ImageImageImageImageImage

Free agency has begun and Raps can’t answer 2 questions

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

bongmarley
Veteran
And1: 1,152

Free agency has begun and Raps can’t answer 2 questions 

Post#1 » by bongmarley » Sat Jun 5, 2021 11:01 am

We all know behind the scenes free agency has already started. The first 2 questions agents/players are going to ask are:

1 where are we playing?

2 is Masai still in charge?

The answer to both right now is we don’t know.

Not the best look to free agents. We will have the most cap space in team history yet team couldn’t be in a worst position perception wise. To me it shows that Raps already know they have zero chance at free agency and will look to upgrade thru draft and trades.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,876

Re: Free agency has begun and Raps can’t answer 2 questions 

Post#2 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sat Jun 5, 2021 11:57 am

bongmarley wrote:We all know behind the scenes free agency has already started. The first 2 questions agents/players are going to ask are:

1 where are we playing?

Not the best look to free agents. We will have the most cap space in team history yet team couldn’t be in a worst position perception wise. To me it shows that Raps already know they have zero chance at free agency and will look to upgrade thru draft and trades.

Not the greatest free agency class and... getting a tier one free agent is near impossible with the way preferred market destinations work in the NBA. The good news is we will retain our young restricted free agent in Trent jr. We will likely re-sign Birch. Likely re-sign Stanley and Jalen Harris. Add picking up the options of Boucher, Yuta and Gillespie and still going young via buy low continues. Meanwhile on the market will be 6'7 shooting guard Furkan Korkmaz who is 23. Seems like the kind of free agent opportunity we would pounce on. The above housekeeping is not overly dependent on Masai.
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,703

Post#3 » by Yallbecrazy » Sat Jun 5, 2021 12:49 pm

They are playing in Toronto, that is essentially assured with case rates plummeting
MAD ROB
Senior
And1: 220

Post#4 » by MAD ROB » Sat Jun 5, 2021 1:05 pm

If they can't play in Toronto it is because a new variant has emerged that is resistant to all vaccines and then the whole world is f**ked and the last thing that will matter is sports.
YOU TALKIN 'BOUT CUBA?
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#5 » by Indeed » Sat Jun 5, 2021 1:27 pm

Free agency has not been started. I believe it is still 2 months away.
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Post#6 » by Kevin Willis » Sat Jun 5, 2021 1:44 pm

Come on Bong. With a name like that you're supposed to be upbeat and feel aight...

We will be fine.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,646

Post#7 » by Johnny Bball » Sat Jun 5, 2021 2:01 pm

Yallbecrazy wrote:They are playing in Toronto, that is essentially assured with case rates plummeting

Is it? I think he has a point.

It's impossible to discuss this and not delve into politics. The Canadian government needs to make a decision now on sports travel either way. I don't think you're wrong see that it can't be managed and the border opened for sports travel, but they have of course not had the foresight or cajones to rule on anything.

As for Ujiri, I was wondering, is his contract expired already or does it run through the playoffs even if they aren't playing? Because it still not being solved is an issue. And also should not wait until the last minute.
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,888

Post#8 » by Kingsway_fan » Sat Jun 5, 2021 2:02 pm

Mods lock er up..
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,524

Post#9 » by 2019nbachamps » Sat Jun 5, 2021 5:50 pm

We’ll be back in Toronto. Case levels are down and our vaccine campaign is finally at full speed. I expect the Canada-US restrictions to be lifted this summer.

I think Masai’s situation would hurt us if we were vying for a superstar. However this free agency market is trash so the guys we’re signing are coming here because we made them the best possible offer. Also, Masai is amazing but at the end of the day the organization is stable and functional so there’s little reason to believe that won’t continue if he leaves.
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,575

Post#10 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Sat Jun 5, 2021 5:54 pm

True. Big FA group in ‘22? Nobody really gets to FA anymore I guess.
refshateRaps
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,946

Post#11 » by refshateRaps » Sat Jun 5, 2021 6:24 pm

They'll be in Toronto

This City has suffered enough the last year and a half. Enough is enough
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 21,889

Post#12 » by ItsDanger » Sat Jun 5, 2021 7:02 pm

1. We'll be playing in Toronto next season.
2. Decision needs to be made well before draft. This is key turning point for us.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
TheRealDeal
RealGM
And1: 11,819

Post#13 » by TheRealDeal » Sat Jun 5, 2021 7:04 pm

If the Raptors aren't allowed to play in Toronto next year then we might as well permanently move the team to the U.S.

It's a joke that this is even a discussion at this point
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,722

Post#14 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Sat Jun 5, 2021 7:49 pm

If we aren't in Toronto, we won't be worth following as a team.
Blood Orange
Sixth Man
And1: 2,795

Post#15 » by Blood Orange » Sat Jun 5, 2021 7:49 pm

According to NBA.com free agency starts Aug. 6th 2021

https://www.nba.com/news/nba-announces-start-date-for-2021-free-agency
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,779

Post#16 » by Dennis 37 » Sat Jun 5, 2021 8:21 pm

Ivan Drago wrote:According to NBA.com free agency starts Aug. 6th 2021

https://www.nba.com/news/nba-announces-start-date-for-2021-free-agency

The proof for this was Balmer dropping in on Raptor games in November.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,304

Post#17 » by Parataxis » Sat Jun 5, 2021 8:33 pm

bongmarley wrote:We all know behind the scenes free agency has already started. The first 2 questions agents/players are going to ask are:

1 where are we playing?

1. Toronto. The plan is to play in Toronto. Everybody already knows this. (It might not happen, but that's the plan. Just as a Hurricane could hit Miami and force them to play elsewhere)

2. Yes. He's still in charge. He has the business cards to prove it, and it's his name on the door to his office. Why would you think he's not in charge?

Honestly, some of this woe-tiding is getting ridiculous.
Lord_Zedd
RealGM
And1: 19,786

Post#18 » by Lord_Zedd » Sun Jun 6, 2021 6:12 pm

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/nhl-travel-exemption-approved-1.6055422

Semi-related note. Feds approved of NHL teams crossing the borders for the playoffs- without having to isolate for 14 days.

Just a matter of time now for baseball and regular season NBA/NHL.
KrazyP
General Manager
And1: 5,435

Post#19 » by KrazyP » Sun Jun 6, 2021 6:19 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:

1 where are we playing?

Not the greatest free agency class and... getting a tier one free agent is near impossible with the way preferred market destinations work in the NBA. The good news is we will retain our young restricted free agent in Trent jr. We will likely re-sign Birch. Likely re-sign Stanley and Jalen Harris. Add picking up the options of Boucher, Yuta and Gillespie and still going young via buy low continues. Meanwhile on the market will be 6'7 shooting guard Furkan Korkmaz who is 23. Seems like the kind of free agent opportunity we would pounce on. The above housekeeping is not overly dependent on Masai.

Good suggestion...this is type of under the radar player I could see the Raps going after. I guess a lot depends on what position they end up drafting with the lotto pick.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,519

Post#20 » by WaltFrazier » Sun Jun 6, 2021 6:27 pm

TheRealDeal wrote:If the Raptors aren't allowed to play in Toronto next year then we might as well permanently move the team to the U.S.

It's a joke that this is even a discussion at this point

Agree, but I could easily see Trudeau making the Raps wait till partway through the season, like the Jays now. We will see if the Jays even do get back to TO this summer or fall, and what happens with the Canadian hockey division winner.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.

Return to Toronto Raptors