Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Hussien Fatal
Veteran
And1: 1,381

Tyrese Maxey as a Starter Next Season? 

Post#1 » by Hussien Fatal » Wed May 19, 2021 11:24 am

His numbers in 8 games starting this year

19ppg 4rpg 4asp 31mpg 50%fg 33%3pt 85%ft

Pretty impressive and with a full off season he will be a whole lot better. Does this catch traction by next Season?
They call me Hussien Fatal its a two game table im robbin you **** cradle wit a knife in your navel....
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Re: Tyrese Maxey as a Starter Next Season? 

Post#2 » by Foshan » Wed May 19, 2021 11:46 am

I don't think so. Unless the playoffs go REAL bad and they make big moves.

I think Maxey/Reed develop into an off the bench combo that get a lot of minutes, but don't start.

If the playoffs go epically bad, like move Ben bad, then maybe.
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 806

Post#3 » by zaz102 » Wed May 19, 2021 12:15 pm

He should be a starter in the league, but not next year unless he gets traded to a bad team. My hope would be for him to become our sixth man by the end of next season.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,766

Post#4 » by HotelVitale » Wed May 19, 2021 12:44 pm

Eh, he also played 53 games as a reserve and averaged 6/1/1 on 51% TS. Unless you really think he morphs from bad of promising player to genuine stud any game he happens to play at the beginning of, seems more likely that he just had a few good games as a starter which are controlling those averages. Also remember those games have been weird—his first 40 pt game was a huge blowout the Sixers had no chance of winning, his last big game was against the Magic’s b-squad, etc.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,418

Post#5 » by Eyeamok » Wed May 19, 2021 1:34 pm

HotelVitale wrote:Eh, he also played 53 games as a reserve and averaged 6/1/1 on 51% TS. Unless you really think he morphs from bad of promising player to genuine stud any game he happens to play at the beginning of, seems more likely that he just had a few good games as a starter which are controlling those averages. Also remember those games have been weird—his first 40 pt game was a huge blowout the Sixers had no chance of winning, his last big game was against the Magic’s b-squad, etc.

The thing with Maxey, and he may not be a starter next season, but the guy is growing in leaps and bounds. His last game, at times, was against the Magic's b-squad, but his ability to get to the basket has improved, his shooting has improved, his passing has improved he has traded in his favorite floater for a true shot. The man seems to be improving with each game. All in a season where practice time was at a minimum and on a team trying to win it all now. Not bad Maxey not bad at all.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,692

Post#6 » by rzzzzz » Wed May 19, 2021 1:40 pm

Man, we got too much left on the plate for this season before figuring next year’s rotation. But I agree with the notion that he could have finished the year starting for one of the lottery teams.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,703

Post#7 » by the_process » Wed May 19, 2021 2:10 pm

I think in a ideal scenario, Maxey improves enough to take over the 6th man role from Milton next year, and then continues that improvement into the starting lineup in Year 3. But there are a lot of moving pieces going on.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Post#8 » by youngcrev » Wed May 19, 2021 2:22 pm

I don't think it's very likely, mostly because this team is in contend mode and won't want the uncertainty, but not impossible.

It'll be interesting to see if Doc gives him any run in the playoffs if they struggle to create on offense.

He'd have to make some sizable improvement to his jumper to be a quality fit with Ben and Jo, but we shall see.

I think him being traded for a starter is more likely than him being a starter for this team next year.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,742

Post#9 » by Negrodamus » Wed May 19, 2021 2:38 pm

He needs to be either a much better off the dribble shooter from deep, draws a ton of fouls at a good rate, or improve his defense substantially to be a starter next year. Not impossible (especially the second one), but I'm giving him more runway than that.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,416

Post#10 » by 76ciology » Thu May 20, 2021 6:30 am

The only way this happens is Maxey turns into a star caliber guard, like when we did with Jimmy, that he can be so good that you’d restructure this thing we’ve worked on with both Biid and Ben where they’re both surrounded by shooters than playmakers.

Until then, starting Maxey would just do him more good than for the team.

So it’s pretty much..

If Maxey turns into a star caliber guard, 2018-2019 sixers model

If Maxey does not turn into a star caliber guard, continue with this 2017-2018 Sixers model

How likely can Maxey turm into a star caliber guard? I dont think it’s very likely for next season.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
PhillyNj
Sixth Man
And1: 535

Re: Tyrese Maxey as a Starter Next Seaso 

Post#11 » by PhillyNj » Thu May 20, 2021 6:26 pm

Maxey has been a pleasant surprise but to think he’s gonna start next year is just ridiculous. He’s 20 years old. He’s just not ready.A year as the backup could possibly, if everything goes perfectly, get him ready to start in 2022.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Post#12 » by Kobblehead » Fri May 21, 2021 12:37 pm

We don't even know if he's going to crack the playoff rotation yet. If we see him in 25mpg+ this playoffs and he balls out (14+ ppg), I think there's a legitimate conversation to have regarding if he should start next year.
Monix
Pro Prospect
And1: 660

Post#13 » by Monix » Fri May 21, 2021 4:46 pm

If he plays 25+ mpg it's likely a sign that the shooters (Curry, Milton, Korkmaz, Hill) are struggling and it'll be a short run this postseason anyway.
Hussien Fatal
Veteran

Post#14 » by Hussien Fatal » Sun Jun 6, 2021 10:06 am

He needs to play atleast 30mpg next year. This kid is improving at a rate we haven’t seen since Joel Embiid came into the league.

If he isn’t a starter he will be the 6th man by next season, he’s already jumped Shake in the rotation who is now very expendable. Tyrese seems to impact the game like no many other on the team can. He is super fast and his handles are great. He needs way more minutes next year
They call me Hussien Fatal its a two game table im robbin you **** cradle wit a knife in your navel....
LeTimmAy
Freshman
And1: 41

Post#15 » by LeTimmAy » Sun Jun 6, 2021 11:08 am

Shake is not redundant, but he needs to find his shot again and be a secondary /tertiary ballhandler and a primary shooter. That's it. You cannot have enough of guys like him. And he's the best ballhandler of our shooters.
Hussien Fatal
Veteran

Post#16 » by Hussien Fatal » Sun Jun 6, 2021 11:34 am

LeTimmAy wrote:Shake is not redundant, but he needs to find his shot again and be a secondary /tertiary ballhandler and a primary shooter. That's it. You cannot have enough of guys like him. And he's the best ballhandler of our shooters.

I disagree I think Seth is the best ball handler of our shooters. Shake has kinda been exposed as a clear weakness, teams when they game plan for his actions off the bench he becomes almost useless. He couldn’t even take advantage of ish and Neto.

He is very expendable.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,898

Post#17 » by kuclas » Sun Jun 6, 2021 11:51 am

Maxey will be the 6th man 20-25 min off the bench next season. It’s his shot that’s holding him back. But I feel the more minutes he plays. The more confidence he gets. Ben can play more of the 4 position when maxey is in the game. We have desperately needed a second ball handler who can create off the dribble last 2 seasons.

All these Kentucky guards who come into the nba can play. Something about the Kentucky program.

Look at the history of Kentucky the last 10 years of Kentucky guards.

There are some very productive Kentucky guards!

https://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-basketball-men/article247209841.html
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Post#18 » by Kobblehead » Sun Jun 6, 2021 11:59 am

Coach Cal knows what he's doing when it comes to the bluechip prospects he targets. He gets guys that can dribble, first and foremost. Even if they can't shoot in some cases or are bad defenders in some cases. Either way, the most important trait is scoring off the dribble and Cal recognizes this.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,898

Post#19 » by kuclas » Sun Jun 6, 2021 1:02 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Coach Cal knows what he's doing when it comes to the bluechip prospects he targets. He gets guys that can dribble, first and foremost. Even if they can't shoot in some cases or are bad defenders in some cases. Either way, the most important trait is scoring off the dribble and Cal recognizes this.

It’s just an amazing list of guards since Cal took over the Kentucky program in 2009. Almost everyone of the first round guards are still playing and starting in the nba since the 2010 nba draft.

While Lowry would have been better player now for playoffs. Maxey is going to be a significant contributor moving forward. Toronto got greedy. I don’t know what the best and final offer for Lowry was. But maxey was involved and raptors gm wanted more.
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 581

Post#20 » by blargh » Sun Jun 6, 2021 1:26 pm

I think Cal also realizes that the best way to make an impact as a one-and-done prospect is if you can get your own shot. No complicated offense necessary. It works out for the blue chipper, it works out for Kentucky, and it works for the NBA team drafting. It’s not a great developmental situation for the non-blue-chipper.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers