ImageImageImage

Ainge Retires - Stevens to Front Office - Celtics search for New Head Coach

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Theocy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,425

Re: Ainge Retires - Stevens to Front Office - Celtics search for New Head Coach 

Post#1941 » by Theocy » Sun Jun 6, 2021 3:50 pm

I think we all need to chill a bit.
VeryMuchWoke
Head Coach
And1: 7,490

Post#1942 » by VeryMuchWoke » Sun Jun 6, 2021 3:59 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
watsonthedragon wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:Zero Tolerance Policy
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2087387

Can you explain how his post goes against this policy? He’s literally saying skin color should not come into play...

Because what **** relevance does skin color or sex have to do with anything. No one here has suggested anyone unqualified for the job. So why is he bringing it up?

Answer: We all know why. Its to imply the people being suggested arent qualified and are being mentioned because theyre black and/or have a vagina. Lets stop pretending he wasnt doing what we all know he was doing.

(Note: all this applies to sexism as well, especially when it comes to the NBA, but I'm going to focus on race for simplicities sake)

I totally agree with you SmartWentCrazy, but I also think banning/suspending/censuring people for taking a "colorblind" type of stance may not be the best way to bring people over to our side, which is ultimately important for improving the society we all share.

A lot of decent non-racist people have been sold on the "colorblind" stance because in a vacuum, without understanding the systemic effects of racism, it sounds very reasonable. Maybe this isn't the place for it, but I'd rather at least try to educate these people and find some common ground to rehabilitate them - so long as they aren't overtly racist/sexist or otherwise bigoted. This is not meant to criticize how mods are handling the issue, but only to offer my perspective as a member of the community.

The way I look at it, racism works against black people at every level. On average, they get fewer opportunities and have more obstacles thrown in their way. Hence they "underperform" their white counterparts in terms of accolades/accomplishments/resume. Hence there are a lot of talented black people that are undervalued, and a rational actor in the market would look to exploit this market inefficiency by hiring the black disadvantaged guy with the same resume as the white advantaged guy since the cost will be the same and the black person will be more talented. The first step is putting aside the cognitive bias you likely have against black people so you can recognize when the opportunity is there. So even from a somewhat gross utilitarian perspective, affirmative action is justified. Furthermore, and more importantly, from the social justice perspective mitigating racism is simply the right thing to do.
"Danny Ainge needs to shut the **** up and manage his own team. He was the biggest whiner when he was playing, and I know that because I coached against him."
Pat Riley
nic4747
Pro Prospect
And1: 523

Post#1943 » by nic4747 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:15 pm

VeryMuchWoke wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
watsonthedragon wrote:
Can you explain how his post goes against this policy? He’s literally saying skin color should not come into play...

Because what **** relevance does skin color or sex have to do with anything. No one here has suggested anyone unqualified for the job. So why is he bringing it up?

Answer: We all know why. Its to imply the people being suggested arent qualified and are being mentioned because theyre black and/or have a vagina. Lets stop pretending he wasnt doing what we all know he was doing.

(Note: all this applies to sexism as well, especially when it comes to the NBA, but I'm going to focus on race for simplicities sake)

I totally agree with you SmartWentCrazy, but I also think banning/suspending/censuring people for taking a "colorblind" type of stance may not be the best way to bring people over to our side, which is ultimately important for improving the society we all share.

A lot of decent non-racist people have been sold on the "colorblind" stance because in a vacuum, without understanding the systemic effects of racism, it sounds very reasonable. Maybe this isn't the place for it, but I'd rather at least try to educate these people and find some common ground to rehabilitate them - so long as they aren't overtly racist/sexist or otherwise bigoted. This is not meant to criticize how mods are handling the issue, but only to offer my perspective as a member of the community.

The way I look at it, racism works against black people at every level. On average, they get fewer opportunities and have more obstacles thrown in their way. Hence they "underperform" their white counterparts in terms of accolades/accomplishments/resume. Hence there are a lot of talented black people that are undervalued, and a rational actor in the market would look to exploit this market inefficiency by hiring the black disadvantaged guy with the same resume as the white advantaged guy since the cost will be the same and the black person will be more talented. The first step is putting aside the cognitive bias you likely have against black people so you can recognize when the opportunity is there. So even from a somewhat gross utilitarian perspective, affirmative action is justified. Furthermore, and more importantly, from the social justice perspective mitigating racism is simply the right thing to do.

100% agree with this. The "I'm colorblind" response has been seen as an acceptable response to racial stuff for decades and most people who say it mean well and don't deserve to be lumped in with the actual bigots. And, in a perfect world, skin color wouldn't be a factor. But, we don't live in a perfect world and as I've said previously, the Celtics should hire a black head coach as there are several strategic advantages to doing so.

Side note, I absolutely love the bolded part of your post. Most people come at this from a moral perspective which is all well and good, but there is also a strong argument from a business / logic perspective as well. Kinda similar to how Danny looks for value in the drafts.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,641

Post#1944 » by GoCeltics123 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:19 pm

Read on Twitter

canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,486

Post#1945 » by canman1971 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:22 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Oh good god!
Almeida
Senior
And1: 749

Post#1946 » by Almeida » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:22 pm

Hopefully that doesn’t mean he thinks he has good chances of becoming our head coach...
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 55,437

Post#1947 » by bisme37 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:26 pm

Dame and Kidd to Boston, then fire Kidd.
Bohemian
Analyst
And1: 3,308

Post#1948 » by Bohemian » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:29 pm

I hope it means Kidd is coming to the C´s
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#1949 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:30 pm

No. **** no. Please god no. I want nothing to do with Kidd.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1950 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:34 pm

Bohemian wrote:I hope it means Kidd is coming to the C´s

Why do you hate us?
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,641

Post#1951 » by GoCeltics123 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:35 pm

Read on Twitter

This from a Lakers reporter 15 minutes ago. Is Vogel out and Kidd replacing him? Hope so
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,829

Post#1952 » by truth18 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:37 pm

Theocy wrote:I think we all need to chill a bit.

The discord is chill as ****. 40+ deep already. Link if you want it:

https://discord.gg/XPRdNQYf
YOU LOSE
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,893

Post#1953 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:39 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:
Read on Twitter

This from a Lakers reporter 15 minutes ago. Is Vogel out and Kidd replacing him? Hope so

Maybe Kidd as Lakers HC. Vogel, Indiana guy and Stevens friend, to Boston?
Tyakack
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,150

Post#1954 » by Tyakack » Sun Jun 6, 2021 5:02 pm

I only want kidd if it somehow means we get Dame too.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1955 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sun Jun 6, 2021 5:03 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Guarantee Brad Stevens isnt the only one in the NBA burned out after the last 18 months
moonie_mcgee
Starter
And1: 1,794

Post#1956 » by moonie_mcgee » Sun Jun 6, 2021 5:10 pm

The drama is hilarious.
Stevens is finally out of the locker and off the bench!
Now go get a former player to headcoach, and surround him with solid veteran nba coaches.
And interview Caron Butler!
That's the Way of the World
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Post#1957 » by bucknersrevenge » Sun Jun 6, 2021 5:24 pm

nic4747 wrote:
VeryMuchWoke wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

100% agree with this. The "I'm colorblind" response has been seen as an acceptable response to racial stuff for decades and most people who say it mean well and don't deserve to be lumped in with the actual bigots. And, in a perfect world, skin color wouldn't be a factor. But, we don't live in a perfect world and as I've said previously, the Celtics should hire a black head coach as there are several strategic advantages to doing so.

Side note, I absolutely love the bolded part of your post. Most people come at this from a moral perspective which is all well and good, but there is also a strong argument from a business / logic perspective as well. Kinda similar to how Danny looks for value in the drafts.

Sorry to jump back in on this but this is 100% horse****. Sorry but acting like you don't see color is an excuse and in many ways worse. If you don't see color, you don't see race. If you don't see race, you don't see racism when it smacks you right across the face. You render marginalized people as invisible and impotent by participating in an ethocentric view of the world. Sorry, but the "All lives Matter" crowd will receive no quarter from me, nor should they from you.

Being "pro-equality" is not enough sir. You need to be actively ANTI-racism.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,239

Post#1958 » by Parliament10 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 5:33 pm

Let's consolidate all this into one Post.:

Who will coach the Celtics in 2021-22?
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2087729
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum

Return to Boston Celtics