouldn't bet on again, but I see no fear or issue with letting Porzingis get whatever he wants.

Kawhi did an amazing job on both ends of the court particularly with neutralizing Luka.

I'm hopeful yet concerned that with the minutes load they have gotten we might have to see a gas out (but could also come from the Mavs side). It is astonishing to see both of our max players, particularly George be playing this consistently as a scorer and it's not something we can count on to continue. We'll need TMann, and Morris to continue to shoulder the load in case a star player of ours falters in a game. Bev has proven he is washed up as many of us said, and thank god we have Rondo and TMann who make up one of my favorite lineups in the Clippers this playoff series so far.

I still like our chances, but this will be a major chess move on Carlisle's part. Either they continue to show no answers for us and the series will be over after the next game in a similar fashion, or he makes a matchup change that changes the entire complexion of the series again and it's back to doomsday lol.

Let this be a lesson: Never throw games. We had a much easier series against the Trailblazers that Lue foolishly threw away to avoid the Lakers (who at this rate won't even be there) and our star players may be gassing out again just like last year. Let's hope that's not the case but obviously a critical game 5.

Kawhi: Continue to be you.

PG: Attack the paint and draw contact for fouls. None of those consistently dumb contested 2's from deep you take (but have cut back on) or foolish careless passes. Avoid foul trouble!

Bev/Zu: Find nice warm spots on the bench.

Reggie/Tmann: Pace pace pace. Particularly with Reggie like PG, don't look to do it all yourself. Best offensive role for you is as a spot up.

Batum: Whatever you've been doing, continent to do so. Surprisingly one of the best surprises of the playoffs.

Morris: Keep talking to your brother at halftime lol.

Rondo: Get more minutes. I can't find a second of play when you're on the court where you are a negative for the team. Wish you played even more.
Kelphus
Senior
And1: 533

Re: ROUND 1, GAME 5: Mavericks @ Clippers 7:00PM 6/2/2021 

Post#2 » by Kelphus » Wed Jun 2, 2021 7:09 am

The beating Mavs took in Dallas had to be dispiriting. Just like the fLakers had their backs broken in Phoenix in their game 5.

Vegas believes- Clippers 7 point favs. I think that is conservative. I don't think Doncic's neck is a factor, what is a factor is we finally got a lineup which limits him while the rest of the Mavs had the law of averages catch up with then on their shooting.

Clips took control of the series in Dallas Saturday.
They'll officially do so tonight in Staples. GO CLIPPERS
The Clipper fan understands the Book of Exodus better than anyone... what it's like to struggle 40 years in the wilderness... and Genesis.. why Cain went after Abel... So fLakers, look out... we're coming.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#3 » by RingColluder » Wed Jun 2, 2021 7:51 am

Kelphus wrote:The beating Mavs took in Dallas had to be dispiriting. Just like the fLakers had their backs broken in Phoenix in their game 5.

Vegas believes- Clippers 7 point favs. I think that is conservative. I don't think Doncic's neck is a factor, what is a factor is we finally got a lineup which limits him while the rest of the Mavs had the law of averages catch up with then on their shooting.

Seems like the main difference was putting Kawhi on Luka more, no? Doncic had injury issues last year and was still a problem.

I'm still hedging my bets considerably. All it takes is for Carlisle to find a way to take advantage of Batum and we're back to having trash Zu in the lineup and our defense is a turnstile. I also don't anticipate them being that cold from 3 again, and like said it's shocking how consistent PG has been scoring wise. Probably him driving to the basket has just taken his level to a lot more consistency but if he starts falling in love with that jumper again could be close.

I'm anticipating a close game but hope to be pleasantly surprised by a nice comfortable game like the last 2. And even still, gotta win one more. Just taking it one game at a time.
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 918

Post#4 » by NickP » Wed Jun 2, 2021 3:15 pm

Kelphus wrote:The beating Mavs took in Dallas had to be dispiriting. Just like the fLakers had their backs broken in Phoenix in their game 5.

We simply cannot afford to lose game 5 because then the task becomes exponentially difficult. Looks like the team to win at home wins this series.
Every time I've seen Luka play he always has this expression of pain, he always seems to be wincing when he's losing games. This comes from watching him play in regular season also.
Anyway, let's hope we start playing serious ball from the tip off and not play catch-up.
Go Clippers!!!
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,744

Post#5 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Jun 2, 2021 5:45 pm

RingColluder wrote:I'm still hedging my bets considerably. All it takes is for Carlisle to find a way to take advantage of Batum and we're back to having trash Zu in the lineup and our defense is a turnstile. I also don't anticipate them being that cold from 3 again, and like said it's shocking how consistent PG has been scoring wise. Probably him driving to the basket has just taken his level to a lot more consistency but if he starts falling in love with that jumper again could be close.

I'm anticipating a close game but hope to be pleasantly surprised by a nice comfortable game like the last 2. And even still, gotta win one more. Just taking it one game at a time.

I don't totally discount your concern about Batum. But he is a smart, heady wing player who is more of a jack of all trades, which makes it harder to really target and exploit. He's no longer a spring chicken and needs to stay fresh, but fortunately we don't need 40 MPG from him.

I heard last night that the main difference with PG in this series is more shots at the basket, it's not like he's converting an abnormally high percentage, it's just a higher percentage shot to begin with. What would be really great is to see him put together a game where he's playing aggressively but also hitting his 3's at closer to his season average. If he does that he's in line for a 40 point game for us.

I won't mind a closer game, as long as we are playing aggressively and making smart decisions I think we will prevail. Hopefully we will stay sharp and keep that underdog mentality, I think that's what the first 2 games and first quarter of game 3 taught us to do. I haven't read any quotes or heard any sound bites, but I am guessing the general attitude is not "we took back the series,' so much as "we won 2 games, but it's now 2-2 and now it's anybody's series to take."
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#6 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Jun 2, 2021 6:22 pm

I'm pretty nervous about this game due to how awful they've played at home this series. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure our last home playoff win was in that Jazz series all the way back in 2017. That streak has to end sometime, right?

Really hoping the last two wins haven't gone to this team's head and they come out focused and prepared again tonight.
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 918

Post#7 » by NickP » Wed Jun 2, 2021 6:52 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:I'm pretty nervous about this game due to how awful they've played at home this series. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure our last home playoff win was in that Jazz series all the way back in 2017. That streak has to end sometime, right?

Really hoping the last two wins haven't gone to this team's head and they come out focused and prepared again tonight.

I'm hoping the team and the coaching staff have learnt their costly lessons.
I have full faith in Kawhi and Rondo. They'll bring this home. Of course we do have to play this game like a game 7.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#8 » by RingColluder » Wed Jun 2, 2021 8:18 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
RingColluder wrote:I'm still hedging my bets considerably. All it takes is for Carlisle to find a way to take advantage of Batum and we're back to having trash Zu in the lineup and our defense is a turnstile. I also don't anticipate them being that cold from 3 again, and like said it's shocking how consistent PG has been scoring wise. Probably him driving to the basket has just taken his level to a lot more consistency but if he starts falling in love with that jumper again could be close.

I don't totally discount your concern about Batum. But he is a smart, heady wing player who is more of a jack of all trades, which makes it harder to really target and exploit. He's no longer a spring chicken and needs to stay fresh, but fortunately we don't need 40 MPG from him.

I heard last night that the main difference with PG in this series is more shots at the basket, it's not like he's converting an abnormally high percentage, it's just a higher percentage shot to begin with. What would be really great is to see him put together a game where he's playing aggressively but also hitting his 3's at closer to his season average. If he does that he's in line for a 40 point game for us.

I won't mind a closer game, as long as we are playing aggressively and making smart decisions I think we will prevail. Hopefully we will stay sharp and keep that underdog mentality, I think that's what the first 2 games and first quarter of game 3 taught us to do. I haven't read any quotes or heard any sound bites, but I am guessing the general attitude is not "we took back the series,' so much as "we won 2 games, but it's now 2-2 and now it's anybody's series to take."

I don't count on him to always hit those 3's and play defense. No one has been scouting him till now, I look to see how they look to attack him now.

Yes, PG is just driving more. His egotistical nature has gone away (till now) and has stopped playing that awful style of ball he played throughout most of the RS. Glad to see Ty Lue finally put his foot down.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#9 » by RingColluder » Wed Jun 2, 2021 8:18 pm

NickP wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:I'm pretty nervous about this game due to how awful they've played at home this series. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure our last home playoff win was in that Jazz series all the way back in 2017. That streak has to end sometime, right?

I'm hoping the team and the coaching staff have learnt their costly lessons.
I have full faith in Kawhi and Rondo. They'll bring this home. Of course we do have to play this game like a game 7.

You've finally come to your senses on the two players that inspire the most confidence. Good to see progress.

Edit: Baiting, come on man, og15
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,943

Post#10 » by ducler » Wed Jun 2, 2021 8:48 pm

Read on Twitter
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,164

Post#11 » by og15 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 10:08 pm

I don't like to connect patterns from rosters that aren't relevant to the current team. 2017 was a totally different roster, those are nice notables, but mean nothing in regards to this team. It's those kinda stats that broadcasts will drop during a game and you're like, "well, yea, but it means nothing here".

Of course last season's playoffs there was no "home", so basically all this means is that the 8th seed Clippers didn't win a home game vs the Warriors (well, whatever) and that this team lost game 1 and 2.

So in terms of comparing to the previous home games this series, 1) Does Dallas shoot lights out from 3PT again (anything is possible, but not a likely outcome either) 2) Will Lue suddenly play Bev and Zubac more? (Extremely unlikely)

So being at home isn't what I would worry about. Beating a team 3 times in a row is always going to be tough though, that's probably the hardest part, the second probably is that Dallas sees this as a must win and likely feels like if they lose tonight, game 6 becomes even higher pressure.

It will be interesting to see if Carlisle puts out a lineup anticipating Clippers small ball and tries to discourage it. Of course whether that will work or not is a different story.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,407

Post#12 » by Roscoe Sheed » Wed Jun 2, 2021 11:46 pm

I'm worried that Porzingis is going to have a break out game. Everybody is criticizing him- comparing him to Bargnani. If he has some pride he may play really hard and focused in this game. Also, for some reason Dallas loves to shoot at Staples against the Clippers, so they have to stay glued to their 3 point shooters- most specifically Hardaway and Kleber
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#13 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Jun 2, 2021 11:48 pm

For me, it's not the players I'm worried about, it's Carlisle. I'm sure he has a whole list of adjustments ready for this game. I'm a LOT less sure that Lue does - especially since it took him until Game 4 just to make the most obvious adjustment of the series.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#14 » by RingColluder » Thu Jun 3, 2021 1:05 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:I'm worried that Porzingis is going to have a break out game. Everybody is criticizing him- comparing him to Bargnani. If he has some pride he may play really hard and focused in this game. Also, for some reason Dallas loves to shoot at Staples against the Clippers, so they have to stay glued to their 3 point shooters- most specifically Hardaway and Kleber

Way more concerned PG will have an off game. Porzingis I could not be less worried about.

And Carlisle is imo a better coach than Lue. So yes, him and Batum I am concerned with.
Max Headrom
Sixth Man
And1: 2,202

Post#15 » by Max Headrom » Thu Jun 3, 2021 1:08 am

MartinToVaught wrote:For me, it's not the players I'm worried about, it's Carlisle. I'm sure he has a whole list of adjustments ready for this game. I'm a LOT less sure that Lue does - especially since it took him until Game 4 just to make the most obvious adjustment of the series.

Uh, Bobi is starting in place of Maxi so, I'd say Rick has officially pushed his panic button...lol
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,426

Post#16 » by TrueLAfan » Thu Jun 3, 2021 1:09 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:I'm worried that Porzingis is going to have a break out game. Everybody is criticizing him- comparing him to Bargnani. If he has some pride he may play really hard and focused in this game. Also, for some reason Dallas loves to shoot at Staples against the Clippers, so they have to stay glued to their 3 point shooters- most specifically Hardaway and Kleber

It’s a possibility. Like I said in another thread, my guess is that Dallas will return to the offense they ran during the season, using Porzingis as a shooter rather than a secondary passer. The Mavs are putting up four less shots per game in the playoffs—and all of that dropoff is coming from Porzingis. But they felt—correctly—it was worth it. The extra ball movement seemed to throw us off, and Hardaway/Brunson/Etc. all had good games. Whether that was because they took advantage of our imperfect D or they just got super lucky—don’t know. Doesn’t matter.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#17 » by NippySudz » Thu Jun 3, 2021 1:31 am

I'm worried about hardaway and those other guys shooting the lights out again.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by NippySudz » Thu Jun 3, 2021 1:40 am

Read on Twitter

Idk if I like this or not.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#19 » by NippySudz » Thu Jun 3, 2021 1:54 am

I'm very nervous about this game. Very pivotal game.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#20 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Jun 3, 2021 1:59 am

Are we gonna get a bunch of zone this game?
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers