ImageImageImageImageImage

Round 1, Game 7: Clippers vs. Mavericks: June 6, 12:30 PM PCT

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,260

Re: Round 1, Game 7: Clippers vs. Mavericks: June 6, 12:30 PM PCT 

Post#341 » by nickhx2 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 10:45 pm

playaloc916 wrote:What an insane series... I have to admit, I lost all hope after the team lost the first two games and seeing Luka look like a player with all the sliders at 99, but the team deserves the utmost respect after battling hard to grind out the series and win it in 7. Props to Lue for having the cajones to make the right adjustments and bench Zu and Bev, and play Batum as the C and give some decent minutes to Mann and even Kennard. Kawhi kind of faded in Game 5, but he just went into Terminator mode in Games 6 and 7. PG, while not shooting the best in this series, contributed a lot in other ways, and Reggie was our 3rd best player in the series, and kept the team in so many games with his 3's. No more Mavs in the future, please... Lol.

Utah will be interesting. They seem to be the heavy favorites, but I think it will be a pretty competitive series. Bev might actually be of some use in this series.

Definitely had my doubts after the first two games. Agree with a lot of this.

Lue deserves credit for eventually making the right moves that many were thinking he was incapable of. Give doc this team and you know zubac/bev would be starting every game with some dumb 3-guard lineups off the bench.

Kawhi was phenomenal. He looks healthy and when his super flat shot is falling (lol) then he's capable of taking us all the way. I won't lie: for a while now, since the end of the last playoffs, i thought his MJness had worn off. After this series? It's a concern of mine no longer.

PG had a really solid series. He didn't put up 30 ppg, but he didn't need to. And he did just about everything else either well or really well. Anyone who is poo-pooing on him at this point is literally clueless about basketball and their opinion is literally worthless.

I give reggie a lot of grief because he is just so maddening sometimes. But he played well overall. As did batum.

I had a feeling morris would show up in game 7, and he did. Honestly you could tell he was figuring things out in game 6, even if he shot poorly. His defense in that game and this one gave us that dimension we've been looking for, for a while now. I expect him to be solid for the rest of the playoffs.

Mann and kennard: game-winning efforts in the most high-stakes game of their careers. That's gotta make both these guys feeling confident. I wasn't sure mann would be able to replicate his efforts with confidence in the playoffs, but here we are. And kennard, you just gotta give this guy some major credit. I did not think he would do anything of worth in the playoffs and he looked like he would be glued to the bench. Then in game 6 he started showing defensive IQ i never knew existed in him. And THEN he started hitting his shots in today's game. This team can go FAR if they keep showing up.

I've been bemoaning, for a while now, the team's decision to skip chemistry building at the end of the RS to attempt it in the playoffs. Really risky move, but hey, here we are now and it seems to be paying off. This is the kind of series that will help the team realize what it's truly capable of. The team seems to have figured out a defensive synergy that it hadn't really seen all season. Keep that up and this team can go far.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#342 » by NippySudz » Sun Jun 6, 2021 10:46 pm

Doc Loses a playoff game and clips win. Today was a good day.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#343 » by TheNewEra » Sun Jun 6, 2021 10:47 pm

Next one up
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#344 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Jun 6, 2021 10:52 pm

Patrick Beverley DNP.

Lol.
Good.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,883

Post#345 » by esqtvd » Sun Jun 6, 2021 10:54 pm

playaloc916 wrote:What an insane series... I have to admit, I lost all hope after the team lost the first two games and seeing Luka look like a player with all the sliders at 99, but the team deserves the utmost respect after battling hard to grind out the series and win it in 7. Props to Lue for having the cajones to make the right adjustments and bench Zu and Bev, and play Batum as the C and give some decent minutes to Mann and even Kennard. Kawhi kind of faded in Game 5, but he just went into Terminator mode in Games 6 and 7. PG, while not shooting the best in this series, contributed a lot in other ways, and Reggie was our 3rd best player in the series, and kept the team in so many games with his 3's. No more Mavs in the future, please... Lol.

Utah will be interesting. They seem to be the heavy favorites, but I think it will be a pretty competitive series. Bev might actually be of some use in this series.

I need to pull out all my "don't spit on their grave until they're dead at least" posts
I didn't even count out Kennard :wink:

hell, some people counted out Reggie as "unplayable" a few months ago lol

so don't count out Bev either
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 978

Post#346 » by clipperlover » Sun Jun 6, 2021 10:56 pm

NippySudz wrote:Doc Loses a playoff game and clips win. Today was a good day.

Lou Williams's team up 1-0 and Trez is watching from home. A good day indeed.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,158

Post#347 » by MartinToVaught » Sun Jun 6, 2021 10:56 pm

Next series is going to be the hardest part of these playoffs, IMO. The second round has been a horror show for this franchise. I expect that we'll lose Game 1 because of the quick turnaround time, so it will likely be an uphill battle. Hopefully this series unlocked the mental toughness that the Clippers have never had in the past, because they're going to need it against the Jazz.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#348 » by esqtvd » Sun Jun 6, 2021 10:57 pm

nickhx2 wrote:
I've been bemoaning, for a while now, the team's decision to skip chemistry building at the end of the RS to attempt it in the playoffs. Really risky move, but hey, here we are now and it seems to be paying off. This is the kind of series that will help the team realize what it's truly capable of. The team seems to have figured out a defensive synergy that it hadn't really seen all season. Keep that up and this team can go far.

Although I don't think that decision was vindicated, esp with the Lakers out now. Better to play it straight. Period.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,158

Post#349 » by MartinToVaught » Sun Jun 6, 2021 11:00 pm

Read on Twitter

A fitting end to a series full of extreme shooting performances (on both ends of the spectrum).
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,078

Post#350 » by Wammy Giveaway » Sun Jun 6, 2021 11:32 pm

playaloc916 wrote:No more Mavs in the future, please... Lol.

Hate to say it, but I think Clippers are going to be seeing more Doncic in the future. He's going to be even more eager to defeat Clippers come next season. But if Clippers defeat Mavs one more time, it's three strikes yer out. And Mavs will have to pull off a George Karl Sonics* special.

* George Karl was 0-6 vs. Lakers in a playoff series. Every time they drew the Lakers, Karl lost. The only time he made the Finals was in 1996, with the Rockets led by Olajuwon defeating the Lakers for them (Rockets and Lakers met up as 4th and 5th seeds). It would result in Sonics defeating Rockets instead of Lakers in the 2nd round.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,381

Post#351 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sun Jun 6, 2021 11:42 pm

Two things could help the Clippers against Utah- 1) The Jazz are hopefully rusty in game 1. 2) Conley apparently has a hamstring injury- he always plays like a first team all NBA player against the Clippers for whatever reason- Ingles does too, so I'm worried about him
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,381

Post#352 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sun Jun 6, 2021 11:45 pm

clipperlover wrote:If I am Steve Ballmer, I am very nervous right now about Kawhi's future regardless of if we make the Finals. Kawhi could look ahead to the next 5 years and decide a Kawhi-Luka tandem would be the best.

Kawhi wants to play in LA, so I'm not too concerned about that. He also could have joined LeBron and AD and chose to lead his own team instead
Max Headrom
Sixth Man
And1: 2,186

Post#353 » by Max Headrom » Sun Jun 6, 2021 11:50 pm

Good for the team to exercise some game 7 demons in the first round. Utah plays much more conventional so the Clippers should be able to play their normal game while still also being able to play a small ball 5 to make Gobert obsolete because he's useless on the perimeter
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#354 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Jun 6, 2021 11:57 pm

Paging Serge Ibaka.
Paging Serge Ibaka.

Clips could use you in the next round.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,691

Post#355 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Jun 7, 2021 12:06 am

Max Headrom wrote:Good for the team to exercise some game 7 demons in the first round. Utah plays much more conventional so the Clippers should be able to play their normal game while still also being able to play a small ball 5 to make Gobert obsolete because he's useless on the perimeter

What Luka did is sustainable in a playoff series(and he did look a bit worn in the 2nd half today), much less so over the course of a regular season.

Utah is better than Dallas, but yeah Dallas was uniquely tough and better than their seeding due to superstar factor in basketball. It felt like any point we always needed at least 4 guys on the floor that could credibly cover Doncic rotations be damned, even though he is close to unguardable (Kawhi seemed by far best at this.)
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 893

Post#356 » by NickP » Mon Jun 7, 2021 12:15 am

madmaxmedia wrote:
Max Headrom wrote:Good for the team to exercise some game 7 demons in the first round. Utah plays much more conventional so the Clippers should be able to play their normal game while still also being able to play a small ball 5 to make Gobert obsolete because he's useless on the perimeter

What Luka did is sustainable in a playoff series(and he did look a bit worn in the 2nd half today), much less so over the course of a regular season.

Utah is better than Dallas, but yeah Dallas was uniquely tough and better than their seeding due to superstar factor in basketball. It felt like any point we always needed at least 4 guys on the floor that could credibly cover Doncic rotations be damned, even though he is close to unguardable (Kawhi seemed by far best at this.)

I think if we take care of Utah we should be able to beat either Phoenix or Denver.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#357 » by esqtvd » Mon Jun 7, 2021 12:29 am

NickP wrote:I think if we take care of Utah we should be able to beat either Phoenix or Denver.

7 guys in double figures
every clipper + in the plus/minus

Bev benched
Zubac 3 minutes
Rondo 9 minutes
Marcus first 20-point game of the playoffs
Kennard 11 points in 15 minutes after scoring 2 points in previous 14

"No plan survives first contact with the enemy."--Moltke
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face"--Mike Tyson

thank God Ty had 11 guys to choose from and thank God 7 stepped up
LamarWho
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,083

Post#358 » by LamarWho » Mon Jun 7, 2021 12:30 am

Utah is far better defensively than Dallas, especially in the paint.

Offensively they don't rely on one player like Dallas. Gonna be a tough series.
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#359 » by TheNewEra » Mon Jun 7, 2021 12:30 am

[list=][/list]
Roscoe Sheed wrote:Two things could help the Clippers against Utah- 1) The Jazz are hopefully rusty in game 1. 2) Conley apparently has a hamstring injury- he always plays like a first team all NBA player against the Clippers for whatever reason- Ingles does too, so I'm worried about him

Go at him early and often to test that hamstring
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#360 » by TheNewEra » Mon Jun 7, 2021 12:32 am

LamarWho wrote:Utah is far better defensively than Dallas, especially in the paint.

Offensively they don't rely on one player like Dallas. Gonna be a tough series.

Yeah if we thought Boban was a pest it’s 5x worse with Gobert. They don’t have the bigs that shoot like Dallas so we should be able to matchup better. Being able to stay home on defenders might make it easier on guys and we still can’t let Mitchell or Clarkson take over.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers