ImageImageImage

Ainge Retires - Stevens to Front Office - Celtics search for New Head Coach

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

SLCceltic
Veteran
And1: 1,680

Re: Ainge Retires - Stevens to Front Office - Celtics search for New Head Coach 

Post#1901 » by SLCceltic » Sun Jun 6, 2021 2:36 am

Not sure if he has been mentioned but Kenny Atkinson is certainly worth bringing in for an interview ....I have always liked his teams
ROYALGREEN
Garbanzo
Junior
And1: 398

Post#1902 » by Garbanzo » Sun Jun 6, 2021 3:42 am

Andrew McCeltic wrote:
ajones9219 wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:I’m liking Udoka, Lawson and Hammon.. would love to hear anything about why Lloyd Pierce is still so respected when McMillan got the same roster to play so much better.

Im not pulling for Pierce to get the job but he got a raw deal. Dealt with a huge slew of injuries that basically resolved itself right after he got canned. The injuries made it look a LOT worse than it was.

This piece also brings up the issue that Pierce was giving a young team a lot of freedom (to screw up) and that they’ve done better because McMillan has provided more structure:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/4/15/22385033/atlanta-hawks-trae-young-nate-mcmillan

And that's why I think Brad likes him.
Anyway Pierce's offensive philosophy is more rigid than Brad's and it may work well for the Celtics.
I hope Cassel will be the next HC, but wouldn't mind Pierce or Billups.
batabatuta
Pro Prospect
And1: 755

Post#1903 » by batabatuta » Sun Jun 6, 2021 3:42 am

It's kinda obvious but nonetheless needs to be said; Superteams are here to stay. Long after Lebron is gone, all-stars will still find a way to team up, either because they want to or because they have no choice. Eventually, in the near future, small-market teams will give in and we will be left with a few teams but with stacked rosters. The only way to win a championship these days is to build, at the very least, our own Big three. Right now, we got Tatum and Brown. We need a third option and surround these three with a tall and well-oiled supporting cast. We need tall shooters and big defenders. The sooner we do, the better we are.
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#1904 » by GoGreen » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:25 am

Lloyd would be a bad hire imo. This team needs someone with cache. Apparently players stopped listening to him in Atlanta and that's a bad look. Cassell and Billups have great reputations, and have won at the highest level. They should be the absolute, no brain hires to consider right now.
Triple M
General Manager
And1: 2,798

Post#1905 » by Triple M » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:27 am

Lawson
Cassell
Billups
Stackhouse

I would love any of the 4. I don't know any of them beneath the surface, but I feel Lawson and Billups have a general intelligence that can fit with Brad.
NuckyPowell
General Manager
And1: 9,659

Post#1906 » by NuckyPowell » Sun Jun 6, 2021 5:19 am

I don't think all so called retreads should be dismissed out of hand. To me, the measure of the coach is how he did with the perceived talent he had. Did he overachieve, underachieve, or do about what you'd expect with the talent level he had. I kind of think that Steve Clifford never had much talent to work with in Charlotte or Orlando. I think he might be worth considering.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,232

Post#1907 » by djFan71 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 7:11 am

So.... coach Bud as an assistant? Can’t imagine he is back next year in MIL, unless harden can’t go.
Bohemian
Analyst
And1: 3,308

Post#1908 » by Bohemian » Sun Jun 6, 2021 10:01 am

I wish we had any insider info :wink:
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#1909 » by cloverleaf » Sun Jun 6, 2021 10:03 am

Garbanzo wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:
ajones9219 wrote:
Im not pulling for Pierce to get the job but he got a raw deal. Dealt with a huge slew of injuries that basically resolved itself right after he got canned. The injuries made it look a LOT worse than it was.

This piece also brings up the issue that Pierce was giving a young team a lot of freedom (to screw up) and that they’ve done better because McMillan has provided more structure:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/4/15/22385033/atlanta-hawks-trae-young-nate-mcmillan

Anyway Pierce's offensive philosophy is more rigid than Brad's and it may work well for the Celtics.

Why would we want a guy who couldn't give a young team enough structure?
jonige94
Senior
And1: 631

Post#1910 » by jonige94 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 10:05 am

Hope they dont hire a coach just because they have a certain skin colour or gender, i want them to hire the most competent person regardless of what physical attributes they have.
Bohemian
Analyst
And1: 3,308

Post#1911 » by Bohemian » Sun Jun 6, 2021 11:11 am

Maybe Brad is waiting for Clippers or Sixers to be eliminated. Apparently we can't talk to Billups or Cassell as long as their season is still in play, right?
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#1912 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sun Jun 6, 2021 11:18 am

SLCceltic wrote:Not sure if he has been mentioned but Kenny Atkinson is certainly worth bringing in for an interview ....I have always liked his teams

Yah, Kyrie and KD pushing for him to get fired after half a season tells me he’s not the coach were looking for.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#1913 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sun Jun 6, 2021 11:19 am

jonige94 wrote:Hope they dont hire a coach just because they have a certain skin colour or gender, i want them to hire the most competent person regardless of what physical attributes they have.

Who have we been discussing that isnt qualified for the role? I think we all know what youre doing here.
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,125

Post#1914 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Sun Jun 6, 2021 11:30 am

jonige94 wrote:Hope they dont hire a coach just because they have a certain skin colour or gender, i want them to hire the most competent person regardless of what physical attributes they have.

First of all, being black isn’t merely possessing the “physical attribute” of having dark skin, but understanding what it’s like to live in America with dark skin.

The goal here is to win basketball games, and if a white guy is the best choice, so be it. But the point people are making is that hiring a coach who can establish a good connection with the team’s black players is an extremely important factor — especially with Boston’s reputation, as recently exacerbated.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,648

Post#1915 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Jun 6, 2021 11:31 am

Whoever it is, it's gonna be a cheapo hire imo. So I don't expect retreads/big names who demand big $$. I also don't expect veteran well-paid assistants to come aboard. They couldn't fire Stevens since he's on an extension. Dunno Danny's contract situation when he was let go, but I think making Brad the POBO was a financial move more than anything.

Biggest factor for me in the coach hire is ability to draw/retain star players. If that's a thing. Stars run the league.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,905

Post#1916 » by Parliament10 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 11:50 am

Officially Warned.
This is Prejudicial, and goes against our Zero Tolerance policy.

~ Parl
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 10,938

Post#1917 » by Fierce1 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 12:25 pm

How about Brad Stevens hiring Danny Ainge as coach?
:P
BleedGreen1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,776

Post#1918 » by BleedGreen1989 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 12:39 pm

Bohemian wrote:Maybe Brad is waiting for Clippers or Sixers to be eliminated. Apparently we can't talk to Billups or Cassell as long as their season is still in play, right?

Agreed.

I’m not sure if it’s like the NFL where guys are interviewing leading up to the Super Bowl for example. Always found that strange.
Theocy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,428

Post#1919 » by Theocy » Sun Jun 6, 2021 1:13 pm

Parliament10 wrote:

Officially Warned.
This is Prejudicial, and goes against our Zero Tolerance policy.

~ Parl

? That post is by definition not prejudicial. Are we saying we hire someone because of skin colour?
Garbanzo
Junior
And1: 398

Post#1920 » by Garbanzo » Sun Jun 6, 2021 1:13 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
Garbanzo wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:

Why would we want a guy who couldn't give a young team enough structure?

I think he could have managed to do so with more time and less injuries.
And the Celtics have more offensive talent than Atlanta, with Tatum, Brown Kemba and Fournier.
With so much given offensive talent, it's good to have someone with open offensive structure. Especially if his philosophy is open, but not as open as Brad's.
English is not my first language, sorry if I'm not clear enough.

Anyway as I said he is not my favorite..
I think he may be Brad's favorite though.. Thats what I was trying to say..
Maybe Uduka will fit better. But still Cassel is my favorite because Billups has no coaching experience but being with the Clippers last year.

The unknown about those guys is greater than what we do know..

Return to Boston Celtics