ImageImageImage

Corey Kispert is the only logical choice for the Celtics in the first round of the draft.

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Celtics_History_Lesson
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,267

Corey Kispert is the only logical choice for the Celtics in the first round of the draft. 

Post#1 » by Celtics_History_Lesson » Sat Jun 5, 2021 1:07 am

What do the Celtics need to help Tatum?

A player who hits shots.

Someone who does not turn the ball over.

Someone who is ready to help now, not four years from now be four years away.

There is only one player in the draft, in the area the Celtics are selecting, that fits this.

Corey Kispert

Probably gone by the 5th pick, or 15th pick.

Corey Kispert had a True Shooting Percentage of .674 this season.

That is amazing.

Who else had that number?

.674?

Houston superstar Kelly Olynyk.

Tatum has the ball, it ends up on the wide-open Celtic, clang, brick, miss.

Corey Kispert was 44% on 3s.

This isn't a Marcus Smart going 1 for 10 in a playoff game type of player.

Only Teague and Fournier hits 3s at the Corey Kispert percentage.

One of those is gone. The other might be gone.

Only other Celtics above 40%, Pritchard.

As Pritchard was able to compete, so is Corey Kispert.

You have Corey Kispert on the floor with Tatum, you have R Williams also with his True Shooting Percentage of .719, it means defenders can't swarm Tatum. If they do, the Celtics score, if they don't the Celtics score.

Corey Kispert does not like to lose, or be insulted.

The Virginia coach said he wasn't a good player, Corey Kispert decided to hit 9 of 13 3s in the face.

Celtics are intelligent and bring in a power forward like John Collins, even Zach Collins, and Corey Kispert is the perfect player to make it work with cover fire.

Corey Kispert will score with a high percentage, and if the shot isn't there he returns the ball safely to the point guard or superstar Tatum so the offense can look for another quality shot attempt.

Also knows how to play proper Celtics defense, team defense where you contain and funnel scorers to the shot blocker. As there once was McHale and Parish, and is now R Williams and Tacko.

Also nice on offense, R Williams Offensive Rating 139, Kispert is 133.

He was also named to the Division I-AAA ADA Men's Scholar Athlete Team. He is already more qualified to run the Celtics front office than those who have been there the past decade.

He wins, something the Celtics should want to do.

Corey Kispert

52.9% FG%

44% 3%

87.8%
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,393

Re: Corey Kispert is the only logical choice for the Celtics in the first round of the draft. 

Post#2 » by threrf23 » Sat Jun 5, 2021 1:18 am

Not to take this post too seriously, but his teammate Joel Ayayi is a better prospect IMO.

No telling what Adam Morrison would have done had he stuck around for his senior year, but Freshman thru Junior year he scored more than Kispert on similar efficiency.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,125

Re: Corey Kispert is the only logical choice for the Celtics in the first round of the draft. 

Post#4 » by Hal14 » Sat Jun 5, 2021 1:59 am

You make some good points. But you lost me at Teague and Tacko..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,427

Post#5 » by playa-hater » Sat Jun 5, 2021 4:04 am

I do absolutely LOVE shooters. But I like my wings to play good defense at minimum. Preferably good at switching. So while on offense he might compliment the Js well, on defense, hell no. \

That and we have 2-3 wings types, we need 3-4 wings or a BIG anyway.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#6 » by captain green » Sat Jun 5, 2021 5:01 am

A really hard pass on him might as well draft luke garza lol I literally like 30 more dude than him and yes I'll type them if asked.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
Celtics_History_Lesson
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,267

Post#7 » by Celtics_History_Lesson » Sun Jun 6, 2021 1:22 am

Hal14 wrote: Teague and Tacko..

Teague gets a mention due to being the best shooter on a team that can't shoot.

Jeff Teague .464

Evan Fournier .463

Payton Pritchard .411

This is funny, or would be to fans of other teams.

Fournier and Smart took the same amount of 3s per game.

Smart shot a tad worse.

The Celtics had few shooters. One was sent away. Another is a free agent, and possible New York Knick soon.

Tacko is, by far, the best Celtic for blocks per minute.

R Williams is the one who blocks shots and plays more minutes.

Per Game blocks:

Robert Williams 1.8

Luke Kornet 1.4

Tacko Fall 1.1

captain green wrote:A really hard pass on him might as well draft luke garza lol I literally like 30 more dude than him and yes I'll type them if asked.

Type them.

Make sure you type Austin Ainge's favorite Sharife Cooper and his 23% on 3s.

Josh Giddey at 29%.

Scottie Barnes 25%.

Offense is not working when Kemba, Smart, Romeo, Carsen combine to go around 34% from long range.

Look, if you want to just keep on doing the same old thing, then maybe this idea is not for you. I, for one, am not going to compromise my artistic integrity. And I'll tell you something else, Corey Kispert is the pick and we're not going to change it.

It is a team of bricklayers and projects.

They had Romeo shooting the ball with a ping pong bat on his hand.

Corey Kispert is shooting 44% from 3.

44%.

What Corey Kispert did to Virginia, it would take 1 of 10 Marcus Smart around 8 weeks to do.

Corey Kispert or Ojeleye next to Tatum?

Tatum has three or four defenders on him, and Semi has shown that he is not the answer.

New FTW mock draft has Celtics selecting wing shooting, rim protecting big man

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/lists/nba-boston-celtics-kispert-queta-2021-draft/
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,488

Post#8 » by Kalela » Sun Jun 6, 2021 3:17 am

He is projected to be a top 10 pick. Watching the Zags this season, I don't know why he is projected so high though.
Fire Mazzulla
threrf23
RealGM

Post#9 » by threrf23 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 3:18 am

Even if it's all about shooting, Trey Murphy projects as a better shooter than Kispert.
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,125

Post#10 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Sun Jun 6, 2021 3:27 am

He’s definitely the white choice
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#11 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Jun 6, 2021 7:20 pm

Kispert will be gone, but you can probably get Sengun, Petrusev or half of Chris Duarte.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#12 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Jun 6, 2021 7:20 pm

Kispert will be gone, but you can probably get Sengun, Petrusev or half of Chris Duarte.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#13 » by return2glory » Sun Jun 6, 2021 8:01 pm

playa-hater wrote:I do absolutely LOVE shooters. But I like my wings to play good defense at minimum. Preferably good at switching. So while on offense he might compliment the Js well, on defense, hell no. \

That’s why I like Chris Duarte. A wing that shot 43% from 3’s, 52% from the field overall and he can create his own shot. Besides that, he is known for his defense and even had 8 steals in a tournament game a few months ago.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,427

Post#14 » by playa-hater » Sun Jun 6, 2021 8:08 pm

return2glory wrote:
playa-hater wrote:I do absolutely LOVE shooters. But I like my wings to play good defense at minimum. Preferably good at switching. So while on offense he might compliment the Js well, on defense, hell no. \

That’s why I like Chris Duarte. A wing that shot 43% from 3’s, 52% from the field overall and he can create his own shot. Besides that, he is known for his defense and even had 8 steals in a tournament game a few months ago.

I agree with all of your analysis, My only hesitation is he does play the same position as Nesmith and Romeo.. Another 23 wing would be redundants unless we traded one of the others.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
threrf23
RealGM

Post#15 » by threrf23 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 8:24 pm

return2glory wrote:

Though, he's 24 years old in a week, and he didn't shoot as well the season before. Duarte def projects as the better defender, but to be fair Kispert def projects as the better shooter.

Back to Duarte, his steal/block/foul stats are elite and his motor his lauded and the chance that he can be an elite defender makes him more intriguing to me than his shot. But my hangup is that he is already 24 and he is listed at 6'6 190 (same as RJ Hunter). He looks like he has some muscle on him but I'm not sure he'll be able to assert himself well enough at the NBA level to become much more than a solid role player.
return2glory
RealGM

Post#16 » by return2glory » Sun Jun 6, 2021 8:28 pm

playa-hater wrote:
return2glory wrote:

I agree with all of your analysis, My only hesitation is he does play the same position as Nesmith and Romeo.. Another 23 wing would be redundants unless we traded one of the others.

There is a chance one of Romeo or Nesmith moght be traded. Also who knows if Fournier is resigned. But yes, if all those guys stay, than Duarte would be redundant.

One thing Duarte can do that better than Romeo, Nesmith and Kispert is create his own shot.

I like Kispert, but the lack of defense and the inability to create his own shot makes him a risky pick in the early or mid 1st round.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#17 » by cloverleaf » Sun Jun 6, 2021 9:07 pm

JT needs bigs who complement Rob, in bulk, shooting and durability and a reliable PG who can both keep the O flowing and hold up his end on D.
return2glory
RealGM

Post#18 » by return2glory » Sun Jun 6, 2021 9:20 pm

One more thing about Kispert. I watched Gonzaga a lot this season and in the tournament. The thing about Kispert’s release is that I would like it to be a little higher.

I’m not sure how well is is going to be about to get his shot off against taller and more athletic players in the NBA vs players on Saint Mary.

Years ago when Adam Morrison was coming to the league I was one of the few that said he was going to be a bust because he also had a low release on his shot.

If you watch Kispert and watch film on him, you will notice how he doesn’t shot with anyone in his face. He usually shoots when people are 5 feet or more away from him.

Some people might say if he was playing with Tatum and Brown, he would get a lot of open looks. That would be true but come playoff time when the defenses get tougher, Kispert would have a tough time getting his shot off. The defenses won’t relax on him and dare him to take open shots like the Nets defense did with Romeo.
LoquaciousLarry
Sophomore
And1: 190

Post#19 » by LoquaciousLarry » Sun Jun 6, 2021 11:07 pm

Kispert wouldn't be a bad choice reminds me a little bit of Doug McBuckets who I believe is a Free Agent as well. Kispert can be a Duncan Robinson in the least. I have my hopes up for Kai Jones first round and Joel Ayayi second round but I'd be fine with Kispert. He had a tough Natty Title but is a smart, competitive, winner. The guy is a far better prospect than Grant Williams but hopefully with Ainge gone we won't have another Grant Williams walking through that door folks.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#20 » by cloverleaf » Mon Jun 7, 2021 12:26 am

Celtics_History_Lesson wrote:What do the Celtics need to help Tatum?

A player who hits shots.

Tatum's eFG% was .530 this year while the team's overall eFG% was .543, so the common take that JT played so much 1-on-3 iso was because his teammates couldn't hit shots is a bit of a misnomer.

Return to Boston Celtics