ImageImageImage

Around the NBA Discussion (20/21)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Re: Around the NBA Discussion (20/21) 

Post#202 » by daoneandonly » Wed Jun 2, 2021 2:39 pm

Huge news out of Boston. Ainge resigns, Stevens moving from coach to president of Basketball Ops. Dallas should look to part ways with Donnie as well
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#203 » by arkuo » Wed Jun 2, 2021 2:42 pm

I feel like Ainge was given a courtesy resignation instead of an outright firing.

Carlisle could actually transfer and coach his beloved Boston Celtics now that a vacancy opened.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#204 » by arkuo » Wed Jun 2, 2021 2:43 pm

daoneandonly wrote:Huge news out of Boston. Ainge resigns, Stevens moving from coach to president of Basketball Ops. Dallas should look to part ways with Donnie as well

If Cuban fired Donnie and hired Ainge, that would be great!
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,397

Post#205 » by Mavrelous » Thu Jun 3, 2021 9:32 am

I think Ainge is a great GM, but very conservative, Mavs current roster + Luka need a loose Cannon, like Donnie/Cuban, they need talent fast, not methodic building like Ainge, but hald of the league would upgrade significantly if they get him.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
arkuo
General Manager

Post#206 » by arkuo » Thu Jun 3, 2021 9:39 am

KhalilS wrote:I think Ainge is a great GM, but very conservative, Mavs current roster + Luka need a loose Cannon, like Donnie/Cuban, they need talent fast, not methodic building like Ainge, but hald of the league would upgrade significantly if they get him.

Actually that is one side of the equation. The other half is to get talent you need assets to send out. Which the Mavs don't have and that is year after year of failure to develop draft picks. No talent = no assets to trade. We can't get an all star in return for Dorian Finney Smith and/or Maxi Kleber. And this traces all the way back to Donnie just sitting in his office.
Absinthe
Pro Prospect
And1: 452

Post#207 » by Absinthe » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:20 am

Ainge was way too conservative. Infinitely so. He hoarded assets and did absolutely nothing with them. They’ve got a ton of picks that will likely not net anyone decent and absolutely nothing to show for it. For example, they’re going to have a reasonably high pick this year and I honestly felt that could have been used to get someone like Chris Paul or Harden. Yet they sat on it.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#208 » by arkuo » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:00 am

If the Nuggets get bounced, let's hope for a Jokic trade request.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,818

Post#209 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:24 am

Basketball sometimes is simple, Suns have 2 all star in the backcourt, 2 3&D guys and a center who can defend and rebound= at least WCF.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#210 » by arkuo » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:31 pm

As expected, the Denver Nuggets get bounced via a 0-4 sweep. If Jokic indicates that he doesn't want to sign the Denver extension, I'd say he gets traded. Wishful thinking at this point, but I've seen KG and Shaq get traded the past two decades, so I wouldn't count it as impossible.

As it is, I think they are capped out, and I assume they have to extend Aaron Gordon and re=sign MPJ to a far bigger deal which puts them in the red.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,817

Post#211 » by dirkforpres » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:53 pm

arkuo wrote:As expected, the Denver Nuggets get bounced via a 0-4 sweep. If Jokic indicates that he doesn't want to sign the Denver extension, I'd say he gets traded. Wishful thinking at this point, but I've seen KG and Shaq get traded the past two decades, so I wouldn't count it as impossible.

As it is, I think they are capped out, and I assume they have to extend Aaron Gordon and re=sign MPJ to a far bigger deal which puts them in the red.

Even if Jokic did want out (he won’t), no team would ever trade the MVP of the league. The Nuggets would go down fighting until the final minute trying to convince him to stay before they let him leave to go anywhere else…

Nuggets will re-sign Gordon, then look for trades this summer with Bol, Barton, Morris, etc… they have moves they can make.. even home run swings like an MPJ trade make sense for them
FIRE JASON KIDD
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#212 » by JD45 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:53 pm

arkuo wrote:As expected, the Denver Nuggets get bounced via a 0-4 sweep. If Jokic indicates that he doesn't want to sign the Denver extension, I'd say he gets traded. Wishful thinking at this point, but I've seen KG and Shaq get traded the past two decades, so I wouldn't count it as impossible.

Sportrac says he has two more years on his current deal. Is he even eligible for an extension this year?
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/denver-nuggets/nikola-jokic-15393/
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
arkuo
General Manager

Post#213 » by arkuo » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:01 pm

dirkforpres wrote:

Even if Jokic did want out (he won’t), no team would ever trade the MVP of the league. The Nuggets would go down fighting until the final minute trying to convince him to stay before they let him leave to go anywhere else…

Nuggets will re-sign Gordon, then look for trades this summer with Bol, Barton, Morris, etc… they have moves they can make.. even home run swings like an MPJ trade make sense for them

I know, that's why I said, it's just improbable, not impossible.

We've seen Kareem get traded before, and Shaq and KG get traded more recently, it's not impossible. Although internally I hope Luka's been texting the Balkan boys right now. They were pretty close in the bubble. Jokic is UFA in 2023, Mavs have like 13 empty roster spots in 2023. Everyone except Luka and Josh Green have contracts beyond 2022. KP conveniently has a player option he can get out of if he likes to get out of Dallas. Jokic also has Jeff Schwartz as an agent, and we all know how close he is to Cuban. Been wining and dining him for years now.

All I'm saying is IF this current version of the Mavs team doesn't work out, they can always blow it up and reset in 2023. Luka will still just be 24 then. Jokic is a free agent and KP can go rot on some team he can get 40 shots a night at so he won't complain about being a #2 option.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#214 » by arkuo » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:29 am

Man, Giannis sucking with the Bucks right now. Couldn't beat a hobbled Brookyln team even with a proper support cast around him.

I guess he has to realize he's not a wing player and start playing inside more.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,006

Post#215 » by HMFFL » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:27 am

arkuo wrote:Man, Giannis sucking with the Bucks right now. Couldn't beat a hobbled Brookyln team even with a proper support cast around him.

I guess he has to realize he's not a wing player and start playing inside more.
It's on Giannis this season and Coach Bud. I never cared for Coach and Giannis does have a competent supporting cast now since Brooklyn is hurting.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#216 » by daoneandonly » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:22 am

Really annoyed at this postseason. The 3 teams left that I really want to see eliminated LAC, Atl, and PHX are all playing well and can advance even further. Just infuriating.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,397

Post#217 » by Mavrelous » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:20 pm

Why do you want the LAC to fail? Always root for the team that beat you, be a loser only to the eventual champ, next year, boo them as you like :)
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#218 » by JJP » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:37 pm

I have never liked player-manufactured buddy teams. To hell with the Clippers and every other team like it - including the team we beat in 2011 for the championship.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#219 » by daoneandonly » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:52 pm

KhalilS wrote:Why do you want the LAC to fail? Always root for the team that beat you, be a loser only to the eventual champ, next year, boo them as you like :)

I understand that to a certain extent, but here's my reasoning. of the 3 I want to see fail, Clippers are the ones I can tolerate

LAC - the players, mainly Rondo, Morris, and PG13. Pretty classless guys, I have no issue with Kawhi and the others
PHX - CP3 is a jerk, and political reasons with replacing McCain with a Democrat and ruining the Senate
ATL- political and moral, electing a false teacher/preacher to the Senate. The guy is a low life.
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#220 » by JD45 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:33 pm

Who we want to win a series is completely irrelevant to the outcome. Just enjoy the games.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat

Return to Dallas Mavericks