Official Trade Thread -- Part XL

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Re: Official Trade Thread -- Part XL 

Post#1941 » by payitforward » Thu Jun 3, 2021 9:51 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:Bertans to the Knicks for #32? They could absorb his salary straight up and they need shooting.

Or... how aboot #15 and Bertans for 19, 21, and 32? We pick Butler, Duarte, and Petrusev.

Mann, Murphy, and Ayayi?

I'd love that, but how would we make it work given Bertans' big salary?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1942 » by payitforward » Thu Jun 3, 2021 10:02 pm

NatP4 wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:Bertans to the Knicks for #32? They could absorb his salary straight up and they need shooting.

I don’t get why we would do that. Bertans is a good player. We can just buy one of those picks.

This team has plenty of problems, Bertans is not one of them IMO.

Wrong on both counts:

1. Bertans is not "a good player." He is a good shooter. Overall, on his career & on this season, he is a below average NBA player.

2. Bertans is certainly one our problem! He makes $16m/year, & we are knocking on the door of the tax. Thus, his salary limits the moves we can make.

But... last year Tommy turned down a R1 pick for Bertans. He isn't likely to take the #32 pick for him this year.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1943 » by Ruzious » Thu Jun 3, 2021 10:12 pm

payitforward wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Or... how aboot #15 and Bertans for 19, 21, and 32? We pick Butler, Duarte, and Petrusev.

Mann, Murphy, and Ayayi?

The Knicks have more than enough cap space.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#1944 » by prime1time » Thu Jun 3, 2021 10:14 pm

What do people think about taking a flyer on Cam Reddish?
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,447

Post#1945 » by mhd » Thu Jun 3, 2021 10:21 pm

prime1time wrote:What do people think about taking a flyer on Cam Reddish?

Its weird how he gets no PT, but he is behind Bogs, Huerter, Hunter, and even Snell in the Atlanta rotation. Does Atl give up on him so soon?

Dat was right on him in his pre-draft evaluation, but I'd take a flyer on him. We have a huge hole at big wings.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,310

Post#1946 » by NatP4 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 10:24 pm

He has no idea how to play basketball. There’s a reason he doesn’t play. Id much rather give the MLE to Otto. We aren’t trying to build a summer league team, we need someone who plays hard and is also a positive impact defender and does not need the ball in his hands on offense, but can provide spacing.

Reddish deflates the ball every time he touches it, has awful tunnel vision. On defense he is completely lost. No thanks for me.
mhd
General Manager

Post#1947 » by mhd » Thu Jun 3, 2021 10:25 pm

What about this trade idea:

Wiz trade Bryant for Knox+#32?

I know I'm the board's resident Bryant hater, but I just don't see us resigning him after next year. Gafford is the future at center, and you can always find burly backup centers that cost significantly less than Bryant makes.

Knicks might not want to resign Noel (they have Mitchell Robinson as a cheap center for at least one more year). Bryant gives them a stretch big that they take a chance on. Knox didn't even play, but he could give us at least a body at SF and the #32 is the key of the deal.

Knicks probably say no, but I'd obviously do it.
mhd
General Manager

Post#1948 » by mhd » Thu Jun 3, 2021 10:27 pm

NatP4 wrote:

He has no idea how to play basketball. There’s a reason he doesn’t play. Id much rather give the MLE to Otto. We aren’t trying to build a summer league team, we need someone who plays hard and is also a positive impact defender and does not need the ball in his hands on offense, but can provide spacing.

Reddish deflates the ball every time he touches it, has awful tunnel vision. On defense he is completely lost. No thanks for me.

I don't want Otto back. Dude obviously is very injury prone and can't be counted on for a full season. He'll probably go to the contender (LAL, LAC, GSW) for the BAE.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,972

Post#1949 » by DCZards » Thu Jun 3, 2021 10:44 pm

mhd wrote:

Its weird how he gets no PT, but he is behind Bogs, Huerter, Hunter, and even Snell in the Atlanta rotation. Does Atl give up on him so soon?

Dat was right on him in his pre-draft evaluation, but I'd take a flyer on him. We have a huge hole at big wings.

ATL didn’t give up on Cam. He was injured the last part of the season and during the playoffs. (Sounds like he might be available at some point during the playoffs.)

However, given the surplus of wing players that the Hawks have, Reddish might be available.

Cam played well for the Hawks at times early in the season. He might shine with patience, consistent playing time and the right situation.

Reddish has a ton of potential—and he’s just 21 yrs old.
mhd
General Manager

Post#1950 » by mhd » Thu Jun 3, 2021 11:13 pm

DCZards wrote:
mhd wrote:

ATL didn’t give up on Cam. He was injured the last part of the season and during the playoffs. (Sounds like he might be available at some point during the playoffs.)

However, given the surplus of wing players that the Hawks have, Reddish might be available.

Cam played well for the Hawks at times early in the season. He might shine with patience, consistent playing time and the right situation.

Reddish has a ton of potential—and he’s just 21 yrs old.

I actually think New York would be a good spot for him if Atlanta decides to reset his rookie clock. Reddish for #21 is a solid trade as he'll never get consistent PT behind Hunter, Huerter, and Bogs. He'll always be the 4th wing.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#1951 » by pcbothwel » Thu Jun 3, 2021 11:35 pm

mhd wrote:What about this trade idea:

I know I'm the board's resident Bryant hater, but I just don't see us resigning him after next year. Gafford is the future at center, and you can always find burly backup centers that cost significantly less than Bryant makes.

Knicks might not want to resign Noel (they have Mitchell Robinson as a cheap center for at least one more year). Bryant gives them a stretch big that they take a chance on. Knox didn't even play, but he could give us at least a body at SF and the #32 is the key of the deal.

God no. Bryant is easily worth a pick in the mid 20's. So we get a below market return on the pick AND have to pay a terrible NBA player almost 6M next year?
Hard pass.

Bryant/Gafford is a legit Center rotation next year.
mhd
General Manager

Post#1952 » by mhd » Thu Jun 3, 2021 11:46 pm

pcbothwel wrote:

God no. Bryant is easily worth a pick in the mid 20's. So we get a below market return on the pick AND have to pay a terrible NBA player almost 6M next year?
Hard pass.

Respectfully disagree. Bryant is expiring next year. Are we going to allocate 10+ million to resign a backup center (we all know Gafford is the future starting center)? Gafford should be playing 32 mpg. Why waste 10+ million resigning a player who'll play 16-20 mpg (and who is so bad defensively that he can only play center)? Just sign a cheap vet stopgap like Len to be a backup center and save the money. I'd rather have the #32 pick on a very cheap contract vs Bryant (coming off an ACL and expensive to resign).
prime1time
Analyst

Post#1953 » by prime1time » Fri Jun 4, 2021 12:23 am

Knox is interesting but I'm not giving up Bryant to get him lol. Bryant is actually a good player. Knox hasn't done anything. And #32 isn't nearly enough to equal that out. I don't get the hate for Bryant. As a starter, Byrant has his issues. But a rotation of Bryant and Gafford is actually pretty good. Bryant's ability to space the floor would be beneficial for the second rotation. Knox barely got any playing time in the playoffs. I'm willing to take a flyer on either him or Reddish, but I'm higher on Reddish.
prime1time
Analyst

Post#1954 » by prime1time » Fri Jun 4, 2021 12:28 am

mhd wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:

Hard pass.

Respectfully disagree. Bryant is expiring next year. Are we going to allocate 10+ million to resign a backup center (we all know Gafford is the future starting center)? Gafford should be playing 32 mpg. Why waste 10+ million resigning a player who'll play 16-20 mpg (and who is so bad defensively that he can only play center)? Just sign a cheap vet stopgap like Len to be a backup center and save the money. I'd rather have the #32 pick on a very cheap contract vs Bryant (coming off an ACL and expensive to resign).

I'm fine with keeping Bryant for the season and then letting him walk. Bryant's impact for us next year will be bigger than anything we can get at 32. ACL injury doesn't even play a role for me tbh. Players come back from it all the time. If Bryant gets traded it needs to be part of a larger deal for an actual good player. Not for Knox and 32. Bryant actually has value. Albeit on low percentages, Bryant has shot 40% plus from 3 during his last 2 seasons. After seeing how valuable 3-point shooting is, I'm not giving up Bryant for scraps. Bryant as a role player off the bench presents unique challenges to a defense and a good coach should be able to exploit that.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1955 » by payitforward » Fri Jun 4, 2021 12:41 am

Ruzious wrote:
payitforward wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Or... how aboot #15 and Bertans for 19, 21, and 32? We pick Butler, Duarte, and Petrusev.

Mann, Murphy, and Ayayi?

The Knicks have more than enough cap space.

Sure -- I meant how would we make it work in the trade machine....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1956 » by payitforward » Fri Jun 4, 2021 12:45 am

You think the Knicks say no...? The Knicks jump at the chance to get some value from having picked Knox.

Since Knox has negative value, it appears you think Bryant has less value than a R2 pick. Wrong. Very very very wrong....
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#1957 » by pcbothwel » Fri Jun 4, 2021 2:29 am

I really dont think we should including Bryant in trades. An expiring, mostly unproven big man that just tore his ACL and already had defensive issues. I just dont see how any team would value him more than us next year.

Bryant and Gafford provide us with two productive and dynamic Centers (In different ways) and compliment each other for a grand total of 10M.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#1958 » by Dark Faze » Fri Jun 4, 2021 3:16 am

pcbothwel wrote:I really dont think we should including Bryant in trades. An expiring, mostly unproven big man that just tore his ACL and already had defensive issues. I just dont see how any team would value him more than us next year.

Bryant and Gafford provide us with two productive and dynamic Centers (In different ways) and compliment each other for a grand total of 10M.

Agreed. And as much as I like Gafford, I think he's probably a 25 minute a night guy for us in the post season as a starter. That's mostly because of the spacing issues that come with Westbrook. Against playoff defense Russ/Brad/Rui/Gaff is too easy to guard. All you have to do is clog the paint and chances are we can't shoot our way out of it.

If the Clips implode, I'd like to make a run at Ibaka, maybe 3 years 30 million. Rui/Ibaka/Bryant/Gafford would present a number of lineup options for us and we wouldn't have to waste a vet min on Len.

Bertans was significantly worse this year than he was in 19-20 and I don't care to see if he can live up to the contract. A few guys who out performed him while making 4 million or less: Reggie Bullock, James Ennis, Bobby Portis. I'm not saying we need Tommy to be 100% elite and get 3x+ value for what Bertans was paid, but two solid rotation players would be nice.

Dream off-season for me would be Bertans out, Ibaka, #32, Danny Green in.

Westbrook/Giddey/Neto
Beal/Mathews
Green/Deni
Rui/Ibaka
Gafford/Bryant
DCZards
General Manager

Post#1959 » by DCZards » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:03 am

I don't understand the lack of appreciation for what Bryant contributes to winning. Maybe it's the constant focus on TB's mediocre D that blinds folks to what he does well.

Bryant spaces the floor with his 3pt shooting and always gives max effort. He also runs the floor extremely well. Just look at all the easy buckets Rui got by running the floor and being on the receiving end of Westbrook passes. Expect the same with Bryant.

And TB has actually improved somewhat on defense...because he works hard to get better.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Bryant/Gafford tandem next season. At this point, I'm not sure which one should start.
DCZards
General Manager

Post#1960 » by DCZards » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:04 am

Dub post.

Return to Washington Wizards