ImageImageImageImageImage

Outdoor Pickup Basketball in Ontario

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

dkb9696
Bench Warmer
And1: 968

Outdoor Pickup Basketball in Ontario 

Post#1 » by dkb9696 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 9:38 pm

Does anybody know when the nets are suppose to be put back up in Ontario?
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,526

Re: Outdoor Pickup Basketball in Ontario 

Post#2 » by mdenny » Mon Jun 7, 2021 9:46 pm

Back up now bud.
mdenny
Head Coach

Post#3 » by mdenny » Mon Jun 7, 2021 9:48 pm

Back up now bud.
refshateRaps
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,921

Post#4 » by refshateRaps » Mon Jun 7, 2021 9:58 pm

Cant believe we even have to have this discussion

Finally FFS
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,333

Post#5 » by Mikistan » Mon Jun 7, 2021 10:21 pm

is Covid over? i have 30 lbs i need to work off on the street-ball courts
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,537

Post#6 » by C_Money » Mon Jun 7, 2021 10:28 pm

They took down the nets? That seems a little over the top.
refshateRaps
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by refshateRaps » Mon Jun 7, 2021 10:50 pm

C_Money wrote:They took down the nets? That seems a little over the top.

Its Ontario. There is no bottom to what our Governments here are doing to prevent the youth from being healthy

Even now to attend a socially distanced, small group City of Toronto day camp my child will have to wear a mask OUTDOORS in the heart of summer.

Kid has been barred from sports for a year and a half. Ive had enough.

Something is seriously not right with this Province and City
RealGM
And1: 66,425

Post#8 » by 720 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 11:01 pm

refshateRaps wrote:

Its Ontario. There is no bottom to what our Governments here are doing to prevent the youth from being healthy

Even now to attend a socially distanced, small group City of Toronto day camp my child will have to wear a mask OUTDOORS in the heart of summer.

Um, they don't want kids to catch the coronavirus while playing ball and then take it home to their family members. I don't get this outrage. lol
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,043

Post#9 » by Westside Gunn » Mon Jun 7, 2021 11:21 pm

if youre willing to drive around you will find schools with nets still intact.

as for playing pickup im not sure because im avoiding people until summer 2022.
i miss the days when the bricks was only nineteeeeeeeen, i need a 100 right now
dkb9696
Bench Warmer

Post#10 » by dkb9696 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 11:30 pm

Westside Gunn wrote:if youre willing to drive around you will find schools with nets still intact.

as for playing pickup im not sure because im avoiding people until summer 2022.

I live in a small town and the cops have nothing better to do here then go around and take down basketball nets it looks like.
dkb9696
Bench Warmer

Post#11 » by dkb9696 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 11:49 pm

refshateRaps wrote:

I am a grown man and it pisses me off. I feel terrible for youth that have not been able to play sports or even socialize normally with their friends. Doug Ford is an idiot and us Ontarians are suffering because of it.
13th Man
General Manager
And1: 6,117

Post#12 » by 13th Man » Tue Jun 8, 2021 12:31 am

Let the kids play. You know what's the best medicine to stave off Covid? Being active physically and socially (adhering to reasonable safety precautions), not cooped up in your home making cheesecake.

I was at a fitness conference a few weeks ago and one of the doctors who works in the ICU told us that from his observation over 90% of the people in the ICU are overweight/obese. The Government should be encouraging fitness activities as much as possible, especially outdoors. Instead they have police arresting kids for being in the parks or skating at outdoor rinks.
nuggett
Rookie
And1: 897

Post#13 » by nuggett » Tue Jun 8, 2021 1:39 am

The hoops are up in Mississauga everywhere that isn't a school.

Huron park
Valleys

All with tons of run
mdenny
Head Coach

Post#14 » by mdenny » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:09 am

They didn't take down nets in Scartown. They just plastic bag coverings on them.

I can understand the frusteration for small towns.....but here there were like 200 to 300 kids gathered at the courts. It was a public health issue.
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,688

Post#15 » by Clay Davis » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:21 am

refshateRaps wrote:

If you're 6 years old, 25% of your life has been spent in quarantine (or about half the life you remember).

I was pretty lucky in that I lived in a house growing up, so I had a backyard to play around in. I'm guessing majority of the people not complaining had the same sort of privileged up-bringing.
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by Clay Davis » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:22 am

13th Man wrote:Let the kids play. You know what's the best medicine to stave off Covid? Being active physically and socially (adhering to reasonable safety precautions), not cooped up in your home making cheesecake.

I was at a fitness conference a few weeks ago and one of the doctors who works in the ICU told us that from his observation over 90% of the people in the ICU are overweight/obese. The Government should be encouraging fitness activities as much as possible, especially outdoors. Instead they have police arresting kids for being in the parks or skating at outdoor rinks.

Is this your experience? I was leaving a track the other day that has literally hundreds of people walking around or playing full-squad soccer matches and a cop literally drove into the parking lot and left without doing anything. Hundreds of people are there every day. I'm outside in a field 4-5 days a week, working out (either alone or with some friends) and have never even seen someone get hassled by cops.
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
13th Man
General Manager

Post#17 » by 13th Man » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:36 am

Clay Davis wrote:
refshateRaps wrote:

If you're 6 years old, 25% of your life has been spent in quarantine (or about half the life you remember).

I was pretty lucky in that I lived in a house growing up, so I had a backyard to play around in. I'm guessing majority of the people not complaining had the same sort of privileged up-bringing.

The best part of my childhood was hanging outside with other kids on the block until dark without any worries. We'd bike around the neighbourhood, play basketball in the summer and hockey in the winters. We didn't have any Internet or phones, Snapchat, Tik Tok etc. I got into video games later on which I believe was detrimental to my health and well being. I encourage my kids to interact IRL with other kids as much as possible.

If you observe the various animal species even domestic pets they all love being outdoors and especially with their peers. Animals in captivity are probably the most miserable and I don't believe that humans are any different.
refshateRaps
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by refshateRaps » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:39 am

Clay Davis wrote:
13th Man wrote:Let the kids play. You know what's the best medicine to stave off Covid? Being active physically and socially (adhering to reasonable safety precautions), not cooped up in your home making cheesecake.

Is this your experience? I was leaving a track the other day that has literally hundreds of people walking around or playing full-squad soccer matches and a cop literally drove into the parking lot and left without doing anything. Hundreds of people are there every day. I'm outside in a field 4-5 days a week, working out (either alone or with some friends) and have never even seen someone get hassled by cops.

Ya the Cops have been good here in Scarborough. Soccer, Basketball courts & skate parks round here have been packed for weeks.

Most people have moved on without the Governments madness thankfully
13th Man
General Manager

Post#19 » by 13th Man » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:39 am

Clay Davis wrote:

Not my personal experience but I've seen a lot of such encounters in Canada on YouTube over past months. Some have grabbed national attention but not from the mainstream media of course. Glad to see things loosening up finally.
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by Clay Davis » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:54 am

refshateRaps wrote:
Clay Davis wrote:

Ya the Cops have been good here in Scarborough. Soccer, Basketball courts & skate parks round here have been packed for weeks.

Most people have moved on without the Governments madness thankfully

13th Man wrote:
Clay Davis wrote:

Not my personal experience but I've seen a lot of such encounters in Canada on YouTube over past months. Some have grabbed national attention but not from the mainstream media of course. Glad to see things loosening up finally.

Ah okay I just found it odd and surprising to read what you wrote, since I've been in Scarborough the entire pandemic. I guess cops don't wanna deal with Scarborough mans :lol: I don't blame them.

Return to Toronto Raptors