Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,190

Re: ROUND 1, GAME 5: Mavericks @ Clippers 7:00PM 6/2/2021 

Post#321 » by Clemenza » Thu Jun 3, 2021 6:10 am

RingColluder wrote:
Clemenza wrote:
RingColluder wrote:The anger I felt watching Paul George once again blow the series for this team was insurmountable.

3 horrendous TO's in the 4th quarter leading to 3, 2, 2
His foul trouble (Idiotic reaching foul in 2nd that Clippers broadcast even said was low BBIQ, And 1 to Luka in 3rd and the offensive foul that led to him being benched with 4 fouls) that led to the run the Mavs went on.

The horrible turnover in the 4th with 6 min a supremely lazy play even by PG stnadards
Another turnover with 3 min to go that led to a 2
Another turnover that led to the Porzingis 3

There is just always something with him and once again it's his low BBIQ and horrendous ball handling.

This game was depressing. Blow this whole team up .

Bad turnovers from PG no doubt but Kawhi was sh*t in this game. Don't do this

Kawhi wasn't great either, but he did not COST us the game because of his idiotic foul trouble (which LED to the 3rd quarter run) and the 3 horrible TO's.

Are you not recognizing the Mavs went on the run after Paul George's 4th foul in the 3rd when he sat??? THAT is what cost us the game more than anything. It's his continuous low BBIQ that even the Clippers broadcasters complained about which is RARE.

That's on a VETERAN making MAX MONEY to not play like a ROOKIE when it matters most in the 4th or in a GAME where it's absolutely essential he show up and not get into dumb foul trouble in the most important game of the season. JUST like the Nuggets series.

Just tell the whole entire story. Some bad plays and turnovers from PG no doubt but Rondo, Kawhi, and parts of Morris were trash in this one. I'm sure Kawhi will bounce back in game 6. He's had four excellent games in a row
RingColluder
Pro Prospect
And1: 240

Post#322 » by RingColluder » Thu Jun 3, 2021 6:11 am

MartinToVaught wrote:
RingColluder wrote:The anger I felt watching Paul George once again blow the series for this team was insurmountable.

3 horrendous TO's in the 4th quarter leading to 3, 2, 2
His foul trouble (Idiotic reaching foul in 2nd that Clippers broadcast even said was low BBIQ, And 1 to Luka in 3rd and the offensive foul that led to him being benched with 4 fouls) that led to the run the Mavs went on.
His arrogant and egotistical body language after Mann shook him off when PG demanded the ball (And Mann scored on a great play).

The horrible turnover in the 4th with 6 min a supremely lazy play even by PG stnadards
Another turnover with 3 min to go that led to a 2
Another turnover that led to the Porzingis 3

There is just always something with him and once again it's his low BBIQ and horrendous ball handling.

This game was depressing. Blow this whole team up .

PG had some rough moments, but Kawhi was way worse tonight and your guy Morris has been brutally awful all series.

The game was lost in the 3rd quarter when PG had his 4th foul that ruined the team. I mentioned the points in more detail above. And the turnovers as stated, PG is the one who COST us the game. There's a difference between playing bad and CHOKING the game away with your low IQ and clutch time turnovers that lead to baskets. Not even close to equivocal.

And yeah Morris has been garbage. But he's making Luke Kennard money not max money. Batum looks way better.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#323 » by RingColluder » Thu Jun 3, 2021 6:12 am

Clemenza wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
Clemenza wrote:Bad turnovers from PG no doubt but Kawhi was sh*t in this game. Don't do this

Kawhi wasn't great either, but he did not COST us the game because of his idiotic foul trouble (which LED to the 3rd quarter run) and the 3 horrible TO's.

Are you not recognizing the Mavs went on the run after Paul George's 4th foul in the 3rd when he sat??? THAT is what cost us the game more than anything. It's his continuous low BBIQ that even the Clippers broadcasters complained about which is RARE.

That's on a VETERAN making MAX MONEY to not play like a ROOKIE when it matters most in the 4th or in a GAME where it's absolutely essential he show up and not get into dumb foul trouble in the most important game of the season. JUST like the Nuggets series.

Just tell the whole entire story. Some bad plays and turnovers from PG no doubt but Rondo, Kawhi, and parts of Morris were trash in this one. I'm sure Kawhi will bounce back in game 6. He's had four excellent games in a row

I did. PG COST US the game. And Kawhi had a bad game, Rondo played awful in that 3rd quarter stretch where PG went out with 4 fouls (HIS FAULT) including those horribly low IQ 3's Rondo shot and Morris has been awful in general for the series.

I'm not sure what the conversation is? Paul George has proven time and time again he is a failure in the playoffs, bigger than any 4th quarter poor scoring were those fouls.

And I'm not sure at all Kawhi or anyone will play well in game 6. I think we're gassed.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#324 » by RingColluder » Thu Jun 3, 2021 6:16 am

The bottom line this game was razor thin close until the Paul George 4th foul and the momentum entirely changed.

Then we came back and again they took advantage when he and Kawhi had their turnovers.

Mavs took advantage of our mistakes despite limited talent but better coaching .

The fact that we had awful Reggie SAVE US in the 3rd quarter with his play and we STILL struggled is a horrible sign. Porzingis and Hardaway had bad games and still they won.

We're getting crushed on Friday. Season is over and the sham dynasty is done.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#325 » by RingColluder » Thu Jun 3, 2021 6:19 am

I'd also like to add that it was not just that Kawhi had a "bad game" but the Mavs had a GREAT gameplan to stop him. One WE should have been using on Luka this entire series and instead somehow always got stuck with Zu on him or Reggie.

As said on the Mavs board:
"They went with a 2-1-2 zone early on and had Boban in the middle of the paint with KP on the baseline ready to help. Kawhi didn't get very many easy ones early on. Plus, Luka was filthy in the 1st quarter. Kawhi never got anything out in transition. The Mavs zone dared the Clippers to shoot open 3s, which they did. But, they were only 7 for 20 at the half.

Then in the 2nd quarter & parts of the 2H, the Mavs started doubling Kawhi to get the ball out of his hands. Kawhi never really got in a rhythm"

This is way more on the Mavs then anything. Good job to them on Kawhi.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#326 » by RingColluder » Thu Jun 3, 2021 6:33 am

Ty Lue: "PG having 4 fouls in the 3rd quarter really hurt us"

Paul George on what needs to be corrected heading into Game 6: "We got to watch that third quarter. That was a tough quarter for us... you can't have quarters like that. It's going to haunt us. That third quarter was a bad quarter for us."

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,372

Post#327 » by Roscoe Sheed » Thu Jun 3, 2021 6:43 am

The 3rd foul on PG was bogus- he didn't foul Doncic.

However, he should not have extended his arm for his 4th foul, but I've seen refs not call that too.

The worst no call was when Kawhi got clobbered by WCS- how did the refs miss that? Kawhi or Lue should have been irate about that
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#328 » by RingColluder » Thu Jun 3, 2021 6:45 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:The 3rd foul on PG was bogus- he didn't foul Doncic.

However, he should not have extended his arm for his 4th foul, but I've seen refs not call that too.

The worst no call was when Kawhi got clobbered by WCS- how did the refs miss that? Kawhi or Lue should have been irate about that

That 4th foul was one of the easiest fouls to call. He CANNOT be pulling the exact same **** he did last season against the Nuggets.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 973

Post#329 » by clipperlover » Thu Jun 3, 2021 6:56 am

RingColluder wrote:Ty Lue: "PG having 4 fouls in the 3rd quarter really hurt us"

Paul George on what needs to be corrected heading into Game 6: "We got to watch that third quarter. That was a tough quarter for us... you can't have quarters like that. It's going to haunt us. That third quarter was a bad quarter for us."

The guy was 7-15 from the field, 3-7 from 3, 6-6 from the line had 10 pts, 6asts, 3 blks, 23pts and was +17 for the game. Sure his turnovers were bad, but we aren't even in the game if not for his efforts. The fact the team fell apart in the 3rd with him out screams volumes about his importance.

T Mann made a very big mistake by not just going up for the go ahead bucket. It was like the moment became to big for him, so he passed to a vet.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#330 » by RingColluder » Thu Jun 3, 2021 6:59 am

clipperlover wrote:
RingColluder wrote:Ty Lue: "PG having 4 fouls in the 3rd quarter really hurt us"

The guy was 7-15 from the field, 3-7 from 3, 6-6 from the line had 10 pts, 6asts, 3 blks, 23pts and was +17 for the game. Sure his turnovers were bad, but we aren't even in the game if not for his efforts. The fact the team fell apart in the 3rd with him out screams volumes about his importance.

T Mann made a very big mistake by not just going up for the go ahead bucket. It was like the moment became to big for him, so he passed to a vet.

Which is why as a veteran and max player he can't be making rookie mistakes with his 4 fouls early in the 3rd. This is classic Playoff P and exactly what he did in the Nuggets series.

If this is truly how low his BBIQ is, I would run as far away from his as possible given his lackluster playoff record. He just can never figure it out bc he lacks the IQ to realize how important he is to the team.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,880

Post#331 » by esqtvd » Thu Jun 3, 2021 7:45 am

Clemenza wrote:Bad turnovers from PG no doubt but Kawhi was sh*t in this game. Don't do this

yah I don't get this guy, nobody does
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#332 » by RingColluder » Thu Jun 3, 2021 8:02 am

esqtvd wrote:

yah I don't get this guy, nobody does

Stop.

I'll just focus on the game (and ignore plenty I could personally bring up from your DM's) and ask where was Beverly who you praised to the high heavens for weeks and totally disregarded TMann when we would have been way better off playing him those last 10-15 games instead of Bev. Vanished, huh? No stats to back it up just, "this is supposed to be fun"? Fun is not losing in the first round.

And it seems me and MTV "got" what this team was really about like months ago compared to others who blindly just acted like the 2nd half of the season never existed.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#333 » by RingColluder » Thu Jun 3, 2021 8:07 am

What is Kawhi supposed to do when he is constantly getting trapped, double teamed, and no one else is?

I'm not even talking about the turnovers from either him or Kawhi, if Paul George didn't get into dumb foul trouble we win this game. The fact that the Clippers broadcasters and Ty Lue (for the first time possibly all season) openly criticized him for it says everything. That speaks volumes. Not the turnovers, it's the 4th foul from low IQ Paul.

The championship hopes are over. The whole goal of this playoff series was to have an easy restful round 1 and instead we are having an even more difficult time with this Mavs team which two of us called out pre series. More talent, but less heart and basketball IQ. That simple.

Win or lose, game 6 will show us the heart of this team. But the only one I truly believe will go in playing 100% mentally is TMann. Not even Kawhi or Rondo I see coming through mentally if we get off to a bad start.
veji1
Starter
And1: 488

Post#334 » by veji1 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 10:31 am

I am probably very bad at understanding BBall, or it has massively changed in 5/6 years (probably both), but isn't the key to this series Kawhi and PG hounding Doncic on D and just making him pass the ball or spew horrible contested shots ? Kawhi shut down Lebron in 2014 he needs to be able to bother Doncic, if he or PG can't then the team is toast. That's it. I mean these are 2 strong and tall wings that supposedly can guard 1-4... Where the hell are they ? Don't switch, fight over, pick Doncic up at the halfcourt, bully him on D and if you can't then at least bully him on O, look for him, post him up, bump him, scratch him, hurt him for god's sake....
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 893

Post#335 » by NickP » Thu Jun 3, 2021 1:04 pm

Hey Mods, I rarely call you guys out like this but are you um actually reading what's going on here? Do you still not see how every god damn thread is hijacked into a PG personal vendetta thread?
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,420

Post#336 » by TrueLAfan » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:07 pm

Yes, we are. Yes, we are aware of the potential of beginnings of thread derailments.

If you think there are posts, or a series of posts that disrupts the normal flow of dialogue or otherwise act in a manner that negatively affects other users’ ability to engage in real-time exchanges,
please report the post(s) immediately. It is ok to state your opinion but if you think posts keep beating the drum negatively on game forums in a way that derails the ability to discuss forum topics, please report the post(s) immediately. Try not to respond with personal attacks; let the mods take care of content and posters that are distracting.
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 893

Post#337 » by NickP » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:18 pm

TrueLAfan wrote:Yes, we are. Yes, we are aware of the potential of beginnings of thread derailments.

If you think there are posts, or a series of posts that disrupts the normal flow of dialogue or otherwise act in a manner that negatively affects other users’ ability to engage in real-time exchanges,
please report the post(s) immediately. It is ok to state your opinion but if you think posts keep beating the drum negatively on game forums in a way that derails the ability to discuss forum topics, please report the post(s) immediately. Try not to respond with personal attacks; let the mods take care of content and posters that are distracting.

Edited by Mod: Again, Report the Posts. If the explanation shows a violation of rules, things will be dealt with.

That being said, this is (another) blanket warning. I understand we're all upset. We can talk and disagree in a way all fans do, with passion and desire. But if anyone does something, or keeps doing something, that is a personal attack or keeps people from posting about forum topic, or inhibits discussion, it's an immediate ban. Period. End of discussion.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,156

Post#338 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:34 pm

NickP wrote:Hey Mods, I rarely call you guys out like this but are you um actually reading what's going on here? Do you still not see how every god damn thread is hijacked into a PG personal vendetta thread?

It's pretty bizarre for this game in particular because PG was one of the only players on this sorry-ass team who played with heart and wanted to win. Yes, his fouls were stupid. No, it doesn't excuse the rest of the team for melting down. This wasn't a "Playoff P" game, this was him trying and not getting enough help. There's being critical of a player and then there's being unreasonable. Trashing PG like he single-handedly lost that game is being unreasonable. Especially when the player he's been advocating to surpass PG as the second option (Morris) has been a disaster all series.

That being said, PG still has to be traded this offseason barring a miracle playoff run. If Kawhi stays, we've seen enough to know that this duo isn't going to deliver any real success and it's time to reshuffle the team around him. If Kawhi leaves, we desperately need to replenish some draft picks with a PG trade.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,420

Post#339 » by TrueLAfan » Thu Jun 3, 2021 3:01 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
NickP wrote:Hey Mods, I rarely call you guys out like this but are you um actually reading what's going on here? Do you still not see how every god damn thread is hijacked into a PG personal vendetta thread?

It's pretty bizarre for this game in particular because PG was one of the only players on this sorry-ass team who played with heart and wanted to win. Yes, his fouls were stupid. No, it doesn't excuse the rest of the team for melting down. This wasn't a "Playoff P" game, this was him trying and not getting enough help. There's being critical of a player and then there's being unreasonable.

This. And yeah. I kind of agree that the foul calls on PG were ticky-tack—especially by playoff standards—but he should know better. OTOH, he played great for nearly 39 minutes. The anti-PG thing isn’t worth giving air to. We fell behind when PG was out—but not because he was out. From 6:32 to 3:30, while PG was out, we gave up … 1 point. It was 70-67 when he was called for the fourth foul and went to the bench. Reggie hit a three point shot to put us back in the lead, 75-73, with about 3:30 to go. All we had to do was keep playing like that for about three more minutes.

Instead … well, our breakdown for the final 3:20 of the third quarter looks like this:

2:51: MISS: Jackson 25’ 3PT Step Back Jump Shot
2:23: TURNOVER: Leonard Bad Pass
2:06: MISS: Leonard 14’ Fadeaway Jumper
1:38: MISS: Rondo 28’ 3PT Step Back Jump Shot
1:04: MISS: Rondo 27’ 3PT Step Back Jump Shot
35.5: MISS: Leonard 27’ 3PT Jump Shot
30.6: FOUL: R. Rondo
5.3: MISS: Jackson 4’ Driving Hook Shot
3.8: OFF. REBOUND: Morris
3.8: MISS: Morris Tip Layup Shot
1.7: OFF. REBOUND: Leonard
0.2: MISS: Leonard 15’ Turnaround Fadeaway Bank Jump Shot
7 possessions, 8 misses, 1 Turnover.

Here’s what the Mavs did in that 3:20.

3:17: 3 PT: Hardaway Jr. 26’ Jump Shot (76-75)
2:39: 2 PT: Doncic 8’ Floating Jump Shot (78-75)
2:23: Hardaway Jr. steal
2:22: 2 PT: Doncic 2’ Running Alley Oop Layup Shot (80-75)
1:51: 2 PT: Doncic 5’ Driving Jump Shot (82-75)
1:25: 2 PT: Powell 2’ Cutting Dunk Shot (84-75)
52.0: 3 PT: Doncic 27’ Step Back Jump Shot (87-75)
30.6: MISS: 2 PT: Doncic 30’ Pull Up Jump Shot
30.6 OFF. REBOUND: Finney-Smith
30.6: 2 PT: Finney-Smith 2 FT (89-75)

7 possessions, 4 2 PT makes, 2 3 PT. makes, 2 FT, 1 miss

We were outscored 16-0. Any questions?

The team we had on the court was Kawhi Leonard, Marcus Morris, Jackson/Mann, Rondo, and Zubac/Batum. They are the players that did not make stops and did not make shots. We are not talking about players being tired, or second units. Other than PG, those are our main mpg players. What we had was a flood of bad play from everyone on the court at the same time. None of them escapes this. Going 0-8 and letting the other team go 6-7 is simply unacceptable.

Note: I actually thought Mann played well—he made the type of mistake and hesitated the way a player of his caliber and experience should have been expected. He brought some spark—we need players to play downhill, with aggression, attacking the basket.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,156

Post#340 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Jun 3, 2021 3:30 pm

Read on Twitter

We might as well rest the starters and concede Game 6, because we're not winning Game 7 if it comes to that. Early matinee games = automatic loss.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers