ImageImageImageImage

Dubs 14th pick

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

radtech
Senior
And1: 46

Dubs 14th pick 

Post#1 » by radtech » Fri Jun 4, 2021 8:38 am

Would you trade Wendell Carter for the Dubs 14th pick in 2021 draft?

I have the Dubs trading Wiseman and Eric Paschall to the Pistons for Plumlee, Bey, and a future pick. Thus the need for another center.

It gives the Magic, three picks in the lottery, and excelerates the rebuilding process.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,787

Re: Dubs 14th pick 

Post#2 » by RookieStar » Fri Jun 4, 2021 8:57 am

Yeah why not. A lot of guys here want to give Bamba one last chance to shine and some are advocating to draft Sengun.
.So win-win Bamba gets major minutes while Sengun at that draft spot is developed.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,366

Post#3 » by Bensational » Fri Jun 4, 2021 9:32 am

Absolutely.

WCJ is a very solid player, but I’m not married to him in any way. I think there’s bound to be some talent at 14 who will be able to give the Magic more impact in the long run.

But also, having the extra draft asset would give us a lot more flexibility to keep moving around the draft with either consolidation trades or trades for future picks.

We could come away with:

3 - Green/Suggs/Mobley
8 + 14 - Giddey/Sengun/Moody/Barnes

or trade down for Dosunmu/Mann/Garuba
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#4 » by drsd » Fri Jun 4, 2021 9:54 am

radtech wrote:Would you trade Wendell Carter for the Dubs 14th pick in 2021 draft?

I have the Dubs trading Wiseman and Eric Paschall to the Pistons for Plumlee, Bey, and a future pick. Thus the need for another center.

It gives the Magic, three picks in the lottery, and excelerates the rebuilding process.

Orlando has two back-up Cs on their current rotation. Both are clearly tradeable. Bamba still has more upside, so for me the question is if #14 is enough value for Carter. I would think it needs a more involved trade.

Carter, the Nuggets FRP, the 2023 Bulls FRP for Wiseman makes more sense for Orlando.

RookieStar
RealGM

Post#5 » by RookieStar » Fri Jun 4, 2021 10:33 am

drsd wrote:
radtech wrote:Would you trade Wendell Carter for the Dubs 14th pick in 2021 draft?

Orlando has two back-up Cs on their current rotation. Both are clearly tradeable. Bamba still has more upside, so for me the question is if #14 is enough value for Carter. I would think it needs a more involved trade.

Carter, the Nuggets FRP, the 2023 Bulls FRP for Wiseman makes more sense for Orlando.

The reason they want wCJ is because they already traded Wiseman.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,140

Post#6 » by zaymon » Fri Jun 4, 2021 10:42 am

I would not do it. It doesnt accelerate our rebuild, it slows it down by few years. Carter at least knows how to play in the nba, by trading him for late lottery pick we are making life harder for every other player.
Our coach likes Carter, he seems like prototipical modern role player center. He is strong, smart, can move his feet. Clifford showed already what he can do with smart big man. We have too many young players, trading for another rookie with lower ceiling seems like a very very bad idea. Whats really the upside ? drafting superstar we missed with our 1-2 previous picks ?
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#7 » by RookieStar » Fri Jun 4, 2021 10:58 am

zaymon wrote:I would not do it. It doesnt accelerate our rebuild, it slows it down by few years. Carter at least knows how to play in the nba, by trading him for late lottery pick we are making life harder for every other player.
Our coach likes Carter, he seems like prototipical modern role player center. He is strong, smart, can move his feet. Clifford showed already what he can do with smart big man. We have too many young players, trading for another rookie with lower ceiling seems like a very very bad idea. Whats really the upside ? drafting superstar we missed with our 1-2 previous picks ?

I agree with having too many rookies would be a very bad idea.However i dont agree with the point of trading for a rookie with low ceiling. If we have the 14th pick, we draft a player with a high ceiling.

the upside is we open up pkaying time for Bamba to see if we extend or trade him? Also drafting a big with a high upside to take over in case Bamba is not in the future plans
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,366

Post#8 » by Bensational » Fri Jun 4, 2021 11:40 am

zaymon wrote:I would not do it. It doesnt accelerate our rebuild, it slows it down by few years. Carter at least knows how to play in the nba, by trading him for late lottery pick we are making life harder for every other player.

I think we can find another smart player with that extra pick, but they will be younger (not that it matters all that much). We just need to add smart, skilled, dedicated players. Imagine:

Green + Giddy + Sengun, or Suggs + Sengun + Moody, etc.

Either of those 3-man units would come in with a competitive baseline from day one I think. Add Isaac and Ross/Harris/Cole/Hampton/Trade as veterans and things could click surprisingly quickly.

Plus, we’d get 4 years of RSC + extensions, so better potential value than WCJ who’ll be a RFA at the end of the season.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,659

Post#9 » by orlando_joe » Fri Jun 4, 2021 12:24 pm

magic should do that all day..not sure gs would
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,140

Post#10 » by zaymon » Fri Jun 4, 2021 12:48 pm

Bensational wrote:

I think we can find another smart player with that extra pick, but they will be younger (not that it matters all that much). We just need to add smart, skilled, dedicated players. Imagine:

Green + Giddy + Sengun, or Suggs + Sengun + Moody, etc.

Either of those 3-man units would come in with a competitive baseline from day one I think. Add Isaac and Ross/Harris/Cole/Hampton/Trade as veterans and things could click surprisingly quickly.

Plus, we’d get 4 years of RSC + extensions, so better potential value than WCJ who’ll be a RFA at the end of the season.

I suppose there is a limit to young players you can develop effectively at the same time. From coaching, chemistry and performing on the court aspect. Next year we will have Anthony, Okeke, Hampton after first offseason. Isaac and Fultz coming from major injuries. 1-3 rookies of our own. Bamba and Carter are the only young players with some experience not coming from injury. As we know Bamba doesnt look like starting center, he cant orchestrate his own game let alone our defense. Carter showed already he is more about the team than his own stats and that he could handle starting job. We will be very lucky to draft such player at 14 so whats the upside ?
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
drsd
RealGM

Post#11 » by drsd » Fri Jun 4, 2021 1:17 pm

RookieStar wrote:The reason they want wCJ is because they already traded Wiseman.

I was not aware Wiseman had been traded from San Fransisco. Or do you mean this in "there is a rumor" sense?

WWHat I have read says he is not on the market, but that the Warriors would consider him in a trade for a splashy veteran (i.e. Orlando would not be an appropriate trade partner). I would think a Jimmy Butler type is more in the range of what Golden State desires.

RookieStar
RealGM

Post#12 » by RookieStar » Fri Jun 4, 2021 1:21 pm

drsd wrote:
RookieStar wrote:The reason they want wCJ is because they already traded Wiseman.

I was not aware Wiseman had been traded from San Fransisco. Or do you mean this in "there is a rumor" sense?

WWHat I have read says he is not on the market, but that the Warriors would consider him in a trade for a splashy veteran (i.e. Orlando would not be an appropriate trade partner). I would think a Jimmy Butler type is more in the range of what Golden State desires.

uhhhh??? Did you read what the OP posted? In his hypothetical scenario he asked if we were opek to trade WCJ becuse he traded Wiseman already to the Pistons.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#13 » by The Effect » Fri Jun 4, 2021 2:55 pm

If we end up with mobley with our pick, of course I make this trade

Mobley, jalen Johnson and johnny Juzang..... Sign me up
drsd
RealGM

Post#14 » by drsd » Fri Jun 4, 2021 2:56 pm

RookieStar wrote:uhhhh??? Did you read what the OP posted? In his hypothetical scenario he asked if we were opek to trade WCJ becuse he traded Wiseman already to the Pistons.

I read, "Would you trade Wendell Carter for the Dubs 14th pick in 2021 draft?" as a stand alone question. If it is a dependent question, on a Pistons trade, well perhaps a trade of Carter for Kevon Looney and the Warriors #14 makes sense. I would think it depends on how Minnesota does in the lottery.

If Orlando could then package the Bulls and Warriors picks to move up to gain Moodey's rights, then this would start making a great deal of sense for Orlando.

j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#15 » by j-ragg » Fri Jun 4, 2021 6:31 pm

I like lotto picks as much as the next guy but how many rookie contracts on one active roster is too many?
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,151

Post#16 » by Knightro » Fri Jun 4, 2021 6:56 pm

I would do this, yes.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#17 » by Xatticus » Fri Jun 4, 2021 7:17 pm

j-ragg wrote:I like lotto picks as much as the next guy but how many rookie contracts on one active roster is too many?

I mean... they are among the only bargain deals you are going to get. I'd much rather have youngsters on rookie-scale deals than ineffectual and overpaid vets that are leading you nowhere. You have to be cautious with those second contracts though as so many players get overpaid on those.

I see it as irons in the fire. I'd rather use roster spots trying to unearth someone that might be part of your core at some point as opposed to reaching some balance or appeasing a coach that has his own motives for roster decisions.

As to the question at hand, I would only do the deal if could get Sengun with an earlier pick. I don't otherwise see the point in moving on from WCJ at this point unless his contract demands are unreasonable.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,151

Post#18 » by Knightro » Fri Jun 4, 2021 10:36 pm

Xatticus wrote:As to the question at hand, I would only do the deal if could get Sengun with an earlier pick. I don't otherwise see the point in moving on from WCJ at this point unless his contract demands are unreasonable.

This pretty much what I was thinking.

3. Suggs
8. Sengun
14. Springer

Profit.
drsd
RealGM

Post#19 » by drsd » Sat Jun 5, 2021 8:26 am

Knightro wrote:
Xatticus wrote:As to the question at hand, I would only do the deal if could get Sengun with an earlier pick. I don't otherwise see the point in moving on from WCJ at this point unless his contract demands are unreasonable.

This pretty much what I was thinking.

3. Suggs
8. Sengun
14. Springer

Profit.

Before you cash in on your "profit", recall Orlando also has a high SRP (i.e. a player very likely to make the team). Given that you selected a PG, a C, and a SG, Orlando could go with need here - that would probably be a player like Jeremiah Robinson-Earl.

The 15th slot would need to be a 3rd-stringer combo-big.

Orlando becomes (after Fultz returns):

Fultz/Anthony/Suggs
Harris/Hampton/Springer/Bacon
Isaac/Ross/Carter-Williams
Okeke/Robinson-Earl
Bamba/Şengün/LLE-vet

So this is were RealGMers go crazy. Orlando has four rookies and none of them start. Indeed three of the rookies would open as 3rd stringers. I illustrate this to accept why Orlando will not carry 4 rookies in the current roster.

What makes much more sense is for Orlando to consolidate assets. For example, perhaps Washington would consider Harris, Anthony, the #14 from the Nuggets, the 2023 Bulls FRP, and the Nuggets 2025 FRP for Beal.

Here the Magic carry "only" 3-rookies, and has a much better and more balanced roster. This is a marginal 2021/22 playoff team with great prospects in future seasons:
Fultz/Suggs/Carter-Williams
Beal/Hampton/Bacon
Isaac/Ross/LLE-vet
Okeke/Robinson-Earl/LLE-vet
Bamba/Şengün/LLE-vet

Beal could go for a super-max resign on that roster, I would think.

p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,970

Post#20 » by p0peye » Sat Jun 5, 2021 1:40 pm

I might be one of the few who wouldn't do that deal. What level of talent do you guys expect of 14th pick? If we do good, Cole level player. Would I swap WCJ for Cole? Shrug. Do we need another rookie? No, not really.

I'm not even entertaining the exercise that Bamba is our future center.

Return to Orlando Magic