ImageImageImage

Kemba Walker Thread: Celtics seek to Trade Walker

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,211

Kemba Walker Thread: Celtics seek to Trade Walker 

Post#1 » by Parliament10 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 6:00 pm

Report: Celtics to seek Kemba Walker trade
By Dan Feldman | Jun 3, 2021, 1:32 PM EDT

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2021/06/03/report-celtics-to-seek-kemba-walker-trade/
Though he has declined from his time with the Hornets and even last season with Boston, Walker remains a fine starting point guard. He averaged 19.3 points and 4.9 assists per game this season with reasonable efficiency. The Celtics would be worse without him.

But Walker is due $36,016,200 and $37,653,300 (player option) the next two years. Boston projects to be over the luxury-tax line next season even without re-signing Evan Fournier or using the mid-level exception

Walker has battled knee issues the last couple years, and he’s now 31. Small guards like him tend to age poorly.

Marcus Smart could play more point guard, and Payton Pritchard already looks capable as a backup. Smart (27) and Pritchard (23) are better long-term fits as the Celtics build around Jayson Tatum (23) and Jaylen Brown (24).

Yet, for all the same reasons Boston wants to trade Walker, other teams will be reluctant to acquire him. Walker probably holds negative value throughout the league.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,605

Re: Kemba Walker Thread: Celtics seek to Trade Walker 

Post#2 » by BK_2020 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 6:03 pm

Kemba's 2020-21 TS% splits by days rest:

1 day - .545
2 days - .562
3 days - .635

His scoring averages also go up from 18 to 20 to 22.

His career splits do not show this trend. His best numbers recorded with 3+ days rest, then 0 days rest, then 2 and 1 about identical.

I think this season was definitely an outlier for him and hopefully a full off-season's rest will make him a neutral asset at least. Or a team looking at his numbers will think the same and trade for him.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,757

Post#3 » by SuperDeluxe » Thu Jun 3, 2021 6:13 pm

So the original article (Brian Robb's) says:

Kemba Walker is one of the most overpaid players in the NBA and league sources expect the Celtics to explore moving him in a trade to help create some current and future salary flexibility and reduce what is currently set to be the highest tax bill in team history

In other words, Brian Robb says that other unnamed (made-up?) sources are speculating, then NBC Sports comes up with the title "Report: Celtics to seek Kemba Walker trade." Sports journalism at its worse.

Everybody knows it would make absolute financial sense to trade Kemba, but that doesn't mean the Celtics will actively try to do it.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,541

Post#4 » by Celts17Pride » Thu Jun 3, 2021 6:17 pm

I personally seek to be a millionaire. I guess we all have dreams.
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 9,931

Post#5 » by fallguy » Thu Jun 3, 2021 6:21 pm

SuperDeluxe wrote:So the original article (Brian Robb's) says:

Kemba Walker is one of the most overpaid players in the NBA and league sources expect the Celtics to explore moving him in a trade to help create some current and future salary flexibility and reduce what is currently set to be the highest tax bill in team history

In other words, Brian Robb says that other unnamed (made-up?) sources are speculating, then NBC Sports comes up with the title "Report: Celtics to seek Kemba Walker trade." Sports journalism at its worse.

Everybody knows it would make absolute financial sense to trade Kemba, but that doesn't mean the Celtics will actively try to do it.

Robb is not making that up.
MrGreenRunsDeep
Sixth Man
And1: 1,734

Post#6 » by MrGreenRunsDeep » Thu Jun 3, 2021 6:24 pm

Trade back for scary terry?
Just a Fan From Toronto Canada who Loves the Boston Celtics & Toronto Raptors!
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,642

Post#7 » by GoCeltics123 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 6:26 pm

MrGreenRunsDeep wrote:Trade back for scary terry?

Oh **** no lol

Can't stand Terry, keep him as far away from this team as possible
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#8 » by Andrew McCeltic » Thu Jun 3, 2021 6:26 pm

Hindsight: if we’d kept Rozier and Marcus Morris, we’d be better off today and have had more trade options over the last two years.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by SuperDeluxe » Thu Jun 3, 2021 6:30 pm

fallguy wrote:

Robb is not making that up.

Could be. I'm not familiar with Robb, but my point is: the NBC Sports "writer" saw a report of speculation online, then decided to convert it into clickbait.
Correct title: "Report: League sources believe the Celtics will seek Kemba Walker trade"
NBC Sports' clickbait: "Report: Celtics to seek Kemba Walker trade"
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#10 » by greenroom31 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 6:32 pm

"According to sources, sources say..."

:lol:
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#11 » by soxfan2003 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 6:41 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:Hindsight: if we’d kept Rozier and Marcus Morris, we’d be better off today and have had more trade options over the last two years.

True but I can see why Ainge let both players go.

Passing on re-signing Hayward, Horford, Rozier and Morris all justifiable decisions and in most cases given where Celtics were at prudent decisions.

The big mistake was signing Kemba. Bad decision to sign an aging Kemba to the max, terrible risk that was a surefire loser move given where Celtics were at with the 3 knee surgeries.

Even if the Kyrie trade on balance was a moderately bad risk since Celtics were giving up a Nets pick that could have ended up in top 5, it had a real opportunity to work out and help lead the Celtics to a championship. Kyrie was on a great contract for 2 years and Celtics had Horford/Hayward.

Kemba on a team without even Horford never had a chance to help lead this team to a title. Tatum wasn't going to turn into peak Lebron and Brown wasn't going to be that strong #2 player overnight.

It really was a terrible decision that was so bad that I lose some faith with EVERYONE in the organization that had input into it that didn't go nuclear trying to prevent it.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by SuperDeluxe » Thu Jun 3, 2021 6:45 pm

greenroom31 wrote:

"According to sources, sources say..."

:lol:

Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,603

Post#13 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Jun 3, 2021 6:55 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:I personally seek to be a millionaire. I guess we all have dreams.

Trust me, it's not all it's cracked up to be. You still put your pants on one leg at a time and get arthritis. Now billionaire, that's a different story.

So the Celtics are looking to trade Kemba Walker? Well, duh?
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Post#14 » by KGboss » Thu Jun 3, 2021 7:17 pm

I hope so.

I have always enjoyed Kemba as a Uconn fan but it's clear to me this knee isnt getting better.

They need to move on from Rob as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,312

Post#15 » by Captain_Caveman » Thu Jun 3, 2021 7:34 pm

Liquidating a broken-down Kemba obviously has to be Plan A, given the looming tax situation.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,541

Post#16 » by Celts17Pride » Thu Jun 3, 2021 7:47 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:Liquidating a broken-down Kemba obviously has to be Plan A, given the looming tax situation.

The Celtics just about have to do what ever it takes.
FrodoFraggins
Senior
And1: 519

Post#17 » by FrodoFraggins » Thu Jun 3, 2021 8:04 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:Hindsight: if we’d kept Rozier and Marcus Morris, we’d be better off today and have had more trade options over the last two years.

Rozier was far too toxic to keep. But sure on paper it works.
FrodoFraggins
Senior
And1: 519

Post#18 » by FrodoFraggins » Thu Jun 3, 2021 8:06 pm

Now that Danny is out, I actually have some faith the roster will be improved and Kemba can actually be moved. Hopefully it doesn't require a first round pick. I think there may be a team out there willing to take a chance on him and not require us to take back an equally bad contract.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#19 » by djFan71 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 8:12 pm

I don't panic and pay to dump Kemba. I think you try to use his salary, a ton of picks, maybe one of Romeo/Nesmith to get the next disgruntled star. You can't get a superstar with that, but that's roughly the Jrue Holiday type package.

If nothing shakes free this summer, Kemba can come off the bench and slide into the Microwave role. By the deadline next year, worst case he sucks/injured but he's only got 1.5 years on his deal at that point and is very tradeable (along with the picks). We're one of the few top teams that still own all their first round picks, so it's going to be hard to beat a next year's expiring salary ballast, young wing, 2 firsts and 2 swaps package.

You also have the off-chance that he bounces back and stays healthy. I doubt that one, but it's possible. Either way, paying extra assets to dump him doesn't make sense to me. We need to add talent, not just lose salary.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#20 » by Andrew McCeltic » Thu Jun 3, 2021 8:15 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:I personally seek to be a millionaire. I guess we all have dreams.

Trust me, it's not all it's cracked up to be. You still put your pants on one leg at a time and get arthritis. Now billionaire, that's a different story.

So the Celtics are looking to trade Kemba Walker? Well, duh?

Yes, I’m sure it’s meaningless. Happy to put your pants on you and massage your joints if you cut me into the will.

Return to Boston Celtics