Image ImageImage Image

OT: Bears Talk - Justin Fields era begins

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,200

Re: OT: Bears Talk - Justin Fields era begins 

Post#661 » by fleet » Sun May 30, 2021 1:39 am

dice wrote:
CaPiTanAK wrote:
dice wrote:so i heard on waddle and silvy that justin fields's hands measured only in the 16th percentile (smallish). the college ball is slightly smaller in circumference. there has long been a theory that GMs factor that in. problem is, studies show no correlation between performance and hand size

Mike Vick can rip that football with his measly 8"5' hand.

yeah, but that's entirely arm strength. vick also fumbled a lot

At the end of the day, it is an advantage he does not have, but that is not the same as a disadvantage. It didn’t bother me after I found out Mahomes and Watson have small hands too. As far as physical issues go, If things like hand size and funky mechanics dropped him, production seems more important. So does accuracy and arm strength. I don’t know, but he has enough outright advantages to deal with one thing that is not average. I think Joe Burrow’s hands are a hair smaller than Fields’.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
MAQ
RealGM
And1: 2,885

Post#662 » by MAQ » Sun May 30, 2021 1:42 am

dice wrote:
MAQ wrote:That jersey thing would be impressive if Tebow didnt come in at number 1 and 2 as well.

Think Brady was also 1 and 2 last year.

well...tebow is god in florida. and apparently the nfl does a lot of their jersey sales at the local level

No level of reasoning will square that away in my head.
GYBE wrote:I don't think my behaviour changes at all when I'm drunk. But when I'm wasted, my girlfriend becomes a real klutz. She starts walking into doors and falling down stairs. Weird.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,810

Post#663 » by Dresden » Sun May 30, 2021 4:11 am

Quote in the papers today from Jay Cutler regarding Justin Fields playing right away. Jay says he would sit him, let him learn on the bench, thought it would be too difficult to jump right in and play, esp. in Chicago. On the other hand, he thinks Andy Dalton is more than capable of playing in the meantime.
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 729

Post#664 » by Hold That » Sun May 30, 2021 4:22 am

MAQ wrote:That jersey thing would be impressive if Tebow didnt come in at number 1 and 2 as well.

Teabow won’t sustain that pace unless he miraculously turns into an all-pro TE. Which we all doubt that happens. It’s very possible for Fields to be 1,2, and 3 by the start of the season if he looks good in training camp and pre season
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,948

Post#665 » by Chi town » Sun May 30, 2021 4:25 am

Hold That wrote:

Teabow won’t sustain that pace unless he miraculously turns into an all-pro TE. Which we all doubt that happens. It’s very possible for Fields to be 1,2, and 3 by the start of the season if he looks good in training camp and pre season

If he performs I’ll be buying one. Want to upgrade from my 54 jersey
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#666 » by fleet » Sun May 30, 2021 8:16 am

MAQ wrote:
dice wrote:

well...tebow is god in florida. and apparently the nfl does a lot of their jersey sales at the local level

No level of reasoning will square that away in my head.

Both Tebow and Brady are very popular. Polarizing, and popular. Fields is not polarizing, but he is in good company otherwise.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,620

Post#667 » by dougthonus » Sun May 30, 2021 3:46 pm

TyrusRose2425 wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
TyrusRose2425 wrote:For me it's mostly about creating a little bit of cap room (I think it does that at least). Then your lottery ticket is in the 6th or 7th, but I wouldn't be picky about that

Not sure what you mean? You think a 6th or 7th is better than a 5th due to salary? Or you think a 6th or 7th is better than a UDFA because of salary? I don't think either of those things are true. I'd imagine there is likely no gap (all of them are at the league minimum) or the gap is extremely small (all irrelevantly close to the league minimum).

No I obviously prefer a 5th rounder, I was just saying where the value in trading Foles for a 6th or 7th rounder also exists. Basically if no one offers a 5th, I still accept a 6th or a 7th for him. Obviously would take a 5th instead of 6th or 7th or both.

Yeah, I'd probably give Foles away for anything. Heck, I'd give him away to a team willing to pay his salary if it freed up cap room.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,620

Post#668 » by dougthonus » Sun May 30, 2021 3:55 pm

CaPiTanAK wrote:You don't create the largest company in the world and become the richest man in the world, by not knowing how to evaluate talent.

This will sound somewhat contradictory, but I think people underestimate how important a great leader is at the top of a firm to generate its success. People often think these guys who ran these massive companies don't really do anything important, and I don't think that's true. They're very important.

At the same time, their skill at navigating a huge company (like Amazon in this case) to the top shouldn't be evidence of their ability to do something similar in a totally different field where they have no knowledge. Yes, Bezos probably was a great leader and hugely important for the company he dedicated his life to and knows everything about. That doesn't mean Bezos could take over a football team and apply the same lessons and have any success whatsoever.

Even things like "hiring the right people" is not a skill. We all would say we want to do that if running the right company, but it's really, really hard to hire the right people in an area where you don't already have enough knowledge to gauge whom the right people are. I would be great at hiring the right people if I'm picking out software developers but probably not great if picking out Sales or Marketing staff as an example.

The most important thing you can hope for as a fan is to get an owner that is passionate about the team winning and wealthy enough that they don't care at all about the profit.

If Bezos buys the Chicago Bulls, we would be a Super Bowl title contending team year after year. The reason is that Bezos gives zero crap about short term picture. He's all about sacrificing short term gains for long term dynasty.

Well the Bulls certainly aren't winning the NBA title any time soon, so a superbowl would be pretty sweet (I kid, I know what you meant).

I don't think the Bears have had a huge problem of only thinking short term or anything like that and don't think removing such a barrier would be a solution for them. In the end, the Bears problem is they've never had a franchise QB. Changing owners wouldn't likely solve that problem. They've certainly spent a lot of draft capital over the years attempting to get one but have just never hit on one. Hopefully with Fields that is a problem we've already solved and just aren't sure of yet, but time will tell.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#669 » by Susan » Sun May 30, 2021 9:31 pm

dougthonus wrote:
TyrusRose2425 wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
Not sure what you mean? You think a 6th or 7th is better than a 5th due to salary? Or you think a 6th or 7th is better than a UDFA because of salary? I don't think either of those things are true. I'd imagine there is likely no gap (all of them are at the league minimum) or the gap is extremely small (all irrelevantly close to the league minimum).

No I obviously prefer a 5th rounder, I was just saying where the value in trading Foles for a 6th or 7th rounder also exists. Basically if no one offers a 5th, I still accept a 6th or a 7th for him. Obviously would take a 5th instead of 6th or 7th or both.

Yeah, I'd probably give Foles away for anything. Heck, I'd give him away to a team willing to pay his salary if it freed up cap room.

If Foles can't get you a 5th and Fields wins the job outright from day one - keep Foles and cut Dalton mid year to get back the comp 5th rounder.

Foles could still be a sufficient backup next year and they're already paying him a bit regardless.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#670 » by fleet » Wed Jun 2, 2021 1:09 pm

even Lebron is following Justin Fields’ leadership. Borrows “Im built for this”

Lebron:

‘These Shoulders Were Built For A Reason

But we dont want Justin to fail like Lebron :wink:
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#671 » by fleet » Wed Jun 2, 2021 8:46 pm

Read on Twitter
Susan
RealGM

Post#672 » by Susan » Wed Jun 2, 2021 9:54 pm

fleet wrote:
Read on Twitter

I love his touch. His deep ball reminds me so much of Russ.

Your boy Dazz broke his collarbone today though.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,134

Post#673 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Jun 3, 2021 12:10 am

Dresden wrote:Quote in the papers today from Jay Cutler regarding Justin Fields playing right away. Jay says he would sit him, let him learn on the bench, thought it would be too difficult to jump right in and play, esp. in Chicago. On the other hand, he thinks Andy Dalton is more than capable of playing in the meantime.

Funny how bias works. I am all for sitting him and letting him come along... but then Cutler says that's what he would do and I instantly want to start him game 1 now.
TyrusRose2425
Head Coach
And1: 4,589

Post#674 » by TyrusRose2425 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 5:32 am

Susan wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
TyrusRose2425 wrote:No I obviously prefer a 5th rounder, I was just saying where the value in trading Foles for a 6th or 7th rounder also exists. Basically if no one offers a 5th, I still accept a 6th or a 7th for him. Obviously would take a 5th instead of 6th or 7th or both.

If Foles can't get you a 5th and Fields wins the job outright from day one - keep Foles and cut Dalton mid year to get back the comp 5th rounder.

Foles could still be a sufficient backup next year and they're already paying him a bit regardless.

They changed the rules actually so we would need to cut Dalton before week 1 for that 5th round comp pick.
CaPiTanAK
Pro Prospect
And1: 435

Post#675 » by CaPiTanAK » Thu Jun 3, 2021 10:48 am

TyrusRose2425 wrote:
Susan wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

They changed the rules actually so we would need to cut Dalton before week 1 for that 5th round comp pick.

That seals it.

Justin Fields Wk 1 started, and former QB1 Dalton cut.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#676 » by fleet » Thu Jun 3, 2021 3:42 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
Dresden wrote:Quote in the papers today from Jay Cutler regarding Justin Fields playing right away. Jay says he would sit him, let him learn on the bench, thought it would be too difficult to jump right in and play, esp. in Chicago. On the other hand, he thinks Andy Dalton is more than capable of playing in the meantime.

Funny how bias works. I am all for sitting him and letting him come along... but then Cutler says that's what he would do and I instantly want to start him game 1 now.

FWIW, Brandon Marshall disagreed with Cutler, so the brothers canceled each other out :D
Susan
RealGM

Post#677 » by Susan » Fri Jun 4, 2021 3:09 am

TyrusRose2425 wrote:
Susan wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

If Fields wins the job in pre-season idgaf, get Dalton outta here. Foles is the same thing in a different suit, if we're playing either one of em, we're not really goin anywhere.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,810

Post#678 » by Dresden » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:13 am

Supposedly Bears have told Dalton he will be week 1 starter.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,755

Post#679 » by Jcool0 » Fri Jun 4, 2021 5:12 am

Dresden wrote:Supposedly Bears have told Dalton he will be week 1 starter.

Read on Twitter
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,948

Post#680 » by Chi town » Fri Jun 4, 2021 5:28 am

Jcool0 wrote:
Dresden wrote:Supposedly Bears have told Dalton he will be week 1 starter.

Read on Twitter

I will be surprised if Fields doesn’t start.

Return to Chicago Bulls