ImageImageImageImageImage

"Carmichael Dave" opens up about what the Kings told him about taking Bagley over Luka before the draft.

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Re: "Carmichael Dave" opens up about what the Kings told him about taking Bagley over Luka before the draft. 

Post#2 » by KF10 » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:15 pm

Pretty much confirms my suspicions about how bad of a blunder this was. Like I needed any more confirmation tho lol

But one thing I disagree with Dave was his continued lip service to Bagley. He keeps saying “it’s not Bagley’s fault…” why defend Bagley at all?

Bagley looks completely the same player since his rookie season but sprinkle in some slight improvements here and there. I have zero sympathy for this guy at this point.
Lost in LA
Pro Prospect
And1: 154

Re: "Carmichael Dave" opens up about what the Kings told him about taking Bagley over Luka before the draft. 

Post#3 » by Lost in LA » Sat Jun 5, 2021 1:49 pm

KF10 wrote:Pretty much confirms my suspicions about how bad of a blunder this was. Like I needed any more confirmation tho lol

But one thing I disagree with Dave was his continued lip service to Bagley. He keeps saying “it’s not Bagley’s fault…” why defend Bagley at all?

Bagley looks completely the same player since his rookie season but sprinkle in some slight improvements here and there. I have zero sympathy for this guy at this point.

That does not excuse the original decision though, which was mind numbingly stupid. Doncic was NBA ready in a way that even Fox wasn't.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#4 » by KF10 » Sat Jun 5, 2021 11:21 pm

Lost in LA wrote:
KF10 wrote:Pretty much confirms my suspicions about how bad of a blunder this was. Like I needed any more confirmation tho lol

That does not excuse the original decision though, which was mind numbingly stupid. Doncic was NBA ready in a way that even Fox wasn't.

Oh, don’t get me wrong. This was an all time blunder by the Kings. Sorry if I didn’t made myself clear.
ICMTM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 176

Post#5 » by ICMTM » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:11 am

Carmichael Dave has flip flopped on both Doncic and Bagley enough on air to throw a middle finger at his brodcast.

His sidekick J-Marz is a troll.

If you watch all 82 games as a fan (like most RealGM people did when I posted the most) you really know that Carmichael Dave isn't keepin' it real like he was when he got canned the 1st time.

Lucky for the few of you reading I have literally told Carmichael Dave the Kings need to off 2 of the 3 of Buddy, Bogi, Barnes. We are not complete here. Since we have retooled if the Kings bring back Harkless and Davis either of them can get the stepping. Otherwise bringing back Davis is within the Orgs control so Buddy gets to walk the plank.

Luka Doncic has had two 1st round exits on a team that looks no closer to championship aspirations than the Kings. His team is 3-10 against the same rebuilding Kings for his career.

Again Middle Finger to Carmichael Dave! The idea is to build a title contender not a "ooops you could have built a 1st round exit team" if we go back on the picks.

Listen to better media.
KANGZZZZZ!
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Post#6 » by OGSactownballer » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:25 am

ICMTM wrote:Carmichael Dave has flip flopped on both Doncic and Bagley enough on air to throw a middle finger at his brodcast.

His sidekick J-Marz is a troll.

If you watch all 82 games as a fan (like most RealGM people did when I posted the most) you really know that Carmichael Dave isn't keepin' it real like he was when he got canned the 1st time.

Lucky for the few of you reading I have literally told Carmichael Dave the Kings need to off 2 of the 3 of Buddy, Bogi, Barnes. We are not complete here. Since we have retooled if the Kings bring back Harkless and Davis either of them can get the stepping. Otherwise bringing back Davis is within the Orgs control so Buddy gets to walk the plank.

Luka Doncic has had two 1st round exits on a team that looks no closer to championship aspirations than the Kings. His team is 3-10 against the same rebuilding Kings for his career.

Again Middle Finger to Carmichael Dave! The idea is to build a title contender not a "ooops you could have built a 1st round exit team" if we go back on the picks.

Listen to better media.

BRAVO!!!!!
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie
And1: 773

Post#7 » by FarBeyondDriven » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:10 am

I don't believe any of it. I think Doncic forced his way to the Mavericks and the league put pressure on all other teams to acquiesce. This was Kobe all over again. Also, each of the other teams had plausible deniability for taking others so it was an easy story to sell the masses. The Suns already had Booker, the Kings already had Fox, the Grizzlies had Conley and the Hawks supposedly preferred Young. It's absurd and I won't accept it.
sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Post#8 » by sacking123 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:24 am

blind prophet wrote:https://overcast.fm/+H8ke6LDsQ/21:58

It's even worse than I expected. :banghead:

This seems to be the worst case scenario I think and I'm not shocked. I'm shocked they didn't select that chubby kid from Slovenia that was unathletic and wouldn't be able to

I think the 68/69% of people in the polls Carmichael Dave alludes to, and I think it was a high majority here as well knew that Luka's play would translate to the NBA. Probably not to the state it is right now, but certainly be a star. That is what is truly disappointing. It was so obvious.
I know I had Doncic as the #1 overall pick at the time. I knew he was the best player from the draft, but having said that I don't believe in drafting 5s unless they are going to be transcendent players and I didn't think DA was going to be that player.
I think I had Bagley at #3 or #4 so I definitely mucked up there.

I think I can remember there were a few here a little concerned Vlade wouldn't take MPJ that high instead of trading down and then he fell even more.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
ICMTM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by ICMTM » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:00 pm

I am not mad we passed on Luka Doncic
KANGZZZZZ!
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,772

Post#10 » by BoogieTime » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:32 pm

ICMTM wrote:I am not mad we passed on Luka Doncic

reason being?
ICMTM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by ICMTM » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:20 am

BoogieTime wrote:

reason being?

Reason I am not mad? Simple. He hasn't won anything of real significance. It seems like when the Clips decide to play against the Mavs they win.

We have had a ROY here before. It didn't lead to much.

It's been a long time, but we were 2-2 against the Spurs and lost that series in the 1st round. That series really pointed out we weren't an elite team anymore. I don't aspire to be a 1st round and exit player.

Ayton - Got to a final. He wasn't the guy, but he's been there.
Young - Got to a conference final.

Mitchell, Antetokoumpo...guys we also passed on who are very good! They have had more team success as well (yes in the league longer).

So if we are crying about who we missed as a function of making the team better (vs who you are a fan of) his resume says he isn't yet that guy.

I also feel a healthy run with an adequate bench for the current core will get us in the post season.
KANGZZZZZ!
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#12 » by BoogieTime » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:39 am

ICMTM wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

reason being?

Reason I am not mad? Simple. He hasn't won anything of real significance. It seems like when the Clips decide to play against the Mavs they win.

It's been a long time, but we were 2-2 against the Spurs and lost that series in the 1st round. That series really pointed out we weren't an elite team anymore. I don't aspire to be a 1st round and exit player.

Mitchell, Antetokoumpo...guys we also passed on who are very good! They have had more team success as well (yes in the league longer).

So if we are crying about who we missed as a function of making the team better (vs who you are a fan of) his resume says he isn't yet that guy.

I also feel a healthy run with an adequate bench for the current core will get us in the post season.

It was an awful decision not to draft him, and the person who made the draft choice was rightfully held accountable.

I don't see the reason to cry over spilt milk, at all. So once Vlade was fired, no reason to bring it up. Whats meant to be is what's meant to be

Im not sure that's the same as intentionally not being mad about the pick, though

Although not drafting Luka has led to Hali/Mitchell and arguably what else, so the end chapter isnt written
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Post#13 » by OGSactownballer » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:02 am

I know that this will not be a popular opinion.

The book is not even close to being written in Bahleybyet either.

Marvin is a textbook wxamplenofnwhyninrhink it is incredibly stupid to draft bigs under 21/22 years old.

Men are not close to maturing and filling out until they are 24 - 26 years old and their metabolism phases into maturity.

Marvin’s injuries - as I have pointed out to agreement in both local radio shows - are all based in impacts. Ultimately what this tells me is he is simply being played out of position as a Center because he has not yet matured enough and filled out to handle playing against Men who are heavier, stronger and more mature than he is physically.

JJJ in Memphis and Richaun right here have similar issues with their injuries. They are being asked to play in positions that their bodies are not built to handle. The centers in the West are huge. In little wonder that these guys cannot stay clear of impact injuries.

If the fences can be mended here there is a better than equal chance - given his natural talent - that Marvin can still become a high quality POWER FORWARD for us and the positive of his rough career start (he’s not the first of his type by far) might reward our patience by getting him much cheaper than if he had shown a great deal of potential over a larger and healthier game sample.
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,474

Post#14 » by pillwenney » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:53 am

ICMTM wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

reason being?

Uhh...wow.

Luka's won a ton relative to other guys who have been in the league for 3 years and are far and away the best player on their teams. Ayton is the third best player on this team--not even closer to second. Young is a on a deep team in a weaker conference (though even if you want to use that as an argument--we took Bagley over him too!).

Jordan wasn't out of the first round at this point in his career despite starting two years older than Luka. Lebron didn't even make the playoffs until his third season. Luka is 21 years old and again, far, far and way the best player on his team. Using level of playoff success (right now!) to judge whether a 21-year-old two-time all-NBA first teamer would have been a good pick is...really something.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#15 » by BoogieTime » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:09 pm

OGSactownballer wrote:I know that this will not be a popular opinion.

The book is not even close to being written in Bahleybyet either.

Marvin is a textbook wxamplenofnwhyninrhink it is incredibly stupid to draft bigs under 21/22 years old.

Men are not close to maturing and filling out until they are 24 - 26 years old and their metabolism phases into maturity.

Marvin’s injuries - as I have pointed out to agreement in both local radio shows - are all based in impacts. Ultimately what this tells me is he is simply being played out of position as a Center because he has not yet matured enough and filled out to handle playing against Men who are heavier, stronger and more mature than he is physically.

JJJ in Memphis and Richaun right here have similar issues with their injuries. They are being asked to play in positions that their bodies are not built to handle. The centers in the West are huge. In little wonder that these guys cannot stay clear of impact injuries.

If the fences can be mended here there is a better than equal chance - given his natural talent - that Marvin can still become a high quality POWER FORWARD for us and the positive of his rough career start (he’s not the first of his type by far) might reward our patience by getting him much cheaper than if he had shown a great deal of potential over a larger and healthier game sample.

The issue for Marvin though is lack of BBIQ IMO.

That is something that is innate IMO

The fact that he is in the wrong place at the wrong time, seemingly always, many would say is an issue that doesn't improve with time.

We were shopping him this summer for savings arguably. The Athletic had us shopping him in order to pay Holmes. He didn't draw interest. Although that is from my vantage

Since he is one this team, even if I don't like him personally, Ill support his growth on the court as an asset. But, I'll be surprised if he is playing more than 15 minutes as a backup. He is going to have to earn his time, and wont longer be a priority

Return to Sacramento Kings