ImageImageImageImageImage

2021 Draft thread. Woo! 15th pick here we come! Hoo. Ray.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Re: 2021 Draft thread. Evan Mobley here we come! :) 

Post#1581 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Fri Jun 4, 2021 11:58 pm

Trey Murphy III climbing up the mocks.... NBA DRAFT ROOM has him in 1st round. I listened to Chad Ford's Draft podcast today & has Murphy moving into his top 30 big board now.

https://nbadraftroom.com/trey-murphy-iii/

"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#1582 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Jun 5, 2021 12:24 am

Also, I'm curious... The workout videos of Maker prepping for the draft, I thought were very intriguing, did anyone else find them interesting or impressive at all? I mean not just his skill, but the way he took instruction and his attitude were key for me as well. I'm just surprised by the lack of response, and I haven't seen him on any mocks either. I remember there was a lot of interest in Bol Bol as a high upside pick, but nothing for this guy? I guess it must be me. But I'd be interested in any feedback good or bad on him...

NBA DRAFT ROOM now does at least have his draft projection on his profile, although he's still not in their mock...

Draft Projection
late first to mid second round pick in the 2021 NBA Draft

SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#1583 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Jun 5, 2021 6:25 am

NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,309

Post#1584 » by NatP4 » Sat Jun 5, 2021 1:25 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:https://nbadraft.theringer.com/mock-draft

If we pick Moody at 15 and Giddey goes 16 to Boston, I’m turning in my wiz fan card.

Although, if there is one prospect in starting to come around on, it might be Moody.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#1585 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Jun 5, 2021 2:15 pm

Looking at the players that could be available at 15, I think Wagner is the most obvious pick. His overall skill, size, versatility, motor, ability to score multiple ways & defend multiple positions, court vision & IQ, mentality (team ball & competitiveness), etc.

If he's off the board, I am also really liking Murphy. That stroke is so nice! Am I the only one seeing Reggie Miller comp? His length and defense is also impressive, his 1 on 1 D as well as team D reading the offense and anticipation.

Others that have my interest....

Moody, his shooting & length from the wing he fits the profile ideally as far as team need.

Jared Butler, ideal 3rd guard, could play with Brad or Russ, his combo of 3pt shooting and defense would be a great addition to our backcourt, his ability to maneuver through the lane reminds of Brad. I really like Michell, his backcourt mate at Baylor, but looking like a lock he's gone by 15. But I like Butler as well, and he could ultimately turn out to be the better pro.

Some bigs worth considering...

Garuba, athletic defender, his length and the way he moves his feet is very impressive, his timing on blocks and his ability to defend and get steals without fouling, high motor & team oriented.

Jones and Jackson, both are long athletic PFs who defend, a definite team need.

Bassey and Queta, a couple of intriguing centers who defend with nice size and upside.

Maker, very skilled big with tremendous upside but raw.

I would probably put Wagner, Murphy, Butler as my personal favorites at 15. I'd also definitely be interested in a trade down to maybe be able to get 2 of these guys especially if Wagner goes before 15, maybe Knicks (19 & 21) or Rockets (23 & 24)?
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,348

Post#1586 » by doclinkin » Sat Jun 5, 2021 4:04 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Trey Murphy III climbing up the mocks.... NBA DRAFT ROOM has him in 1st round. I listened to Chad Ford's Draft podcast today & has Murphy moving into his top 30 big board now.

If the team falls apart without the spacing from Bertans, well, here is the younger version. Range, height, accuracy, 90% free throw shooting. Not as quick a release or as active off the ball running to screens, more of a standstill sniper, but that may be Virginia's offensive style. Not a lot of movement designed for him. Looking at footage from Rice he does seem to run well off pindown screens, and find his mid air balance quickly. Statwise: Low rebounds, low assists, low anything except for shooting, but his shot is reliable. Ball goes in. And it looks like he would be an upgrade on Bertans defensively. Able to guard the perimeter without being a liability.

I'd like it alright but given that many mocks have him late, I would like it more on a trade down for Trey plus more. If possible.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,971

Post#1587 » by DCZards » Sat Jun 5, 2021 4:53 pm

I’ve had my sights set on seeing Jared Butler in a Zards uni but I’d be very happy with Moody (per The Ringer)…maybe even happier. Both Moody and Butler are two of the purest shooters in this draft and both are above average defenders.

Moody is a true SF whereas Butler is more of a combo guard. That gives Moses a little of an edge over Butler as it relates to the Zards’ need.

If the Zards do buy or trade for a second round pick, one of the guys I’d like to see them target is Herb Jones. He’s a special defender and will give the Zards much-needed length, athleticism and defense at the wing position. Jones is also a mature, oncourt leader and has a high bball IQ.

Jones’ 3 pt shooting has a ways to go but he’s improved it—as well as his FT shooting—every year. I can see that continuing to happen. Jones is in the Robert Covington mode.

Interesting to see Cam Thomas as high at 13 in The Ringer mock. (He’s not that high in most mock drafts I’ve seen.) I like Cam a lot. I’ve watched him take over games for LSU on the offensive end. Cam gets dinged for being little more than a scorer. But he’s a damn good shooter and all-around scorer.
bubba hotep
Freshman
And1: 29

Post#1588 » by bubba hotep » Sat Jun 5, 2021 5:04 pm

i'm not 100% sure if his release is high enough or if he's athletic enough for the NBA, but Jordan Schakel should be on our radar if we can acquire him with a 2nd round pick or as an UDFA. He's 6'6", can really stroke it and seems like a great, hardworking kid.

https://business.sdsu.edu/about/news/articles/2019/11/jordan-schakel-shooting-for-success
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jordan-schakel-1.html
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#1589 » by doclinkin » Sat Jun 5, 2021 5:07 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Also, I'm curious... The workout videos of Maker prepping for the draft, I thought were very intriguing, did anyone else find them interesting or impressive at all? I mean not just his skill, but the way he took instruction and his attitude were key for me as well. I'm just surprised by the lack of response, and I haven't seen him on any mocks either. I remember there was a lot of interest in Bol Bol as a high upside pick, but nothing for this guy? I guess it must be me. But I'd be interested in any feedback good or bad on him...

NBA DRAFT ROOM now does at least have his draft projection on his profile, although he's still not in their mock...

I think Makur Maker may be the exception among the Thon Maker, Bol Bol, Sudanese giant types. He is thicker and stronger than both, with a lower center of gravity, strong legs and has good footwork on the interior as well as a bit of a face-up game. He's an excellent gamble where he has been mocked (late, low, undrafted), and given that his team game is still developing, he may prove to have a bargain of a 2nd contract as a late developer. From here it looks like he thinks a little too highly of his guard skills, he's not a guard and his 1:2 asst to TO ratio proves it, but as a face-up 4/5 he should be a mismatch for some defenders. If he wants to get fancy with the ball I would want him drilling with Olajuwon, to learn the low post footwork and countermoves. He's burly enough that he should be able to bang with the best, and rebound as well, if he would commit to his inside game more than trying to bring the ball up the court that far. A tall dribble is always going to be vulnerable to pressure and steals.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#1590 » by Dat2U » Sat Jun 5, 2021 8:40 pm

I'm not high on Moody. I'm not a fan of wings that can't take more than two dribbles. Arvis Hayes. Cal Cheaney. Ben McLemore. Yeah I can see him sticking and having a long career but I don't see a difference maker.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1591 » by Ruzious » Sat Jun 5, 2021 9:59 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Trey Murphy III climbing up the mocks.... NBA DRAFT ROOM has him in 1st round. I listened to Chad Ford's Draft podcast today & has Murphy moving into his top 30 big board now.

He might be the #1 3 and D forward in the draft. That 7'1 wingspan will get him drafted in the 1st round, imo - not to mention his great 3 point shot. I'd like to see him get more physically tough.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1592 » by Ruzious » Sat Jun 5, 2021 10:10 pm

Interesting that they list Moody at 6'8. If he's really gotten that tall, that makes a difference - unless that's his wingspan, as well. I like his all-around potential. Pretty looking jumper, but like Dat said - so did Jarvis Hayes - it just didn't go in enough. He's one I gotta see how he measures.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#1593 » by prime1time » Sat Jun 5, 2021 10:39 pm

I like Moody, we need shooting and a sf.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#1594 » by doclinkin » Sat Jun 5, 2021 10:42 pm

Ruzious wrote:

He might be the #1 3 and D forward in the draft. That 7'1 wingspan will get him drafted in the 1st round, imo - not to mention his great 3 point shot. I'd like to see him get more physically tough.

I don't know much about his defense, but it is interesting to note that he is a late bloomer and may even be still growing, having added 5 inches and 40 lbs since he was a highschool senior. He likely doesn't know what he can and can't do with his new size. That suggests hidden upside to his skillset, to accompany that nice shooting touch. Once he stops growing tall he may begin to fill out with muscle. That's the Paul George model where you can steal a bargain who has not yet finished developing. His frame looks like it will take muscle weight well.

When a defensive oriented coach like Tony Bennet raves about his work ethic professionalism and character, then yeah I will take a second look for sure. The more I look the more it looks like his game and attitude would be an ideal fit next to Russ and Brad. Low ego, not a volume scorer, but a reliable wing forward who hits an outside shot when the ball finds him and who works hard in general without having to be pushed.

Honestly he looks like he has some of that Otto Porter thing in him. Efficient, savvy, low ego, but also less inclined to shoot unless he has a good shot. Not aggressive, doesn't seek contact, plays a bit finesse-y. Makes sense given that he came up as a skinny guard. Maybe as he builds weight he will learn he can finish through contact. Beal tended to fade from contact and hit the step back shots until he learned to attack it to earn free points at the line.

EDIT-- his defense looks like it improved significantly under Bennet. Which reminds me that Bennet would be awesome as a Wiz coaching candidate.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#1595 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Jun 6, 2021 12:15 am

doclinkin wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

I don't know much about his defense, but it is interesting to note that he is a late bloomer and may even be still growing, having added 5 inches and 40 lbs since he was a highschool senior. He likely doesn't know what he can and can't do with his new size. That suggests hidden upside to his skillset, to accompany that nice shooting touch. Once he stops growing tall he may begin to fill out with muscle. That's the Paul George model where you can steal a bargain who has not yet finished developing. His frame looks like it will take muscle weight well.

When a defensive oriented coach like Tony Bennet raves about his work ethic professionalism and character, then yeah I will take a second look for sure. The more I look the more it looks like his game and attitude would be an ideal fit next to Russ and Brad. Low ego, not a volume scorer, but a reliable wing forward who hits an outside shot when the ball finds him and who works hard in general without having to be pushed.

Honestly he looks like he has some of that Otto Porter thing in him. Efficient, savvy, low ego, but also less inclined to shoot unless he has a good shot. Not aggressive, doesn't seek contact, plays a bit finesse-y. Makes sense given that he came up as a skinny guard. Maybe as he builds weight he will learn he can finish through contact. Beal tended to fade from contact and hit the step back shots until he learned to attack it to earn free points at the line.

EDIT-- defense looks like it improved significantly under Bennet. Which reminds me that Bennet would be awesome as a Wiz coaching candidate.

Interesting video of 2 Sixers fans take on Trey Murphy...

NatP4
RealGM

Post#1596 » by NatP4 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 1:24 am

Ruzious wrote:Interesting that they list Moody at 6'8. If he's really gotten that tall, that makes a difference - unless that's his wingspan, as well. I like his all-around potential. Pretty looking jumper, but like Dat said - so did Jarvis Hayes - it just didn't go in enough. He's one I gotta see how he measures.

I like him a bit more than the other wing prospects simply because I’m confident he will make 3s at the NBA level and be 6’8 and decently athletic. He was thoroughly unimpressive in every game I watched, doesn’t have much of an impact on either end.

Some of these other guys can’t shoot, can’t defend, have tunnel vision, and little to no intangibles.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#1597 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Jun 6, 2021 1:51 am

doclinkin wrote:

I'd like it alright but given that many mocks have him late, I would like it more on a trade down for Trey plus more. If possible.

EDIT-- defense looks like it improved significantly under Bennet. Which reminds me that Bennet would be awesome as a Wiz coaching candidate.

Interesting video of 2 Sixers fans take on Trey Murphy...

[/quote]

Yeah, if there was someone at 15 they want to move up for, a trade down with NY (19 & 21) or Houston (23 & 24) could be worth a look.... I'd LOVE to come out with Butler & Murphy!

Yeah and as far as Bennett... if he ends up going back to school and playing for Bennett another year that wouldn't be a bad thing for him. But I don't see that happeing, somebody's going to take him in the 1st round.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1598 » by NatP4 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 3:02 am

Couple great scouting videos on Wagner&Giddey:

I just wanna get this on record again: Josh Giddey is going to be a star in the NBA. He’s a 6’8 Steve Nash. Sheppard should be locked in on trade up options to get him.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,888

Post#1599 » by TGW » Sun Jun 6, 2021 3:12 am

Murphy looks freakish. 6'9 with long arms and a shooting stroke.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#1600 » by prime1time » Sun Jun 6, 2021 10:08 am

prime1time wrote:I like Moody, we need shooting and a sf.

Moody's a solid shooter, tbh I like Murphy more. The Wizards simply have too many players that need the ball in their hands. In the modern NBA, you also need knock-down shooters to provide spacing. This is why Maxey even though he's not that good, was hard for us to stop. Because surrounding him was floor spacing. Why is Murphy a late first-round pick. 92.7% from the ft line, 43.3% from 3. Will he ever be an all-around scorer? Probably not. But that's irrelevant. The opportunity to draft a 3-point shooter who's not a complete liability defensively shouldn't be passed up. As much as we struggled shooting the ball this year, things can change very rapidly in the NBA. If Rui and Deni improve their 3-point shooting, plus Bryant Jr returning and we draft Moody, we now go from a team that lacks adequate floor spacing to a team that has good floor spacing.

From my perspective he's basically Cam Johnson. People hated on the pick, but look at how successful Phoenix is now. Two way, knock-down shooters are worth taking in the draft.

Return to Washington Wizards