RealGM
And1: 17,187

Re: ROUND 1, GAME 5: Mavericks @ Clippers 7:00PM 6/2/2021 

Post#381 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Jun 4, 2021 1:38 am

mttwlsn16 wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:
Kelphus wrote:
Seriously?

What exactly does getting swept by the Jazz do for this team, other than maybe delay the tough choices that this franchise inevitably has to make for another year?
I personally think we'd have a much easier time w Utah than Dallas.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Can't say I agree with you there. Mitchell isn't on Luka's level, but Utah's overall roster is so much better than the bums that Dallas has put around Luka. Snyder, like Carlisle, is a vastly better coach than Lue.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,223

Post#382 » by Clemenza » Fri Jun 4, 2021 1:56 am

RingColluder wrote:
mttwlsn16 wrote:
RingColluder wrote:The bottom line this game was razor thin close until the Paul George 4th foul and the momentum entirely changed.

Then we came back and again they took advantage when he and Kawhi had their turnovers.

Mavs took advantage of our mistakes despite limited talent but better coaching .

The fact that we had awful Reggie SAVE US in the 3rd quarter with his play and we STILL struggled is a horrible sign. Porzingis and Hardaway had bad games and still they won.

We're getting crushed on Friday. Season is over and the sham dynasty is done.
Had Kawhi not been absolutely useless the game wouldn't have come down to the very end. No idea how you can put that loss entirely on PG. Don't be that guy.

Absolutely useless = 7-19 for 20 points?. I can point to what useless REALLY IS from previous games and players but that'd be going off topic if you want to go there.

And if Kawhi wasn't dragging this team on his back this entire series we'd have gotten swept. We went over the two MAJOR issues in this game, no need to rehash it but Ty Lue and the Clippers broadcast knows what they are talking about too.

You can't move goalposts like that. If a different/certain player had that stat line you'd go on a ballistic rage filled rant about it. Stay consistent
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#383 » by Clemenza » Fri Jun 4, 2021 2:01 am

MartinToVaught wrote:
mttwlsn16 wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:What exactly does getting swept by the Jazz do for this team, other than maybe delay the tough choices that this franchise inevitably has to make for another year?
I personally think we'd have a much easier time w Utah than Dallas.

Can't say I agree with you there. Mitchell isn't on Luka's level, but Utah's overall roster is so much better than the bums that Dallas has put around Luka. Snyder, like Carlisle, is a vastly better coach than Lue.

Better players overall yes but I feel that we can match up with them and come up with a good game plan. Luka, on the other hand, has just been too much to handle in this series. He's pretty much controlling the entire game from start to finish. Mitchell is an all star but hell even Pat Bev would have more luck against him than Dallas. We're not going to face a more dangerous player than Luka if we get past them.
Kelphus
Senior
And1: 533

Post#384 » by Kelphus » Fri Jun 4, 2021 2:30 am

MartinToVaught wrote:
Kelphus wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:At this point, I'd rather just lose this series. That at least might force some actual major changes, such as firing the entire front office. We clearly didn't change enough from last season.

Seriously?

What exactly does getting swept by the Jazz do for this team, other than maybe delay the tough choices that this franchise inevitably has to make for another year?

I don't think this team would be swept, and that they would have a good chance against the Jazz.

I can't understand why you would ASSUME future losses before the series even happens. I mean, why bother to be a fan if you actually hope and expect for losses?

I have seen teams come back from 2-3, and until they pry the basketball out of our cold dead fingers I root for the Clips tomorrow night and Sunday! Period !
The Clipper fan understands the Book of Exodus better than anyone... what it's like to struggle 40 years in the wilderness... and Genesis.. why Cain went after Abel... So fLakers, look out... we're coming.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect
And1: 240

Post#385 » by RingColluder » Fri Jun 4, 2021 2:44 am

mttwlsn16 wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
og15 wrote:Yea, no issue with you concluding that, but the team played tough, they came back, they took the lead, so of course I can't go back and say it was huge, but that's fine.

The Clippers had a plan of attack, the Mavs went with Twin Towers + zone, and the plan was to double (soft double until they get deep in the lane) Kawhi or George if they drive. Watch the beginning of the game, that was their defense. PG and Kawhi made good plays passing to open guys, Clippers started off a bit cold from 3PT range. They made the right plays. We see what happened when they tried to force the action going downhill, they had turnovers.

Kawhi early saw what Dallas was doing and tried to pull up a bit earlier and take the mid-range instead of trying to get to the basket, he missed his first one. If you watch the play, and pause as he gets into the arc, Boban zones up, Hardaway leaves PG to close to driving lane, and Boban contests. Dallas wanted to bait the Clippers to take the three's instead of driving. It did work, with the closed lanes and the turnover when trying to force the action, the Clippers were more inclined to say "we're wide open from three, these are good shots".

I rarely if ever saw them doubling or cornering PG, I saw that nearly every play on Kawhi unless he took a quick 3 to prevent it before it happened.

Having Boban and Porzingis was very smart, it was clear everyone was hesitant to drive to the rim early on. That's why it's very concerning Reggie had a terrific game shooting open 3's and still we struggled. The defense is our biggest issue. We need another big to neutralize Boban and Lue refuses to play Demarcus.
The defense definitely hasn't been the biggest issue. Defense against Luka particularly has been bad, but not like we've given up a boatload of points every game.

Our offense as a whole has been bad and our historic 3pt shooting from the regular season has gone missing.

Disagree the amount of open shots we've been giving them is the reason they've been so good from 3 despite being so poor from 3 during the RS. Not even talking about Luka.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#386 » by RingColluder » Fri Jun 4, 2021 2:45 am

Clemenza wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
mttwlsn16 wrote:Had Kawhi not been absolutely useless the game wouldn't have come down to the very end. No idea how you can put that loss entirely on PG. Don't be that guy.

Absolutely useless = 7-19 for 20 points?. I can point to what useless REALLY IS from previous games and players but that'd be going off topic if you want to go there.

And if Kawhi wasn't dragging this team on his back this entire series we'd have gotten swept. We went over the two MAJOR issues in this game, no need to rehash it but Ty Lue and the Clippers broadcast knows what they are talking about too.

You can't move goalposts like that. If a different/certain player had that stat line you'd go on a ballistic rage filled rant about it. Stay consistent

Another player has had stats like that consistently in the RS and I never called it "absolutely useless". Especially considering the large stretch of that came during the 3rd quarter as discussed before. That's not on Kawhi whatsoever.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#387 » by RingColluder » Fri Jun 4, 2021 2:48 am

Kelphus wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:
Kelphus wrote:
Seriously?

I don't think this team would be swept, and that they would have a good chance against the Jazz.

I can't understand why you would ASSUME future losses before the series even happens. I mean, why bother to be a fan if you actually hope and expect for losses?

I have seen teams come back from 2-3, and until they pry the basketball out of our cold dead fingers I root for the Clips tomorrow night and Sunday! Period !

You can root for them but don't get your hopes up. This is a team with an awful fit from their 2 max stars together, awful management who constructed a poorly thought out roster , awful coaching who did nothing to prepare them for the playoffs (TMann, driving to paint) and of course the notorious choke artist.

I root for the long term success of this team, and this roster ain't it. I'd feel a Lot more optimistic had we had all those 1st round picks and be confident Kawhi was with us long term to go with TMann and... jeez that's it. :noway: :noway: :noway:
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#388 » by Clemenza » Fri Jun 4, 2021 2:55 am

RingColluder wrote:
Clemenza wrote:
RingColluder wrote:

Another player has had stats like that consistently in the RS and I never called it "absolutely useless". Especially considering the large stretch of that came during the 3rd quarter as discussed before. That's not on Kawhi whatsoever.

"Absolutely worthless" is tame compared to the stuff you've said about a stat line like that which you've clearly established throughout the season as being absolutely horrific. But I digress. Its been a lot of goalpost moving/director re-cuts like a film just to be in the right
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#389 » by RingColluder » Fri Jun 4, 2021 2:59 am

Clemenza wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
Clemenza wrote:You can't move goalposts like that. If a different/certain player had that stat line you'd go on a ballistic rage filled rant about it. Stay consistent

"Absolutely worthless" is tame compared to the stuff you've said about a stat line like that which you've clearly established throughout the season as being absolutely horrific. But I digress. Its been a lot of goalpost moving/director re-cuts like a film just to be in the right

Bc when someone does the same thing over and over to the detriment of team success it goes further than a stat line. It's an ego issue.

There are no goalposts being moved whatsoever on my part, but lets' get back to the Mavs game 6/ game 5.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#390 » by TucsonClip » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:32 am

I'm sorry, but you can't let the Mavs defense lock down any version of the offense we put out there. If that's the case, you change things up immediately.

Same applies with your coverages on Luka. I get you can't run the same coverage all game, but why do we need to wait until late in each game to go to a flexible, switch everything lineup? Why not sprinkle that throughout the game? Why are we still switching coverages on the fly?

EXECUTE
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#391 » by Clemenza » Fri Jun 4, 2021 5:29 am

Lakers gone fishing. LA is wide open basketball wise. Do we take advantage or fold? Billion dollar question right here

Return to Los Angeles Clippers