ImageImageImageImageImage

2021 Draft thread. Woo! 15th pick here we come! Hoo. Ray.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: 2021 Draft thread. Evan Mobley here we come! :) 

Post#1561 » by Ruzious » Tue Jun 1, 2021 1:14 pm

DCZards wrote:
Illuminaire wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:Getting a rotation level player especially on the wing is huge. We don't have any rotation level SFs at the moment.

We also have the MLE and BAE and a little room under the luxury tax. We could also go over the tax and get under before the end of the league year in June 2022.

The issue is Tommy has no idea what he's doing with wing players.

Is a 6th man quality wing enough to get the Wizards past the first round?

How about the second?

I don't think the Wizards get past Philly even if that had mid-tier starting SF on the roster. A Mikal Bridges, or Andrew Wiggins, does not elevate the team very far - at least, not when it counts. What you're laying out is exactly the reason why this team has been a treadmill and post-season joke for 20 years.

A Mikal Bridges is exactly what this team needs: A young, athletic wing who can shoot 3s and defend his a** off.

3pt shooting and perimeter defense should be the priority for this offseason...both in the draft and free agency.

I like Miles Bridges even better than Mikal - Miles being a dynamic player who improved dramatically in the 2nd half of the season. Both Bridges' fit the modern archetypes that seem to be what teams are looking for. Forwards seem to be in short supply this draft - which is why I think we'll end up picking Kisspert if he's there. He's not going to be the defender that either Bridges is, but he's the best long distance shooter in the draft - with the next on his level being... Sam Hauser - and the Wiz should buy a late 2nd to pick him.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#1562 » by pcbothwel » Tue Jun 1, 2021 3:02 pm

Ruzious wrote:
DCZards wrote:
Illuminaire wrote:
Is a 6th man quality wing enough to get the Wizards past the first round?

How about the second?

I don't think the Wizards get past Philly even if that had mid-tier starting SF on the roster. A Mikal Bridges, or Andrew Wiggins, does not elevate the team very far - at least, not when it counts. What you're laying out is exactly the reason why this team has been a treadmill and post-season joke for 20 years.

A Mikal Bridges is exactly what this team needs: A young, athletic wing who can shoot 3s and defend his a** off.

3pt shooting and perimeter defense should be the priority for this offseason...both in the draft and free agency.

I like Miles Bridges even better than Mikal - Miles being a dynamic player who improved dramatically in the 2nd half of the season. Both Bridges' fit the modern archetypes that seem to be what teams are looking for. Forwards seem to be in short supply this draft - which is why I think we'll end up picking Kisspert if he's there. He's not going to be the defender that either Bridges is, but he's the best long distance shooter in the draft - with the next on his level being... Sam Hauser - and the Wiz should buy a late 2nd to pick him.

Wagner at 15 is MUCH better than Kispert. As is Murphy in the 25-35 range.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1563 » by Ruzious » Tue Jun 1, 2021 3:29 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
DCZards wrote:A Mikal Bridges is exactly what this team needs: A young, athletic wing who can shoot 3s and defend his a** off.

Wagner at 15 is MUCH better than Kispert. As is Murphy in the 25-35 range.

I'm not saying Kispert is better than Wagner, but I think his value will be perceived as higher than Wagner's because of the importance of 3 point shooting. It's why a 1 dimensional player like Duncan Robinson is going to get paid a fortune this offseason. I think Hauser will be a better player than Murphy.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,927

Post#1564 » by Frichuela » Tue Jun 1, 2021 8:07 pm

I believe this draft is loaded with great combo-guard prospects. Butler and Springer are obvious candidates at #15 but the more film I watch, the more I like Tre Mann as a prospect. I believe many of the most popular mocks are sleeping at him, placing him in the late 1st round. He is a 6'4-5" shifty guard who got a smooth and quick release on his jumper, long range and is great at ball handling. He'll be a great 3rd guard to come off the bench and learn from Beal/Westbrook.

I know some of you are fixated on getting a wing in the draft but Kispert and Wagner are the only realistic possibilities at #15. And that is if we get lucky and they are not picked before us...
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1565 » by Ruzious » Tue Jun 1, 2021 9:17 pm

Frichuela wrote:I believe this draft is loaded with great combo-guard prospects. Butler and Springer are obvious candidates at #15 but the more film I watch, the more I like Tre Mann as a prospect. I believe many of the most popular mocks are sleeping at him, placing him in the late 1st round. He is a 6'4-5" shifty guard who got a smooth and quick release on his jumper, long range and is great at ball handling. He'll be a great 3rd guard to come off the bench and learn from Beal/Westbrook.

I know some of you are fixated on getting a wing in the draft but Kispert and Wagner are the only realistic possibilities at #15. And that is if we get lucky and they are not picked before us...

My focus on Kispert and Wagner is guessing who the Wiz will take. My preference would be a trade down, because I think there will be some really good options in the late 1st and early 2nd. I'm more interested in players like Petrusev, Duarte, Murphy/Huff/Hauser, Bassey, Kai Jones, Isaiah Todd, and Julian Champagnie (over twin bro Justin). One other 2nd rounder I like that I don't think we've talked about is Miles "Deuce" McBride - a combo guard who reminds me of Fred VanVleet, but he needs to shoot more 3's and be a more efficient scorer.
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,154

Post#1566 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Wed Jun 2, 2021 2:39 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
XtremeDunkz wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:At 15 were not going to get anyone that's gonna make any difference on this team.....
The last 2 years Philly drafted Maxey at 21 and Thybulle at 20. If either had more playing time on a worse team they would have easily competed for ROY and look like steals so far.

Idk how good Washington's scouting is but you can always find diamonds in the draft.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Don't get me wrong, I think we can get a good player. Wagner or Garuba are a couple examples of players that could be there that I'd be happy to pick. I just think this team is farther away overall. I mean how much did Avdija help this year, and I thought he was a good pick.

He didn’t get a lot of opportunities. He showed some good defensive instincts and movement and rebounding ability. Had some good shooting nights too. Hard to get a read on him when he played sporadically and when he did never really got any looks other than some catch and shoot threes.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1567 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 2, 2021 1:25 pm

I don't get the hype for Garuba. Why is he any better than Achiuwa - who went 20th last year? And he's not as good a rebounder and not as explosive an athlete. Seems like all he's got going for him is he's young and has good defensive potential - so maybe he has some long-range potential - but probably won't be at all helpful as a rookie.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#1568 » by payitforward » Wed Jun 2, 2021 6:25 pm

XtremeDunkz wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:At 15 were not going to get anyone that's gonna make any difference on this team.....
The last 2 years Philly drafted Maxey at 21 and Thybulle at 20. If either had more playing time on a worse team they would have easily competed for ROY and look like steals so far.

Idk how good Washington's scouting is but you can always find diamonds in the draft.

Yup. Emphasis on "always."

&, as good as those picks you name were, there were even better players taken further down in both those drafts
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1569 » by payitforward » Wed Jun 2, 2021 8:03 pm

Not to pick on Superballman -- who did no more than write a single line post! -- but... I just watched the incredible 5th game between Portland & Denver & couldn't help noticing a few guys picked lower than #15 in the draft:

Nikola Jokic (#41)
Monte Morris (#51)
Robert Covington (undrafted!)
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson (#23)
Anfernee Simons (#24)
Norman Powell (#46)
Facundo Campazzo (undrafted)
Paul Millsap (#47)
JaMychal Green (undrafted)
Markus Howard (undrafted)
Shaquille Harrison (undrafted)
Josef Nurkic (#16)

Those guys combined for 300 minutes!! :)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1570 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 2, 2021 8:41 pm

We just need to get the 41st pick to choose someone like Jokic and... don't trade him like Portland did.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1571 » by payitforward » Wed Jun 2, 2021 9:59 pm

Ruzious wrote:We just need to get the 41st pick to choose someone like Jokic and... don't trade him like Portland did.

You're having the well-known "Jokic-Nurkic" reversal problem.

In 2014, Denver traded their #11 pick to Chicago in return for the #16 & #19 picks. The Bulls used the #11 to pick Doug McDermott (one of those guys high enough in the draft to "make a difference"), while Denver took Nurkic at #16 & Gary Harris at #19. Obviously a winning trade for Denver! Then they also took Jokic, 25 picks further down in the same draft.

A few years later, Denver traded Nurkic to Portland, along with a R1 pick, in return for Mason Plumlee & a R2 pick. Obviously a winning trade for Portland!

I remember thinking that was a weird trade. But, playing Nurkic & Jokic together wasn't working out.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1572 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 2, 2021 10:08 pm

payitforward wrote:
Ruzious wrote:We just need to get the 41st pick to choose someone like Jokic and... don't trade him like Portland did.

In 2014, Denver traded their #11 pick to Chicago in return for the #16 & #19 picks. The Bulls used the #11 to pick Doug McDermott (one of those guys high enough in the draft to "make a difference"), while Denver took Nurkic at #16 & Gary Harris at #19. Obviously a winning trade for Denver! Then they also took Jokic, 25 picks further down in the same draft.

A few years later, Denver traded Nurkic to Portland, along with a R1 pick, in return for Mason Plumlee & a R2 pick. Obviously a winning trade for Portland!

I remember thinking that was a weird trade. But, playing Nurkic & Jokic together wasn't working out.

With me, it's a Portland/Denver thing that I get mixed up with. Maybe that started when Nurkic and Jokic were separated. I still even have to think twice to remember which team Lillard is on and think twice to get it straight that Michael Porter Jr isn't on Lillard's team. With those 2 teams playing each other, I'm a mess.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 896

Post#1573 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Thu Jun 3, 2021 1:37 am

Post#1569 » by payitforward » Yesterday 8:03 pm

Not to pick on Superballman -- who did no more than write a single line post! -- but... I just watched the incredible 5th game between Portland & Denver & couldn't help noticing a few guys picked lower than #15 in the draft:

Nikola Jokic (#41)
Monte Morris (#51)
Anfernee Simons (#24)
Norman Powell (#46)
Paul Millsap (#47)
Josef Nurkic (#16)

Ok, I hear ya... I did btw follow up my post about not getting a team changer at 15, and I'm now wondering if anyone saw it?

So Maker isn't someone I had any consideration for, but I have to say in all seriousness, watching those training videos has me intrigued. As of yet I have not seen him in any mock, but he is declared...

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
MVP1992 wrote:

Any chance another Giannis slips through :wink:

Maybe we should take a flyer on this guy? ........

"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#1574 » by 80sballboy » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:07 am

It's really hard to concentrate on the draft, not knowing who your coach is and less likely to know who your GM is. What direction is this team going in? Will they look to move Beal and Bertans? There are so many questions and while I think there are a few guys available that could help right away, will all the key guys be back? Some? We know Russ will be here, which means 7th or 8th seed here we come again.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1575 » by Ruzious » Thu Jun 3, 2021 3:47 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Ok, I hear ya... I did btw follow up my post about not getting a team changer at 15, and I'm now wondering if anyone saw it?

So Maker isn't someone I had any consideration for, but I have to say in all seriousness, watching those training videos has me intrigued. As of yet I have not seen him in any mock, but he is declared...

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
MVP1992 wrote:
Any chance another Giannis slips through :wink:

Maybe we should take a flyer on this guy? ........

No question there is some raw talent there, but... it's very raw, and he's got a ton of work to do. He's a guy I'd want to trace his progress in the G League for a couple of years before considering whether or not to sign him.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1576 » by Ruzious » Thu Jun 3, 2021 3:57 pm

What about Quentin Grimes as a 2nd rounder to buy or a UDFA? He's had an up and down college career, but I noticed that Tankathon gives him some very high marks for his defense. http://www.tankathon.com/players/quentin-grimes And he made over 40% of his 3's on high volume. He's big enough to play some 3 and a good strong athlete who rebounds well. Seems like he can play that 3 and D role as long as he understands his role and doesn't get sloppy.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1577 » by Ruzious » Thu Jun 3, 2021 5:05 pm

Not sure how I completely missed this guy, but Moses Wright of Georgia Tech is another compelling PF 2nd round pick option. Good combination of steals plus blocks - especially steals for a big guy. Scores well, decent rebounder, not a good foul shooter but started making 3's. Known as a high energy player. Has an interesting late-bloomer background. Came to HS at 6 feet tall and was interested in swimming and tennis - not basketball. But he had a huge growth spurt to 6'8 and played just 1 year of varsity HS basketball. Watching highlights of him, he's like a shorter and less long Gafford - runs the floor well, loves finishing alley oops, but he also has a jump shot - remains to be seen how effective it will be in the NBA. Listed at 6'9 233 - looks like he has the frame to add some good weight - which he probably could use in the NBA. Will turn 23 in December. Named ACC POY.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1578 » by payitforward » Thu Jun 3, 2021 5:58 pm

Ruzious wrote:
payitforward wrote:

With me, it's a Portland/Denver thing that I get mixed up with. Maybe that started when Nurkic and Jokic were separated. I still even have to think twice to remember which team Lillard is on and think twice to get it straight that Michael Porter Jr isn't on Lillard's team. With those 2 teams playing each other, I'm a mess.

Sounds really scary, Ruz! :)
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1579 » by payitforward » Thu Jun 3, 2021 6:12 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
payitforward wrote:Not to pick on Superballman -- who did no more than write a single line post! -- but... I just watched the incredible 5th game between Portland & Denver & couldn't help noticing a few guys picked lower than #15 in the draft:

Nikola Jokic (#41)
Monte Morris (#51)
Anfernee Simons (#24)
Norman Powell (#46)
Paul Millsap (#47)
Josef Nurkic (#16)

Ok, I hear ya... I did btw follow up my post about not getting a team changer at 15, and I'm now wondering if anyone saw it?

So you did:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Don't get me wrong, I think we can get a good player. ...I just think this team is farther away overall. ...

Yes, this team is "farther away" from being a contender than any of us fans would like....
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 896

Post#1580 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Fri Jun 4, 2021 1:19 am

Looking at this draft, my ideal haul would be Davion Mitchell, Franz Wagner, Makur Maker.

Mitchell is a guy who can come in and help us immediately. We so badly need perimeter defense. We need attitude, we need tenacity. He would give us that right away as 3rd guard, and can ultimately take over for Westbrook when we're ready to move on from him.

Wagner is an ideal starting SF for this team , and would be a great fit with Hachimura in the front court. Immediately helps this team.

Maker is my upside potential star , could possibly help sooner rather than later , rotated with Gafford. Those workout videos of his have me dreaming.

But I like this as 2 safe immediate help picks although with upside too, plus a upside higher risk higher potential reward pick.

I'd be willing to move Bertans and/or Bryant to come away with 2 more 1st round picks in this draft to go with our own pick to make this happen. I would also consider including Avdija if needed to make it happen because I see Wagner as a better fit, but Bertans/Bryant would be my preference.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith

Return to Washington Wizards