ImageImageImage

Ainge Retires - Stevens to Front Office - Celtics search for New Head Coach

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,641

Re: Ainge Retires - Stevens to Front Office - Celtics search for New Head Coach 

Post#1881 » by GoCeltics123 » Sat Jun 5, 2021 9:03 pm

Read on Twitter
moonie_mcgee
Starter
And1: 1,794

Post#1882 » by moonie_mcgee » Sat Jun 5, 2021 9:05 pm

gocelts wrote:Sam Cassell is the only one I want. He’s won here and is a competitor that hates to lose.

As a rookie coach, it will also provide ownership and Brad that built in excuse of “growing pains” to keep the high expectations off our fan base.

He just checks all the boxes and I’m sticking to that’s who we are waiting for.

With all respect, i agree but why want this?
Dont you want high expectations?
That's the Way of the World
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,276

Post#1883 » by celticfan42487 » Sat Jun 5, 2021 9:06 pm

NuckyPowell wrote:What does jobbers mean?

In the professional wrestling world jobbers exsist to make the stars look good. They're the guys that take the punches from the Hulk Hogans and jump off the matt and hurt themselves doing so but do it in a way that makes it looks like it's the force from Hogan's punch that cause that effect.

It's a low paying, thankless task of someone who had a dream of making it big and being a star but is fated to never earn any real money, fame, or success.

Kind of like the Bobcats/Hornets organization.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#1884 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sat Jun 5, 2021 9:10 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Good. Please hire him.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1885 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sat Jun 5, 2021 9:16 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:
ajones9219 wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:I’m liking Udoka, Lawson and Hammon.. would love to hear anything about why Lloyd Pierce is still so respected when McMillan got the same roster to play so much better.

Im not pulling for Pierce to get the job but he got a raw deal. Dealt with a huge slew of injuries that basically resolved itself right after he got canned. The injuries made it look a LOT worse than it was.

This piece also brings up the issue that Pierce was giving a young team a lot of freedom (to screw up) and that they’ve done better because McMillan has provided more structure:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/4/15/22385033/atlanta-hawks-trae-young-nate-mcmillan

Trae Young has a strong personality type [I’d say he’s a dick, personally] that clashed with Pierce. Jaylen and Jayson arent built the same way.
NuckyPowell
General Manager
And1: 9,534

Post#1886 » by NuckyPowell » Sat Jun 5, 2021 9:36 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
NuckyPowell wrote:What does jobbers mean?

In the professional wrestling world jobbers exsist to make the stars look good. They're the guys that take the punches from the Hulk Hogans and jump off the matt and hurt themselves doing so but do it in a way that makes it looks like it's the force from Hogan's punch that cause that effect.

It's a low paying, thankless task of someone who had a dream of making it big and being a star but is fated to never earn any real money, fame, or success.

Kind of like the Bobcats/Hornets organization.

Thanks, now it makes sense. I had never heard the term before a couple of days ago.
NuckyPowell
General Manager
And1: 9,534

Post#1887 » by NuckyPowell » Sat Jun 5, 2021 9:37 pm

I know it's part of the process, but interviewing Celtics assistant coaches seems entirely pointless for Stevens. He works with them every day and knows exactly what they bring to the table. An interview would not change his opinion about them one bit.
Bohemian
Analyst
And1: 3,308

Post#1888 » by Bohemian » Sat Jun 5, 2021 9:39 pm

Do we know who's already been interviewed by Brad apart from his former colleagues?
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#1889 » by GoGreen » Sat Jun 5, 2021 9:39 pm

Cassell or Billups PLEASE
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#1890 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Jun 5, 2021 9:41 pm

So why does Young get along with McMillan?
Bohemian
Analyst

Post#1891 » by Bohemian » Sat Jun 5, 2021 9:42 pm

GoGreen wrote:Cassell or Billups PLEASE

Stars want to play for Kidd, so maybe we should sign him. He's respected, has coaching experience and he could lure some players.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,276

Post#1892 » by celticfan42487 » Sat Jun 5, 2021 9:48 pm

I think it's impossible to get a coach that will be better at organizing, gameplanning before and during games, and doing Xs and Os than Stevens.

Stevens over achieved every year with the team and talent he had and often in extremely dramatic fashion before Irving joined and poisoned the locker room. Guys like Smart and Tatum Sing his D was not a good sign and I think the 2 years of Irving did irrevocable damage to them as young impressionable players ruining their chance to become professionals (team wise not self invested wise).

It was great seeing Jaylen Brown back then and even today standing up against Irving and calling him out publicly for his lack of professionalism and all his bull.

But the dye has been cast, so while I think a merits based reason can never be found for someone better than Stevens we might as well get a dummy that is a doormat to players and will kiss babies/make reporters laugh in the mold of a Doc Rivers guy.

My vote goes to whomever Tatum and Brown can agree on. Tatum will probably go more Ty Lue/ Nash puppet and I'm guessing Jaylen doesn't know **** about coaching in the NBA either but at least he'll want to satisfy some advancement for the black community.

So yeah whatever makes the Jays happy is what I vote we go with. They aren't going to be better at Xs and Os than Brad or adjustments so don't even bother there as likely they'll be far worse. There are many reasons both Ainge and Brad were considered top 5 in their positions for years by everyone other than like 2 posters on this board.

Just get someone as a coach that the Jays say they want and then they'll blame and throw under the bus like LeBron/KD/Irving do and you'll fire in 2 years for the next guy they say they want.

Save the serious good coaches when we're rebuilding again as you'll get a chance for them to be considered apart of the culture and able to assert themselves like Brad was with the IT/Bradley/Crowder/Horford years and kept it up until he ran into the culture destroying garbage that was Irving who had all control and used it the only way someone like him is capable of.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,377

Post#1893 » by threrf23 » Sat Jun 5, 2021 10:20 pm

Personally, I'd definitely give an interview to Ime Udoka, and he might even be my first choice. Three years playing for Pop, seven years coaching under pop, opportunity to learn from Steve Nash and Mike D'Antoni this year. Other teams have considered him as a top HC candidate, but none have pulled the trigger. He also has experience playing for Nate McMillan and Phil Jackson (very briefly). As far as coaches are concerned, the best of the best seem to like having him around. In the one or two interviews I pulled up, he came off as a good communicator.

I'd give an interview to David Vanterpool. Dame credits him with turning him into a leader. He comes off as confident if not also in command in interviews. Worst case, he has Dame's endorsement, which means he would command respect from our players.

I'd give an interview to Kara Lawson if she wanted one. She seems highly regarded as a basketball mind, at quick glance I think she shows a decent blend of leadership and communication, and our players seemed to like and respect her while she was here. Worst case, we would be doing her a favor by boosting her profile.

I'm not a big fan of other names which have been mentioned (although I'm not necessarily against most of them). Lloyd Pierce in particular - doesn't come too close to selling his leadership and knowledge in interviews, not a great track record as HC of the Hawks (although I'd be reluctant to make too much of this season), didn't have a great resume before being named HC of the Hawks. He hadn't served as an assistant under any real noteworthy HCs, the only franchise he had stuck with was the Sixers, and that was during their tanking years.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1894 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sat Jun 5, 2021 10:52 pm

Bohemian wrote:

Stars want to play for Kidd, so maybe we should sign him. He's respected, has coaching experience and he could lure some players.

He’s a **** coach and a **** person. Pass.
Jakeopp
General Manager
And1: 9,957

Post#1895 » by Jakeopp » Sat Jun 5, 2021 11:04 pm

Bohemian wrote:

Nice try LeBron
Bohemian
Analyst

Post#1896 » by Bohemian » Sat Jun 5, 2021 11:08 pm

Jakeopp wrote:
Bohemian wrote:

Nice try LeBron

:lol:
MaxwellSmart
Head Coach
And1: 2,098

Post#1897 » by MaxwellSmart » Sat Jun 5, 2021 11:54 pm

Jason Kidd always reminds me of Curly Howard.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,641

Post#1898 » by GoCeltics123 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 12:05 am

Read on Twitter
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#1899 » by djFan71 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 1:16 am

GoCeltics123 wrote:
Read on Twitter

My first choice would be something like this - pair a really good former head coach with a Cassell/Howard type.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#1900 » by JediMasterRevan » Sun Jun 6, 2021 2:26 am

djFan71 wrote:
GoCeltics123 wrote:
Read on Twitter

My first choice would be something like this - pair a really good former head with a Cassell/Howard type.

Cassell with Stots as an assistant would be pretty damn great.

Return to Boston Celtics