ImageImageImageImageImage

2020-21 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,258

Re: 2020-21 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2 

Post#481 » by mademan » Mon Jun 7, 2021 7:07 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:
DangerZone13 wrote:I'm wondering if we can swap Boucher, #44 and #46 to the Knicks for #21 and #32?

I think Boucher with one year left @ 7m and full bird rights is worth a mid to late FRP and I would swap 44 and 46 for 32 for exactly the reasons you noted, someone always falls out of the first that shouldn't have.

maybe, but i cant imagine the Raps are gonna bring 3 rookies onto the team next year while carrying Flynn/Harris and another 2nd year guy in Watanabe. Im not sure Raps can go back to winning with half the team being rookies/sophomores who barely played
h4rrison
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,102

Post#482 » by h4rrison » Mon Jun 7, 2021 7:10 pm

mademan wrote:
h4rrison wrote:
mademan wrote:
The Mavs gave him the ball in different spots throughout the first 2 games and he couldnt do anything. He's soft, doesnt rebound, doesnt defend besides a block here or there and cant really do much besides shoot and the occasional cut to the basket. Even if it cost the Raps nothing but paying him his max contract, it's an easy pass. He's got a crippling contract

That's not even going into him being a bad fit for the Raps. If he starts at the 5, Raps would be the worst rebounding team in the league while still lacking a first option and being capped out. Makes no sense

Fair enough. I'd still consider it. For context, Clips got out rebounded +12 in game 7 and totally destroyed the Mavs. I think rebounded is a bit overvalued in today's game with the volume of 3P shooting.

Rebounding isnt overvalued. Clips were just able to close the possession gap by forcing 6 more turnovers. Thats big (especially as turnovers lead to higher % shots on the other end).

KP is who he is at this point. He's a shooting big who doesnt do much else and is super unreliable from a health standpoint. I cant imagine team in the league taking him into cap space without significant assets attached (assets the Mavs dont have/wont be willing to give up)

We're in the top 10 in driving turnovers so maybe that would balance out the rebounding here :wink:
HangTime
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,593

Post#483 » by HangTime » Mon Jun 7, 2021 7:21 pm

OT

OG is a cross of Kawhi and Artest.

Ka-whi-A-Test. Quietest
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Post#484 » by Morris_Shatford » Mon Jun 7, 2021 7:46 pm

mademan wrote:
Morris_Shatford wrote:
DangerZone13 wrote:I'm wondering if we can swap Boucher, #44 and #46 to the Knicks for #21 and #32?

I think Boucher with one year left @ 7m and full bird rights is worth a mid to late FRP and I would swap 44 and 46 for 32 for exactly the reasons you noted, someone always falls out of the first that shouldn't have.

maybe, but i cant imagine the Raps are gonna bring 3 rookies onto the team next year while carrying Flynn/Harris and another 2nd year guy in Watanabe. Im not sure Raps can go back to winning with half the team being rookies/sophomores who barely played

I think anyone not our own pick likely lives in the G-League next season which is largely par for the course with a lot of our youth.
However I think that swapping Boucher for a pick somewhere in the middle / end of the first doesn't necessarily end up being a pick you use but rather one you attached to something and trade to address a hole with a more experienced player.
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#485 » by Morris_Shatford » Mon Jun 7, 2021 8:00 pm

On the topic of "Boucher for a FRP";

Lets say Boucher lands you pick 20 (for the sake of argument);

Who is the best player you can add using 20m of cap space for TPE creation and the 20th pick in 2021 and our own first in 2023?
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,489

Post#486 » by OakleyDokely » Mon Jun 7, 2021 8:32 pm

A sneaky FA pickup who you might be able to get for relatively cheap because of injuries is Otto Porter. Still only 28 years old, career 40% 3pt shooter and he can guard multiple positions. His skillset screams Raptors and he would add much needed wing depth.
alpngso
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,341

Post#487 » by alpngso » Mon Jun 7, 2021 8:49 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:A sneaky FA pickup who you might be able to get for relatively cheap because of injuries is Otto Porter. Still only 28 years old, career 40% 3pt shooter and he can guard multiple positions. His skillset screams Raptors and he would add much needed wing depth.

i like this. i think he’ll be decent wing role player who can shoot 36-38% from 3 that might be one of the cheaper options. wonder how he is after few injuries tho
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,489

Post#488 » by OakleyDokely » Mon Jun 7, 2021 8:54 pm

alpngso wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:A sneaky FA pickup who you might be able to get for relatively cheap because of injuries is Otto Porter. Still only 28 years old, career 40% 3pt shooter and he can guard multiple positions. His skillset screams Raptors and he would add much needed wing depth.

i like this. i think he’ll be decent wing role player who can shoot 36-38% from 3 that might be one of the cheaper options. wonder how he is after few injuries tho
The Raps could run out a lineup of 6'8+ switchable guys - OG, Porter, Siakam, Boucher/Birch with a ballhandler. Get lucky and draft Cade and you could run a complete lineup of 6'8 switchable guys.
Blood Orange
Sixth Man
And1: 2,795

Post#489 » by Blood Orange » Mon Jun 7, 2021 9:06 pm

Small trade

Bucks in: Rodney Hood
Bucks out: Brook Lopez

Raptors in: Brook Lopez
Raptors out: Rodney Hood

Why for the Bucks?
Bucks waive Hood, since his contract isn't guaranteed and saves cap space for next year and moves Portis into the starting 5 role

Why for the Raps?
Raps get a relatively cheap (12. mil) starting caliber 5 to fill the hole in their center rotation whose got plenty of playoff experience and who can stretch the floor
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,325

Post#490 » by douggood » Mon Jun 7, 2021 9:07 pm

Ivan Drago wrote:Small trade

Why for the Bucks?
Bucks waive Hood, since his contract isn't guaranteed and saves cap space for next year and moves Portis into the starting 5 role

Why for the Raps?
Raps get a relatively cheap (12. mil) starting caliber 5 to fill the hole in their center rotation whose got plenty of playoff experience who can stretch the floor

for trade to be legal, you will have to gurantee hoods contract. new cba rule, only guaranteed portions of contract can be used for salary matching.
this negates any benefits to the bucks.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,729

Post#491 » by VanWest82 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 9:09 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
alpngso wrote:

The Raps could run out a lineup of 6'8+ switchable guys - OG, Porter, Siakam, Boucher/Birch with a ballhandler. Get lucky and draft Cade and you could run a complete lineup of 6'8 switchable guys.

I strongly suspect based on my experience playing Ice Hockey on Nintendo back in the day that if we design our team with only medium size guys we'll be susceptible to teams who have a skinny guy that can skate right by us and a big, fat guy who can post us up in front of our net.

I like your plan of winning the lottery and getting to draft Cade though.
Blood Orange
Sixth Man

Post#492 » by Blood Orange » Mon Jun 7, 2021 9:09 pm

douggood wrote:
Ivan Drago wrote:Small trade

Why for the Bucks?

Why for the Raps?
Raps get a relatively cheap (12. mil) starting caliber 5 to fill the hole in their center rotation whose got plenty of playoff experience who can stretch the floor

for trade to be legal, you will have to gurantee hoods contract. new cba rule, only guaranteed portions of contract can be used for salary matching.
this negates any benefits to the bucks.

bummer
Blood Orange
Sixth Man

Post#493 » by Blood Orange » Tue Jun 8, 2021 1:27 am

Small trade

Raptors out: Siakam + SRP 2021
Raptors in: Giannis + Mallory Edens

Bucks out: Giannis + Mallory Edens
Bucks in: Siakam + SRP 2021

Why for the Raps?
Raps create a dynamic cheerleading duo, uniting long time adversary Mallory Edens with Drizzy Drake on the sidelines. And they also get Giannis.

Why for the Bucks?
Bucks sell high on Giannis and pick up Siakam who brings real leadership, championship experience and a reliable free throw shot.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,887

Post#494 » by OAKLEY_2 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 1:55 am

I like that but not sure I trust "relatively cheap". Would much rather have Korkmaz age 23 since we'll have so many young 20's players.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,424

Post#495 » by Rapsfan07 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:04 am

Morris_Shatford wrote:On the topic of "Boucher for a FRP";

Who is the best player you can add using 20m of cap space for TPE creation and the 20th pick in 2021 and our own first in 2023?

Myles Turner or Jusef Nurkic are the only players I can think of who's value is in that neighborhood, would fit in the hypothetical TPE and would fit our roster in terms of age/position.

I would say though that if that were to ever be the case and we had these assets at the ready, I think the best use of it would be to rent it out for assets. There just isn't anyone else on the market at the moment that really move the needle for us.
guvernator
Pro Prospect
And1: 139

Post#496 » by guvernator » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:12 am

S&T Lowry for Middleton.
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,325

Post#497 » by douggood » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:17 am

Rapsfan07 wrote:
Morris_Shatford wrote:On the topic of "Boucher for a FRP";

Myles Turner or Jusef Nurkic are the only players I can think of who's value is in that neighborhood, would fit in the hypothetical TPE and would fit our roster in terms of age/position.

I would say though that if that were to ever be the case and we had these assets at the ready, I think the best use of it would be to rent it out for assets. There just isn't anyone else on the market at the moment that really move the needle for us.

myles turner and caris lavert came to my mind, also jerami grant.

i am using robert covingotn trade as tempate, good player, value contract, had 2 years left when traded for 2 1st to portland. (16th pick last year and 2021 1st (23rd pick this year)
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,094

Post#498 » by tecumseh18 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:21 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:

I like that but not sure I trust "relatively cheap". Would much rather have Korkmaz age 23 since we'll have so many young 20's players.

I get the idea that Porter "signed and retired". I don't want to read too much into social media (Serge is active on it, but definitely works on his game at the same time). But OPJ doesn't seem to spend a lot of time working on his game or conditioning, which may explain the constant injury issues.

But as an SJ-type flyer, sure. The upside is tremendous. He killed us in that 2015 sweep. (Man, that was six years ago!)
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,887

Post#499 » by OAKLEY_2 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 3:28 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:
mademan wrote:
Morris_Shatford wrote:

I think anyone not our own pick likely lives in the G-League next season which is largely par for the course with a lot of our youth.
However I think that swapping Boucher for a pick somewhere in the middle / end of the first doesn't necessarily end up being a pick you use but rather one you attached to something and trade to address a hole with a more experienced player.

Would not be my move. Would see what bounty there is for Paskal and backfill Boucher at Power Forward before writing off Boucher for a middling pick. Boucher could be very good for us at least in the stats department.

Lowry for Porz. Paskal for CJ. Pick Giddey 7th.

Boucher/Porz/OG
Fred/CJ

GTjr.

Gillespie/Birch/7th pick (Giddey)
Malachi/Jalen
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#500 » by Morris_Shatford » Tue Jun 8, 2021 3:36 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
Morris_Shatford wrote:
mademan wrote:

Would not be my move. Would see what bounty there is for Paskal and backfill Boucher at Power Forward before writing off Boucher for a middling pick. Boucher could be very good for us at least in the stats department.

Lowry for Porz. Paskal for CJ. Pick Giddey 7th.

Boucher/Porz/OG
Fred/CJ

GTjr.

Gillespie/Birch/7th pick (Giddey)
Malachi/Jalen

If the intention is to deal Siakam then I tend to agree that keeping Boucher becomes logical;

Alternatively if we don't,
My thought process with Boucher is that if we retain Siakam & OG and ultimately address the five spot do we really want to pay Boucher next season what will almost certainly be a significant raise to come off the bench? If not, I don't think his value gets much higher than potentially now.

Return to Toronto Raptors