ImageImageImageImage

Draft 2021

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

The Magic pick lands at 3 and Cade and Green are off the board. Who do you want the Magic to draft?

Poll ended at Mon Jun 7, 2021 4:53 am

A) Jalen Suggs
66%
B) Evan Mobley
29%
C) Jonathan Kuminga
5%
D) Moses Moody
No votes
E) Scottie Barnes
No votes
F) Keon Johnson
No votes

Total votes: 38

Magic Mops
Junior
And1: 83

Draft 2021 

Post#1 » by Magic Mops » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:53 am

:D
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,788

Re: Draft 2021 

Post#2 » by RookieStar » Fri Jun 4, 2021 5:07 am

Before Cade blew up Suggs was my #1. Soooo....
Anti Chalmers
Analyst
And1: 2,858

Post#3 » by Anti Chalmers » Fri Jun 4, 2021 5:24 am

Suggs.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#4 » by RookieStar » Fri Jun 4, 2021 7:26 am

Also just like to add... as someon posted in the GB, nowadays its elite scoring AND elite PLAYMAKING that carries team to wins nowadays.

As can be seen with Luka, even with his supposed sidekick Zingis MIA most of the games, he still can will his team to a win. Look at Jokic, even with his star guard out in Murray, he still was able to win the series despite the scoring heroics of Dame. Look at CP3 , without his playmaking as well, Bookers scoring prowess probably wouldnt be enough against the Lakers. Look at MIL, sure they have Giannis but its Middletons playmaking and scoring that makes them sweep MIA.

And in this top 5 draft, how do you rank them in playmaking? Its probably a debate between Cade and Suggs.
Magic Mops
Junior
And1: 83

Post#5 » by Magic Mops » Fri Jun 4, 2021 8:33 am

RookieStar wrote:Also just like to add... as someon posted in the GB, nowadays its elite scoring AND elite PLAYMAKING that carries team to wins nowadays.

As can be seen with Luka, even with his supposed sidekick Zingis MIA most of the games, he still can will his team to a win. Look at Jokic, even with his star guard out in Murray, he still was able to win the series despite the scoring heroics of Dame. Look at CP3 , without his playmaking as well, Bookers scoring prowess probably wouldnt be enough against the Lakers. Look at MIL, sure they have Giannis but its Middletons playmaking and scoring that makes them sweep MIA.

And in this top 5 draft, how do you rank them in playmaking? Its probably a debate between Cade and Suggs.

Great post Sir.
Do you rank playmaking more important than shooting?
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#6 » by RookieStar » Fri Jun 4, 2021 8:51 am

Magic Mops wrote:
RookieStar wrote:Also just like to add... as someon posted in the GB, nowadays its elite scoring AND elite PLAYMAKING that carries team to wins nowadays.

Great post Sir.

Depends on the gap. Specifically how good of a playnaking is he in relation to.how sucky is he in shooting.

If i rank a very good to elite playmaker with a sucky shooter then theb thats Ben Simmons whereas I have a very good shooter with no playmaking ( aka black hole ) thats probably Herro? Or if you put it in this draft thats Giddey versus Kispert.

To answetlr directly then yes id probably rank playmkaing more than shooting because shooters even elite ones go cold (1-10 f/g) while playnaking you always involve the team and can hit the one who is hot.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#7 » by RookieStar » Fri Jun 4, 2021 8:51 am

Magic Mops wrote:

Great post Sir.

Depends on the gap. Specifically how good of a playnaking is he in relation to.how sucky is he in shooting.

If i rank a very good to elite playmaker with a sucky shooter then theb thats Ben Simmons whereas I have a very good shooter with no playmaking ( aka black hole ) thats probably Herro? Or if you put it in this draft thats Giddey versus Kispert.

To answetlr directly then yes id probably rank playmkaing more than shooting because shooters even elite ones go cold (1-10 f/g) while playnaking you always involve the team and can hit the one who is hot.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,892

Post#8 » by drsd » Fri Jun 4, 2021 9:59 am

I am not part of the Suggs-hype train. Mobley has the potential to be a Chris Bosh level of talent. At #3, Orlando goes with BPA, and for me that is Mobley over Suggs.

j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#9 » by j-ragg » Fri Jun 4, 2021 11:59 am

Easily Suggs.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,499

Post#10 » by jezzerinho » Fri Jun 4, 2021 12:22 pm

I know about 10% of what some on here know about basketball.

Still though, I'd like someone to explain to me the massive difference between Cade and Saddiq Bey in the pros. Cade is a better passer for sure, but I'm just not fully convinced of the hype.

I would probably have Green and Suggs and maybe Mobley in front.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#11 » by basketballRob » Fri Jun 4, 2021 12:50 pm

It's almost a consensus now that Cade and Mobley are the first 2 picks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#12 » by basketballRob » Fri Jun 4, 2021 12:55 pm

jezzerinho wrote:I know about 10% of what some on here know about basketball.

Still though, I'd like someone to explain to me the massive difference between Cade and Saddiq Bey in the pros. Cade is a better passer for sure, but I'm just not fully convinced of the hype.

Ball handling, whenever you get a bigger guy that handles the ball like a PG it usually works out well. Look at MJ, Doncic, Kobe, Tmac, all those guys handled the ball like point guards.

jezzerinho
Starter

Post#13 » by jezzerinho » Fri Jun 4, 2021 1:10 pm

basketballRob wrote:

Ball handling, whenever you get a bigger guy that handles the ball like a PG it usually works out well. Look at MJ, Doncic, Kobe, Tmac, all those guys handled the ball like point guards.

As an ex PG, Bey is no shabby ballhandler. He was primary initiator in college a lot of the time Cade may have the edge on him, but both are limited by their athletic profile, such that I'm not sure an edge in ball handling is massively beneficial.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#14 » by RookieStar » Fri Jun 4, 2021 1:19 pm

jezzerinho wrote:
basketballRob wrote:

As an ex PG, Bey is no shabby ballhandler. He was primary initiator in college a lot of the time Cade may have the edge on him, but both are limited by their athletic profile, such that I'm not sure an edge in ball handling is massively beneficial.

I admit I havrnt watched Bey in college but if you are saying Bey can handle the ball, initiate the plays, be the playmaker... then I dunno why Bey isnt the #1 pick.

But based on what I read Bey is a shooter as he demonstrated with the Pistons and not a lead playmaker.
jezzerinho
Starter

Post#15 » by jezzerinho » Fri Jun 4, 2021 1:24 pm

You're putting words in my mouth there! Bey is a SF who before he grew played PG and even in college was PnR initiator a lot of the time and often was asked to defend guards. Very reliable shooter.

I just feel Cade will end up being something similar, maybe 20% better than Bey but is that a No1 pick in a strong draft?
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#16 » by zaymon » Fri Jun 4, 2021 3:40 pm

jezzerinho wrote:You're putting words in my mouth there! Bey is a SF who before he grew played PG and even in college was PnR initiator a lot of the time and often was asked to defend guards. Very reliable shooter.

I just feel Cade will end up being something similar, maybe 20% better than Bey but is that a No1 pick in a strong draft?

I think your thoughts are very reasonable. You must bet that Cade can learn how to create against nba players while he barely did it against college players. 6'7 shooter and passer is always helpful though.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,234

Post#17 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:03 pm

I think you swing for the fences on perimeter players instead of bigs. It’s Suggs for me. But I keep getting this feeling that people are sleeping on Kuminga...including myself.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,333

Post#18 » by PrimeThyme » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:52 pm

Want? Suggs. Who'd be the actual likely pick in that scenario? Mobley. Without a doubt imo.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#19 » by MagicFan101 » Fri Jun 4, 2021 5:20 pm

drsd wrote:I am not part of the Suggs-hype train. Mobley has the potential to be a Chris Bosh level of talent. At #3, Orlando goes with BPA, and for me that is Mobley over Suggs.

Chris Bosh level of talent

How can you type those words and think, yup that’s the dude I want to build my team around!!

I get it if all 3 guards are gone but if you have the choice of an elite playmaker in today’s NBA or “Chris Bosh” who failed to lead a team and was only successful as the #3 on a mega roster … come on man.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#20 » by Xatticus » Fri Jun 4, 2021 5:24 pm

Magic Mops wrote:

Great post Sir.

Easily. Doncic's shooting isn't special. Nash is perhaps the best offensive player in the history of the NBA and his usage was never all that high. If you take away Jokic's ability to create offense, he is nothing special.

Shooting is much easier to acquire and isn't particularly useful by itself. We tend to oversimplify what 'shooting' is though. Hennigan brought in an array of shooters and our offense never improved. A good offensive player is one whose impact manifests in higher team efficiency. The ability to create better shots for the team is far more important than the ability to shoot.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991

Return to Orlando Magic