ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Kenter16
Junior
And1: 91

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#321 » by Kenter16 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 3:02 pm

Well, it doesn't look like the playoffs are going to be a factor for the OQT. Barrett, Brooks, Clarke, TT are all down 3-1. None of those guys are going on extended runs.

So, here we are. We always hoped that one day we will have a Canadian Team that is forced to cut an NBA player. We are there right now, maybe. There is possibility of guys pulling out of the camp late. But as of right now, somebody who is on an NBA roster or an NBA free agent will be cut. Most likely in the front court.

Guards - CoJo, Dort, NAW, TBH, Mulder
Wings - Barrett, Brooks, Wiggins
Bigs - TT, Birch, Brissett, Olynyk, Powell

Possible NBA cuts - Trey Lyles, Brandon Clarke and Mulder.
I put Mulder on my squad, but if they cut him and kept Ejim or even Andrew Nicholson I wouldn't argue. I guess that is my point, we have an NBA player that if he wasn't on the team it wouldn't surprise anyone.

Even if Olynyk and Cojo don't come, we will still be in a position to cut an NBA big. Simply because if there's no Cojo, you would need to go off the list of invitee's to find his replacement. Scrubb or Kajami-Keane maybe.

This is a bid deal. We have waited for this moment. We will field the deepest team in Canadian history. Unfortunately that still doesn't guarantee us a spot in Toyko.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#322 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 3:09 pm

It seems all the Greek media reports that Giannis and Thanasis were not playing were true. Greece's initial 12 man roster:

PG Kostas Sloukas / Ioannis Athinaiou / Kostas Papadakis
SG Vassilis Spanoulis / Giannoulis Larentzakis / Christos Saloustros
SF Vassilis Charalampopoulos / Nikos Rogkavopoulos
PG Georgios Printezis / Nikos Chougkaz
C Vassilis Kavvadas / Kostas Antetokounmpo

If there is enough time for other players in Europe to be integrated into the team later on, they can be added, but only if the coaches think there is enough time for them to learn the system.

So some of these players could also eventually be added to the team.

Nick Calathes (Barcelona)

Panathinaikos:

Ioannis Papapetrou
Georgios Papagiannis
Dinos Mitoglou
Zach Auguste
Lefteris Bochoridis
Leonidas Kaselakis

AEK Athens:

Nikos Zisis
Linos Chrysikopoulos
Nikos Gkikas
Vlado Jankovic
Dimitris Katsivelis

Promitheas Patras:

Dimitris Agravanis
Charis Giannopoulos
Michalis Lountzis

Lavrio:

Vassilis Mouratos

Although it is said that these players can only be added to the team if there is enough time for them to be added to the team after their club seasons end. For Nick Calathes and the Panathinaikos players, their seasons probably won't end until mid to late June, so it's likely then that they will not be on the team.

Giannis and Thanasis are not being mentioned as options to be added on later to the team, with no mention being made of it mattering if they lose in the second round or not.

So it looks like since so many of Greece's players will still be playing with their club teams well into June, that the national team might lose players.

Greece's head coach Pitino didn't give much info on the team, other than it will use his principles on defense, and that on offense it will be built around Spanoulis.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#323 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 3:16 pm

Olympiacos supposedly might not let their players play, which would mean no Kostas Sloukas, Georgios Printezis, or Giannoulis Larentzakis would be available. Vassilis Spanoulis could still play, because he's a free agent, but there were already earlier reports that Olympiacos might not be willing to re-sign him, if he played. So we don't know for sure yet if the Olympiacos players will actually end up playing.

Although I don't think this would actually happen, because it would cause to much negative talk for the club in the media.

There is another interesting factor. Some of Greece's players have not gotten fully vaccinated yet, and there is a problem with that and the timing of the tournament. For example, apparently Spanoulis will be in recovery from his second shot during the time the tournament happens, as he would get his second shot right before Greece plays Canada. So there is a concern that some players, or at least Spanoulis, won't be available to play because of that.
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,882

Post#324 » by mojo13 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 4:13 pm

Thank for the great insight Mirotic. Still seems like we have a ways to go before we have good clarity on what a Greek rsoter will look like. So they never published a 24(?) man player pool like most other countries?

With AEK and Promitheas knocked out over the weekend, those players are likely being given a couple days to recuperate and then likely join.

Anyone in that group a meaningful add?

AEK Athens players:

Nikos Zisis
Linos Chrysikopoulos
Nikos Gkikas
Vlado Jankovic
Dimitris Katsivelis

Promitheas Patras players:

Dimitris Agravanis
Charis Giannopoulos
Michalis Lountzis

I didn't think of the ACB playoffs having an impact. it is likely why guys like Ennis, Robertson and Morgan are not on the Canada camp list. I was aware the French Pro-A has a long ways to go in its season (both Scrubbs, Keane, Klassen, Best) and we shouldn't expect anyone from France.

But Calathes is a big loss for Greece - that the starting PG of the last few renditions. Dorsey seems like big loss too - what happened with him?
mojo13
Veteran

Post#325 » by mojo13 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 4:42 pm

Kenter16 wrote:Well, it doesn't look like the playoffs are going to be a factor for the OQT. Barrett, Brooks, Clarke, TT are all down 3-1. None of those guys are going on extended runs.

So, here we are. We always hoped that one day we will have a Canadian Team that is forced to cut an NBA player. We are there right now, maybe. There is possibility of guys pulling out of the camp late. But as of right now, somebody who is on an NBA roster or an NBA free agent will be cut. Most likely in the front court.

Possible NBA cuts - Trey Lyles, Brandon Clarke and Mulder.
I put Mulder on my squad, but if they cut him and kept Ejim or even Andrew Nicholson I wouldn't argue. I guess that is my point, we have an NBA player that if he wasn't on the team it wouldn't surprise anyone.

Even if Olynyk and Cojo don't come, we will still be in a position to cut an NBA big. Simply because if there's no Cojo, you would need to go off the list of invitee's to find his replacement. Scrubb or Kajami-Keane maybe.

This is a bid deal. We have waited for this moment. We will field the deepest team in Canadian history. Unfortunately that still doesn't guarantee us a spot in Toyko.

You had 13 by the way - make that final cut!!

I have a little different view of positions and needs - but I understand it is squishy because of so many multirole guys. We need at least 2 true PGs and one that can play PG in a pinch. With the size of the bigger wings (Barrett, Wiggins, Brooks) could all see them playing 2, 3, or 4 at times.

Point Guards - CoJo, NAW, TBH,
Wings: Barrett, Brooks, Wiggins, Dort, Mulder
Perimeter Bigs: Olynyk, Ejim, Brissett
Traditional Bigs - TT, Birch

I'm not liking what I've seen this season from Powell (no outside shot / redundant true big), Clarke (broken shot/ might be injured), and Lyles (hasnt played since ASB) - so they are my NBA cuts.

I need SOME FIBA experience on the is squad and thus I think Ejim has an important role.

My big question right now is what do you guys consider Olynyk? He seemed to have great success in Houston in more of a Centre role. He was ripping apart guys a part in the post - while still being a deadly shoot/drive/pass threat. Is he a centre for Canada with a a guy like Brissett, Wiggins, Nicholson or Ejim in the PF position? That could really open the floor for the guards/wings.

Or do we role with a traditional centre (Birch, TT) next to Olynyk? And Olynyk is that stretch PF?

Knowing what Nurse will do there will change the roster needs/construction. That might bump Mulder for me in favor of another big (Nicholson/Clarke/Lyles).
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,452

Post#326 » by aminiaturebuddha » Tue Jun 1, 2021 5:03 pm

mojo13 wrote:
My big question right now is what do you guys consider Olynyk? He seemed to have great success in Houston in more of a Centre role. He was ripping apart guys a part in the post - while still being a deadly shoot/drive/pass threat. Is he a centre for Canada with a a guy like Brissett, Wiggins, Nicholson or Ejim in the PF position? That could really open the floor for the guards/wings.

Or do we role with a traditional centre (Birch, TT) next to Olynyk? And Olynyk is that stretch PF?

Knowing what Nurse will do there will change the roster needs/construction. That might bump Mulder for me in favor of another big (Nicholson/Clarke/Lyles).

Nick Nurse is a fairly flexible coach, especially handling bigs. He would often shuffle Valanciunas and Ibaka, and then Ibaka and Gasol depending on matchups, so I think where Olynyk plays will largely depend on the competition. If Kelly can at least hold his own defensively against the opposing team's center, I think he'll play a lot of minutes at C. However, if the opposing team has two bigger post-oriented scorers on the court at the same time, Olynyk might see minutes paired with a guy like TT or Birch.

Whatever the case, I expect Nurse will probably play him at C at the end of games in order to try to get the best possible players on the court. You can see he did that a lot with the Raptors, where he would play a smaller frontcourt of Siakam and OG in order to get Lowry, VanVleet, and Powell (and then Trent) on the court to close games. I would expect that he'll do something like that with Team Canada and usually run a closing lineup of something like CoJo, Barrett, Wiggins, Brooks, Olynyk (and trust the strength of Brooks to guard up a position for a few minutes).
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#327 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 6:16 pm

mojo13 wrote:Thank for the great insight Mirotic. Still seems like we have a ways to go before we have good clarity on what a Greek rsoter will look like. So they never published a 24(?) man player pool like most other countries?

With AEK and Promitheas knocked out over the weekend, those players are likely being given a couple days to recuperate and then likely join.

Anyone in that group a meaningful add?

AEK Athens players:

Nikos Zisis
Linos Chrysikopoulos
Nikos Gkikas
Vlado Jankovic
Dimitris Katsivelis

Promitheas Patras players:

Dimitris Agravanis
Charis Giannopoulos
Michalis Lountzis

I didn't think of the ACB playoffs having an impact. it is likely why guys like Ennis, Robertson and Morgan are not on the Canada camp list. I was aware the French Pro-A has a long ways to go in its season (both Scrubbs, Keane, Klassen, Best) and we shouldn't expect anyone from France.

But Calathes is a big loss for Greece - that the starting PG of the last few renditions. Dorsey seems like big loss too - what happened with him?

AEK and Promitheas are still playing. The Greek League has a 3rd place series. So they could be playing well into June also.

Calathes and Dorsey are really only big losses if you don't understand how overrated they are as players.

Calathes has always been one of the most overrated players in Europe. He's one of the worst shooters of any guard that has played in Europe in the last 15-20 years. The only guard (at either guard position) that maybe was a worse shooter than him is Dogus Balbay.

Calathes has 90% of the time led to his club team, or the Greek NT being eliminated, because he can't shoot, and the other team just leaves him open. So his teams play 4 on 5 on offense. And he still regularly bricks wide open shots.

It happened to Panathinaikos for something like 8 straight playoff series, it happened to Greece in every tournament, it happened to Barca. For an NBA perspective, even someone like Rondo is a better shooter than Calathes. He would only be a better shooter than a point guard like Simmons.

So big loss is all relative and how you want to frame it and spin it. Greece lost so many elimination games over the years specifically because he can't shoot.

As far as Dorsey goes, he's a really good shooter and that always helps a team. But other than that, he's just not a very good player. His handle is OK, he can pass a little bit, he can do a bit of play making, but it's all below average for the standard of a rotation guard in EuroLeague. Plus, he's terrible on defense, and he's soft. Giannoulis Larentzakis is definitely a better all around player than Dorsey is.

I don't see Dorsey as being all that needed for Greece actually. If Greece wants a designated 3 point bomber off the bench, they have even better shooters than him they could add.

If Calathes doesn't play it would mean more playing time for Sloukas though, which isn't that good in my mind. Sloukas is a disaster level player on defense. When Zenit played against Olympiacos, in both games, Pangos went crazy in the first half against Sloukas. Spanoulis ended up having to guard Pangos to finish the games because of that. So Pangos being out, at least helps with that.

Basically, it maybe sounds like two big losses for Greece, if you just know the names, but don't really have a good knowledge of the break down of their games. Greece might actually have more potential with a better complete player like Larentzakis, instead of Dorsey, and without Calathes' fatal error of not being able to shoot at the end of close out games.

Barca could be playing into late June, but maybe Calathes would still play though anyway. He has talked about wanting to play at the Olympics a lot, and he hasn't yet. I am sure he would be very tired though, if he did play.

As far as what happened with Dorsey, a day after Pitino said Spanoulis would be on the team, and the offense would be based around him, Dorsey said he was not playing. It might just be a coincidence, but the timing seems strange, since they would probably be used at the same position. That's just me speculating, but it seems odd.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,484

Post#328 » by Hair Canada » Tue Jun 1, 2021 6:45 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:
mojo13 wrote:

Nick Nurse is a fairly flexible coach, especially handling bigs. He would often shuffle Valanciunas and Ibaka, and then Ibaka and Gasol depending on matchups, so I think where Olynyk plays will largely depend on the competition. If Kelly can at least hold his own defensively against the opposing team's center, I think he'll play a lot of minutes at C. However, if the opposing team has two bigger post-oriented scorers on the court at the same time, Olynyk might see minutes paired with a guy like TT or Birch.

Whatever the case, I expect Nurse will probably play him at C at the end of games in order to try to get the best possible players on the court. You can see he did that a lot with the Raptors, where he would play a smaller frontcourt of Siakam and OG in order to get Lowry, VanVleet, and Powell (and then Trent) on the court to close games. I would expect that he'll do something like that with Team Canada and usually run a closing lineup of something like CoJo, Barrett, Wiggins, Brooks, Olynyk (and trust the strength of Brooks to guard up a position for a few minutes).

I completely agree with Buddha -- much of it will depend on defensive schemes. If we get to the Olympics and meet teams like France (Gober), Lithuania (Jonas and Sabonis), or Serbia (Jokic), then Kelly would have a hard time containing them (I mean, anyone would, but I still think TT or Birch have a bit of a better shot). My "death squad" to finish off games would probably be CoJo, Brooks (how awesome has he been lately?), Barrett/Dort, Wiggins, and Olynyk. Certainly, if we're playing the US or Australia. But not if the opposing team has Valanciunas and Sabonis on the court...
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
Kenter16
Junior

Post#329 » by Kenter16 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 7:34 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:
mojo13 wrote:

You have so many options it's insane. Our wing depth will be huge. Let's not forget who the Warriors put on Lebron in the play in game, it was Wiggins! So he can guard any forward that will be thrown his way in this tourney.
I would also find it difficult to leave Dort on the bench in a tight game. His defense is game changing.
I would prefer to play KO at the 4. Get a big bruiser under the basket. I believe its his ball handling and passing that separates him in this group. You want him away from the basket creating. Maybe you have enough of that with Barrett, Wiggins, Brooks, etc. But it's so imperative to get the ball in his hands away from the basket. Of course you could do this with him as a 5, but then you give up a little on the offensive side of the glass where TT shines. But that's just me. I trust Nick Nurse to maximize his abilities.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#330 » by mojo13 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 7:47 pm

How much better does it feel having Nurse and his staff as the ones figuring this all out and not Triano?

Or could you imagine Leo?
Yeezus_
RealGM
And1: 13,741

Post#331 » by Yeezus_ » Tue Jun 1, 2021 7:56 pm

I think Clarke definitely makes the team. He's been really good when he plays minutes and he's a solid defender with some versatility. I know a few mentioned that NBA players might be cut but some of the guys might not end up playing as they look to get another NBA contract secured first.
Yeezy SZN approaching
mojo13
Veteran

Post#332 » by mojo13 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 8:39 pm

Yeezus_ wrote:I think Clarke definitely makes the team. He's been really good when he plays minutes and he's a solid defender with some versatility. I know a few mentioned that NBA players might be cut but some of the guys might not end up playing as they look to get another NBA contract secured first.

I don't know. If any guy here needs to take the summer to focus and work on specific parts of his game, it is Clarke. They really broke his shot this year and he needs to find some way to fix it.

He has also never played a second of FIBA in his life from what I know. I think that matters, especially in this short prep window. I couldn't have even thought this a year ago, but today I think I'd rather have Oshae Brissett. He played FIBA in his youth, had a year under Nurse and his staff with the Raps and had a camp and couple exhibition games with the senior team in 2019. Plus it seems like he can do allot of what Clarke can do, but with what seems like a reliable three point shot.

I loved Clarke last year - but he was a shell of his rookie season this year. I think he still has it in him to recover, but at this moment in time I'm not sure I put him above Nicholson or Ejim even.

You may be right about guys stepping away who still have contract concerns - but I'd hope those guys have already made their decision by accepting this invite.
Kenter16
Junior

Post#333 » by Kenter16 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 9:09 pm

Yeezus_ wrote:I think Clarke definitely makes the team. He's been really good when he plays minutes and he's a solid defender with some versatility. I know a few mentioned that NBA players might be cut but some of the guys might not end up playing as they look to get another NBA contract secured first.

With the way Brissett finished the season, Clarke is behind him in the depth charts.
So it will likely come down to KO being there. If he decides not to play, then Clarke is likely going to make it. If KO is there, I don't think there is room for Clarke.
Snowwy
Junior
And1: 209

Post#334 » by Snowwy » Tue Jun 1, 2021 10:31 pm

Kenter16 wrote:

With the way Brissett finished the season, Clarke is behind him in the depth charts.
So it will likely come down to KO being there. If he decides not to play, then Clarke is likely going to make it. If KO is there, I don't think there is room for Clarke.

I really hope the decision isn't made based off of one game against Toronto when no one cared.
Kenter16
Junior

Post#335 » by Kenter16 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 11:01 pm

Snowwy wrote:
Kenter16 wrote:

I really hope the decision isn't made based off of one game against Toronto when no one cared.
Of course they won't. I mean the 16 games since he cracked the starting lineup. In those games he averaged 13.3 points, 7.1 boards and a TS% of .625. Also shot 42% from 3 on 4.75 attempts per game.

Sent from my SM-G973W using RealGM mobile app
frumble
Bench Warmer
And1: 710

Post#336 » by frumble » Wed Jun 2, 2021 1:41 am

Kenter16 wrote:

mojo13 wrote:
Point Guards - CoJo, NAW, TBH,
Wings: Barrett, Brooks, Wiggins, Dort, Mulder
Perimeter Bigs: Olynyk, Ejim, Brissett
Traditional Bigs - TT, Birch

I think you guys both have 13.

Assuming everyone on the list is there, I would go with:

PGs: Joseph, TBH
SGs: NAW, Dort, Barrett
SFs: Wiggins, Brooks
Perimiter Bigs: Olynyk, Ejim, Brissett
Interior Bigs: Thompson, Birch

As others have noted, a lot of flexibility. I could easily see them taking another guard (Mulder or Nembhard) at the expense of Ejim or Brissett.

Re the bigs, I think Olynyk, TT, and Birch are musts, but I could also see them taking Powell, Nicholson, Clarke, or Lyles at the expense of Ejim and/or Brissett.

I don't see Doornekamp, Alexander or Bennett having much of a shot.

Again, this is all assuming that everyone on the invite list is there (and healthy), which is a big if.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#337 » by mojo13 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 4:35 pm

Sam Vecenie’s Big Board 3.0 just released :
14. Chris Duarte (Sam is a big Duarte guy - highest ranking i've seen out there)
36. Josh Primo (seen many others with him in late first - as high as 22)
84. Marcus Carr
90. Eugene Omoruyi

https://theathletic.com/2627461/
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,499

Post#338 » by OakleyDokely » Thu Jun 3, 2021 5:05 pm

If everyone was healthy, I'd roll with this:

SGA / Joseph / Walker-Alexander
Murray / Dort
Brooks / Barrett / Brissett
Wiggins / Clarke / Powell
Olynyk / Thompson / Birch
TrueNorth31
Senior
And1: 356

Post#339 » by TrueNorth31 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 11:32 pm

Per the BC Premier , it looks like the event is a go, but probably no fans.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7918379/victoria-covid-fiba-basketball-fans/
TrueNorth31
Senior
And1: 356

Post#340 » by TrueNorth31 » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:59 pm

Not much talk about our boys FIBA U19 National Team scheduled to play early in July in Latvia. The French, Yanks and Aussies have all announced their rosters.

I did come across this article about Benny Mathurin though;

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcats/basketball/pascoe/arizonas-bennedict-mathurin-visits-nba-academy-players-in-mexico-city/article_bb3ef790-c4a8-11eb-8131-f305b01c2d7b.html

"Mathurin and Ballo could play against each other again next month in the FIBA U19 World Cup, since Mathurin is expected to play for Canada and Ballo for Mali. Both players are expected to leave soon for their native countries to prepare for the event."

Most players this age want to use this event as a springboard to being drafted and look for assurances from the coaching staff that they will be a featured player in the program. Certainly Mathurin would be pretty good at this level. So would Josh Primo, but he is unfortunately making the NBA rounds. Ryan Nembhard seems to have committed and hopefully his Monteverde teammate Caleb Houstan a potential lottery pick in the next 2 drafts will be there as well.

Return to Toronto Raptors