ImageImageImage

OT: Meme stocks

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Writebloc
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,615

Re: OT: Meme stocks 

Post#41 » by Writebloc » Wed Jun 2, 2021 5:07 pm

Diamond hands...
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,393

Post#42 » by threrf23 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 5:33 pm

jfs1000d wrote:Doge is dumb at this price. No upside. The coin is impossible to get $1. So, your runway is so small. You have to manage price and buy low, sell when it jumps 15%.

Kinda dumb.

I like things that can increase in multiples. Eth! I wish I could put more into it. I also jumped on amc at $10. Wish I bought more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While there's some substance to the argument, people have been saying the same since Doge was two cents.

One of these days IMO, when crypto is a bit further mainstream, it's gonna start trending on Twitter again, and it's gonna go viral to the point where celebs are encouraging other celebs to buy and donate to charity. People will keep buying until it has the 3 spot behind BTC and ETH. That's just how Doge works.

It's how Doge worked before WSB took it up and was destined to rise as crypto became mainstream. OG crypto community appreciates the story of Satoshi Nakamoto and reveres Bitcoin despite it's relative fundamental weaknesses, whereas the mainstream is more inclined to dogs, and memes, and stuff.

Not a long term hold, but everyone should be prepared to buy it when the right moment comes about. IMO
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#43 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Wed Jun 2, 2021 5:41 pm

Writebloc wrote:Diamond hands...

That’s right!!

jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#44 » by jmr07019 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 5:41 pm

Congrats AMC holders. This is ****ing happening. I won't believe 1,000/share until I see it but it is only a 2x from the GME highs. I guess we'll see what happens.

Doge to me can be good for a quick swing trade but things like ETH and ADA seems to have much higher upside. Doge is around $0.40 and you are hoping it can go to $1.00. ETH can go from 2700 to 15k. ADA from under 2 bucks to 8 bucks. Higher multiples in other coins. Can Doge go to $1.60/coin? I don't think so but you never know. At the end of the day there is an element of gambling in all investing.
Show Love Spread Love
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#45 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Jun 2, 2021 6:17 pm

Man I remember mining dogecoin back in 2014 and the memes about 1 cent felt so laughably impossible. The coin does literally nothing useful, amazing to see it hit 75 cents just a few weeks ago and now it's on Coinbase.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,281

Post#46 » by chrisab123 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 8:15 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:Man I remember mining dogecoin back in 2014 and the memes about 1 cent felt so laughably impossible. The coin does literally nothing useful, amazing to see it hit 75 cents just a few weeks ago and now it's on Coinbase.

Not on there yet. I think its going to be end of the month. Got frustrated on not being able to buy quick enough so I just threw more into AMC. Apelife
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Jun 2, 2021 8:23 pm

chrisab123 wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:Man I remember mining dogecoin back in 2014 and the memes about 1 cent felt so laughably impossible. The coin does literally nothing useful, amazing to see it hit 75 cents just a few weeks ago and now it's on Coinbase.

Not on there yet. I think its going to be end of the month. Got frustrated on not being able to buy quick enough so I just threw more into AMC. Apelife

It's on Coinbase pro right now, but they haven't enabled trading just yet, just deposits. Either way it's been pretty easy to buy dogecoin for like 6 years now.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#48 » by 3D Chess » Wed Jun 2, 2021 10:28 pm

threrf23 wrote:OG crypto community appreciates the story of Satoshi Nakamoto and reveres Bitcoin despite it's relative fundamental weaknesses

Wat?
Celtic Esquire
General Manager
And1: 3,674

Post#49 » by Celtic Esquire » Wed Jun 2, 2021 10:31 pm

I am up like 10k on AMC.

Probably going to cash out tomorrow and use some of the profit to buy a Big Green Egg with all the accessories!
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,285

Post#50 » by Zenzibar » Wed Jun 2, 2021 10:32 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
chrisab123 wrote:

It's on Coinbase pro right now, but they haven't enabled trading just yet, just deposits. Either way it's been pretty easy to buy dogecoin for like 6 years now.

What was mentioned today is that engineers will try to create a cap on the coins at a point. Since I'm not versed in that, is that even possible?
threrf23
RealGM

Post#51 » by threrf23 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 10:42 pm

3D Chess wrote:
threrf23 wrote:OG crypto community appreciates the story of Satoshi Nakamoto and reveres Bitcoin despite it's relative fundamental weaknesses

Wat?

BTC transactions are slower and more expensive compared with other coins and blockchains. That's all I was getting at; if it were literally all about the tech Bitcoin probably wouldn't be very relevant at this point.
threrf23
RealGM

Post#52 » by threrf23 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 10:48 pm

Zenzibar wrote:

What was mentioned today is that engineers will try to create a cap on the coins at a point. Since I'm not versed in that, is that even possible?

Yes but I don't think they should bother. The inflation rate is capped reasonably, and the supply was deliberately uncapped to emphasize that Doge was created for fun and not profit. It's part of the brand, and ironically has (indirectly) helped to drive profits IMO.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Jun 2, 2021 10:59 pm

Zenzibar wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:
chrisab123 wrote:

Yeah, but for now it has an unlimited supply with 5 billion new coins created per year. But like any decentralized proof of work coin, the protocol can be forked and changed if 51% of the hashrate wants it that way.
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,285

Post#54 » by Zenzibar » Wed Jun 2, 2021 11:01 pm

threrf23 wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:

Yes but I don't think they should bother. The inflation rate is capped reasonably, and the supply was deliberately uncapped to emphasize that Doge was created for fun and not profit. It's part of the brand, and ironically has (indirectly) helped to drive profits IMO.

But there is a buzz that some big money plus historically large public money may keep a certain price point. That's what Musk, Cuban and other whales are murmuring about. Public holdings are the key to this. If that happens then the coin will be used for bartering tender at the minimum.
3D Chess
Lead Assistant

Post#55 » by 3D Chess » Wed Jun 2, 2021 11:01 pm

threrf23 wrote:
3D Chess wrote:

Wat?

BTC transactions are slower and more expensive compared with other coins and blockchains. That's all I was getting at; if it were literally all about the tech Bitcoin probably wouldn't be very relevant at this point.

You fundamentally misunderstand the purpose of bitcoin. It has never been about maxing out TPS (transactions per second) but creating a new form of money that is decentralized (important!), trustless, borderless, immutable, and resistant to inflation. Bitcoin is a settlement layer, not an IOU like visa or paypal. Near instant, near free (try moving $1b worth of gold for ~$3) settlement of value is revolutionary. No other "tech" comes even close to achieving this, and all other "blockchain" projects are piggybacking on (and IMO bastardizing) the breakthrough that was Satoshi's PoW solution.

1sat/byte fees at the moment btw. Basically free transactions.
wikkidbigshot
Freshman
And1: 106

Post#56 » by wikkidbigshot » Wed Jun 2, 2021 11:02 pm

jmr07019 wrote:...
A friend's coworker told him June 2nd is the date that AMC is blasting off...

Witchcraft.gif

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
threrf23
RealGM

Post#57 » by threrf23 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 11:09 pm

3D Chess wrote:
threrf23 wrote:
3D Chess wrote:Wat?

You fundamentally misunderstand the purpose of bitcoin. It has never been about maxing out TPS (transactions per second) but creating a new form of money that is trustless, borderless, immutable and resistant to inflation. Bitcoin is a settlement layer, not an IOU like visa or paypal. Near instant, near free (try moving $1b worth of gold for ~$3) settlement of value is revolutionary. No other "tech" comes even close to achieving this, and all other "blockchain" projects are piggybacking on (and IMO bastardizing) the breakthrough that was Satoshi's PoW solution.

It was revolutionary. And it will always have value because it commands tremendous respect and is a scarce resource, and for the time being it has been designated by the people as digital gold. But value aside, correct me if I am wrong, today there are many other coins that can accomplish the same, just more efficiently.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,973

Post#58 » by jfs1000d » Wed Jun 2, 2021 11:10 pm

GregB wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:
GregB wrote:Sorry I’m here for profit. I will pump dump and repeat. I have bought and sold doge 6 times since April.

Got into Bitcoin and Etherium after the crash will try to keep that for long term Capital gains. But I don’t fully trust doge and will keep dumping. Bought back in at 28 cents last time.

Doge is dumb at this price. No upside. The coin is impossible to get $1. So, your runway is so small. You have to manage price and buy low, sell when it jumps 15%.

Kinda dumb.

I like things that can increase in multiples. Eth! I wish I could put more into it. I also jumped on amc at $10. Wish I bought more.

I guess. The

first time I sold was at %1200 percent profit and I have made 50%-100% profit on every doge trade I have made since.

Yes. You can’t do that now with the price at .40. It would have. To go under .10 to get your return again. I guess if you jumped in at .22 and it went to .44.

But is just made 200% on amc in one week. You are getting that in doge unless you buy sell buy sells constantly.

3D Chess
Lead Assistant

Post#59 » by 3D Chess » Wed Jun 2, 2021 11:23 pm

threrf23 wrote:
3D Chess wrote:
threrf23 wrote:

You fundamentally misunderstand the purpose of bitcoin. It has never been about maxing out TPS (transactions per second) but creating a new form of money that is trustless, borderless, immutable and resistant to inflation. Bitcoin is a settlement layer, not an IOU like visa or paypal. Near instant, near free (try moving $1b worth of gold for ~$3) settlement of value is revolutionary. No other "tech" comes even close to achieving this, and all other "blockchain" projects are piggybacking on (and IMO bastardizing) the breakthrough that was Satoshi's PoW solution.

It was revolutionary. And it will always have value because it commands tremendous respect and is a scarce resource, and for the time being it has been designated by the people as digital gold. But value aside, correct me if I am wrong, today there are many other coins that can accomplish the same, just more efficiently.

None of them come even close to the level of decentralization and trustlessness of Bitcoin. Those are the factors that that separate bitcoin from visa.

None of them come even close to the immutability of bitcoin. Even in this thread there is discussion of changing supply cap, "ETH 2.0" and other major protocol changes. In no world does that compare to the set in stone store of value that bitcoin has provided for over a decade despite many attempts to alter it.

Satoshi set out to fix money, not transactions.

Also, have you tried sending ETH lately? How those fees looking?
WeLikeOurGuys
General Manager
And1: 7,158

Post#60 » by WeLikeOurGuys » Wed Jun 2, 2021 11:24 pm

Diamond Hands!!! I bought in at 8.25.
Also, does anyone own any HOFV stock?

Return to Boston Celtics