ImageImageImageImageImage

Round 1, Game 7: Clippers vs. Mavericks: June 6, 12:30 PM PCT

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,072

Round 1, Game 7: Clippers vs. Mavericks: June 6, 12:30 PM PCT 

Post#1 » by Wammy Giveaway » Sat Jun 5, 2021 4:54 am

Two straight losses in Games 1 and 2 as the home team. Down 2-0 with a Game 3 loss on the horizon, ensuring an automatic series win by Mavericks. Not only did Clippers prevent the 3-0 lead, they came back to tie it.

Then in Game 5, a third straight playoff loss at home. Game 6, the road team won again, drawing a Game 7. It is the first time in NBA history that all six games were won by the road team en route to a seven game series. I wouldn't call this a curse breaker, but it is history, and defying the odds seems to be the way of the Clippers.

However, what the Clippers have done during the series feels very methodical. It almost feels as if they lost all their home games on purpose in an attempt to psyche out the Mavericks. Games 3, 4 and 6 were invitational games, the Clippers granting free reigns to be beaten, only for the Mavericks to get caught up in the delight of blowing up the Leonard-George experiment, wiping the front office slate clean, and setting them back 10 years or more in the lottery.

The Mav's failure to finish off the Clippers reveals Lue's true game plan: let the Mavericks defeat themselves. Given the Clipper's losing history and bad luck in the playoffs, he has opted for a possum strategy of sorts, faking defeat when necessary but going for the jugular at just the right moment. A task so difficult for all Clipper players present that Kawhi Leonard has been the only one to pull off a Michael Jordan-like performance. As a matter of fact, his Game 6 45-point outer is a new playoff career high, tying his regular season high two years ago as part of the Raptors. Another one may be necessary to advanced, and it may have to be the performance of all performances, a 100-point outing, surpassing Wilt "The Stilt" Chamberlain.

Game 7 is the ultimate game for the Clippers, with the following hanging in the balance:

A Win
- Gives the Clippers their first rematch win after having defeated an opponent in a previous meeting
- Sets up a date with Jazz, whom they are 0-3 against, and a franchise altering moment
- Gives the Clippers their first home playoff win since 2017
- Puts them one step closer towards a rematch with Nuggets or a revenge match by Suns and former Clipper Chris Paul

A Loss
- Marks the Mavs as 10th unique team to deny Clippers a conference finals berth
- Makes Clippers 1-7 in rematch games overall, and 0-3 in rematch games after having won in the previous meeting
RingColluder
Pro Prospect
And1: 240

Re: Round 1, Game 7: Clippers vs. Mavericks: June 6, 12:30 PM PCT 

Post#2 » by RingColluder » Sat Jun 5, 2021 6:39 am

Nothing would surprise me. But if Kawhi and Reggie Jackson don't combine for 60+ points we'll be in trouble. We got saved by their play in game 6, no one else can be relied on.

On the flip side, Porzingis has been awful. There really needs to be a change in how many players can get max contracts watching this series.
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 1,941

Post#3 » by Bobbymcgee » Sat Jun 5, 2021 7:05 am

Of course game 7 had to be an afternoon game.

Win or lose, at least its been a very entertaining series. But of course I am hoping for the Clippers W on Sunday.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#4 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Jun 5, 2021 12:25 pm

Damn shame we can’t feel like we are in control after forcing the Game 7. Even worse, that the lack of control we feel isn’t some testament to Dallas’s roster but our fear about what is between the ears of this team.

Key to me is picking spots/stretches for Kawhi to take Luka. I think too much of it may have a bad affect: 1) hurt his offense; 2) would actually give Luka possession after possession to settle into how the game would be played and start trying to draw fouls on him.

For whatever reason, Kawhi defense makes that kid more passive...less herky jerky.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Post#5 » by mttwlsn16 » Sat Jun 5, 2021 1:05 pm

I hate afternoon games. With 2 small kids, zero chance I'm able to sit in front of the TV for 2.5 hours nonstop.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,775

Post#6 » by RoyceDa59 » Sat Jun 5, 2021 1:06 pm

Clippers got this. Feel like Mavs had their chance in game 6.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Go Raps!!
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,191

Post#7 » by Clemenza » Sat Jun 5, 2021 6:47 pm

Lets get the win and close this out.

One a side note I hope we don't wear the Old English/East Los jerseys. They're nice but we really don't play well in them during the afternoon games.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#8 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Jun 5, 2021 6:51 pm

We’re going to have to overcome adversity to win a ring.

So, I dont care if Game 7 is at 8:30 in the morning.
We better not be the team playing like baby back bitches due to the time...the jersey...or whatever superstition we think may be affecting us.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,156

Post#9 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Jun 5, 2021 7:11 pm

This is by far the most important game in Paul George's career. Kawhi saved PG's legacy last night, but we can't count on that to happen again the same way.

PG needs to show up and actually play like a superstar with a $190 million contract tomorrow. If we get Playoff P again with the same turnovers and bricks, the season is probably over and he needs to be traded. No excuses.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#10 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Jun 5, 2021 7:26 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:This is by far the most important game in Paul George's career. Kawhi saved PG's legacy last night, but we can't count on that to happen again the same way.

PG needs to show up and actually play like a superstar with a $190 million contract tomorrow. If we get Playoff P again with the same turnovers and bricks, the season is probably over and he needs to be traded. No excuses.

Nah.

He melted Quarters 1-3.
But PG did his thing in the 4th. He got it together during money time.

The fact that he did gives me hope that he has some kinda sports psychologist and figured out his triggers etc. I thought his 4th Quarter was night and day from his 1-3.

I’m giving him credit for that.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#11 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Jun 5, 2021 7:35 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:This is by far the most important game in Paul George's career. Kawhi saved PG's legacy last night, but we can't count on that to happen again the same way.

Nah.

He melted Quarters 1-3.

The fact that he did gives me hope that he has some kinda sports psychologist and figured out his triggers etc. I thought his 4th Quarter was night and day from his 1-3.

He did contribute a bit in the 4th, and I'll give him some credit for that, but it doesn't excuse the totality of his performance in an elimination game. PG can't be doing this with the season on the line:

Read on Twitter

We wouldn't have needed a historic playoff performance from Kawhi to extend the series if PG hadn't spent the first three quarters turning it over, bricking, and looking like he didn't want to be there. To be fair, Kawhi himself looked passive and scared in the first quarter before he turned things around later in the game, which also made it more difficult. We need four strong quarters from both our stars tomorrow to close out the series.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#12 » by RingColluder » Sat Jun 5, 2021 7:57 pm

PG when it mattered most failed miserably last game and nearly tanked Kawhi's legacy along with it. As usual, this board is the only one even slightly defending his awful game meanwhile the main GT and all across the internet everyone laughs and makes fun of Playoff P. The worst and most fraudulent player in the playoffs today.

We lose round 1 OR round 2 regardless of his stats, he needs to get traded. Not only an awful fit for Kawhi, but we can't deal with someone with such low IQ in such a powerful position on the team.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#13 » by RingColluder » Sat Jun 5, 2021 7:59 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:

Nah.

He melted Quarters 1-3.

He did contribute a bit in the 4th, and I'll give him some credit for that, but it doesn't excuse the totality of his performance in an elimination game. PG can't be doing this with the season on the line:

Read on Twitter

We wouldn't have needed a historic playoff performance from Kawhi to extend the series if PG hadn't spent the first three quarters turning it over, bricking, and looking like he didn't want to be there. To be fair, Kawhi himself looked passive and scared in the first quarter before he turned things around later in the game, which also made it more difficult. We need four strong quarters from both our stars tomorrow to close out the series.

Farbod's comment is no surprise when you look at the stats I was posting the last 1-2 months of the season. Virtually EVERY PG game he had more turnovers than assists. WHY IS HE GETTING THE BALL SO MUCH??? WE HAVE REGGIE AND RONDO.

Absolutely disgusted. Anything less than a 40pt game with 1-2 TO's from PG for game 7 will not negate his awful play in this series as he does every playoff series.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#14 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Jun 5, 2021 8:05 pm

RingColluder wrote:The worst and most fraudulent player in the playoffs today.

That's a bit much. He hasn't been as bad as Randle, Porzingis, or Jimmy.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#15 » by RingColluder » Sat Jun 5, 2021 8:07 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
RingColluder wrote:The worst and most fraudulent player in the playoffs today.

That's a bit much. He hasn't been as bad as Randle, Porzingis, or Jimmy.

No one expected Randle or Porzingis to be the #2 and lead a team to the championship. Those were the expectations with a supposed top 15 player in PG who does it in the RS but chokes in the playoffs.

Jimmy I excuse bc of the minimal layoff between the bubble and now, and he carried the team on his back in the bubble.

Porzingis is a joke, but who expected much from him?

Randle I give a pass given he's on a team with limited talent and they overdelivered.

Being the #2 to Kawhi should be one of the easiest jobs given the style Kawhi plays with AND his ease in letting others do their thing. Instead we are a game away from utter disaster.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,420

Post#16 » by TrueLAfan » Sat Jun 5, 2021 8:11 pm

Thoughts/Concerns:

Can we hope for/get another good closing quarter out of the big 2? I’m aware of some of the, um commentary about Paul George’s fourth quarter play. And Kawhi has been truly great. But PG only suffers by comparison:

Code: Select all

MP  PTS  REB  AST  TO  STL  BLK  PF   FG%  3P%  FT%  +/-
Kawhi     52   40    9    5   3    1    0   6  .684 .444 .909  18         
PG13      64   39   23    5   5    2    4   3  .536 .364 .833  28

Per40, that puts Kawhi’s Q4 production at 30.7/6.9/3.8 and PG13 at 24.4/14.4/3.8 (with close to 3 blocks). I’m just going to say that fourth quarters of games in a playoff series are vital and that, right now we’re getting what we need to out of those two. But will we get it again? And who will be the #3 guy?

Right now, they’re averaging 56.6 points per game. That's enough. We’ll need that tomorrow. I’ll put the over/under around 55.

Morris and Rondo. We need at least one of them there, for different reasons. Morris can actually score—he did during the regular season at least. If he was comfortably in double figure, it would help a real whole lot.

I don’t know what to make of Rondo. Our problem with passing should have been solved with Rondo’s acquisition—except, somehow, a lot of other players have forgotten how to move the ball around. Reggie’s averaging less than an assist every 10 minutes. Bev hasn’t played much—but even when he’s played, he isn’t passing the ball. Can we get some perimeter shooting back? Can we swing it around if/when we do?

Reggie. The Wild Card. Played great in Game 6. Has had a strong series. Can he make it near or into double figures for one more game? Can he do it with decent efficiency. Again—it would help a lot.

Other bench players. It would be a great time for Serge Ibaka’s back to feel much better. Zu isn’t playing much, but he’s crushing on the boards when he’s on—we need that tomorrow. We need to keep them from having second chances.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#17 » by RingColluder » Sat Jun 5, 2021 8:19 pm

TrueLAfan wrote:Thoughts/Concerns:

Can we hope for/get another good closing quarter out of the big 2? I’m aware of some of the, um commentary about Paul George’s fourth quarter play. And Kawhi has been truly great. But PG only suffers by comparison:

Code: Select all

MP  PTS  REB  AST  TO  STL  BLK  PF   FG%  3P%  FT%  +/-
Kawhi     52   40    9    5   3    1    0   6  .684 .444 .909  18         
PG13      64   39   23    5   5    2    4   3  .536 .364 .833  28

Per40, that puts Kawhi’s Q4 production at 30.7/6.9/3.8 and PG13 at 24.4/14.4/3.8 (with close to 3 blocks). I’m just going to say that fourth quarters of games in a playoff series are vital and that, right now we’re getting what we need to out of those two. But will we get it again? And who will be the #3 guy?

Right now, they’re averaging 56.6 points per game. That's enough. We’ll need that tomorrow. I’ll put the over/under around 55.

Morris and Rondo. We need at least one of them there, for different reasons. Morris can actually score—he did during the regular season at least. If he was comfortably in double figure, it would help a real whole lot.

I don’t know what to make of Rondo. Our problem with passing should have been solved with Rondo’s acquisition—except, somehow, a lot of other players have forgotten how to move the ball around. Reggie’s averaging less than an assist every 10 minutes. Bev hasn’t played much—but even when he’s played, he isn’t passing the ball. Can we get some perimeter shooting back? Can we swing it around if/when we do?

Reggie. The Wild Card. Played great in Game 6. Has had a strong series. Can he make it near or into double figures for one more game? Can he do it with decent efficiency. Again—it would help a lot.

Other bench players. It would be a great time for Serge Ibaka’s back to feel much better. Zu isn’t playing much, but he’s crushing on the boards when he’s on—we need that tomorrow. We need to keep them from having second chances.

The sum of their entire game's need to be accounted for, not just the 4th. When people get into foul trouble, cause dumb turnovers, or just play awful early in the game, there is only one guy who has been carrying this team on his back in the early going WAY earlier than expected and that's Kawhi.

As said before, I have been so impressed with Reggie. If there's anyone I'm willing to rely on as a number 2 guy in this series consistently not just in quarter 4, but for the whole game it's him. Hopefully him and PG combined can equal a reliable "#2" with their "playmaking" and scoring. But even Reggie has been making way less dumb turnovers and mistakes in the RS than he usually does. At least someone else woke up besides Kawhi!
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#18 » by RingColluder » Sat Jun 5, 2021 8:20 pm

a great Doc quote and why I made the points I did in the G6 thread:

"Neubeck] Doc Rivers on idea of advancing past second round being a big marker for the franchise: “If your goal is to get out the second round, how low are your goals?…We want more, we want the entire cake, and you have to put your heart on the line to do that.”"

Anything less than a finals appearance needs the whole team to be blown up. We can't rely on Kawhi (and Reggie) saving us for the next _ many years. The team as constructed just does not work whatsoever.
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 893

Post#19 » by NickP » Sat Jun 5, 2021 8:46 pm

PG living rent free in people's heads. Gotta love that!
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#20 » by RingColluder » Sat Jun 5, 2021 9:09 pm

Looking forward to everyone watching the entire game and commenting on it! Love when true fans watch the first quarter to the fourth!

Return to Los Angeles Clippers