WISEMAN EXPECTATIONS: Year 1

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Re: WISEMAN EXPECTATIONS: Year 1 

Post#1701 » by FNQ » Thu Jun 3, 2021 4:51 pm

If we draft someone at 6-8 and they are not starting out in our rotation, considering our current backups, then that's a whiff of a pick. Unless we're picking another project, in which case, I guess we really will be trying to have our cake and eat it too.

And as we all know, thats a very sound strategy :blank:
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#1702 » by and1GS » Thu Jun 3, 2021 4:54 pm

Yes that was my central point, though I'd be OK keeping one of the picks.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,891

Post#1703 » by Samurai » Fri Jun 4, 2021 5:36 pm

Kerr's interview on merging the timelines of both Wiseman and Curry (from a podcast with Tim Kawakami): "The thing that everybody is going to talk about is Steph’s timeline. And I understand that. That’s a legitimate concern. But what I would say is I think James is going to help us win games next year. And it’s OK if he’s not playing 30 minutes. Because we can win games with (Kevon) Looney on the floor. We can win games with Draymond (Green) playing the five.

I think this is all really a good way for us to be good in the next couple years and solidify an important position at the center spot for the next decade as well. Those things are not mutually exclusive. We can do both. It’s just everyone’s sort of in this panic, ‘You’ve got to take advantage of Steph’s timeline!’ Which I understand. But it’s just not that simple.”
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,302

Post#1704 » by Sleepy51 » Fri Jun 4, 2021 5:50 pm

Samurai wrote:Kerr's interview on merging the timelines of both Wiseman and Curry (from a podcast with Tim Kawakami): "The thing that everybody is going to talk about is Steph’s timeline. And I understand that. That’s a legitimate concern. But what I would say is I think James is going to help us win games next year. And it’s OK if he’s not playing 30 minutes. Because we can win games with (Kevon) Looney on the floor. We can win games with Draymond (Green) playing the five.

I think this is all really a good way for us to be good in the next couple years and solidify an important position at the center spot for the next decade as well. Those things are not mutually exclusive. We can do both. It’s just everyone’s sort of in this panic, ‘You’ve got to take advantage of Steph’s timeline!’ Which I understand. But it’s just not that simple.”

Even if it's not true, they need to get off of this narrative that we MUST trade Wiseman. It's bad for business on multiple fronts, not the least of which includes the "successfully trading Wiseman for value" front. I usually want Kerr to say less whenever possible, but there is way to much chatter going around about what the Warriors "have to" do and that puts them in a weak position for negotiating and actually trying to build the best possible team around Steph. Someone has to start making the contra case that we CAN keep Wiseman and it will take a legitimate offer to get us to include him in a deal.

These early playoff exits for the Lakers, Clippers and Portland are good for us. It reminds everything that a whole bunch of teams need to make changes every year. It's not a special crippling disadvantage that the Warriors aren't a shoe-in champion that opens us up to all sorts of buggery on the trade machine.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,112

Post#1705 » by cpower » Fri Jun 4, 2021 6:03 pm

Samurai wrote:Kerr's interview on merging the timelines of both Wiseman and Curry (from a podcast with Tim Kawakami): "The thing that everybody is going to talk about is Steph’s timeline. And I understand that. That’s a legitimate concern. But what I would say is I think James is going to help us win games next year. And it’s OK if he’s not playing 30 minutes. Because we can win games with (Kevon) Looney on the floor. We can win games with Draymond (Green) playing the five.

his tone will change when Curry makes it clear that he is not signing that extension. just wait and see :lol:
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,891

Post#1706 » by Samurai » Fri Jun 4, 2021 6:06 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:

Even if it's not true, they need to get off of this narrative that we MUST trade Wiseman. It's bad for business on multiple fronts, not the least of which includes the "successfully trading Wiseman for value" front. I usually want Kerr to say less whenever possible, but there is way to much chatter going around about what the Warriors "have to" do and that puts them in a weak position for negotiating and actually trying to build the best possible team around Steph. Someone has to start making the contra case that we CAN keep Wiseman and it will take a legitimate offer to get us to include him in a deal.

These early playoff exits for the Lakers, Clippers and Portland are good for us. It reminds everything that a whole bunch of teams need to make changes every year. It's not a special crippling disadvantage that the Warriors aren't a shoe-in champion that opens us up to all sorts of buggery on the trade machine.

One of the key takeaways that I got from the interview is that Kerr seems to disagree with the common thinking on this board that either a) Wiseman helps us win games during Curry's window or b) Wiseman can be a building block for years after Curry is retired. But you have to choose one and it can't be both. Kerr is arguing that both points are not mutually exclusive.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#1707 » by Sleepy51 » Fri Jun 4, 2021 6:49 pm

Samurai wrote:
Sleepy51 wrote:

One of the key takeaways that I got from the interview is that Kerr seems to disagree with the common thinking on this board that either a) Wiseman helps us win games during Curry's window or b) Wiseman can be a building block for years after Curry is retired. But you have to choose one and it can't be both. Kerr is arguing that both points are not mutually exclusive.

I never assume that coaches are telling the fans or the media what they really think. I do think he wants other people in the NBA to believe that the Warriors are not prepared to get fleeced out of Wiseman's potential. That's just good posturing if nothing else.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#1708 » by Sleepy51 » Fri Jun 4, 2021 6:51 pm

cpower wrote:

his tone will change when Curry makes it clear that he is not signing that extension. just wait and see :lol:

Or hey, maybe Curry will also be intelligent enough not to put the front office in weak bargaining positions for the sake of fan schadenfreude?
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,131

Post#1709 » by Onus » Fri Jun 4, 2021 7:18 pm

Wiseman should be usable. He's big and he can finish plays. His role was just way too big for him. They gave him a ton of rope and he didn't know what to do. Everyone I read thought the Warriors would be a good landing spot for him because they would simplify his role and have him focus on a few things that they needed like rebounding and playing defense, while he would be able to take his time to develop his game offensively. But the Warriors decided they wanted to be a lottery team and just roll the ball out and see what he could do.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#1710 » by shazam_guy » Fri Jun 4, 2021 9:10 pm

The Ws had no pre-season preparation, no summer league, no proper training camp. They didn't know what they would have until they had players on the court. This was the weirdest season in NBA history, at least that I can remember, so why was everyone so shocked that Wiseman was a complicated fit? He's an amazing-potential basically high school player. Nothing happened this year that changed my mind one bit about Wiseman, because nothing happened that couldn't be expected.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#1711 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Jun 4, 2021 10:46 pm

Just no longer being a rookie will help with the refs. So length will help with defense. Defense and rebounding on one end and dunking, screening, and rebounding on the other end while always hustling to the other end of the floor. If he does those things he'll be a positive.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant

Post#1712 » by shazam_guy » Sat Jun 5, 2021 8:16 am

Also, if we keep Smailagic for two or three years but give up on Wiseman after one and panic-trade him, I'll be so pissed...
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1713 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:44 am

shazam_guy wrote:Also, if we keep Smailagic for two or three years but give up on Wiseman after one and panic-trade him, I'll be so pissed...

Heard basically nothing positive about Smiley this last year. Not a good sign at all for him.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant

Post#1714 » by shazam_guy » Tue Jun 8, 2021 12:42 am

clyde21 wrote:
raw, al dente, cooked

doesn't change the fact that his archetype is not a good fit on this team.

the quicker you guys admit this the easier these conversations will be.

You're right. You got us. We always knew that you've been right from the first about everything, but in our sad, cowardly way we tried to hide from that fact, although your shining example of knowing the truth and proclaiming it despite disagreement from lesser minds shamed us. If we had only admitted it right away, everything would be better now. The Ws would be champions again, Curry would be MVP, and all the other teams would have sent us their best players out of sheer admiration. How could we have been so foolish?

Please, tell us what else we should do with our meaningless lives.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,125

Post#1715 » by clyde21 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 6:12 am

some of yall really take it personal when it comes to any Wiseman criticism...kinda weird
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,694

Post#1716 » by whatisacenter » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:10 pm

clyde21 wrote:some of yall really take it personal when it comes to any Wiseman criticism...kinda weird

don't be daft, the quicker you stop the easier these conversations will be...
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1717 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 5:16 pm

The funny thing for me is that the issue was, in some part, the expectations unrealistic fans had that Wiseman would somehow be the INCREDIBLY rare teenage big who contributes as a rookie to a winning team.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,125

Post#1718 » by clyde21 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 5:25 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
clyde21 wrote:some of yall really take it personal when it comes to any Wiseman criticism...kinda weird

stop what? voicing our opinions on Wiseman?

oh no! :lol:
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,694

Post#1719 » by whatisacenter » Tue Jun 8, 2021 5:57 pm

clyde21 wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

stop what? voicing our opinions on Wiseman?

oh no! :lol:

I am pretty sure you know this but maybe you are being obtuse....your opinion is one thing and your delivery is another.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,667

Post#1720 » by WarriorGM » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:13 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:The funny thing for me is that the issue was, in some part, the expectations unrealistic fans had that Wiseman would somehow be the INCREDIBLY rare teenage big who contributes as a rookie to a winning team.

If that wasn't a possibility why draft him in the first place?

Return to Golden State Warriors