ImageImageImageImageImage

Rank these former Raptors from most deserving to least deserving of their Jersey being retired?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Tofubeque
RealGM
And1: 14,185

Re: Rank these former Raptors from most deserving to least deserving of their Jersey being retired? 

Post#21 » by Tofubeque » Sun Jun 6, 2021 12:16 pm

Vince, Demar >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kawhi, Bosh
props Turbozone
RyderMike
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,799

Re: Rank these former Raptors from most deserving to least deserving of their Jersey being retired? 

Post#22 » by RyderMike » Sun Jun 6, 2021 12:35 pm

The only one I see happening is Demar #10.

No one has worn 10 since Demar (granted it has only been 3 seasons).
One player has worn 2 since Kawhi (Jalen Harris)
Four players have worn #4 since Bosh (Quincy Acy, Luis Scola, Lorenzo Brown, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson)
Five players have worn #15 since Carter (Jorge Garbajosa, Amir Johnson , Anthony Bennett, Eric Moreland, Greg Monroe)
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,879

Post#25 » by agkagk » Sun Jun 6, 2021 2:33 pm

Mercenaries don’t get their jerseys retired.

Demar yes
Vince maybe
Bosh and kawhi giant no’s
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,658

Post#26 » by hype_2004 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 2:40 pm

Demar bled purple and red, he did not waver and was loyal to the end. He represented himself in this city and adopted it. H might not have the talent of a Kawhi or Vince but as far as being a Raptor tenure and passion ranks high on my list ahead of any accomplishment, Vince was the show, Kawhi was the ultimate price but DeMar was this city!
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,497

Post#28 » by dagger » Sun Jun 6, 2021 3:17 pm

Vince and DeMar. Vince put us on the map, and I still think his 48 point playoff game against the Sixers was the single greatest playoff performance of a Raptor to date. Demar, because he was a multi-year all-star who was critical to our rise to perennial playoff status. I wouldn't let anyone wear #2 for a long time, but I wouldn't retire it. I am inclined not to retire #4, but when he gets into the Hall of Fame, if he gives the Raptors their due for developing him, I might reconsider.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,833

Post#29 » by JShuttlesworth » Sun Jun 6, 2021 3:41 pm

Every time a thread like this is created, I realize that people have such low standards for retiring jerseys.

I wouldn't retire any of those numbers.

Lowry should be the first.
Rapsin6
Pro Prospect
And1: 912

Post#30 » by Rapsin6 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 3:50 pm

duppyy wrote:Might as well hang up lebrons jersey if you gonna retire demar. He couldn’t get over the lebron hump. I appreciate his loyalty but after winning a chip retiring people’s jersey that couldn’t get us one seems crazy to me.

I guess you don’t feel Portland should retire Dame jersey? No leaf was good enough to have number retired since 67? No Garnett in Minny? Championships are not easy and teams should be able to honour their greats even if they don’t win it all.

For me, Demar is a no brainer 100%. Worked hard and did the best he could (maybe).

For me, personally, Vince too as he was who got me to become a Raptors fan. I’m sure I am not the only one. Management sucked then, and everyone acts different to adversity. Of course he could’ve and should’ve handled things better but I still appreciate his affect on basketball in Toronto and Canada.

Kawhi, no. Best player to ever play for this team but one year then walk doesn’t do it.

Bosh.....just no
"Ball"
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,779

Post#31 » by Dennis 37 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:00 pm

D.Brasco wrote:Vince Carter, Chris Bosh, Demar Derozen and Kawhi Leonard.

Demar DeRozan most deserving of that group. I would support.
Kawhi Leonard - gave us a championship, but never once declared any attachment to our team. He spoke using the word "they" not "us". I am on the fence.

Vince and Chris - no way in hell would I support either of them.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#32 » by Danny1616 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:00 pm

duppyy wrote:Might as well hang up lebrons jersey if you gonna retire demar. He couldn’t get over the lebron hump. I appreciate his loyalty but after winning a chip retiring people’s jersey that couldn’t get us one seems crazy to me.

What are your standards for retiring a jersey?

Cavaliers retired Ilgauskas, Nance, Price and Carr.

Nuggets retired English, Lever, Thompson etc.

Warriors retired Mullin, Barry, Thurmond.

Heat retired Hardaway Senior.

Thunder retired Collison.

Sixers retired Barkley.

Suns retired KJ.

Kings retired Richmond, Webber, Peja, Vlade.

Utah retired Dantley, Eaton, Griffith, Hornacek.

Wizards retired Monroe, Unseld etc.

And I skipped a bunch. None of those players won a chip. in fact, a bunch of those listed aren't even as good as Derozan.
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,466

Post#33 » by Jcity08 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:08 pm

Ideally none of them.

Lowry is the only past or current Raptor I think who's number deserves retiring.

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,279

Post#34 » by ruckus » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:13 pm

Only one I would consider is Demar. Everyone else either doesn't have the longevity (Kawhi), or the success (Vince and Bosh).

When you look back, yes, Vince inpacted Canada basketball greatly but his accomplishments as a Raptor were largely individual - dunk contest, allstar appearances, the dunk on Weis in the Olympics. They never achieved the playoff success they should have for a player of Vince's talent.

Even Bosh's tenure was that of individual accomplishment bookended by a really mediocre playoff run.

If people are adamant about honoring Vince in some way, I'd be ok with putting him in the Canadian Basketball Hall of Fame as a Builder. Most people's argument for retiring Vince's jersey is because of his impact on Canadian basketball not because of any specific accomplishments or successes as a Raptor.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,639

Post#35 » by Johnny Bball » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:14 pm

DeMar DeRozan.

Nobody else on that list.
Dennis 37
RealGM

Post#36 » by Dennis 37 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:27 pm

dagger wrote:Vince and DeMar. Vince put us on the map, and I still think his 48 point playoff game against the Sixers was the single greatest playoff performance of a Raptor to date. Demar, because he was a multi-year all-star who was critical to our rise to perennial playoff status. I wouldn't let anyone wear #2 for a long time, but I wouldn't retire it. I am inclined not to retire #4, but when he gets into the Hall of Fame, if he gives the Raptors their due for developing him, I might reconsider.

Stop, just stop with this map BS.

The only residual effect of Vince playing in Toronto was to inspire Canadians to play the game with a number of them making it to the NBA. Have any of those top tier Canadian talents said to teams, "Don't draft me because I will leave at my first chance to join the Raptors." ? Not a single one. Is Jamal Murray asking to be traded here? No he isn't.

Did any American players, now being able to "find us on a map" because they grew up watching Vince, manipulate their way to the Raptors because of their fond memories of Vince? Not one.

Do American sports network insist that the Raptors play Christmas games because, after all, they are on the map? No.

The team has gained absolutely nothing for having Vince for a few good years. Developing interest in basketball in our country is not the same as having a short or long lasting beneficial effect on the success or reputation of the team. The Canadian Basketball Hall of Fame can celebrate him for inspiring Canadians, he did nothing for our team, we need not celebrate him.

And don't spout the nonsense that the team would have moved. Attendance pre and post Vince was always healthy and no way indicative of a team in financial difficulty.

As for Map, the person who has had the greatest credit for putting us on the map is Masai with an assist to Tim Leiweke. Undrafted players are now hoping to be signed by Toronto. Players, like Khem Birch, want to be here, not because of Vince Carter, but because of Nick Nurse, who was hired by Masai. The reason for the team being on the map is not Vince, it is because of Masai and the development system he and Leiweke made possible.

Want to raise a a jersey to the rafters because of a map? then raise Masai's suit.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Dennis 37
RealGM

Post#37 » by Dennis 37 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:28 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:DeMar DeRozan.

Nobody else on that list.

This is a quality post. Would read again and recommend to others.
Maxpainmedia:
Young_Buc
General Manager
And1: 9,130

Post#38 » by Young_Buc » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:44 pm

Masai should be the first gm in history to have his suit retired.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,639

Post#39 » by Johnny Bball » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:53 pm

Someone tell me of any of the four main NA sports, where a guy played one year, won a title, left, and they retied his jersey. Its just so bad.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,722

Post#40 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Sun Jun 6, 2021 5:17 pm

Damaon Stoudamire did more for this franchise than Bosh ever did. He really doesn't deserve to be on any list.

Return to Toronto Raptors