ImageImageImageImageImage

2021 Draft Thread

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

mos_def
Sixth Man
And1: 277

Re: 2021 Draft Thread 

Post#201 » by mos_def » Thu Jun 3, 2021 4:32 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:Speaking of Keon Johnson, what are your thoughts on him?

Barely anything is written about him in this board.

Many sites comp him to Sprewell. His stats more put him in the DeRozan range. (I never knew how bad DeRozan was shooting from range with his limited attempts) That being all good and all, but his stats and weakness for his position is that he cannot shoot. I personally dont like drafting Guards with no shot. Its like drafting a QB who cant throw or a WR who cant catch. Also, Sprewell was drafted in the late 1st round and not in the lottery. He is athletic but he isnt going to develop his shot within the Curry window.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,363

Post#202 » by GSWFan1994 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 4:42 pm

mos_def wrote:

Many sites comp him to Sprewell. His stats more put him in the DeRozan range. (I never knew how bad DeRozan was shooting from range with his limited attempts) That being all good and all, but his stats and weakness for his position is that he cannot shoot. I personally dont like drafting Guards with no shot. Its like drafting a QB who cant throw or a WR who cant catch. Also, Sprewell was drafted in the late 1st round and not in the lottery. He is athletic but he isnt going to develop his shot within the Curry window.

Is his shot THAT bad, though?
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#203 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 5:45 pm

ChuckDurn wrote:
azwfan wrote:If we end up at 6/7 Im liking Moody right now slighly over Barnes.

At 14 I’m hoping Wagner will still be there. Im thinking someone considered for top 10 could slip. If no Wagner, hoping to trade out of that pick for a future 1st and a cheap (but useful) vet. Would add in Mulder and Paschall for salary matching purposes.

I think this draft is among the most "wide open" for picks up to #20 than we've seen in quite a while. I think there are 7 pretty "sure-fire" locks to go in the top-10: Cade, Mobley, Suggs, Green, Kuminga, Barnes, and Keon Johnson. (Not that I'm particularly sold on Johnson, but he seems to have a lot of traction and people are buying into his upside.)

Beyond that, there's a pretty healthy list of guys who could end up in the top-10, including Moody, Kispert, Jalen Johnson, Springer, Sengun, Giddey, Mitchell, Wagner, Sengun, Bouknight...... we're already up to 17 total guys, and I don't have much of a feel of how these last 10 guys fit into tiers at this point. (And there's a couple of other guys - Garuba, Ziaire Williams, Kai Jones - who haven't been mocked in the top-10 much, but consistently are in the top-20.)

The net, in my mind, is that I don't know if there's going to be a "this guy slipped out of the top-10, so we should take him if he's there at 14" situation, because I think they're all pretty close, and it will come down to specific team needs and plans.

Just my take.

Re: Barnes vs. Moody - right now, I think Barnes has more sex appeal to teams, where Moody is more predictable (high floor, but probably lower ceiling). If they're both on the board when our pick comes up, I might see if I could do a very slight trade-down (1-2 spots) to somebody who wants Barnes, with the hope of ending up with Moody and a small asset as well. I think Moody fits our need more, though Barnes has more star potential. But that could all change with the combine and other things over the next several weeks.

Pretty much matches my thinking. The top 4 are pretty clearly at a different level, but after that there is a TON of talent and it's really hard to guess where they will fall.

Moody's defense is better than most reports seem to show, but Barnes team game is special while his scoring is worse than most reports show. If it's potential it's Barnes all day, if it's floor it's Moody.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#204 » by ChuckDurn » Thu Jun 3, 2021 8:30 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
mos_def wrote:If we got 1 and 4 I wouldn't argue against trading Wiseman

I would trade 1, 4, Wiseman + Wiggins for the right player.

Who’s that right player?

For that package, I better be getting back one of Jokic, Doncic, or Giannis..... or 2 “random” All-Stars.....
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,134

Post#205 » by cpower » Thu Jun 3, 2021 8:37 pm

ChuckDurn wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

Who’s that right player?

For that package, I better be getting back one of Jokic, Doncic, or Giannis..... or 2 “random” All-Stars.....

PG, Butler would do just fine.
Chupchup
Junior
And1: 96

Post#206 » by Chupchup » Thu Jun 3, 2021 8:39 pm

I just hope we land Minny's pick for sure. Then we can figure things out.

Would love to trade up to get Cade.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,835

Post#207 » by whatisacenter » Thu Jun 3, 2021 9:11 pm

ChuckDurn wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

Who’s that right player?

In addition to the names you mentioned I would add Embiid, Simmons, Kawhi, and PG13. Some of these trades would require said star to request/demand a trade to the warriors.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#208 » by ChuckDurn » Thu Jun 3, 2021 10:14 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
ChuckDurn wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

Who’s that right player?

In addition to the names you mentioned I would add Embiid, Simmons, Kawhi, and PG13. Some of these trades would require said star to request/demand a trade to the warriors.

Embiid - maybe. On talent, I’d agree, but his inability to remain healthy scares the crap out of me.
Simmons - this is an overpay. I like him, think he’s under-rated, but I’d only give up one of the picks along with Wiggins and Wiseman, not both.
Kawhi - yeah, I’d probably add him, and that’s probably what it would take to trade for him. But I’m pretty sure he wants to stay in SoCal and doesn’t want to go anywhere else.
PG13 - very similar to Simmons. It’s just an overpay, I wouldn’t deal both picks plus Wiggins/Wiseman.

Any of these deals leaves us with 4 awesome starters, but either a complete void at SF or with Looney as the starting center (if we trade for a non-center). Aside from Poole and JTA, we’d have no real bench, and the only tools to grab a starting-level SF or C would be the TP MLE and minimum contracts.

Just not a big fan of 4-for-1 trades for a team that already had too many 10th-12th men playing major minutes last year.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
whatisacenter
RealGM

Post#209 » by whatisacenter » Thu Jun 3, 2021 10:40 pm

ChuckDurn wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
ChuckDurn wrote:Who’s that right player?

Embiid - maybe. On talent, I’d agree, but his inability to remain healthy scares the crap out of me.
Simmons - this is an overpay. I like him, think he’s under-rated, but I’d only give up one of the picks along with Wiggins and Wiseman, not both.
Kawhi - yeah, I’d probably add him, and that’s probably what it would take to trade for him. But I’m pretty sure he wants to stay in SoCal and doesn’t want to go anywhere else.
PG13 - very similar to Simmons. It’s just an overpay, I wouldn’t deal both picks plus Wiggins/Wiseman.

Any of these deals leaves us with 4 awesome starters, but either a complete void at SF or with Looney as the starting center (if we trade for a non-center). Aside from Poole and JTA, we’d have no real bench, and the only tools to grab a starting-level SF or C would be the TP MLE and minimum contracts.

Just not a big fan of 4-for-1 trades for a team that already had too many 10th-12th men playing major minutes last year.

I hear you and any of these deals would make them super top heavy like they were with KD but I think a few of those names would put the Warriors in the title hunt.

Edit: they are already top heavy with the cap and it would limit their ability to have young talent under contract control.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,743

Post#210 » by azwfan » Thu Jun 3, 2021 11:49 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
ChuckDurn wrote:
azwfan wrote:If we end up at 6/7 Im liking Moody right now slighly over Barnes.

At 14 I’m hoping Wagner will still be there. Im thinking someone considered for top 10 could slip. If no Wagner, hoping to trade out of that pick for a future 1st and a cheap (but useful) vet. Would add in Mulder and Paschall for salary matching purposes.

I think this draft is among the most "wide open" for picks up to #20 than we've seen in quite a while. I think there are 7 pretty "sure-fire" locks to go in the top-10: Cade, Mobley, Suggs, Green, Kuminga, Barnes, and Keon Johnson. (Not that I'm particularly sold on Johnson, but he seems to have a lot of traction and people are buying into his upside.)

Beyond that, there's a pretty healthy list of guys who could end up in the top-10, including Moody, Kispert, Jalen Johnson, Springer, Sengun, Giddey, Mitchell, Wagner, Sengun, Bouknight...... we're already up to 17 total guys, and I don't have much of a feel of how these last 10 guys fit into tiers at this point. (And there's a couple of other guys - Garuba, Ziaire Williams, Kai Jones - who haven't been mocked in the top-10 much, but consistently are in the top-20.)

The net, in my mind, is that I don't know if there's going to be a "this guy slipped out of the top-10, so we should take him if he's there at 14" situation, because I think they're all pretty close, and it will come down to specific team needs and plans.

Just my take.

Re: Barnes vs. Moody - right now, I think Barnes has more sex appeal to teams, where Moody is more predictable (high floor, but probably lower ceiling). If they're both on the board when our pick comes up, I might see if I could do a very slight trade-down (1-2 spots) to somebody who wants Barnes, with the hope of ending up with Moody and a small asset as well. I think Moody fits our need more, though Barnes has more star potential. But that could all change with the combine and other things over the next several weeks.

Pretty much matches my thinking. The top 4 are pretty clearly at a different level, but after that there is a TON of talent and it's really hard to guess where they will fall.

Moody's defense is better than most reports seem to show, but Barnes team game is special while his scoring is worse than most reports show. If it's potential it's Barnes all day, if it's floor it's Moody.

Not sure how other teams view players, but I have Wagner as a top 10 pick for the Warriors. High level defender, size, can shoot and pass. I have him slightly next behind Barnes.

Keon Johnson looks like an elite athlete and who knows as a basketball player. I havent dug in on him yet (im pacing myself this year), but Im not super intrigued with him especially in our position.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
mos_def
Sixth Man

Post#211 » by mos_def » Fri Jun 4, 2021 11:56 am

GSWFan1994 wrote:
mos_def wrote:

Is his shot THAT bad, though?

I dont think so but it just didn't go in at a low rate. I'm no shot guru tho. When one shoots in the 20% from 3 then people begin to wonder.. he is very athletic. I like him as a player but by % then you can get a better pg with % and a sg with % by many mocks.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,237

Post#212 » by Onus » Fri Jun 4, 2021 5:12 pm

I really want trey Murphy. 6’9” elite shooter, long arms, decent defender. There might be players with higher upside than him at 14 but I know he’ll be a player you can play in the playoffs/finals.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
mos_def
Sixth Man

Post#213 » by mos_def » Fri Jun 4, 2021 7:43 pm

Onus wrote:I really want trey Murphy. 6’9” elite shooter, long arms, decent defender. There might be players with higher upside than him at 14 but I know he’ll be a player you can play in the playoffs/finals.

Didn't you say there were 20 players at 14 better than Isaiah Jackson? Is Murphy one of them? seems like a reach at 14 were he is on big boards..
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,237

Post#214 » by Onus » Fri Jun 4, 2021 7:59 pm

mos_def wrote:
Onus wrote:I really want trey Murphy. 6’9” elite shooter, long arms, decent defender. There might be players with higher upside than him at 14 but I know he’ll be a player you can play in the playoffs/finals.

Didn't you say there were 20 players at 14 better than Isaiah Jackson? Is Murphy one of them? seems like a reach at 14 were he is on big boards..

I don't recall saying 20 players better than Isaiah Jackson.

Murphy would definitely be a reach at 14. I fully admit that. I'm not sure where I have Murphy at yet but I just know I want him. Curry/Klay/Murphy good luck trying to stop Steph with Klay or Murphy stripping open 3s. And then he'll be a solid defender at 6'9'' and a 7'1'' ws. I have him over Corey Kispert that's for sure.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,816

Post#215 » by cdubbz » Sun Jun 6, 2021 2:33 am

Reuniting Zaire Williams & BJ Boston would be fun for a project. Both extremely raw, long 6’7, 6’8 wings with game. Both players bodies need to be filled out but I loved their HS game and they did decent as freshman.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
whatisacenter
RealGM

Post#216 » by whatisacenter » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:37 am

cdubbz wrote:Reuniting Zaire Williams & BJ Boston would be fun for a project. Both extremely raw, long 6’7, 6’8 wings with game. Both players bodies need to be filled out but I loved their HS game and they did decent as freshman.

I was high on both going into their Freshman years, and there is no doubt about their upside, but they both left a lot to be desired. I have BJ much higher than most mocks.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,816

Post#217 » by cdubbz » Sun Jun 6, 2021 2:50 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
cdubbz wrote:Reuniting Zaire Williams & BJ Boston would be fun for a project. Both extremely raw, long 6’7, 6’8 wings with game. Both players bodies need to be filled out but I loved their HS game and they did decent as freshman.

I was high on both going into their Freshman years, and there is no doubt about their upside, but they both left a lot to be desired. I have BJ much higher than most mocks.

for sure project picks for some team.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
MastermindLV
Senior
And1: 822

Post#218 » by MastermindLV » Sun Jun 6, 2021 7:47 pm

If we get the 6th pick I’d take Moody. We need shooters
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#219 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 10:49 pm

MastermindLV wrote:If we get the 6th pick I’d take Moody. We need shooters

The Warriors need scorers more than shooters. They have shooters, the problem is Curry is the only player who can regularly create offense, with Wiggins, Poole, and Green showing occasional ability to create for themselves or others.

Moody can shoot and can somewhat defend ... I just don't think he's special.
Sam Lowry Jr
Bench Warmer
And1: 281

Post#220 » by Sam Lowry Jr » Mon Jun 7, 2021 12:02 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
MastermindLV wrote:If we get the 6th pick I’d take Moody. We need shooters

The Warriors need scorers more than shooters. They have shooters, the problem is Curry is the only player who can regularly create offense, with Wiggins, Poole, and Green showing occasional ability to create for themselves or others.

Moody can shoot and can somewhat defend ... I just don't think he's special.

Do we really have that many shooters on our team? We were 9th in 3 point percentage and that's with Curry shooting a bulk of the threes. Teams like Utah, Bucks, Brooklyn, Clippers, and Blazers were all better than us. Granted, Klay would help when he comes back, but I think we need another 3 point shooter to keep with the field and open the lanes for Wiseman and Wiggins. Mulder, Lee and Wiggins all shot pretty well based on numbers, but they missed a lot in the clutch as well. Their numbers were also helped because of Steph's gravity. Imagine getting another shooter who is actually a good shooter WITH Steph and Klay's gravity.

Also, I think we need another ball handler who can shoot, but not necessarily a scorer. I think that's a distinction that needs to be made in Kerr's system. A ball dominant scorer won't work quite well in Kerr's system, whereas a ball handler who is an efficient scorer would do wonders.

Return to Golden State Warriors