ImageImageImageImageImage

Rank these former Raptors from most deserving to least deserving of their Jersey being retired?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,186

Rank these former Raptors from most deserving to least deserving of their Jersey being retired? 

Post#1 » by D.Brasco » Sun Jun 6, 2021 2:16 am

Vince Carter, Chris Bosh, Demar Derozen and Kawhi Leonard.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,332

Re: Rank these former Raptors from most deserving to least deserving of their Jersey being retired? 

Post#2 » by OakleyDokely » Sun Jun 6, 2021 2:17 am

Kawhi, Vince, Demar, Bosh
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,462
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Re: Rank these former Raptors from most deserving to least deserving of their Jersey being retired? 

Post#3 » by SharoneWright » Sun Jun 6, 2021 2:32 am

Vince
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
T0R0NT0_RAPT0RS
Analyst
And1: 1,266
Location: [STH] Toronto, ON = ah.. the memories of 500 level seats at skydome...

Post#4 » by T0R0NT0_RAPT0RS » Sun Jun 6, 2021 2:34 am

OakleyDokely wrote:Kawhi, Vince, Demar, Bosh
Yup
Blood Orange
Sixth Man
And1: 2,795

Post#5 » by Blood Orange » Sun Jun 6, 2021 2:37 am

Deebo, Lenny, Vincent, Boshosaurus
RealGM
And1: 66,425

Post#6 » by 720 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 2:47 am

Kawhi, Demar, Vince, Bosh.

Bosh shouldn’t get his jersey retired. Vince too imo.
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,102

Post#7 » by duppyy » Sun Jun 6, 2021 2:57 am

Only Kawhi should be retired from that list.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,001

Post#8 » by Chandan » Sun Jun 6, 2021 3:08 am

Vince is the reason there are like ten players from Ontario that made the playoffs with their respective teams.

He still represents raptors way more than Kawhi. You don't retire the jersey of someone who wasn't willing to defend the ship.

Vince, Demar, kawhi, bosh
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,537

Post#9 » by C_Money » Sun Jun 6, 2021 3:13 am

None of them
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,490

Post#10 » by Bruin » Sun Jun 6, 2021 3:18 am

Kawhi, Vince, Demar, Bosh

Lowry gets his retired before any of them tho. 7 gotta be the first raptor jersey retired
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,298

Post#11 » by Parataxis » Sun Jun 6, 2021 3:21 am

None of them. But if I had to choose

Demar, Vince, Bosh, Kawhi.

Loyalty matters, tenure matters.
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,768

Post#12 » by Los_29 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 3:37 am

I think we should show this franchise a little bit more respect than retiring someone's jersey who played a single season here. :lol: Has that ever happened in the history of sports? A player getting his jersey retired after only one season and then bouncing the first chance he got?

Kawhi was instrumental in bringing a championship here but in order to get your jersey retired you gotta put in work.

You can make a case for Demar getting his jersey retired but I can't see much of a case for VC or Bosh. They just didn't have the team success and they left on bad terms.
NinjaBro
RealGM
And1: 41,922

Post#13 » by NinjaBro » Sun Jun 6, 2021 3:51 am

C_Money wrote:None of them

This is the only correct answer, although I will be fine with Demar getting in.

Demar

Kawhi

Vince

Bosh
canada_dry
Head Coach
And1: 5,195

Post#14 » by canada_dry » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:03 am

Of all these guys the only guy whos jersey i am 100% convinced will be retired is demars. So going off that:

Demar
Kawhi
Vince
Bosh

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
PerfectJab
Veteran
And1: 1,349

Post#15 » by PerfectJab » Sun Jun 6, 2021 5:35 am

Derozan, Carter, Bosh, Leonard

With only Derozan actually deserving of having his jersey retired. Obviously Lowry is a shoo-in.

IMO tenure and loyalty should play a huge part. In fact the retiring of one's jersey is representative of LOYALTY from the franchise when you really think about it. It is something permanent.

To have Leonard's jersey retired based on the 1 great season would be embarrassing to be honest. It's almost like conceding the fact that the team will never win a championship again. There are other ways to honor him without demeaning the standards of jersey retirement this much.

Skill level plays a part as well which is why I put VC in front of Bosh but am consistent in terms of what I believe should be the number one factor given what jersey retirement represents.
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,688

Post#16 » by Clay Davis » Sun Jun 6, 2021 5:56 am

Demar (I feel 100% about retiring 10) -- Rangz culture is toxic. It reinforces the notion that there's no point being the best you can be since it's not better than someone else's best. Imagine telling kids that there's nothing they can learn from sports since they weren't born genetically gifted like Lebron or aren't as smart as Kyle Lowry.

The argument could then switch forms: as professionals, is there really anything that we ought to be satisfied, other than the best? Was Microsoft ever happy having less than the lion's share of the market? Was Napoleon ever happy aiming at anything less than being the ruler of the civilized world?

The We The North era was (is?) an unprecedented stretch of consistent success for this franchise. It wasn't the mountaintop but it got people excited about this franchise. It was the first time that, as a franchise, we were able to think "Hey, we're not contenders. We're pretenders.". It's not much of a step from "Hey, we're not contenders. Why not?", which leads us to "Hey, we're not contenders, but we can be.".

People have this image of success as being like what the Brooklyn Nets or the Lakers have accomplished quite recently: to go from the bottom of the barrel to the cream of the crop with a minimum amount of time spent in between.

How long ago was it that the Warriors were a garbage team whose "star" point guard was a borderline all-star (at best) playing on glass ankles? The journey to the top is sometimes non-linear and usually not completely predictable. There are always moments of doubt (which makes the whole affair exciting). For us, consistent success (even if it wasn't the premiere success) was a turning point for our franchise. Demar represented the ethos we had and lived it. He was the first star player we had who actually loved this city.

Kawhi (I feel 75% about retiring 2) -- Rangz culture is definitely toxic, but winning a championship is the ultimate accomplishment in this sport for a reason. It requires sacrifice and ability. Obviously, Kawhi is a player who is almost without peer. I disagree with the idea that he just came here as a hired gun and won it all without any sentimentality. He clearly enjoyed playing with who we put on the court and made sacrifices; I remember watching him limping during the Milwaukee series, and he was clearly not 100% against the Warriors. Not many rentals would be willing to go out on his shield the way that he was during those series. If all he cared about was competing, he would've just preserved his body for a run in LA and not taken the chance failing with us.

Vince (I feel 12.5% about retiring 15) -- Let's be honest: Vince didn't really accomplish much more than Demar, despite being a better player. Sure, he was surrounded by worse basketball talents (both on the business side of things and the on-court side of things), so there's some leeway to be made, but he didn't really raise this franchise to new heights (heh) in any manner beyond being his individual prowess. The Vince Carter years are remembered as exactly that: the "Vince Carter years". There's no mention of it being a magnificent period for the Toronto Raptors. It was the Vince Carter Show, and we were the team providing him a platform. Still, he did provide some electrifying moments and got people in this city interested in the sport, but it's frankly trivializing the accomplishments of the above two to put him in the same tier. I've also been very generous, in my opinion: I didn't talk about him literally quitting on this team (statements made 10 years after the fact don't change how unprofessional he was.).

Bosh (I feel like there's literally no reason to retire his number) -- Bosh was pretty talented, but being talented isn't reason alone for us to retire a number. It's debatable whether or not he was a true superstar and, even then, he accomplished basically nothing with this franchise.
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
Cael
Junior
And1: 458

Post#17 » by Cael » Sun Jun 6, 2021 6:33 am

Parataxis wrote:None of them. But if I had to choose

Demar, Vince, Bosh, Kawhi.

Loyalty matters, tenure matters.

Facts only.
Starr1
General Manager
And1: 6,012

Post#19 » by Starr1 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 9:39 am

Demar will be first and the last for me... I won't even bother with rest.
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,102

Post#20 » by duppyy » Sun Jun 6, 2021 12:10 pm

Might as well hang up lebrons jersey if you gonna retire demar. He couldn’t get over the lebron hump. I appreciate his loyalty but after winning a chip retiring people’s jersey that couldn’t get us one seems crazy to me.

Return to Toronto Raptors