ImageImageImage

Tacko Fall Signed to Two-Way (10-13-19)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

grantlongforpresident
Assistant Coach
And1: 124

Re: Tacko Fall Signed to Two-Way (10-13-19) 

Post#661 » by grantlongforpresident » Tue May 18, 2021 9:27 am

I love when Tacko plays. Who cares if we waste our 15th roster slot on a gimmick? It’s fun!
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#662 » by cloverleaf » Tue May 18, 2021 10:54 am

djFan71 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
djFan71 wrote:Yeah, lack of G league this year hurt him for sure. A boxer coach for balance, etc, would help. But, that high center of gravity might be tough to ever overcome. I've never expected a ton from him - seems like a great dude, works, etc. But, just too slow in both movement and decision making and lacks that mean streak like you say. My niece went to UCF when he was there and a buddy of mine were talking about him pre-draft. I said there was no chance he got drafted, but maybe some sucker team would bet on his height and waste a few years trying to get something out of him on a 2-way....

It will likely take another year or two, but I think he will make it to some role of utility, which you don't seem to think is in the cards for him. I get it that a high center of gravity can be a challenge, but I really don't see him using his weight against opposing players at all--and he could. If he gets that grounded, I think he doesn't really need more speed or hops than he has. And sure, you can see him still thinking through his moves, but I don't think that's a slow brain--I think it is from it being new to him without him having got enough game reps in.

Totally agree with your points, I don't think it's a mental think, it's totally reps and game feel and game athleticism over hops/speed. He reacts fairly well in shotblocking, but most of the rest is far too slow for the NBA level. He could get there and prove me wrong, but I'd rather use that spot on someone who is maybe 1 thing away from being a legit player (usually shooting), not a whole bunch.

If Brad's back, I don't think Tacko should be back here with him. Brad won't use him sufficiently for his development or enough to justify the spot.

PS To give Mr. Fall his due, with reasons for another team to add him to their roster, he finished #1 on the team (by a lot) in on-court and on/off +/- and in total rebounding and block rates. He also was #2 in TS%, with FG% in the .700s from 0-3' and 3-10' and 1.000 from 16' to 3pt range. (He didn't have any attempts from the other distances.)
moonie_mcgee
Starter
And1: 1,794

Post#663 » by moonie_mcgee » Tue May 18, 2021 4:34 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
djFan71 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
It will likely take another year or two, but I think he will make it to some role of utility, which you don't seem to think is in the cards for him. I get it that a high center of gravity can be a challenge, but I really don't see him using his weight against opposing players at all--and he could. If he gets that grounded, I think he doesn't really need more speed or hops than he has. And sure, you can see him still thinking through his moves, but I don't think that's a slow brain--I think it is from it being new to him without him having got enough game reps in.

Totally agree with your points, I don't think it's a mental think, it's totally reps and game feel and game athleticism over hops/speed. He reacts fairly well in shotblocking, but most of the rest is far too slow for the NBA level. He could get there and prove me wrong, but I'd rather use that spot on someone who is maybe 1 thing away from being a legit player (usually shooting), not a whole bunch.

If Brad's back, I don't think Tacko should be back here with him. Brad won't use him sufficiently for his development or enough to justify the spot.

PS To give Mr. Fall his due, with reasons for another team to add him to their roster, he finished #1 on the team (by a lot) in on-court and on/off +/- and in total rebounding and block rates. He also was #2 in TS%, with FG% in the .700s from 0-3' and 3-10' and 1.000 from 16' to 3pt range. (He didn't have any attempts from the other distances.)

Stevens LOATHES Tacko. You can tell by how he communicates and plays him on the sidelines and court.

Id like Tacko to land in Philly or NY in the East or Dal or New Orl in the West.

He will benefit with a change in leadership.
I wanna see him refocused and repurposed.

And I wanna see goggles on.
He MUST be a hard guy out there.

Edit: repurposed

Utah or Det too
That's the Way of the World
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#664 » by Ernest » Tue May 18, 2021 4:59 pm

Tacko is just worlds away from an NBA caliber player. When he gets garbage minutes it's funny for the starters and rotation players to throw him the ball. Whatever happens then doesn't matter and it might be funny.

But watch him out there with the deep bench guys last game. They gave him the ball zero times. It's not funny to them. They are fighting for their NBA lives and sharing the court with someone they are a million times better at basketball than who just happens to be the tallest guy alive.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#665 » by cloverleaf » Tue May 18, 2021 5:09 pm

moonie_mcgee wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
djFan71 wrote:Totally agree with your points, I don't think it's a mental think, it's totally reps and game feel and game athleticism over hops/speed. He reacts fairly well in shotblocking, but most of the rest is far too slow for the NBA level. He could get there and prove me wrong, but I'd rather use that spot on someone who is maybe 1 thing away from being a legit player (usually shooting), not a whole bunch.

Stevens LOATHES Tacko. You can tell by how he communicates and plays him on the sidelines and court.

Id like Tacko to land in Philly or NY in the East or Dal or New Orl in the West.

Utah or Det too

Agreed all around--from Brad to the goggles!
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#666 » by moonie_mcgee » Tue May 18, 2021 10:42 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
moonie_mcgee wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

Utah or Det too

Likewise clover. He actually seems to have regressed. Which is hard to excuse. Scal said something about Mo Bamba in the ORL game. He questioned his commitment to game. I hope that's not Tacko but who knows. He seems a bit distant, aloof to me. He sits really far away on the bench. I'd like him to be much more involved on the sidelines. He also seems a bit too snappy with the the clothes when he's not suited up to play. I just get the feeling he's milking it a bit. That said, I think he'll be successful in life with or without bball. He's really really smart, got his degree and knows America is the opportunity of dreams. I know he did the Africa tour with Embid and I read they're close. I just get the feeling the Celts got his foot in the door and he needs to knock it down a la Ferrigno and get back to the Central Florida - Red Claws Tacko who was unconventional promising.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#667 » by cloverleaf » Wed May 19, 2021 1:44 pm

moonie_mcgee wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
moonie_mcgee wrote:

Utah or Det too

Likewise clover. He actually seems to have regressed. Which is hard to excuse. Scal said something about Mo Bamba in the ORL game. He questioned his commitment to game. I hope that's not Tacko but who knows. He seems a bit distant, aloof to me. He sits really far away on the bench. I'd like him to be much more involved on the sidelines. He also seems a bit too snappy with the the clothes when he's not suited up to play. I just get the feeling he's milking it a bit. That said, I think he'll be successful in life with or without bball. He's really really smart, got his degree and knows America is the opportunity of dreams. I know he did the Africa tour with Embid and I read they're close. I just get the feeling the Celts got his foot in the door and he needs to knock it down a la Ferrigno and get back to the Central Florida - Red Claws Tacko who was unconventional promising.

I think losing Kanter was probably big for Tacko. But he's not nearly the dresser that the guys higher up the roster tend to be. (My guess Kornet and, likely, Pritchard excepted.) He does look embarrassed and conflicted out there taking warm-up shots with the team after halftime, like he's supposed to do that but also not get in the way of the rotation players. His struggles at the FT line worry me in that I don't see improvement there. He probably should go the Rick Barry route, but I am sure doesn't want to stand out in that way from the other players. There certainly aren't reports of him being first and last in the gym. It's pretty common for big men not to be as driven as, for example, the smaller guards who manage to make it to the league.

By all counts he's a genuinely great guy and his teammates all seem to root for him.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,627

Post#668 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed May 19, 2021 2:18 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
djFan71 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

Tacko should be on a team that enjoys playing drop or zone coverage. Those can be found in the NBA.

Further, Tacko should be on a team that enjoys old-fashioned post play. Those are perhaps better found overseas.

But the real problem, as I said, is his hands. He's made good strides, no pun intended, in moving his feet, his continued slowness notwithstanding. But he just isn't very good at controlling a basketball.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#669 » by cloverleaf » Wed May 19, 2021 2:58 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
djFan71 wrote:Totally agree with your points, I don't think it's a mental think, it's totally reps and game feel and game athleticism over hops/speed. He reacts fairly well in shotblocking, but most of the rest is far too slow for the NBA level. He could get there and prove me wrong, but I'd rather use that spot on someone who is maybe 1 thing away from being a legit player (usually shooting), not a whole bunch.

Tacko should be on a team that enjoys playing drop or zone coverage. Those can be found in the NBA.

Further, Tacko should be on a team that enjoys old-fashioned post play. Those are perhaps better found overseas.

But the real problem, as I said, is his hands. He's made good strides, no pun intended, in moving his feet, his continued slowness notwithstanding. But he just isn't very good at controlling a basketball.

Yet somehow he has managed exceptionally high finishing, block, and rebound rates when on the floor. Height can compensate for quite a lot in basketball. (The Williams bros. both have higher TOV%, too.)
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,627

Post#670 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed May 19, 2021 5:20 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

Yet somehow he has managed exceptionally high finishing, block, and rebound rates when on the floor. Height can compensate for quite a lot in basketball. (The Williams bros. both have higher TOV%, too.)

The blocks are irrelevant to what I was saying. The others are not, and seem to contradict what I've seen with my eyes.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#671 » by cloverleaf » Wed May 19, 2021 11:11 pm

cloverleaf wrote:

The blocks are irrelevant to what I was saying. The others are not, and seem to contradict what I've seen with my eyes.

You've got to get your hands up and working in the right spot and direction in a flash to be successful in blocking many shots.

But yeah, taller people tend to have slower reflexes: https://tall.life/tall-people-have-slower-reflexes/#:~:text=Tall%20People%20Have%20Slower%20Reflexes%2025,activities%20as%20sports%20and%20driving.

As a counter to that, there are also studies showing that quick minds correlate with good hand and eye coordination. Tacko reportedly scored in the 95th percentile on his SATs, I think it was, so he may well have quicker reflexes than most guys of his height.
makubesu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,775

Post#672 » by makubesu » Sat Jun 5, 2021 9:46 am

Watching Boban for the Mavs these past few games makes me hopeful that Tacko can someday be a real rotation player for some nba team. But you can see that on offense he actually gets involved setting picks for Luka, instead of trying to get good post position every possession.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#673 » by cloverleaf » Sat Jun 5, 2021 1:32 pm

Probably won't happen, but it would be fun to see Larranaga get a head coaching opportunity next year, with his friend and protege Tacko on his team, really getting a chance to play.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,973

Post#674 » by jfs1000d » Sat Jun 5, 2021 7:08 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

You've got to get your hands up and working in the right spot and direction in a flash to be successful in blocking many shots.

But yeah, taller people tend to have slower reflexes: https://tall.life/tall-people-have-slower-reflexes/#:~:text=Tall%20People%20Have%20Slower%20Reflexes%2025,activities%20as%20sports%20and%20driving.

As a counter to that, there are also studies showing that quick minds correlate with good hand and eye coordination. Tacko reportedly scored in the 95th percentile on his SATs, I think it was, so he may well have quicker reflexes than most guys of his height.
Tacko has NASA level intelligence. I dont know if he can be Two way. A 2 way next year.

Sent from my KFMAWI using Tapatalk
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#675 » by cloverleaf » Sun Jun 6, 2021 9:38 pm

moonie_mcgee wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
moonie_mcgee wrote:

Utah or Det too

I think Kanter's biggest contribution to the team was his enthusiastic inclusion of the young guys and his sociability both at practice and after practice. I think Grant and Tacko lost the most when they lost him. Nobody else seems to have so good-naturedly included everyone in his friendly umbrella. The word was that Covid protocols led to two locker rooms this season, with the young guys unfortunately banished to their own space. Enes would have bridged that for sure.

Anyway, I think a guy like Kanter can make a difference for the belief, commitment and attitude of young guys like Tacko. You heard, for example, Kemba talking about Tremont being his guy and how much he liked to mentor him--but nothing along those lines about his support for Pritchard. Brown talked about how unsupportive the vets were in his rookie year, so I at least hope, and guess, that he's a more cognizant of his posture in that way.

PS Oh, and I have a hard time believing Tacko's in any way a snappier dresser than the rest of the NBA peacocks. The difference is that Tacko unquestionably needs his clothes custom tailored!
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,966

Post#676 » by darrendaye » Sun Jun 6, 2021 10:17 pm

makubesu wrote:Watching Boban for the Mavs these past few games makes me hopeful that Tacko can someday be a real rotation player for some nba team. But you can see that on offense he actually gets involved setting picks for Luka, instead of trying to get good post position every possession.

Boban hits his free throws. It a critical flaw in Tacko.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#677 » by cloverleaf » Sun Jun 6, 2021 10:42 pm

darrendaye wrote:
makubesu wrote:Watching Boban for the Mavs these past few games makes me hopeful that Tacko can someday be a real rotation player for some nba team. But you can see that on offense he actually gets involved setting picks for Luka, instead of trying to get good post position every possession.

Boban hits his free throws. It a critical flaw in Tacko.

Tacko should just go underhand.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,429

Post#678 » by playa-hater » Sun Jun 6, 2021 11:10 pm

So long as I am a poster in this message board, I will not allow bad mouthing of Tacko..

you have been warned !

Tacko = best 15th man ever..
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#679 » by moonie_mcgee » Mon Jun 7, 2021 12:59 am

cloverleaf wrote:
moonie_mcgee wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

I think Kanter's biggest contribution to the team was his enthusiastic inclusion of the young guys and his sociability both at practice and after practice. I think Grant and Tacko lost the most when they lost him. Nobody else seems to have so good-naturedly included everyone in his friendly umbrella. The word was that Covid protocols led to two locker rooms this season, with the young guys unfortunately banished to their own space. Enes would have bridged that for sure.

Anyway, I think a guy like Kanter can make a difference for the belief, commitment and attitude of young guys like Tacko. You heard, for example, Kemba talking about Tremont being his guy and how much he liked to mentor him--but nothing along those lines about his support for Pritchard. Brown talked about how unsupportive the vets were in his rookie year, so I at least hope, and guess, that he's a more cognizant of his posture in that way.

PS Oh, and I have a hard time believing Tacko's in any way a snappier dresser than the rest of the NBA peacocks. The difference is that Tacko unquestionably needs his clothes custom tailored!

Hey clover. Lol ya I was thinking about Tacko in that wicked camel hair top coat and black tee. Well Kanter and Tacko are both Muslim and they had that connection too. But ya Kanter was big for Tacko that first camp together. Tacko can get there but he hasn't improved since his G league season. I think the draftees were affected by the protocols more than the vets. Hopefully Tacko gets one more season to carve out a role. If not hopefully he'll get a shot with a team that's familiar with utilizing and developing big bigs.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#680 » by cloverleaf » Mon Jun 7, 2021 1:26 am

moonie_mcgee wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
moonie_mcgee wrote:

Hey clover. Lol ya I was thinking about Tacko in that wicked camel hair top coat and black tee. Well Kanter and Tacko are both Muslim and they had that connection too. But ya Kanter was big for Tacko that first camp together. Tacko can get there but he hasn't improved since his G league season. I think the draftees were affected by the protocols more than the vets. Hopefully Tacko gets one more season to carve out a role. If not hopefully he'll get a shot with a team that's familiar with utilizing and developing big bigs.

He has actually improved a fair amount. But he got very flustered the one time Brad finally tried to give him legit time this season--and of course that was it for him. Unless they get him better coaching over the summer and their new coach sees potential in him, I hope he catches on with another team for next year.

Return to Boston Celtics