Image ImageImage Image

OT: Boxing Paul vs. Askren Tonight

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,698

Re: OT: Boxing Paul vs. Askren Tonight 

Post#21 » by madvillian » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:11 pm

The fight sucked but the concept of the "Triller" production was entertaining. It's pathetic this is what boxing has fallen to but is what it is at this point, they gotta drum up interest in the sport somehow.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#22 » by Susan » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:25 pm

dougthonus wrote:
2018C3 wrote:Nate Diaz, has now said if Jake sends him a contract, he will accept.

Seems like a good step for both of them.

I'd imagine that this fight actually might make Diaz more money than a UFC fight would.

For Paul, Diaz is now a super legit enough opponent that normal sports fans have heard of and respect.

Compared to Askren, Diaz is obviously going to train and come into the fight in elite shape. At the same time, Diaz is not a boxer either, and Paul could easily have a technique advantage. It's a fight against someone everyone would absolutely perceive as tough as hell but Paul would still have a shot at beating.

I'm sorry Doug but you gotta stop, you're killing me in this thread.

Askren did train but had hip surgery recently. He's not a physically imposing guy to begin with but he was coming from zero because he was on the couch recovering and this was intriguing enough to get him to sign the contract. Askren was 100% a grappler who in his decade plus of MMA training, spent zero time learning now to strike outside of some very rudimentary things to close distance and get the fight into clinch range. Even when in shape, he's been frumpy.

Diaz is smaller than Askren (Ben was a decent sized 170, Diaz is predominately a 155er who went to 170 a few times and mostly got whooped there) but Diaz is one of the more technical pure boxers in MMA and has been for nearly a dozen years. There's zero chance Nate ever fights Paul because he's literally in a training camp right now to fight Leon Edwards and Paul is just way too big for him.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,703

Post#23 » by dougthonus » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:49 am

Susan wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
2018C3 wrote:Nate Diaz, has now said if Jake sends him a contract, he will accept.

I'd imagine that this fight actually might make Diaz more money than a UFC fight would.

For Paul, Diaz is now a super legit enough opponent that normal sports fans have heard of and respect.

Compared to Askren, Diaz is obviously going to train and come into the fight in elite shape. At the same time, Diaz is not a boxer either, and Paul could easily have a technique advantage. It's a fight against someone everyone would absolutely perceive as tough as hell but Paul would still have a shot at beating.

Askren did train but had hip surgery recently. He's not a physically imposing guy to begin with but he was coming from zero because he was on the couch recovering and this was intriguing enough to get him to sign the contract. Askren was 100% a grappler who in his decade plus of MMA training, spent zero time learning now to strike outside of some very rudimentary things to close distance and get the fight into clinch range. Even when in shape, he's been frumpy.

Diaz is smaller than Askren (Ben was a decent sized 170, Diaz is predominately a 155er who went to 170 a few times and mostly got whooped there) but Diaz is one of the more technical pure boxers in MMA and has been for nearly a dozen years. There's zero chance Nate ever fights Paul because he's literally in a training camp right now to fight Leon Edwards and Paul is just way too big for him.

Don't know much about Diaz really. Just googled and saw he was 6' 170 which seemed like a reasonable size, but yeah, if he just bulked up that would be a lot bigger disadvantage than I thought.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
2018C3
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

Post#24 » by 2018C3 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:55 am

Michael Jackson wrote:Hats off to Paul. It would be a near impossibility for him to get paydays like this going the traditional route. Saying he has nothing to lose is not right, if he loses he can't keep getting better opponents and the gig is up, Obviously if he loses to Connor he could still fight again but you get the point Most people aren't boxing fans though, most people like watching youtube video's of Mike Tyson knockouts. This is the format people can get behind and watch even though it appalls purists. I don't like it but I am also not the demographic they are going after.

Jake Paul may not be a world class professional fighter but he is indeed getting paid for his fights so he is a professional. @ 45 he would clean my clock pretty quickly and I have a pretty good chin but I am well 45 and far far from being in good shape and never a particularly good boxer to begin with (although I do love the sport). Plus I still have some CTE from getting hit by Andrew Golota in a dream I had 20 years ago LOL!!!!

I might be one of the few here who remember the Tyson / Golota fight. A friend had it on pay per view, invited everyone over. Golota got hit a few times and quit.

All my Polish friends had hope. and were mad after the fight.

Tyson was a beast. I cant blame the guy for quitting! If your over matched, your over matched. It's better to realize it while you can still think.
DaMayor07
Ballboy
And1: 16

Post#25 » by DaMayor07 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:59 pm

2018C3 wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:Hats off to Paul. It would be a near impossibility for him to get paydays like this going the traditional route. Saying he has nothing to lose is not right, if he loses he can't keep getting better opponents and the gig is up, Obviously if he loses to Connor he could still fight again but you get the point Most people aren't boxing fans though, most people like watching youtube video's of Mike Tyson knockouts. This is the format people can get behind and watch even though it appalls purists. I don't like it but I am also not the demographic they are going after.

Jake Paul may not be a world class professional fighter but he is indeed getting paid for his fights so he is a professional. @ 45 he would clean my clock pretty quickly and I have a pretty good chin but I am well 45 and far far from being in good shape and never a particularly good boxer to begin with (although I do love the sport). Plus I still have some CTE from getting hit by Andrew Golota in a dream I had 20 years ago LOL!!!!

I might be one of the few here who remember the Tyson / Golota fight. A friend had it on pay per view, invited everyone over. Golota got hit a few times and quit.

All my Polish friends had hope. and were mad after the fight.

Tyson was a beast. I cant blame the guy for quitting! If your over matched, your over matched. It's better to realize it while you can still think.

If my memory serves correct, Golata had a concussion and broken jaw, and knew he was risking more damage if he continued. His cornerman/trainer was an a$$hole for trying to convince him to continue
DaMayor07
Ballboy

Post#26 » by DaMayor07 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:02 pm

Susan wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

to add onto this, Diaz bro's have been training partners and are friends with Amir Kahn and Andre Ward. Their (Diaz bros) boxing pedigree is on point, aside from BJJ skills. I think Diaz would be able to out-point a low level skilled fighter that is Jake Paul.

It would be a ton of money for each fighter if they do fight; 'prize fighting' at its finest lol
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#27 » by Susan » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:19 pm

DaMayor07 wrote:
Susan wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

to add onto this, Diaz bro's have been training partners and are friends with Amir Kahn and Andre Ward. Their (Diaz bros) boxing pedigree is on point, aside from BJJ skills. I think Diaz would be able to out-point a low level skilled fighter that is Jake Paul.

It would be a ton of money for each fighter if they do fight; 'prize fighting' at its finest lol

Now I'm gunna watch Nick/Robbie Lawler, Nick/Paul Daley and Robbie Lawler/Melvin Manhoef just for the hell of it. :P
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,209

Post#28 » by Michael Jackson » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:58 pm

DaMayor07 wrote:
Susan wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

They should make it a mandatory “must be high” for the fight. Diaz will be right at home.
DaMayor07
Ballboy

Post#29 » by DaMayor07 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:52 pm

Susan wrote:
DaMayor07 wrote:
Susan wrote:

Now I'm gunna watch Nick/Robbie Lawler, Nick/Paul Daley and Robbie Lawler/Melvin Manhoef just for the hell of it. :P

such great fights!
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,752

Post#30 » by Jeffster81 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:34 pm

First: I think I am buying the idea that Paul's fights, have been rigged, especially Askren.

Second: If you want me to watch a Paul fight, get him to go against someone like Jones, Jr or Tyson or somebody closer to Paul in weight.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#31 » by dougthonus » Mon Jun 7, 2021 10:30 pm

Figured I'd throw this in here because it wasn't worth starting a new thread, but pretty funny seeing Logan Paul fight Floyd Mayweather. Mayweather looks like he's an expert in these exhibitions at clearly winning but carrying guys long enough that they don't embarrass themselves. He had it right when he said easy money for him.

The video floating around on twitter where it looks like he just knocked out Paul but then leans in and holds him up until he recovers instead of going in for the kill is pretty hilarious.
@doug_thonus on twitter
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,209

Post#32 » by Michael Jackson » Mon Jun 7, 2021 11:52 pm

dougthonus wrote:Figured I'd throw this in here because it wasn't worth starting a new thread, but pretty funny seeing Logan Paul fight Floyd Mayweather. Mayweather looks like he's an expert in these exhibitions at clearly winning but carrying guys long enough that they don't embarrass themselves. He had it right when he said easy money for him.

The video floating around on twitter where it looks like he just knocked out Paul but then leans in and holds him up until he recovers instead of going in for the kill is pretty hilarious.

He isn’t called Money because he doesn’t know how to make a payday work. I didn’t see it but all the reports of him carrying the fight make sense. It’s a good second career for the greatest technical fighter we may ever see. Boring if you aren’t a fan but if you love the sweet science and not just Tyson knockouts he is something to watch for sure.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,338

Post#33 » by fleet » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:19 am

even at his age, my guess without seeing the fight is if Floyd didn’t want Paul to hit him, it wouldn’t happen. 6 inch reach ad or not.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#34 » by fleet » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:35 am

Michael Jackson wrote:
dougthonus wrote:Figured I'd throw this in here because it wasn't worth starting a new thread, but pretty funny seeing Logan Paul fight Floyd Mayweather. Mayweather looks like he's an expert in these exhibitions at clearly winning but carrying guys long enough that they don't embarrass themselves. He had it right when he said easy money for him.

He isn’t called Money because he doesn’t know how to make a payday work. I didn’t see it but all the reports of him carrying the fight make sense. It’s a good second career for the greatest technical fighter we may ever see. Boring if you aren’t a fan but if you love the sweet science and not just Tyson knockouts he is something to watch for sure.

Aside from Jordan highlights, nothing in sports is as breathtaking as young Tyson knockout reels. Roided Bonds maybe. The speed power and accuracy at once, and the flurry of clean and determined combinations is astonishing. The raw explosion of it all unleashing from his body was incredible. The way his punches started from his shoes up through his core delivered with precision with purpose in specific areas to damage has never been done before or since. Jordan had the same unique force of nature. But only those 2 or 3 guys.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,528

Post#35 » by DuckIII » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:38 am

I’m disappointed in all of you for having any knowledge about these events beyond the fact that they occurred. And even being aware of the occurrence is a bit of a black mark.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#36 » by fleet » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:53 am

DuckIII wrote:I’m disappointed in all of you for having any knowledge about these events beyond the fact that they occurred. And even being aware of the occurrence is a bit of a black mark.

Speaking of the greats, in the Tebow era, nobody else has made more from less.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#37 » by dougthonus » Tue Jun 8, 2021 11:35 am

DuckIII wrote:I’m disappointed in all of you for having any knowledge about these events beyond the fact that they occurred. And even being aware of the occurrence is a bit of a black mark.

They're actually pretty hard to avoid. ESPN was covering it reasonably heavily as a talking point on all their talk shows. There were tons of memes about it on my comedy app. You get it from all angles.
@doug_thonus on twitter
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,752

Post#38 » by Jeffster81 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 6:20 pm

Despite it being an "unscored exhibition" Paul's brother is declaring victory for Logan. Logan got, in the words of Chris Tucker, "knock the f**k out, how was Logan a winner? Everybody saw that match and had it been score, it would have been a unanimous victory for Floyd.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,528

Post#39 » by DuckIII » Tue Jun 8, 2021 6:26 pm

Jeffster81 wrote:

Despite it being an "unscored exhibition" Paul's brother is declaring victory for Logan. Logan got, in the words of Chris Tucker, "knock the f**k out, how was Logan a winner? Everybody saw that match and had it been score, it would have been a unanimous victory for Floyd.

Both brothers are winners because people are talking about this absurd “contest” and now will discuss the stupidity of whatever they say about it. You are all getting Baylessed.

This stuff is all a joke. Along with the Kardashians, Trump (and all that entails), and the wild success of the Fast and Furious movies, it’s one of the signs of the decline of Western civilization. Mongolia and central Italy had their turns. Now it’s ours.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
LateNight
Starter
And1: 1,449

Post#40 » by LateNight » Tue Jun 8, 2021 7:11 pm

I'm not a fan of the Paul brothers, and this wasn't a high level fight - but even so, the kid should be proud of himself for sparring 8 rounds with (arguably) one of the greatest boxers ever and not dying.

Return to Chicago Bulls