ImageImageImage

Playoffs: First Round Game 5 : (8) Washington Wizards @ (1) Philadelphia 76ers l Wednesday 6/2 l 7:00pm l NBCSP/NBATV

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Philly2good
Pro Prospect
And1: 134

Re: Playoffs: First Round Game 5 : (8) Washington Wizards @ (1) Philadelphia 76ers l Wednesday 6/2 l 7:00pm l NBCSP/NBAT 

Post#301 » by Philly2good » Thu Jun 3, 2021 6:19 am

Kova wrote:It was a blowout in the end, but I didn't think we looked good until mid 3rd quarter. First half was very hectic. Rookie putting us on his back.
If Joel isn't ready to play we're in trouble, unfortunately.

That's the thing about basketball being 4 quarters
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,760

Re: Playoffs: First Round Game 5 : (8) Washington Wizards @ (1) Philadelphia 76ers l Wednesday 6/2 l 7:00pm l NBCSP/NBAT 

Post#302 » by XtremeDunkz » Thu Jun 3, 2021 7:06 am

Philly2good wrote:
ILikeLollies wrote:first 10 or so pages of this thread are legit embarrassing.

Glad it's not just me ... Some of the hot takes are rediculous. It's the same posters who all said Maxey was trash after a few bad games mid season lolz
Its gotten to the point where the general board is more level headed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,336

Post#303 » by 76ciology » Thu Jun 3, 2021 8:44 am

Ben looked good at C with Green, Thybulle and Tobi at the wings. I’d love to see more of that

We can see this 5 man unit against the Nets or Hawks.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#304 » by 76ciology » Thu Jun 3, 2021 9:06 am

Hachimura = Just an athletic version of Marcus Morris or Hakim Warrick with mid range jumper.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#305 » by 76ciology » Thu Jun 3, 2021 9:10 am

We beat the Wiz on their own game. This is the most impressive game of this series. And I do think it will make us a better team going forward.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,748

Post#306 » by Stanford » Thu Jun 3, 2021 10:27 am

ILikeLollies wrote:first 10 or so pages of this thread are legit embarrassing.

Join us next time! I can recommend some novels if you're looking for a good read, cause game threads aren't it.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,409

Post#307 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Jun 3, 2021 10:34 am

The reason New York struggled so bad was because Julius Randle was completely phased out in that series. He couldn't get going at all, Capela was constantly in his way, and they couldn't hit their threes. They also had no answer for Trae Young or Bogan. Even without Embiid, we're still a much better team than the Knicks. I'm not at all saying this will be easy, but we can still beat Atlanta without Jo.
Embiid-MVP
Junior
And1: 217

Post#308 » by Embiid-MVP » Thu Jun 3, 2021 1:18 pm

Stanford wrote:
Embiid-MVP wrote:Great game from everyone!!

My idea of Ben at Center wasnt so crazy now huh. That's just to the few that thought I was crazy

Still think you're crazy. Could work for short stretches I guess, but there's zero rim protection and the Wizards exploited it in the first half. They just gave up in the second half.

Wasn't a lot but Ben had 2 blocks and Howard had 3. Tobias chipped in one too.

There's nothing crazy about it we don't have a center beyond Howard and Doc wants him with the second unit obviously so the only logical choice is Ben imo. Mike Scott in the lineup makes our defense more suspect. Having Ben at Center you can bring in a bigger contributer , if you want elite Defense Thybulle or offense Maxey. There's others too that offer more than putting Scott there.

38 points in the paint ain't the craziest of things
:banghead:
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,367

Post#309 » by Eyeamok » Thu Jun 3, 2021 1:32 pm

Negrodamus wrote:It’s going to be the Shake game... redemption time!

Poor Shake. There are several instances, in last night game, where the camera pans over to the bench and Shake is there with his head down not even engaged in what is going on on the court. He might be mentally checked out.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#310 » by Sixerscan » Thu Jun 3, 2021 1:46 pm

Embiid-MVP wrote:
Stanford wrote:
Embiid-MVP wrote:Great game from everyone!!

My idea of Ben at Center wasnt so crazy now huh. That's just to the few that thought I was crazy

Still think you're crazy. Could work for short stretches I guess, but there's zero rim protection and the Wizards exploited it in the first half. They just gave up in the second half.

Wasn't a lot but Ben had 2 blocks and Howard had 3. Tobias chipped in one too.

There's nothing crazy about it we don't have a center beyond Howard and Doc wants him with the second unit obviously so the only logical choice is Ben imo. Mike Scott in the lineup makes our defense more suspect. Having Ben at Center you can bring in a bigger contributer , if you want elite Defense Thybulle or offense Maxey. There's others too that offer more than putting Scott there.

38 points in the paint ain't the craziest of things

Not that blocks matter very much, but 6 blocks is a lot, no team in the nba averaged more than 5.9.

Also I don’t get why people call these lineups Ben at center? He was covering Rui and then Beal. If anything they are the Harris at center lineups.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,367

Post#311 » by Eyeamok » Thu Jun 3, 2021 1:46 pm

sodmoraes wrote:Yeah his potential was obvious since that covid game he scored 40 points. He should have been developed earlier since his skillset is unique in this team.
Kobblehead wrote:
Stanford wrote:Maxey is so good that it's making me mad

Legit pissed at Doc for not playing him all year despite how obvious we needed his skillset precisely for this moment of playoff basketball.

Sent from my SM-G920I using RealGM mobile app

Perhaps he needed work between the ears. And that is why he sat and listened to Sam Cassell tell him what to do and what not to do when his moment comes. Perhaps that is why the 76ers were reluctant to trade him. They knew what they potentially have/had in Maxey but he is/was just not ready.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#312 » by Sixerscan » Thu Jun 3, 2021 1:55 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
sodmoraes wrote:Yeah his potential was obvious since that covid game he scored 40 points. He should have been developed earlier since his skillset is unique in this team.
Kobblehead wrote:Legit pissed at Doc for not playing him all year despite how obvious we needed his skillset precisely for this moment of playoff basketball.

Sent from my SM-G920I using RealGM mobile app

Perhaps he need work between the ears. And that is why he sat and listened to Sam Cassell tell him what to do and what not to do when his moment comes. Perhaps that is why the 76ers were reluctant to trade him. They knew what they potentially have/had in Maxey but he is/was just not ready.

Yeah he had some legitimately terrible habits at the first half of the season and they probably used playing time as a carrot for him to change those habits. That covid game was just chucking up shots in a borderline meaningless situation, he’s playing actual good basketball now.
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 580

Post#313 » by blargh » Thu Jun 3, 2021 3:34 pm

Although they both had good games, I do think having Curry initiate offense when Maxey is spacing the floor was a waste of time: both players are obviously better in the other roles.
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 9,784

Post#314 » by Murray_17 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 3:54 pm

Maxey also was super lost on defense early in the year, not sure if people remembers but he single handledly cost us 2 or 3 games with little defensive mistakes and misscomunications. The most notably one was the game in Portland where Carmelo went nuts in the 4th.

It's great to see how the guy worked hard and improved and also his willingess not only to erase bad habits but to learn how to position himself on the court and how to rotate.

It' obvious, by looking him in this series, that he trives on stuff like this.
snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,111

Post#315 » by snoopdogg88 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 4:05 pm

I’m back on forth on whether I think Maxey will ever be anything more than a good NBA scorer. But damn if the kid isn’t super fun to watch. And doing this as a rookie? That energy and ability to get to the basket is sorely needed on this team.

There will always be a place in the league for him.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#316 » by 76ciology » Thu Jun 3, 2021 4:28 pm

blargh wrote:Although they both had good games, I do think having Curry initiate offense when Maxey is spacing the floor was a waste of time: both players are obviously better in the other roles.

Sorry i have to disagree.

Curry can space the floor. Maxey.. his shot seems to be improving. Let’s say both can space the floor, since you sound like you dont have any issues with Maxey’s shooting.

Now, you need both because Seth or Maxey alone is not that good to breakdown the defense like Harden, Doncic or prime CP3. Having both allows you to keep drive, draw and kick until you get an open shot.

This is why i was happy to see how our guys performed in game 5. Doc was trying to run the same group of guys on the same drive and draw principle, and it looked clunky in the regular season. But last night, it looked nice. I hope these guys can improve on the fly.

Its a blessing in disguise that Biid was not able to play for we possibly can add another gear to our arsenal with the drive and draw offense with multiple guards and having Ben at the 5 position,
76ciology
RealGM

Post#317 » by 76ciology » Thu Jun 3, 2021 4:30 pm

I like Maxey but I know his limitations but im staying open minded on how good he can be. He plays the right way, quick learner and is a hard worker. Anything can happen.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,661

Post#318 » by Negrodamus » Thu Jun 3, 2021 5:11 pm

Eyeamok wrote:

Poor Shake. There are several instances, in last night game, where the camera pans over to the bench and Shake is there with his head down not even engaged in what is going on on the court. He might be mentally checked out.

Man, I nailed that prediction!
blargh
Pro Prospect

Post#319 » by blargh » Thu Jun 3, 2021 6:08 pm

76ciology wrote:
blargh wrote:Although they both had good games, I do think having Curry initiate offense when Maxey is spacing the floor was a waste of time: both players are obviously better in the other roles.

Sorry i have to disagree.

Curry can space the floor. Maxey.. his shot seems to be improving. Let’s say both can space the floor, since you sound like you dont have any issues with Maxey’s shooting.

Now, you need both because Seth or Maxey alone is not that good to breakdown the defense like Harden, Doncic or prime CP3. Having both allows you to keep drive, draw and kick until you get an open shot.

This is why i was happy to see how our guys performed in game 5. Doc was trying to run the same group of guys on the same drive and draw principle, and it looked clunky in the regular season. But last night, it looked nice. I hope these guys can improve on the fly.

Its a blessing in disguise that Biid was not able to play for we possibly can add another gear to our arsenal with the drive and draw offense with multiple guards and having Ben at the 5 position,

Maybe i need to clarify. I’m not saying Curry and Maxey shouldn’t play together- i’m just saying in those minutes, Maxey should be initiating the offense. Curry’s ball handling is valuable in the Maxey-less lineups, but he’s not always going to have Raul Neto to take advantage of. Maxey is fun to watch right now, but he’s still pretty green at cutting and relocating into space.
blargh
Pro Prospect

Post#320 » by blargh » Thu Jun 3, 2021 6:14 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:

Man, I nailed that prediction!

He looks alright.

Read on Twitter

Return to Philadelphia 76ers