Image ImageImage Image

OT: Music, What are you listening to today, and what are your favorites?

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

chicago paxsons
Bench Warmer
And1: 720

Re: OT: Music, What are you listening to today, and what are your favorites? 

Post#21 » by chicago paxsons » Sat Jun 5, 2021 2:45 am

Mostly my taste is 60's, 70's, 80's rock with a little motown and blues. I tend towards more upbeat/lighter music nowadays.

van morrison - bright side of the road
https://youtu.be/rCDZzf4ragg

george harrison after the beatles - what is life
https://youtu.be/3XFfUt7HQWM

nina simone for some great motown - i wish i knew how it would feel to be free (cover)
https://youtu.be/inNBpizpZkE
nina simone again - sinnerman
https://youtu.be/xP7XuE1Fw9s

hothouse flowers - i can see clearly now (cover)
https://youtu.be/miXcYGMoQFw

For some more recent blues keb' mo' - every morning
https://youtu.be/vjKFpBO7u9w

This joe cocker song, to me, is a bit fun and silly but still great - you can leave your hat on (cover)
https://youtu.be/nCXL1NScwoQ

If you don't mind instrumentals
joe satriani - always with me, always with you
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
chicago paxsons
Bench Warmer
And1: 720

Post#22 » by chicago paxsons » Sat Jun 5, 2021 2:46 am

chicago paxsons wrote:Mostly my taste is 60's, 70's, 80's rock with a little motown and blues. I tend towards more upbeat/lighter music nowadays.

van morrison - bright side of the road
https://youtu.be/rCDZzf4ragg

george harrison after the beatles - what is life
https://youtu.be/3XFfUt7HQWM

nina simone for some great motown - i wish i knew how it would feel to be free (cover)
https://youtu.be/inNBpizpZkE
nina simone again - sinnerman
https://youtu.be/xP7XuE1Fw9s

hothouse flowers - i can see clearly now (cover)
https://youtu.be/miXcYGMoQFw

For some more recent blues keb' mo' - every morning
https://youtu.be/vjKFpBO7u9w

This joe cocker song, to me, is a bit fun and silly but still great - you can leave your hat on (cover)
https://youtu.be/nCXL1NScwoQ

If you don't mind instrumentals
joe satriani - always with me, always with you

sorry, i couldn't figure out how to make all the videos show up in the post
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#23 » by johnnyvann840 » Sat Jun 5, 2021 4:46 am

DuckIII wrote:
Love me some Taj Majal.

Here's the track from Taj and LoS. One of my favorites...

I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,629

Post#24 » by DuckIII » Sat Jun 5, 2021 4:51 am

johnnyvann840 wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
Love me some Taj Majal.

I spent the afternoon checking out the album after you mentioned it. Pretty sweet.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
johnnyvann840
RealGM

Post#25 » by johnnyvann840 » Sat Jun 5, 2021 4:57 am

DuckIII wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
Love me some Taj Majal.

I spent the afternoon checking out the album after you mentioned it. Pretty sweet.

Great! Midnight Blues and Troubled Times are my favorites. Troubled Times is a LoS original.. Drew Emmitt song. Drew is such a great songwriter and mando player ... and fiddle player and guitar player. Seriously the best musician I ever met. And what a voice. That's him and John Cowan on the vocals on that track. They can both hit that high C.

oh-- since you're a Cardinal fan, I have a funny story. Oh, about 15 years ago I was backstage at the Telluride Bluegrass Festival and I was talking to Sam Bush. He started the conversation about baseball with me. He was wearing a Cardinal jersey and I was wearing a Cubs hat and there was a pennant race going on that year. Anyway, we got around to talking about how much Sam loved playing with Leftover... he said "yeah, when I'm on stage with those guys, I have to play the fiddle because I have a hard time keeping up with Drew on the Mandolin".... we laughed..because Sam Bush is considered the greatest mandolin player on the planet by most people. But he was serious. Drew is that good (and fast)
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
jump
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,409

Post#26 » by jump » Sat Jun 5, 2021 5:06 am

Let's not forget the amazing Nathanial Rateliff and the Nightsweats

johnnyvann840
RealGM

Post#27 » by johnnyvann840 » Sat Jun 5, 2021 5:18 am

Speaking of Sammy...

;ab_channel=JackFazio
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,629

Post#28 » by DuckIII » Sat Jun 5, 2021 5:58 am

jump wrote:Let's not forget the amazing Nathanial Rateliff and the Nightsweats

He might be my favorite current singer. He’s got some excellent solo stuff too. But his best is with The Night Sweats in my opinion.

For the least few years I probably listening to him/them more than anyone else. I’m a sucker for The Lumineers too. Probably have been playing those two the most. They just put me in a good mood and they each have several credible songs about alcoholism and addiction, which are always interesting to me. Especially the Lumineers. It’s what their while most recent album is about (though possibly my least favorite album as a whole from them).
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,947
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#29 » by MalagaBulls » Sat Jun 5, 2021 7:52 am

Based in Spain, we have become a factory of pre-packaged pop & rap/trap that I don't care for.
Some of you who like jazz/soul might like classic Flamenco fusioned with jazz. Our best guitarist was Paco de Lucía who passed away in 2014.

MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,947
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#30 » by MalagaBulls » Sat Jun 5, 2021 8:02 am

BTW, OT but related. Who on the board enjoys poetry? In Spain we also have the pleasure of having had one of the past century's most acclaimed playwright & poet.
His name is Federico Garcia Lorca & he is a legend in Europe. He has been compared to Shakespeare.
jump
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,409

Post#31 » by jump » Sat Jun 5, 2021 2:28 pm

DuckIII wrote:
jump wrote:Let's not forget the amazing Nathanial Rateliff and the Nightsweats

He might be my favorite current singer. He’s got some excellent solo stuff too. But his best is with The Night Sweats in my opinion.

For the least few years I probably listening to him/them more than anyone else. I’m a sucker for The Lumineers too. Probably have been playing those two the most. They just put me in a good mood and they each have several credible songs about alcoholism and addiction, which are always interesting to me. Especially the Lumineers. It’s what their while most recent album is about (though possibly my least favorite album as a whole from them).

If you're like me, it all started with The Band. A religious experience for me. Set the bar so high (with three amazing vocalists) that not even the Nightsweats or the Lumineers can touch them. I heard Nathanial Rateliff in an interview say that he wanted their sound to be a combination of Sam & Dave and The Band. They did that beautifully. And of course, they do a live medley of S.O.B. and The Shape I'm In. Saw them at BottleRock in 2019 in Napa, CA.

Check this one out, and especially Levon's drumming on The Weight.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,410

Post#32 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Jun 5, 2021 3:26 pm

DuckIII wrote:I have pretty eclectic music tastes. I typically listen to 60s/70s rock and folk, Motown, 60s/70s soul and funk, blues rock, 90s rap/hip hop, many eras of folk/Americana up to the present, modern blue grass and “good” country music (Willie, Waylon, Sturgill Simpson, basically things not on the radio which is all pop-country packaged trash).

My favorite more recent album and new band is Black Pumas. If you like Al Green, Marvin Gaye, etc. you might really love these guys. This is the most well known song off their debut album but the whole thing is fantastic:

Some other current bands/artists I listen to that fly a little under the radar are Trampled by Turtles (blue grass), Michael Kiwanuka (hard to define but somewhat similar to Black Pumas I guess but less retro), and JD McPherson (how is he not a star? Retro rockabilly/blues and even some sock hop sounding 50s era stuff - he’s amazing).

I’ll try to come back and add more links later.

Are you a fan of Greg Dulli at all. You pretty much named his influences verbatim.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,543

Post#33 » by dice » Sat Jun 5, 2021 4:31 pm

i'll just take this opportunity to mention one of the very best bands of the '90s that richly deserved to break big but never came close. they opened for the smashing pumpkins, pearl jam and r.e.m. the latter's lead singer michael stipe called them the best band in the western hemisphere (w/ radiohead, another r.e.m. opening band, presumably being the best in the eastern hemisphere)

that band is grant lee buffalo. 4 albums, pick any one of 'em, can't go wrong
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#34 » by dice » Sat Jun 5, 2021 6:14 pm

another criminally unsuccessful band:

the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#35 » by dice » Sat Jun 5, 2021 6:19 pm

and because i can't help myself:

samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,452

Post#36 » by samwana » Sat Jun 5, 2021 7:00 pm

DuckIII wrote:I have pretty eclectic music tastes. I typically listen to 60s/70s rock and folk, Motown, 60s/70s soul and funk, blues rock, 90s rap/hip hop, many eras of folk/Americana up to the present, modern blue grass and “good” country music (Willie, Waylon, Sturgill Simpson, basically things not on the radio which is all pop-country packaged trash).

My favorite more recent album and new band is Black Pumas. If you like Al Green, Marvin Gaye, etc. you might really love these guys. This is the most well known song off their debut album but the whole thing is fantastic:

Some other current bands/artists I listen to that fly a little under the radar are Trampled by Turtles (blue grass), Michael Kiwanuka (hard to define but somewhat similar to Black Pumas I guess but less retro), and JD McPherson (how is he not a star? Retro rockabilly/blues and even some sock hop sounding 50s era stuff - he’s amazing).

I’ll try to come back and add more links later.
Black Pumas are really nice, the jumped right on my playlist..

Normally I like my 70s and 80s most of the time Al Stewart, Japan, Joe Jackson, Michael Jackson, David Bowie, a lot of Britpop. And right now I like to hear binaurals or psytrance.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using RealGM mobile app
dice
RealGM

Post#37 » by dice » Sun Jun 6, 2021 12:54 am

i was listening to the 1990 pet shop boys release recently, which includes a beautiful coming-of-age love song called 'nervously'. it happens to be about two gay boys. which got me to thinking how rare it is even today to hear popular music with overtly LGBTQ content. then it occurred to me that two of the best songs ever written covered such territory. and both are from the late '60s - van morrison's 'madame george' and this one by the late, great lou reed:

and, of course, there's bowie's legendary, homoerotic performance of 'starman' on top of the pops in the early '70s, complete with dancing teens in the background:

2018C3
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

Post#38 » by 2018C3 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 11:45 pm

Like I said earlier, I can appreciate all genre's of music. Here is a more recent country song from 2015 that I think is particularly good. I did not find until 2020, but It was my favorite song I listened to all of last year.

I'm not sure there is such a thing as a music snob, I think most people just listen to what they like. Some people like what gets commonly played on the radio, other do not and go searching for things they like. The end result is both types enjoy the music they choose to listen to.

Radio music would not be popular if people did not like it.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,201

Post#39 » by HomoSapien » Sun Jun 6, 2021 11:52 pm

Don't know if we need a thread dedicated to what Musicsoulchild is listening to these days, but I'll allow it for now.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.

Return to Chicago Bulls