ImageImageImage

What's your perfect(realistic) offseason?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Re: What's your perfect(realistic) offseason? 

Post#261 » by arkuo » Mon Jun 7, 2021 6:41 am

I also think some adjustments have to be made with Luka's ball dominance and heavy usage rate.

The lack of another ball handler is evident, but when DSJ was here, he barely touched the ball and he was a ball handler. My point is the Mavs and Luka have to be on the same page. Do they want another ball handler because even if management gets one but if Luka isnt good off ball, it doesnt make sense.

Ball movement has to be key. Of course Luka can score 40 if he takes 30 shots. I think more plays have to be called for others. This also preserves Luka for the 4th quarter and not come up like 0 for 6.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,549

Post#262 » by Bob8 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 7:11 am

arkuo wrote:I also think some adjustments have to be made with Luka's ball dominance and heavy usage rate.

The lack of another ball handler is evident, but when DSJ was here, he barely touched the ball and he was a ball handler. My point is the Mavs and Luka have to be on the same page. Do they want another ball handler because even if management gets one but if Luka isnt good off ball, it doesnt make sense.

Ball movement has to be key. Of course Luka can score 40 if he takes 30 shots. I think more plays have to be called for others. This also preserves Luka for the 4th quarter and not come up like 0 for 6.

Luka has won Eurobasket playing mostly off ball, Dragic running the show. But the problem is not Mavs with Luka on the court. The problem is Mavs without Luka. If Mavs had playmaker to run second unit for at least 10 minutes and not losing a lot, Mavs would have easily won. Rubio would have been enough.
Yes Luka is shooting a lot, but he had the highest eFG% too. In playoffs all stars are playing and shooting more, you want your best player to do as much as possible. Difference between best teams and Mavericks is, that others have more than 1 player capable of great game, or people, who can make difference in D. Change KP with Gobert and Mavs are title contenders.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#263 » by arkuo » Mon Jun 7, 2021 7:15 am

Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:I also think some adjustments have to be made with Luka's ball dominance and heavy usage rate.

Luka has won Eurobasket playing mostly off ball, Dragic running the show. But the problem is not Mavs with Luka on the court. The problem is Mavs without Luka. If Mavs had playmaker to run second unit for at least 10 minutes and not losing a lot, Mavs would have easily won. Rubio would have been enough.
Yes Luka is shooting a lot, but he had the highest eFG% too. In playoffs all stars are playing and shooting more, you won't your best player to do as much as possible. Difference between best teams and Mavericks is, that others have more than 1 player capable of great game, or people, who can make difference in D. Change KP with Gobert and Mavs are title contenders.

My point is Luka is just too good to play off ball. The numbers are just better with him handling the ball. I'd trust him having the ball that some secondary playmaker.

The thing is instead of looking for a new point guard, just get better scorers around Luka. I'm afraid the mavs are stuck with KP's contract for a while. That makes 3 starting spots open. Including the decision to sign THJ to a big contract or not. DFS and Maxi have to be moved out or to the bench.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,549

Post#264 » by Bob8 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 7:21 am

arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Yes Luka is shooting a lot, but he had the highest eFG% too. In playoffs all stars are playing and shooting more, you won't your best player to do as much as possible. Difference between best teams and Mavericks is, that others have more than 1 player capable of great game, or people, who can make difference in D. Change KP with Gobert and Mavs are title contenders.

My point is Luka is just too good to play off ball. The numbers are just better with him handling the ball. I'd trust him having the ball that some secondary playmaker.

The thing is instead of looking for a new point guard, just get better scorers around Luka. I'm afraid the mavs are stuck with KP's contract for a while. That makes 3 starting spots open. Including the decision to sign THJ to a big contract or not. DFS and Maxi have to be moved out or to the bench.

Mavs need at least player like Rubio, someone has to run second unit, and decent 5. Shooters will of course help too, but player like Rubio and decent 5 shouldn't be too difficult to attend. Trading KP is a must too.
Bluelabel24
Junior
And1: 51

Post#265 » by Bluelabel24 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 7:40 am

a little bit of system change with lukas usage rate and KP trade would make a ton of difference.
here are some trade scenarios that i think are realistic for KP at this point.

KP, Green for J isaac,C Okeke, Gary Harris
KP, Kleber or Brunson for Rubio, Mcdaniels, Beasley, Vanderbilt.
KP, Green for Turner, Warren, Sumner

i know the scenarios a underwhelming but you gotta balance it and think of it from the opposing team GMs perspective.
KP all season has been below average and im not even gonna discuss his offense but focus on his defense.
Hes been terrible out there despite his ton of rest and high maintenance behavior. He lets a bad shooting night dictate everything and forgets that there are 2 sides in basketball(offense/defense) love this quote from Tony Allen" defensive effort is something in your control it shouldnt matter if your 10/10 or 0/10 out there"

id love to be wrong though in that other teams would still be willing to give up more for KP, of course id like a bigger haul compared to these scenarios.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#266 » by arkuo » Mon Jun 7, 2021 7:40 am

I wonder how Mavs fans feel about a sign and trade swap between THJ and Duncan Robinson?

Minor move, both shooters, both free agents. Robinson is 6'7 SF. THJ is 6'4 SG.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,336

Post#267 » by Mavrelous » Mon Jun 7, 2021 8:34 am

arkuo wrote:I wonder how Mavs fans feel about a sign and trade swap between THJ and Duncan Robinson?

It's a lateral move IMO, THJ fits well here, Mavs should target a PG as top priority this off season, and they should look at what to do with KP.

BTW look at the Clippers, they have many middle of the pack names signed to double digit salary, Morris, Kennard, PatBev, Zubac and Ibaka, and their 3rd, 4th and 5th best players are vet. min guys, Nic Batum, Reggie Jackson and Terrence Mann, you need luck also.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
arkuo
General Manager

Post#268 » by arkuo » Mon Jun 7, 2021 9:11 am

KhalilS wrote:
arkuo wrote:I wonder how Mavs fans feel about a sign and trade swap between THJ and Duncan Robinson?

It's a lateral move IMO, THJ fits well here, Mavs should target a PG as top priority this off season, and they should look at what to do with KP.

BTW look at the Clippers, they have many middle of the pack names signed to double digit salary, Morris, Kennard, PatBev, Zubac and Ibaka, and their 3rd, 4th and 5th best players are vet. min guys, Nic Batum, Reggie Jackson and Terrence Mann, you need luck also.

That's the thing with the Mavs. The Clippers nailed down two All NBA guys BEFORE locking in those middle of the pack guys to double digit salaries. The Mavs did the opposite and signed Powell, Kleber, Curry, Delon Wright etc to double digit salaries even before they figured out what to do with their starting 5. Now they're almost at the cap, with no picks, 3 more years of Porzingis and THJ feels like he can get Harrison Barnes money now.

Every contender needs to nail down stars first before they overpay role players. Even the Lakers had Lebron and AD locked in before they started spending on Harrell, Kuzma, KCP, Shroder etc.

It seems the Mavs spent extra on a very luxurious carriage way before they figured out where to get the horse. It goes back to Cuban thinking Dallas is like LA where free agents come in droves to sign with him. They don't. Giannis chose to freeze in Milwaukee than play for him. Just last summer, Jae Crowder had it down to the Suns and the Mavs but chose Arizona. Imagine choosing to play for Sarver before considering Cuban. Yes, Sarver who brought a goat to the office - Sarver. Before Cuban.
tribulations
Analyst
And1: 1,276

Post#269 » by tribulations » Mon Jun 7, 2021 9:12 am

Hopefully Domantas Sabonis tells Indy FO he won't be resigning and we can trade for cents on the dollar.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,336

Post#270 » by Mavrelous » Mon Jun 7, 2021 9:28 am

arkuo wrote:
KhalilS wrote:

That's the thing with the Mavs. The Clippers nailed down two All NBA guys BEFORE locking in those middle of the pack guys to double digit salaries. The Mavs did the opposite and signed Powell, Kleber, Curry, Delon Wright etc to double digit salaries even before they figured out what to do with their starting 5. Now they're almost at the cap, with no picks, 3 more years of Porzingis and THJ feels like he can get Harrison Barnes money now.

Every contender needs to nail down stars first before they overpay role players. Even the Lakers had Lebron and AD locked in before they started spending on Harrell, Kuzma, KCP, Shroder etc.

It seems the Mavs spent extra on a very luxurious carriage way before they figured out where to get the horse. It goes back to Cuban thinking Dallas is like LA where free agents come in droves to sign with him. They don't. Giannis chose to freeze in Milwaukee than play for him. Just last summer, Jae Crowder had it down to the Suns and the Mavs but chose Arizona. Imagine choosing to play for Sarver before considering Cuban. Yes, Sarver who brought a goat to the office - Sarver. Before Cuban.

Totally agree, FO screwed up.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
MrOrange
Senior
And1: 417

Post#271 » by MrOrange » Mon Jun 7, 2021 9:43 am

arkuo wrote:
KhalilS wrote:

It is a very interesting thing from a personš perspective who does not live in the USA. What is it with Dallas or Cuban or the organization that Mavs have not developed as an attractive place for FAs? Because you get an impression that MC would bend over backwards to make his players comfortable, Dallas is by no means a small market. well, less media exposure, sure. Is it just that NBA is reduced to prioritizing being on either of the two coasts, major cities and preferably close to the ocean? :)
bartlettbear
Sophomore
And1: 17

Post#272 » by bartlettbear » Mon Jun 7, 2021 10:50 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
bartlettbear wrote:FIre RC

Hire Kidd

Trade KP and Richardson to the Celtics for Brown and Smart

Then go get Thadeus Young for Brunson

Resign Tim

Kebler, Young, Smart, Brown, Luka

DFS and Tim off the bench

Way to troll

Trll, please , RC is the biggest problem the Mavs and they wont win until he is gone
bartlettbear
Sophomore

Post#273 » by bartlettbear » Mon Jun 7, 2021 10:53 am

agentofatlas wrote:
bartlettbear wrote:FIre RC

Hire Kidd

Trade KP and Richardson to the Celtics for Brown and Smart

Then go get Thadeus Young for Brunson

Resign Tim

Kebler, Young, Smart, Brown, Luka

DFS and Tim off the bench

My worst nightmare. Jkidd is my favorite player ever along with Dirk but he is not the coach for this team. Thank God Luka and Cuban has RC's back in the presser.

As for the offseason, getting a rim running big and a point guard/playmaker would be huge for this team.

Mark Aquirre is my favorite Mav player of all time and Kidd is the right coach because he will attract players, it is players league and the Mavs are still run like it is 1990.

Guys dont want to play for RC
bartlettbear
Sophomore

Post#274 » by bartlettbear » Mon Jun 7, 2021 10:59 am

MrOrange wrote:
arkuo wrote:
KhalilS wrote:

It is a very interesting thing from a personš perspective who does not live in the USA. What is it with Dallas or Cuban or the organization that Mavs have not developed as an attractive place for FAs? Because you get an impression that MC would bend over backwards to make his players comfortable, Dallas is by no means a small market. well, less media exposure, sure. Is it just that NBA is reduced to prioritizing being on either of the two coasts, major cities and preferably close to the ocean? :)

Carlise is the main reason why guys dont sign here, Rondo is one of the most respected players in the league among the players , RC also did Noel dirty if the can play for Tibs he can play anywhere except in Dallas.

RIck could not get a thing out of McGee,
agentofatlas
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#275 » by agentofatlas » Mon Jun 7, 2021 12:45 pm

bartlettbear wrote:
MrOrange wrote:
arkuo wrote:

Carlise is the main reason why guys dont sign here, Rondo is one of the most respected players in the league among the players , RC also did Noel dirty if the can play for Tibs he can play anywhere except in Dallas.

RIck could not get a thing out of McGee,

I think it's more Cuban honestly. He said some wild stuff that would make any NBA player side-eye.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#276 » by DJ_3_Ball » Mon Jun 7, 2021 1:15 pm

agentofatlas wrote:
bartlettbear wrote:RIck could not get a thing out of McGee,

I think it's more Cuban honestly. He said some wild stuff that would make any NBA player side-eye.

I don't know about Cuban being the problem. Most players respect the way he's involved & wants to win. Plus, I think a few are curious to learn more about how to run a business, etc. Maybe some of the stuff he said about Westbrook a while back wasn't the greatest, but overall I think Cuban is a big plus.

Carlisle is another story. I bet there's some players in the league that have the Mavs crossed off their list because of him. Maybe a few who also look at Carlisle as a plus.

More than anything, I think players will want to come to Dallas & play with Luka. This just happens to be a very subpar FA class this summer. From here on out tho, I would believe the Mavs are a favorite to land FAs. We're 12 - 18 months away from Luka being widely declared the best player in the NBA.
agentofatlas
Sixth Man

Post#277 » by agentofatlas » Mon Jun 7, 2021 1:22 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
agentofatlas wrote:
bartlettbear wrote:RIck could not get a thing out of McGee,

I don't know about Cuban being the problem. Most players respect the way he's involved & wants to win. Plus, I think a few are curious to learn more about how to run a business, etc. Maybe some of the stuff he said about Westbrook a while back wasn't the greatest, but overall I think Cuban is a big plus.

Carlisle is another story. I bet there's some players in the league that have the Mavs crossed off their list because of him. Maybe a few who also look at Carlisle as a plus.

More than anything, I think players will want to come to Dallas & play with Luka. This just happens to be a very subpar FA class this summer. From here on out tho, I would believe the Mavs are a favorite to land FAs. We're 12 - 18 months away from Luka being widely declared the best player in the NBA.

Dude look up some of the things he has said. Not just Westbrook but well just look it up.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#278 » by DJ_3_Ball » Mon Jun 7, 2021 1:35 pm

agentofatlas wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:
agentofatlas wrote:

Dude look up some of the things he has said. Not just Westbrook but well just look it up.

Have you looked up any of the positive things players have said about Cuban? There's players on other teams in this league who consult Cuban for business advice. He's not hated.

What comments are you referring to?
agentofatlas
Sixth Man

Post#279 » by agentofatlas » Mon Jun 7, 2021 1:48 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
agentofatlas wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:

Have you looked up any of the positive things players have said about Cuban? There's players on other teams in this league who consult Cuban for business advice. He's not hated.

What comments are you referring to?

The Trayvon thing was bad. I mean Jesus Christ read the room. The AAU comment has some merits but it could have been said in a more palatable way. Also there was the off-season he was hyping up courting Deron Williams (this was when he was good) then it turns out he didn't even show up for the meeting and taped shark tank instead. Those are just the things that stand out.

Now Mark is not a bad owner. Dude is passionate and better than most owners in the NBA but I can see why players don't vibe with him much.
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#280 » by JJP » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:06 pm

Players sign with teams when the salary is right. That's all. That's how they are valued.

If most things are equal, a big market coastal team has the advantage.... but no player is saying I think I'll turn down that salary because of the owner. If that were true, then nobody would have signed with the Clippers when Don Sterling was owner - and they had a borderline playoff team then. Phoenix had the worst owner in the league for several years. Articles were written about it. But their draft picks all signed and they are largely now a playoff team.

Head coaches are a little different, but most players don't work with head coaches on a daily basis. Maybe the player doesn't like the team's system, but teams know advance what player is a good fit. Head coaches are hardly an issue I would think.

Players have egos. Their prestige is largely based on the size of their salary. They might ring-chase if LeBron is their teammate, but that's the exception.

Return to Dallas Mavericks