Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

So....Utah 

Post#1 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Jun 7, 2021 12:25 am

Do we like our chances?
Let the chips fall where they may?

They scare the **** outta me.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 918

Re: So....Utah 

Post#2 » by NickP » Mon Jun 7, 2021 12:27 am

Actually Dallas worried me more than Utah because Luka is such an unconventional matchup nightmare. If anything I like our chances after this tough 7 gamer.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#3 » by TheNewEra » Mon Jun 7, 2021 1:02 am

It’s going to be difficult. Not having to deal with Luka is great but the Jazz are a better overall team. I think rotations get expanded early in the series
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Post#4 » by mttwlsn16 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 1:02 am

Honestly, they don't scare me half as much as Dallas did.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,190

Post#5 » by MartinToVaught » Mon Jun 7, 2021 1:28 am

It'll be a tough series for sure. Since the series is starting so quickly, I don't expect to win Game 1 unless the Jazz are really rusty. We really need Ibaka.

I'm most concerned about the mental block this franchise always seems to have in the second round. If they can just get over that hurdle, the rest of the season is house money as far as I'm concerned. I think they'll play a lot looser and freer if they can just get to the WCF.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#6 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Jun 7, 2021 1:49 am

I'm hoping that riding high on Game 7 and the quick turnaround will work in our favor and that any lag will hurt us in Game 2.

I truly believe the guys that got up off the mat in the 3rd quarter of Game 7 FINALLY tapped into something they hadn't tapped into all year.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Post#7 » by playaloc916 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:04 am

I'll be honest, I've seen very little of the Jazz play. The consensus seems that they are the favorites, and they have the record to prove it. They are a very solid, balanced, well coached team. So it seems that the Clips have to play better than usual to have a chance at winning.

But with the Mavs, as a team overall they aren't as good as the Jazz, but you can play perfectly and still lose because Luka is a literally a one-man wrecking crew. You can defend him with the spirit of Shane Battier, and he can still hit that step back fadeaway three, multiple times in a row... That's what scared me about the Mavs.

So now, the team doesn't have to worry about one otherworldly player, instead they have to worry about several, really good players. It will be interesting if Bev and Zubac can actually be playable this series.
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 918

Post#8 » by NickP » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:20 am

Quake Griffin wrote:I'm hoping that riding high on Game 7 and the quick turnaround will work in our favor and that any lag will hurt us in Game 2.

I truly believe the guys that got up off the mat in the 3rd quarter of Game 7 FINALLY tapped into something they hadn't tapped into all year.

Yeah, it's game 2 that will have us play with heavy tired legs. Just get one in Utah and take care of them at home.
Max Headrom
Sixth Man
And1: 2,204

Post#9 » by Max Headrom » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:30 am

Here's the thing to pay attention to this series. The Jazz defense like to concede the mid range jumper.

And who's the Clippers best player again??
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Post#10 » by mttwlsn16 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:50 am

Max Headrom wrote:Here's the thing to pay attention to this series. The Jazz defense like to concede the mid range jumper.

Paul George

Max Headrom
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by Max Headrom » Mon Jun 7, 2021 4:02 am

mttwlsn16 wrote:
Max Headrom wrote:Here's the thing to pay attention to this series. The Jazz defense like to concede the mid range jumper.

Paul George

Well played sir, well played... 8-)
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 997

Post#12 » by clipperlover » Mon Jun 7, 2021 4:34 am

Jazz are no joke. They are tryng to exorcise their own 3-1 series collapse last playoffs. Their core has been together for several years, so they understand the situation.

We play every other day in Round 2, so there is no rest time. Rondo, Bev, Zu, and Boogie logged limited to no minutes in the last round, so they ned to be ready to take on an increased role in Games 1 and 2.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#13 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Jun 7, 2021 4:36 am

Was just gonna point this out.

Every other day until the 20th if necessary.

Games 5,6, and 7 are noon or early afternoon starts.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#14 » by NippySudz » Mon Jun 7, 2021 4:38 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Do we like our chances?

They number 1 in Threes. They are scary, but if Kawhi can contain Mitchell, I like my chances. It won't be easy, but I think mitchell will be easier to contain than Luka, but than again they got shooters, but 1 on 1 I think Kawhi can handle mitchell.
Max Headrom
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by Max Headrom » Mon Jun 7, 2021 5:02 am

Utah also has their very own Jamal Crawford/Lou Williams that can and have shot them out of games. They rely a TON on Clarkson points
RingColluder
Pro Prospect
And1: 240

Post#16 » by RingColluder » Mon Jun 7, 2021 5:11 am

The biggest concern is us gassing out having only 1 day of rest per game. Same issue with Nuggets series.

Suns are a way tougher team, but if Zu can't handle Gobert, I don't think Batum can. The difference between Boban and Gobert is VAST.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect
And1: 240

Post#17 » by RingColluder » Mon Jun 7, 2021 5:39 am

NippySudz wrote:

They number 1 in Threes. They are scary, but if Kawhi can contain Mitchell, I like my chances. It won't be easy, but I think mitchell will be easier to contain than Luka, but than again they got shooters, but 1 on 1 I think Kawhi can handle mitchell.

The issue is Mitchell is much quicker than Luka and Kawhi is better at bodying up guys and putting a hand in the face than super quick guys like Donovan. Luka is a much better player, but perhaps we can get a different player to guard Donovan and not suffer the same issues we had with Luka.

Our defense is going to have to step up. We let the Mavs hit a LOT of wide open 3's that they just flat out missed. Not the case with the Jazz, BUT still feel way more confident.

Not very familiar with their bench, but I doubt we get off to those awful starts we did against the Mavs with our 5. NO ONE on this team is better than Luka with that starting lineup.

In a lot of ways, this team reminds me of the Hawks teams from 5-7 years ago that would win a ton of games and be the 1 seed but never do anything in the playoffs.

The concern as stated is the STAMINA we have (as well as the IQ of some player/s which can't be mentioned I guess :roll: )

Carlisle is a way better coach than Quinn, I see Lue out-coaching him.

It would be another enormous loss to lose this series, MAYBE if it goes 7 we keep the team, but anything less requires a massive blowup as we got dangerously close to with the Mavs series. The star fit just is not there whatsoever, although we had some great spots with George just stood in a corner doing nothing but spot ups and Kawhi ran the team fully and we looked flawless. Think it was the Mann/Rondo lineup? But it worked. Let's see more of that please!
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#18 » by Vae Victus » Mon Jun 7, 2021 7:14 am

Clippers match up better against the Jazz, just cause Luka is a one man mismatch no matter who yuo have. Luka has that rare bucket making ability combined with otherworldly vision that gives all teams fits.

PG13 always hustles on D and Kawhi will need to play more D himself, in order to help contain DMitch. However due to Utah being a more conventional team (no Luka ball), that means PatBev and Kennard can get more burn and thus allowing the team to rest the stars more. Kennard is riding high off his good performance and maybe he can provide a coupla more over the next few games.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,624

Post#19 » by Cappy_Smurf » Mon Jun 7, 2021 7:58 am

RingColluder wrote:Carlisle is a way better coach than Quinn, I see Lue out-coaching him.

We constantly hear how Utah doesn't have the star power of other teams, yet somehow finished the year as the 1st overall seed. So if the players are just so-so and the coach isn't that good, then how did Utah win more games than anybody else? And don't say health, as they had 2 of their 3 best players out with injury the last few weeks of the season, and still managed to hold on to #1.

BTW, don't be surprised if Snyder wins COY. He is easily in the the top 3 for the award this year.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,428

Post#20 » by TrueLAfan » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:33 pm

Utah is a very good team. Kinda funny—I went to school at Mizzou, so I knew about Quin Snyder (ex-coach) and Jordan Clarkson long before most people. They’re a well constructed, well coached team. I think it will be a very tough series.

We tend to have more perimeter play than interior play, which negates the strengths of Gobert a little bit, which I think will help us. I also think, as a couple of people have suggested, we may see a little more of Boogie out there. It will also help—a lot—if Serge can get some minutes.

I agree with idea that the lineup makeup of the Jazz, in general, is better for the Clippers than Dallas was/is. Of course, that means that more people have to step—Utah has more weapons than the Mavs, so we’ll have to have better D overall. Fortunately, players that got little burn against Dallas, like Rondo and PatBev and even 2Pat, are going get some time and, hopefully, help.

Utah can play D. Maybe the best thing to come out of Game 7 for us was the great shooting by so many players. We’ll need that. Utah is legitimately excellent defensive team. It will be important to get scoring from multiple players and move the ball well (again, like we did in Game 7). Keep them reactive, not proactive, on D. I think some of the lesser Utah offensive players might struggle if we’re aggressive on both ends. That’s the hope, at least.

Should be a great series.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers