Memphis 2021 Offseason Discussion

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Memphis 2021 Offseason Discussion 

Post#1 » by VCfor3 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 4:29 am

Guess it is time to officially wrap this season up and begin to look ahead.
-Heck of a season by our young squad.
-Ja was excellent at the end.
-Brooks thrives on high stake emotions.
-Would have loved to see a healthy JJJ have a chance to develop.
-Bane and Tillman are crazy good value picks for where we got them.
-Hopefully Clarke gets back on track this offseason. I also think playing with a non-post-injury JJJ will help Clarke as well.
-Anderson is a stud glue guy
-Melton led the team for a second year in a row in a lot of advanced metrics. Hate he got cold at the end of the season until the last two games.
-Allen is a legit NBA player though I think it is currently as a bench-caliber player where as Jenkins sees him as a starting-caliber player. He could very well get there, but I like him as a gunner off the bench. Utah was hunting him on defense this series which was tough since we needed his 3pt shooting.
-JV is a monster
-I still love Tyus as a backup PG
-Winslow needs a full healthy offseason to work on things. He hasn't had one of those in years.
-Konchar is such a great end of the bench guy who can step in when needed due to injuries or whatever
-Tillie looked pretty decent in his limited minutes
-Jontay Porter didn't impress me
-Sean McD needs to be replaced this offseason though I think he might have played well in the G league bubble?

Moving forward we have an interesting (or potentially very uninteresting) offseason ahead of us. There is a real chance we don't do anything, but ideally we find a way to add a potential core piece. I loved the Winslow lottery ticket last season even though it didn't work out. Hopefully this time we will capitalize on an even better opportunity.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,814

Re: Memphis 2021 Offseason Discussion 

Post#2 » by psman2 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 5:39 am

I think we need to decide what do with our expiring guys. Do we want to give Anderson and Val their next contracts? Both will likely get 17-20m a season if they play like they did this year or do we cash in their value now that is likely the highest it has ever been during their tenure here. Gather assets for a future trade or try to trade up in this draft. Take a step back next year to take a bigger step hopefully in a few years.

Regarding Winslow I just cannot see the justification of bringing him back at this point, unless he agrees to a much smaller contract with team options.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#3 » by E S V L » Thu Jun 3, 2021 5:13 pm

Only Sean disappointed me

Porter is still a kid. I am impressed how smooth is his shooting mechanic. He needs to work a lot on his strength, physicality, position awareness, body control and footwork. There is still a chance that he grew into something, though the chance is small.
FK NFL
E S V L
Analyst

Post#4 » by E S V L » Thu Jun 3, 2021 5:21 pm

psman2 wrote:I think we need to decide what do with our expiring guys.

I think it is a very good question: who are our long-term pieces. My view:
Tier 1: Ja
Tier 2: DB, JJJ
Tier 3: Melton, Tillman, Konchar (as a symbol)

Kyle and JV? I love them, but I don’t see them as core players years ahead.

Bane, Clarke, Allen, Tyus are all replaceable.

Re Winslow, if he doesn’t hurt our locker room, I would give him another chance. The FA market is quite poor.
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#5 » by Whole Truth » Fri Jun 4, 2021 5:44 pm

My offseason is down to

- trade for Jaylen Brown, if available.
- trade up in the draft, if possible
- draft BPA at draft position.
- run it back, as this team has a lot of room for organic growth.

Anderson & Brooks provided lessons in exercising patience where both were all but traded last offseason. Anyone basing decisions on the top seed knocking out the young team, lol.

If Memphis do decide to trade it should be for a clear upgrade or to move up in the draft, no lateral movement.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#6 » by E S V L » Sun Jun 6, 2021 12:43 pm

Jv said he is going to focus on his 3pt shooting in postseason which makes total sense.

Bane will focus on ball-handling and 3pt shooting (beyond straight, open shots)
FK NFL
E S V L
Analyst

Post#7 » by E S V L » Sun Jun 6, 2021 12:51 pm

All eyes are on Kleiman. He has too many juicy assets to stay passive during the draft and postseason.
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#8 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jun 7, 2021 12:46 am

Anyone here ever cut hard wood with a hand saw ?

If you have, you'd know the secret to cutting a straight line is to let the saw do the pulling or the wood grain could pull you off line if you force the cut.

What do I mean?.

In short, don't force things... what ever direction Memphis end up taking, let opportunity dictate direction, it's the blade keeping the saw on line. Force any direction & the grain will pull you off track. Forcing, creates desperation. To ensure cutting a straight line, you have to be sure & steady, you do that by making the best available move, whether that's doing something or nothing at all.

3J who didn't play all season returning healthy & possibly improved alone takes this team to a place where they can potentially be playing for home court. Remember, Memphis besides not having 3J most of the year, went with a deep rotation & steep development curve that impacted wins & losses where they could have been vying for 6th/7th seed. Like Anderson & Brooks this past year.. what does this team look like if 3J goes from everyone wanting to trade him to a career/break out yr ?. (Organic)

Recognition of opportunity, shapes direction. Whether that's trading for a proven Brown, if available or a top 5 draft pick, if possible... Memphis are in a position of leverage, strength, if they don't force things.

Memphis can sit on their ass all offseason, draft or no draft (BPA) & still come back considerably better.

Understanding that + (patience) = leverage.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#9 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jun 7, 2021 9:43 am

I like the idea of targeting Ball in FA.

He's got the size to play with Morant. Defender, secondary ball handler/playmaker & capable 3pt threat who shot 38% on 3 APG . Memphis could run Melton, Allen, Bane as the bench unit & potentially use Ball as a backup PG as well, which would allow Memphis to trade Jones & potentially one of Melton/Allen/Bane, if necessary.

Go with the Memphis fan draft suggestion of drafting Christopher at 17, who's a walking bucket.

Ball FA + Christopher @ 17 IMO is a far better play on all fronts than trading 3J's defensive potential for Ingram's offense.

If Memphis likes Anderson more than Clarke at PF, trade/package Clarke for another pick if possible 20-25, take Garuba to give Memphis options with Jonas free agency/potential deadline trade..

JA / (Jones / Melton) - Ball
Ball / Allen - #17 Christopher
Brooks / Bane - Konchar
3J / (Anderson / Clarke) - Tillie
Jonas / Tillman - #20-25 Garuba

Jones or Melton/Allen?
Ckarke or Anderson?
E S V L
Analyst

Post#10 » by E S V L » Mon Jun 7, 2021 12:59 pm

1. Is Garuba a PF?
2. Would Ball agree to 10-15 min behind Ja?
3. Do we really want to give Ball any minutes at SG owned by Melton, Allen, Bane, Brooks? Is he dynamic enough to play off the ball and separate from defenders?
4. Are we going to resign JV or JJJ is our future center?
5. Would Christopher get enough time to grow given our roster is full of established young SGs?
6. Should we keep Winslow?
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#11 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:41 pm

E S V L wrote:1. Is Garuba a PF?
3. Do we really want to give Ball any minutes at SG owned by Melton, Allen, Bane, Brooks? Is he dynamic enough to play off the ball and separate from defenders?
5. Would Christopher get enough time to grow given our roster is full of established young SGs?

1, Garuba is a PF/C, gritty, smart, energetic, small ball defender.

2, Ball would be starting next to Ja & possibly run some backup/3rd string point, if needed. Melton is not ready to be a full time backup PG yet with his propensity for TO's. So if Memphis decide to move Jones to develop Melton as such, Ball would be insurance to his development struggles freeing up Jones current salary.

3, Each team dynamic is different. Ball has the size, he can play defense, he can handle the ball, has playmaking ability & shoots 3 APG at a 38% clip. He could be what Memphis was hoping Winslow would be. Much better option than Kemba :)

4, I still believe 3J is not ready to play C full time both mentally & physically. So I see him as a PF playing situational C, which is unfortunate for one of Anderson or Clarke. There are teams Jonas dominates situationally, so if he can be resigned at the right $ amount, I would. Memphis can use 3J in small ball situations until he shows he's ready to be a full time C. Then & only then, I'd move on from Jonas. I love Tillman also but I don't think he can endure & be effective in a full season at C with his size, if he's not backing 3J. Utah/Gobert exposed that. If not, it was a perfect small situation to use him & Jenkins couldn't because of Gobert's size & offensive rebounding.

5, In signing Ball, I have one of Allen or Melton & Jones available to trade. Possibly packaged with Clarke. Christopher is a scorer. Wouldn't shock me to see him earn the 6th man role in his rookie yr. Not sure what it would take to land a pick in the 20-25 range to draft Garuba. He would be an insurance piece to Jonas becoming a free agent or deadline trade option, if 3J looks ready..

6, If Memphis decide it's a nice risk/reward to sign Ball, no to picking up Winslow. The question should be who would be better option to enter the season with. Give Winslow another chance to stay healthy @ 17m & prove he's not a offensive liability or give Ball a little more & a chance, where he's shooting 38% from 3 on decent volume & can also serve in the same capacity as hoped for Winslow from secondary defensive starter to backup PG/3rd string insurance, if Memphis want to develop Melton as a backup PG, they can move on from Jones & have insurance to Melton struggling. Letting Winslow & Jones go = 25m roughly, freed up to throw behind Wall, who unlike Jones, can theoretically play next to Ja, not assuming chemistry issues.

Basically, if it were a consolidation trade instead of shuffling money it would be, Winslow/Jones for Ball.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#12 » by E S V L » Mon Jun 7, 2021 5:22 pm

Spoiler:
Whole Truth wrote:

2, Ball would be starting next to Ja & possibly run some backup/3rd string point, if needed. Melton is not ready to be a full time backup PG yet with his propensity for TO's. So if Memphis decide to move Jones to develop Melton as such, Ball would be insurance to his development struggles freeing up Jones current salary.

3, Each team dynamic is different. Ball has the size, he can play defense, he can handle the ball, has playmaking ability & shoots 3 APG at a 38% clip. He could be what Memphis was hoping Winslow would be. Much better option than Kemba :)

4, I still believe 3J is not ready to play C full time both mentally & physically. So I see him as a PF playing situational C, which is unfortunate for one of Anderson or Clarke. There are teams Jonas dominates situationally, so if he can be resigned at the right $ amount, I would. Memphis can use 3J in small ball situations until he shows he's ready to be a full time C. Then & only then, I'd move on from Jonas. I love Tillman also but I don't think he can endure & be effective in a full season at C with his size, if he's not backing 3J. Utah/Gobert exposed that. If not, it was a perfect small situation to use him & Jenkins couldn't because of Gobert's size & offensive rebounding.

5, In signing Ball, I have one of Allen or Melton & Jones available to trade. Possibly packaged with Clarke. Christopher is a scorer. Wouldn't shock me to see him earn the 6th man role in his rookie yr. Not sure what it would take to land a pick in the 20-25 range to draft Garuba. He would be an insurance piece to Jonas becoming a free agent or deadline trade option, if 3J looks ready..

6, If Memphis decide it's a nice risk/reward to sign Ball, no to picking up Winslow. The question should be who would be better option to enter the season with. Give Winslow another chance to stay healthy @ 17m & prove he's not a offensive liability or give Ball a little more & a chance, where he's shooting 38% from 3 on decent volume & can also serve in the same capacity as hoped for Winslow from secondary defensive starter to backup PG/3rd string insurance, if Memphis want to develop Melton as a backup PG, they can move on from Jones & have insurance to Melton struggling. Letting Winslow & Jones go = 25m roughly, freed up to throw behind Wall, who unlike Jones, can theoretically play next to Ja, not assuming chemistry issues.

Basically, if it were a consolidation trade instead of shuffling money it would be, Winslow/Jones for Ball.

Thanks bro. Your view is always interesting and highly appreciated.

I have doubts that:

1. Garuba can play a center with his 6`8.
2. Ball can effectively play any role outside of PG (he has never been an elite PG either). I don`t believe he can do anything there beyond defending SG and shooting open 3pt shots.
3. Ball will be satisficed with any role behind Ja.
4. Ball can overcome his looser experience.
5. Ball has a right GNG mentality.

At the some time, I have no doubts that:
6. Melton, Allen, Bane are and will be better shooting guards than Ball.
7. Unlike Kyle, JV cannot be a long term solution for Memphis and, therefore, he won`t be resigned.
8. Garuba is our guy. My top-3.

Re Winslow:
8. If he accepts the need to be retrained almost from scratch to become a good 3&D and if he is not a problem for our locker room, then I am fine with picking his option so that he go through a full preseason training designed specially for him.
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#13 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jun 7, 2021 6:05 pm

E S V L wrote:
Spoiler:
Whole Truth wrote:

I have doubts that:

2. Ball can effectively play any role outside of PG or a second guard who defend SG and shoots open 3pt shots.

I have no doubt thats:
7. Unlike Kyle, JV cannot be a long term solution for Memphis and, therefore, he won`t be resigned.

Re Winslow:
8. If he accepts the need to be retrained almost from scratch to become a good 3&D and if he is not a problem for our locker room, then I am fine with picking his option so that he go through a full preseason training designed specially for him.

1, It's not listed but watch his arms, they touch his knees. Wouldn't shock me that his standing reach + athleticism would make up the 2 inch difference, while at his "size", it's why he'd be more mobile defending in small ball situations. Another factor is his aggression & energy in the post which 3J lacks.. & would most likely be lost if or when this team no longer has Jonas. (If I find his wing span, standing reach, I'll try & post it).

Concerns 2-5. Environment shapes & molds a persons behavior. Ball has played on 2 young losing teams. Memphis have good character players on a winning team that could positively impact him & his game. I would say he's a product of his environment. While concerns are warranted, there's only one way to satisfy them. Memphis are throwing nothing more than money that will be coming off the books between Winslow & Jones to take that chance. (My concern would be his father).

Your no doubters seem more like bias.

- I think there's argument Ball has the better combination of defense, size, playmaking & 3pt shooting than all mentioned.

- Jonas is one year older than Anderson. So it all comes down to where 3J is best suited. If you think Jonas has no future with the team, it's because you see 3J as the starting C, so having Garuba as a top 3 option, still means one of Anderson or Clarke is gone. Where I had Garuba at C as insurance to Jonas being lost to free agency or trade with 3J spending most of his time at PF. Not sure of your interest in Garuba if you think 3J should be the starting C ?. You're either drafting Garuba at 17 or trading for an additional pick to replace Clarke ?. Where I think #17 would be better spent on Christopher.

Concerning picking up Winslow.

Sounds like Memphis just trying to save face. Both injury concern & offensive liability hover over that option, where Ball replaces need for both Winslow & Jones. As both an off ball defensive playmaker to Ja in the starting rotation to insurance 3rd string PG to a developing Melton at backup PG. Where if there's any issues with Melton in that development role, Ball could be a primary backup in Jones current use.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#14 » by E S V L » Mon Jun 7, 2021 7:18 pm

Spoiler:
Whole Truth wrote:
E S V L wrote:[spoiler]
Whole Truth wrote:

I have doubts that:

2. Ball can effectively play any role outside of PG or a second guard who defend SG and shoots open 3pt shots.

I have no doubt thats:

Re Winslow:

1, It's not listed but watch his arms, they touch his knees. Wouldn't shock me that his standing reach + athleticism would make up the 2 inch difference, while at his "size", it's why he'd be more mobile defending in small ball situations. Another factor is his aggression & energy in the post which 3J lacks.. & would most likely be lost if or when this team no longer has Jonas. (If I find his wing span, standing reach, I'll try & post it).

Concerns 2-5. Environment shapes & molds a persons behavior. Ball has played on 2 young losing teams. Memphis have good character players on a winning team that could positively impact him & his game. I would say he's a product of his environment. While concerns are warranted, there's only one way to satisfy them. Memphis are throwing nothing more than money that will be coming off the books between Winslow & Jones to take that chance. (My concern would be his father).

Your no doubters seem more like bias.

- I think there's argument Ball has the better combination of defense, size, playmaking & 3pt shooting than all mentioned.

- Jonas is one year older than Anderson. So it all comes down to where 3J is best suited. If you think Jonas has no future with the team, it's because you see 3J as the starting C, so having Garuba as a top 3 option, still means one of Anderson or Clarke is gone. Where I had Garuba at C as insurance to Jonas being lost to free agency or trade with 3J spending most of his time at PF. Not sure of your interest in Garuba if you think 3J should be the starting C ?. You're either drafting Garuba at 17 or trading for an additional pick to replace Clarke ?. Where I think #17 would be better spent on Christopher.

Concerning picking up Winslow.

Sounds like Memphis just trying to save face. Both injury concern & offensive liability hover over that option, where Ball replaces need for both Winslow & Jones. As both an off ball defensive playmaker to Ja in the starting rotation to insurance 3rd string PG to a developing Melton at backup PG. Where if there's any issues with Melton in that development role, Ball could be a primary backup in Jones current use.

1. Good point. I really want you to be right on Garuba. But only if we manage to select him :)

Re Ball, I still strongly disagree. I believe Melton is very close to a starting rotation and breakthrough season. He is 8 months younger than Ball and deserves his chance. Not to mention, that Ball`s personality and face especially directly contradict the GNG nature.

Re Jonas, I don`t want to go into another circle concerning his weaknesses. Yes, I think Garuba - JJJ will be a great long term frontcourt.

Re Christopher, he is a talent, though his tunnel vision scares me. I don`t believe we need another Mayo or Rudy Gay. Garuba is already a highly impactful player. I am not sure Christopher will be.

Re Winslow, it is a good point re "saving face". I hope our FO understands the danger of this pots-trade effect.

To sum up, having investigated available opportunities on the T&T section, I believe that there are no FA that can improve our team. Neither Winslow, nor Ball or Powell should be our options. We should decline Winslow, keep our cap space, target Garuba on the 2021 draft, and see what opportunities will be presented by Fall 2021 and Winter 2022.
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#15 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:12 am

Game 1 of Utah, Jazz, with no Conley & Utah bricking a ton of open looks first half, Clippers still lost & with a far more favorable whistle..

Gobert moving screen called, Cousins flops rewarded, Utah having to use a challenge on a good made bucket.. Kawhi knocking the ball out of bounds down the stretch in front of the ref, gets it back, followed by a "missed" up & down 2, to close Utah's late 9pt lead to 4. LMAO.. If only Memphis got that kind of love..

Utah needed both Conley & DM to beat Memphis, along with a much better whistle than they got tonight.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#16 » by E S V L » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:56 pm

Whole Truth wrote:Game 1 of Utah, Jazz, with no Conley & Utah bricking a ton of open looks first half, Clippers still lost & with a far more favorable whistle..

Gobert moving screen called, Cousins flops rewarded, Utah having to use a challenge on a good made bucket.. Kawhi knocking the ball out of bounds down the stretch in front of the ref, gets it back, followed by a "missed" up & down 2, to close Utah's late 9pt lead to 4. LMAO.. If only Memphis got that kind of love..

Utah needed both Conley & DM to beat Memphis, along with a much better whistle than they got tonight.

I share you feelings here
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#17 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:55 pm

E S V L wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:Game 1 of Utah, Jazz, with no Conley & Utah bricking a ton of open looks first half, Clippers still lost & with a far more favorable whistle..

I share you feelings here

On other Memphis forums, the fans are wondering how Zubac & Cousins physicality was so effective on Gobert in comparison to Jonas who has a 7yr career of being effective against Gobert. It's basically a combination of officiating, Conley being out & Clippers having more perimeter defenders.

When DM was out game 1 & Brooks was able to lock down just Conley, Jonas was +15 in a one possession game & Snyder had to take Gobert off of the matchup & bring him back against the bench. DM's return spread Brooks too thin & the officials took care of the post matchup giving Gobert the upper hand + rewarding their 3pt flops, flops in general, at points Memphis were making their runs. As I pointed out above they did for the Clippers game 1 with Jazz up 9 late 4th, turning a blind eye to Kawhi knocking the ball out of bounds to give them back possession for a 3pt bucket, followed by not calling a clear up & down violation which gave them 5 points total on those back to back calls which cut into Jazz 9pt lead, to make it 4... Only reason Clippers had any opportunity to tie the game in which Jazz shot poorly 1st half.

Officials did to Jazz game 1, what they did to Memphis the entire series.

I know this.. favorable or non favorable whistle, Jazz weren't beating Memphis without both DM & Conley playing.
gardenofsound
Starter
And1: 1,780

Post#18 » by gardenofsound » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:17 pm

Hey guys, Bulls fan here in peace.

What's your future PF/C rotation expected to be? With Clarke, Anderson, JJJ, Valanciunas, Porter, etc., I wonder who will end up being the odd man (men?) out?

The Bulls are very likely to move on from Lauri Markkanen so will have an opening at starting PF. Thad Young probably doesn't have the legs to start and play big minutes anymore, and it seems like the Bulls view Patrick Williams as the SF of the foreseeable future.

I see the Bulls being good potential trade partners with Memphis on this front if there's anything in particular Memphis is looking for. LaVine, Vucevic, and Patrick Williams would not be available short of a Ja deal (we all know that's not happening), but just about anyone else would be on the table for the right deal. Bulls are also limited on what first round picks they can trade due to owing top 4 protected picks to ORL this year and in 2023.

Curious your thoughts here.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#19 » by E S V L » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:23 pm

gardenofsound wrote:Hey guys, Bulls fan here in peace.

What's your future PF/C rotation expected to be? With Clarke, Anderson, JJJ, Valanciunas, Porter, etc., I wonder who will end up being the odd man (men?) out?

The Bulls are very likely to move on from Lauri Markkanen so will have an opening at starting PF. Thad Young probably doesn't have the legs to start and play big minutes anymore, and it seems like the Bulls view Patrick Williams as the SF of the foreseeable future.

I see the Bulls being good potential trade partners with Memphis on this front if there's anything in particular Memphis is looking for. LaVine, Vucevic, and Patrick Williams would not be available short of a Ja deal (we all know that's not happening), but just about anyone else would be on the table for the right deal. Bulls are also limited on what first round picks they can trade due to owing top 4 protected picks to ORL this year and in 2023.

Curious your thoughts here.

Essentially, Chicago can offer Coby White or a remote 1st. I see that Memphis FO might consider moving Clarke for either in case they select Usman Garuba.
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#20 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:24 pm

I was reading the Boston board concerning Brown & the chances of them moving him. The general consensus I got is they would move him for either Beal or Brown to make the best of having Tatum before he might becomes disgruntled. There's also some belief, Brown could potentially walk in 3yrs also to cash in now...

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2021/06/07/celtics-damian-lillard-trade-chris-mannix/?p1=hp_featurestack

Here's what I'm thinking, Both Washington & Portland are currently in no mans land with supposedly better franchise talent than Brown so there might be some interest in an overpaying, rebuilding package to divert Brown to Memphis.

The frame work.

Washington/Portland choose to blow it up - trade Dame or Beal for a rebuilding package with an overpayment of picks

Boston trade Brown to get what they feel is a better fit next to Tatum - Dame or Beal

Memphis trade - considerable rebuilding package/picks for Brown.

Trade suggestion.

Portland trade - (Dame) for (3J, Boston 21 #16, Memphis 21 #17, Utah 22 top 6, GS 2024 top 4)

Boston trade - (Brown, R, Williams, #16) for (Dame, Melton)

Memphis trade - (3J, Melton, Memphis #17, Utah 22 top 6, GS 2024 top 4) for (Brown, R. Williams).

Return to Memphis Grizzlies