ImageImageImage

OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,002

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2 

Post#1461 » by exculpatory » Wed Jun 2, 2021 11:02 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
exculpatory wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
I’m on episode 5. Pretty damn good

Saw all 7 episodes.

Kate W is a truly remarkable actress.

One plot snafu in Episode 7 - anyone else pick it up?

Put it in a spoiler I prob did or will recognize it once u say it

I did.
Don’t read the spoiler until you have watched Episode 7.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#1462 » by MagicBagley18 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 12:26 am

exculpatory wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
canman1971 wrote:I started it. Pretty good, got to finish it as some point.

I’m on episode 5. Pretty damn good

Saw all 7 episodes.

Kate W is a truly remarkable actress.

One plot snafu in Episode 7 - anyone else pick it up?

Spoiler:
The older man whose wife died in the car crash told Mare his gun was missing from the shed for 2 days before it reappeared. When the kid confesses to the cops, he says that he took the gun from the shed early in the evening & then returned the gun the very same night after he kills Erin.

Oh **** your right. Didn’t catch that. That’s a hole for sure
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,068

Post#1463 » by Ed Pinkney » Thu Jun 3, 2021 11:45 am

canman1971 wrote:.

Hey mate, not sure if you are aware of his channel, but I thought you might be interested in Rick Beato's most recent Everything Music video, "What Makes This Song Great - Comfortably Numb".

canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,502

Post#1464 » by canman1971 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 12:13 pm

Ed Pinkney wrote:

Hey mate, not sure if you are aware of his channel, but I thought you might be interested in Rick Beato's most recent Everything Music video, "What Makes This Song Great - Comfortably Numb".

Right on. I'll check it out. Thanks.
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Veteran
And1: 6,445

Post#1465 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:12 am

Ed Pinkney wrote:

Rick Beato and his channel are excellent. The What Makes This Song Great series are fantastic. Love the Led Zeppelin - Ramble On and The Cure - Just Like Heaven videos...
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant

Post#1466 » by Ed Pinkney » Fri Jun 4, 2021 7:11 am

Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:
Spoiler:
Ed Pinkney wrote:

Rick Beato and his channel are excellent. The What Makes This Song Great series are fantastic. Love the Led Zeppelin - Ramble On and The Cure - Just Like Heaven videos...

Agreed. He does a lot of pretty well known songs that your standard rock/metal fan would like, but then he does occasionally drop some slightly more obscure ones in there too. He did "What Makes This Song Great" episodes on two great Australian bands - Karnivool and Plini which were surprises to see. Plini is not going to be well known at all and is one of my favourite guitarists/bands from the last five years or so, so it was a trip when I saw it pop up on the channel.

I have almost no music theory knowledge, so when he gets in the weeds of scales, chords, diminished this, sus that, flat and major notes etc, I do get a little lost.

It's also a little sad he has stopped doing the "What Makes This Song Great" videos very often anymore, I think mainly because of all the problems he has had with copyright notices, monetisation issues etc from YouTube.
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Veteran
And1: 6,445

Post#1467 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Fri Jun 4, 2021 11:26 pm

Ed Pinkney wrote:
Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:
Spoiler:
Ed Pinkney wrote:

Agreed. He does a lot of pretty well known songs that your standard rock/metal fan would like, but then he does occasionally drop some slightly more obscure ones in there too. He did "What Makes This Song Great" episodes on two great Australian bands - Karnivool and Plini which were surprises to see. Plini is not going to be well known at all and is one of my favourite guitarists/bands from the last five years or so, so it was a trip when I saw it pop up on the channel.

I have almost no music theory knowledge, so when he gets in the weeds of scales, chords, diminished this, sus that, flat and major notes etc, I do get a little lost.

It's also a little sad he has stopped doing the "What Makes This Song Great" videos very often anymore, I think mainly because of all the problems he has had with copyright notices, monetisation issues etc from YouTube.

Yeah I think that’s the main reason, he’s talked about the amount of effort that goes into those videos to then have them taken down is disheartening. I wouldn’t bother if I was in his shoes so I appreciate his effort. I wouldn’t call myself a musician at all but have done quite a lot of music production, mainly in the electronic styles to understand his videos in depth too. He really knows his **** and it’s refreshing that he doesn’t dumb things down too much.

I’m from Australia and haven’t heard of those bands so I’ll have to check them out for sure.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#1468 » by jmr07019 » Fri Jun 4, 2021 11:49 pm

I really enjoyed Jupiter’s Legacy on Netflix. Solid superhero action / suspense series. Lots of action in the first episode to draw you in followed by a bit of a slower plot development. I found the character of Chloe to be super hot. Elena Kampouris Is the actress’s name.
Show Love Spread Love
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,817

Post#1469 » by bucknersrevenge » Sat Jun 5, 2021 3:42 am

jmr07019 wrote:I really enjoyed Jupiter’s Legacy on Netflix. Solid superhero action / suspense series. Lots of action in the first episode to draw you in followed by a bit of a slower plot development. I found the character of Chloe to be super hot. Elena Kampouris Is the actress’s name.

Apparently, you're one of few cuz it got cancelled already.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
jmr07019
General Manager

Post#1470 » by jmr07019 » Sat Jun 5, 2021 10:23 am

bucknersrevenge wrote:
jmr07019 wrote:I really enjoyed Jupiter’s Legacy on Netflix. Solid superhero action / suspense series. Lots of action in the first episode to draw you in followed by a bit of a slower plot development. I found the character of Chloe to be super hot. Elena Kampouris Is the actress’s name.

Apparently, you're one of few cuz it got cancelled already.

Well **** lol.
Show Love Spread Love
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#1471 » by BostonCouchGM » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:39 am

'We are the World' came on the radio and it reminded me about how incredible Stevie Wonder was. It seems like his music is played way less than it should be considering how massive he was. Like, in the 70s he was the man. Multiple grammy wins and he carried that success well into the 80s with lots of collaborations and more Grammy wins. It's sad to me because I don't think kids these days really know who he is and how instrumental he was and won't until they make a movie about him after he dies. There's no Michael Jackson or Prince without Stevie and he has as many hits as they do but doesn't seem to get half the airtime or love as they still do. Oh, and btw, he is without a doubt NOT blind. I'm sure he's visually impaired to an extent but there's multiple instances of him clearly being able to see that it's remarkable how that narrative has been able to survive all these years.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,887

Post#1472 » by SuperDeluxe » Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:28 am

"Promising Young Woman." Good stuff. Hard to believe it's the first film for the director. Also, Carey Mulligan is brilliant as always.
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant

Post#1473 » by Ed Pinkney » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:29 pm

RIP Gift of Gab, one of my all time favourites. Saw Blackalicious live here in Oz a few times, including one show with some sort of leg injury and did the whole show sitting on a stool. Was cool when I asked him to sign my Solesides boxset too.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/jun/25/gift-of-gab-dies-blackalicious-rapper-timothy-parker

Two of the best hip tracks of all time in my opinion.

jmr07019
General Manager

Post#1474 » by jmr07019 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:25 pm

Heading out to Denver at the end of July. Looking for recommendations on hiking spots, swimming holes, restaurants, dispensaries, anything really.

We land Tuesday morning and are planning on doing some hikes wednesday, thursday and possibly friday morning. Dream lake looks beautiful although there a ton of hikes with amazing views so it's tough to narrow it down. Would like to do one hike with a good amount of elevation gain where we summit a peak...

Going to red rocks friday and saturday to see one of our favorite bands STS9 an instrumental electronic rock band. On Sunday STS9 plays a third show with an acoustic set followed by an all improv set! I've seen STS9 a bunch but both the acoustic sets and the all improv sets are rare and only happen once or twice a year. I've never seen either so very excited for those shows. I've also never been to red rocks and have been wanting to go for years so finally crossing that off the bucket list. If you've never heard of red rocks its a natural amphitheater that is supposed to be one of the best places to see a show in America.

A song from a former acoustic set:

A song from the studio:

Show Love Spread Love
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,502

Post#1475 » by canman1971 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:26 pm

Ed Pinkney wrote:

Finally got around to checking this out. I just kept forgetting. Fantastic. Thanks for sharing.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,221

Post#1476 » by djFan71 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:04 pm

Ed Pinkney wrote:RIP Gift of Gab, one of my all time favourites. Saw Blackalicious live here in Oz a few times, including one show with some sort of leg injury and did the whole show sitting on a stool. Was cool when I asked him to sign my Solesides boxset too.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/jun/25/gift-of-gab-dies-blackalicious-rapper-timothy-parker

Two of the best hip tracks of all time in my opinion.

Ah man, I hadn't heard about this. RIP.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,887

Post#1477 » by SuperDeluxe » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:55 am

"Oxygen," French sci-fi movie on Netflix with Mélanie Laurent, highly recommended.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#1478 » by MagicBagley18 » Fri Jul 2, 2021 11:14 am

12 hours bans :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: riiiiiiiiight

Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#1479 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Jul 5, 2021 7:05 am

jmr07019 wrote:Heading out to Denver at the end of July. Looking for recommendations on hiking spots, swimming holes, restaurants, dispensaries, anything really.

We land Tuesday morning and are planning on doing some hikes wednesday, thursday and possibly friday morning. Dream lake looks beautiful although there a ton of hikes with amazing views so it's tough to narrow it down. Would like to do one hike with a good amount of elevation gain where we summit a peak...

Going to red rocks friday and saturday to see one of our favorite bands STS9 an instrumental electronic rock band. On Sunday STS9 plays a third show with an acoustic set followed by an all improv set! I've seen STS9 a bunch but both the acoustic sets and the all improv sets are rare and only happen once or twice a year. I've never seen either so very excited for those shows. I've also never been to red rocks and have been wanting to go for years so finally crossing that off the bucket list. If you've never heard of red rocks its a natural amphitheater that is supposed to be one of the best places to see a show in America.

A song from the studio:

How far are you willing to drive? Denver itself isn't anything remarkable, but there are tons of places to visit 30-90 minutes north, south and west for hiking and outdoor activities. I've only lived here a few years and half of that under pandemic conditions so my restaurant knowledge is a little lacking. Marco's Coal Fired makes great pizza, only good pizza in this city I've had. Linger is really good; mortuary turned restaurant and the food is excellent as well. Avanti is a cool spot for more casual beer hall/food truck kind of vibe. It's basically a massive industrial complex with bars and casual restaurants packed together. RiNo District (also called River North) has a lot of breweries and restaurants. Our Mutual Friend makes great beer, best microbrewery I've been to in Denver. But there are a billion options for beer if you're into it; and I couldn't even tell you which ones survived 2020. Rocky Mountain oysters are a total tourist thing to do, but still a bucket-list kind of thing to do if you don't mind eating bull testicles. Buckhorn Exchange is the place to go, it's Denver's oldest restaurant I believe.

Denver Botanical Gardens are nice; not sure what will be in bloom in late July, but definitely worth checking out if you're into flowers. I checked it out a couple weeks ago and it's a pleasant afternoon for sure. They have acoustic concerts there some nights as well.

The art museums in Denver are pretty mediocre, especially compared to Boston, so I don't really suggest them unless you're a hardcore museum goer or looking for a couple hours to kill.

I like Green Russell on Larimer St for cocktails/nightcap, but god damn it's been so long since I've been out to bars. Herb's is a cool, quirky nightclub with live music every night, no cover; also on Larimer St. I believe. Overall you can't go wrong on Larimer St for a good spot to end your night.

My Brother's Bar is the oldest bar in the city, worth checking out for the charm and history of it. Food is quite good.

There are a billion dispensaries, we usually go to CO Harvest company in Denver, but basically they all seem the same to me as a really casual user.

Coors Field is a great place to catch a baseball game. Get an upper seat with a view towards the outfield for the mountain views. The team sucks and tickets are cheap, but the stadium is great.

Red Rocks is definitely quite amazing, get there early for the show and tailgate because parking and finding your way around can be a bitch if you're hurried. I'd suggest even making a separate trip some morning (maybe tack on a hike in the area like Mt. Falcon/South Ridge Trail) just to take in the whole park if you get a chance. Lots of little spur hikes, a museum, a trading post worth checking out. And if you can go there on a non-concert day, you can get on the stage; the acoustics are insane. I know on concert days you are only allowed into the amphitheater area freely during certain hours, so check that out if you do this. Basically they just make you evacuate the amphitheater during soundcheck for the band. Then check out Morrison which is the town nearby; it's nothing remarkable, but just a cool 2 block-long town with a few bars and antique shops, I like the vibes for a mid-afternoon beer.

Mt. Evans is an awesome drive, highest paved road in North America. You drive to within a few hundred vertical feet of the peak (above 14k feet) and then can hike the remainder. You can drive to the top in about 90 minutes from downtown Denver, it's a pretty surreal experience being 90-100 degrees in Denver and then driving 90 minutes and being at 14,000 feet and its now 45-50 degrees. Pikes Peak is a similar experience to Mt. Evans if you make it down to the Colorado Springs area. If you make it down there, Garden of the Gods is the main attraction, but it can get super busy with tourists sometimes. Manitou Springs is a nearby town as well that's fun to walk around. If you want a ridiculous "hike", check out the Manitou Incline. Pikes Peak+Garden of the Gods+Manitou Springs is a solid day. Manitou Brewing has good beer and you can drink directly from the natural spring in the town (look for a fountain). Very, very touristy however but maybe mid-week not so bad.

If you fit in either Mt Evans or Pikes Peak, check the weather because even in July it can be impassable. Each peak has its own website with info and you may even need some kind of reservation with covid now. Same goes for pretty much everything I suppose.

I really like the Flatirons in Boulder, there are various hikes in that area, I've just done the 1st and 2nd Flatiron Loops; and they're beautiful with some nice views from the top. If you get a chance to check out Boulder (45 mins from Denver), Pearl Street Mall is a fun stroll and Mountain Sun is my favorite spot for food; lots of good beer, burgers, nachos.

Honestly really good hiking in the vicinity of Red Rocks, too. The South Ridge Trail is short, but very hard and has a great view into the Amphitheater. Mt Falcon is in that area as well; some of the trails have a lot of mountain bikers which can be annoying sometimes if you care about that. If you want to hike a real peak, I'd say you'd have to drive an hour west for Grays Peak or Mt Bierstadt. They're near Idaho Springs and you could tack them onto a Mt. Evans drive as well for a full day. Idaho Springs has a main street with some restaurants on it, but I've only been to Beau Jo's, which serves Colorado-style Pizza (whatever that is, don't ask me). If you're into breweries, Guanella Pass Brewing is in a nearby town called Georgetown, worth checking out if it isn't too far out of the way.

If you're into driving scenic byways, Guanella Pass is beautiful, Mt. Evans Scenic Byway is beautiful. Lariat Loop will bring you through Golden, Morrison, Evergreen. Lots of scenic viewpoints and all that. Golden is great, home of Coors, definitely get a Coors Banquet on tap if you find yourself in Golden. It's a quintessential Western town. The tour of Coors Brewing is supposed to be cool but I've never done it and I have no idea if covid has it restricted. When family visits I usually do a Red Rocks+Golden+Boulder day tour.

If you have the time for it, Rocky Mountain National Park is a must. I'd take the entire day for that, definitely a bucket list kind of national park. Drive up, get breakfast in Estes Park, roam around Estes for a bit and take it in, then the National Park is breathtaking. Drive back to Denver via Granby and you can see Grand Lake on the way back home.

It'd be hard to have a bad time no matter what you do, just make sure whatever you do you bring a **** ton of sunscreen and water. It's 95-100 in Denver almost every day and there are wildfires all over the state. First day at elevation some people struggle a bit, but you adapt quickly. Mostly you just get drunk more easily and you have dry mouth in the middle of the night.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
jmr07019
General Manager

Post#1480 » by jmr07019 » Mon Jul 5, 2021 10:12 pm

Spoiler:
Bleeding Green wrote:
jmr07019 wrote:Heading out to Denver at the end of July. Looking for recommendations on hiking spots, swimming holes, restaurants, dispensaries, anything really.

A song from the studio:

How far are you willing to drive? Denver itself isn't anything remarkable, but there are tons of places to visit 30-90 minutes north, south and west for hiking and outdoor activities. I've only lived here a few years and half of that under pandemic conditions so my restaurant knowledge is a little lacking. Marco's Coal Fired makes great pizza, only good pizza in this city I've had. Linger is really good; mortuary turned restaurant and the food is excellent as well. Avanti is a cool spot for more casual beer hall/food truck kind of vibe. It's basically a massive industrial complex with bars and casual restaurants packed together. RiNo District (also called River North) has a lot of breweries and restaurants. Our Mutual Friend makes great beer, best microbrewery I've been to in Denver. But there are a billion options for beer if you're into it; and I couldn't even tell you which ones survived 2020. Rocky Mountain oysters are a total tourist thing to do, but still a bucket-list kind of thing to do if you don't mind eating bull testicles. Buckhorn Exchange is the place to go, it's Denver's oldest restaurant I believe.

Denver Botanical Gardens are nice; not sure what will be in bloom in late July, but definitely worth checking out if you're into flowers. I checked it out a couple weeks ago and it's a pleasant afternoon for sure. They have acoustic concerts there some nights as well.

The art museums in Denver are pretty mediocre, especially compared to Boston, so I don't really suggest them unless you're a hardcore museum goer or looking for a couple hours to kill.

I like Green Russell on Larimer St for cocktails/nightcap, but god damn it's been so long since I've been out to bars. Herb's is a cool, quirky nightclub with live music every night, no cover; also on Larimer St. I believe. Overall you can't go wrong on Larimer St for a good spot to end your night.

My Brother's Bar is the oldest bar in the city, worth checking out for the charm and history of it. Food is quite good.

There are a billion dispensaries, we usually go to CO Harvest company in Denver, but basically they all seem the same to me as a really casual user.

Coors Field is a great place to catch a baseball game. Get an upper seat with a view towards the outfield for the mountain views. The team sucks and tickets are cheap, but the stadium is great.

Red Rocks is definitely quite amazing, get there early for the show and tailgate because parking and finding your way around can be a bitch if you're hurried. I'd suggest even making a separate trip some morning (maybe tack on a hike in the area like Mt. Falcon/South Ridge Trail) just to take in the whole park if you get a chance. Lots of little spur hikes, a museum, a trading post worth checking out. And if you can go there on a non-concert day, you can get on the stage; the acoustics are insane. I know on concert days you are only allowed into the amphitheater area freely during certain hours, so check that out if you do this. Basically they just make you evacuate the amphitheater during soundcheck for the band. Then check out Morrison which is the town nearby; it's nothing remarkable, but just a cool 2 block-long town with a few bars and antique shops, I like the vibes for a mid-afternoon beer.

Mt. Evans is an awesome drive, highest paved road in North America. You drive to within a few hundred vertical feet of the peak (above 14k feet) and then can hike the remainder. You can drive to the top in about 90 minutes from downtown Denver, it's a pretty surreal experience being 90-100 degrees in Denver and then driving 90 minutes and being at 14,000 feet and its now 45-50 degrees. Pikes Peak is a similar experience to Mt. Evans if you make it down to the Colorado Springs area. If you make it down there, Garden of the Gods is the main attraction, but it can get super busy with tourists sometimes. Manitou Springs is a nearby town as well that's fun to walk around. If you want a ridiculous "hike", check out the Manitou Incline. Pikes Peak+Garden of the Gods+Manitou Springs is a solid day. Manitou Brewing has good beer and you can drink directly from the natural spring in the town (look for a fountain). Very, very touristy however but maybe mid-week not so bad.

If you fit in either Mt Evans or Pikes Peak, check the weather because even in July it can be impassable. Each peak has its own website with info and you may even need some kind of reservation with covid now. Same goes for pretty much everything I suppose.

I really like the Flatirons in Boulder, there are various hikes in that area, I've just done the 1st and 2nd Flatiron Loops; and they're beautiful with some nice views from the top. If you get a chance to check out Boulder (45 mins from Denver), Pearl Street Mall is a fun stroll and Mountain Sun is my favorite spot for food; lots of good beer, burgers, nachos.

Honestly really good hiking in the vicinity of Red Rocks, too. The South Ridge Trail is short, but very hard and has a great view into the Amphitheater. Mt Falcon is in that area as well; some of the trails have a lot of mountain bikers which can be annoying sometimes if you care about that. If you want to hike a real peak, I'd say you'd have to drive an hour west for Grays Peak or Mt Bierstadt. They're near Idaho Springs and you could tack them onto a Mt. Evans drive as well for a full day. Idaho Springs has a main street with some restaurants on it, but I've only been to Beau Jo's, which serves Colorado-style Pizza (whatever that is, don't ask me). If you're into breweries, Guanella Pass Brewing is in a nearby town called Georgetown, worth checking out if it isn't too far out of the way.

If you're into driving scenic byways, Guanella Pass is beautiful, Mt. Evans Scenic Byway is beautiful. Lariat Loop will bring you through Golden, Morrison, Evergreen. Lots of scenic viewpoints and all that. Golden is great, home of Coors, definitely get a Coors Banquet on tap if you find yourself in Golden. It's a quintessential Western town. The tour of Coors Brewing is supposed to be cool but I've never done it and I have no idea if covid has it restricted. When family visits I usually do a Red Rocks+Golden+Boulder day tour.

If you have the time for it, Rocky Mountain National Park is a must. I'd take the entire day for that, definitely a bucket list kind of national park. Drive up, get breakfast in Estes Park, roam around Estes for a bit and take it in, then the National Park is breathtaking. Drive back to Denver via Granby and you can see Grand Lake on the way back home.

It'd be hard to have a bad time no matter what you do, just make sure whatever you do you bring a **** ton of sunscreen and water. It's 95-100 in Denver almost every day and there are wildfires all over the state. First day at elevation some people struggle a bit, but you adapt quickly. Mostly you just get drunk more easily and you have dry mouth in the middle of the night.

Awesome thanks for all the recommendations! Right now the plan is looking like driving up to rocky mountain national park on Tuesday and hiking either Hallet Peak or Mount Ida. Will probably swing by the Stanley Hotel while we are in the area too as I love the Shining. I know it's not the one in the moving but it's still pretty incredible looking.

Thursday gonna hit St Marys Glacier and do a little cliff jumping ( :o ) which is a first for me. Taking the drive to Mt Evans is kind of in the vicinity so might do that the same day.

From there probably gonna play it by ear depending on how hungover we are when we wake up. Only 2 more weeks of work before I'm out there can't wait!
Show Love Spread Love

Return to Boston Celtics