ImageImageImage

Around the League

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,020

Re: Around the League 

Post#201 » by bstein14 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 1:19 am

It was clear Blake still had some left in the tank when he played against Chris Paul, and the Clippers, and then again as a member of the Nets against us. Sure he was just coasting a bit this year in Detroit you can't blame him at all, he was still taking charges and mostly playing fine accepting that we were going to go with a youth movement and rebuild this year.

I think its safe to say he is still good enough to get a full MLE deal from a contending team this offseason if he wants to make the money. Philly, Miami, Dallas, Utah, Lakers, Clippers, Nets, Celtics, etc... I think most teams that are competing would add what he can still bring to the table, assuming he stays healthy and keeps getting minutes. Nets probably didn't need him at all to win with Harden healthy but if Harden is out a bit Blake might actually be the difference for them in beating Milwaukee.
Cowology
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,667

Post#202 » by Cowology » Mon Jun 7, 2021 1:57 am

I'm trying to envision a scenario where Blake giving 100% would have actually helped us. Ya know, as opposed to the same people just then complaining about how we were winning meaningless games when we should be tanking.

But yeah, lets ask the guy with an injury history to give up his body in meaningless games and act outraged when he's willing to do just that with a chance for a championship on the line. Haters gonna hate I guess. *shrug*
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#203 » by Pharaoh » Tue Jun 8, 2021 7:35 am

Cowology wrote:I'm trying to envision a scenario where Blake giving 100% would have actually helped us. Ya know, as opposed to the same people just then complaining about how we were winning meaningless games when we should be tanking.

But yeah, lets ask the guy with an injury history to give up his body in meaningless games and act outraged when he's willing to do just that with a chance for a championship on the line. Haters gonna hate I guess. *shrug*
Pretty much my take on it.

Blake is gone, idc what he does now.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,219

Post#204 » by vege » Tue Jun 8, 2021 11:22 am

At the end of their career, after several injuries, it's not difficult to undestand why Rose is a champion and Blake never done ****.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,786

Post#205 » by DBC10 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:41 pm

Luka getting 200+ million for his first major contract is staggering. It's crazy how far the contracts situations have come

But that Dallas team needs a mini overhaul. Porzingis has no business getting paid that much. They also have a bunch of useless role players too like Burke
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,020

Post#206 » by bstein14 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:40 am

DBC10 wrote:Luka getting 200+ million for his first major contract is staggering. It's crazy how far the contracts situations have come

But that Dallas team needs a mini overhaul. Porzingis has no business getting paid that much. They also have a bunch of useless role players too like Burke

It's clear that Porzingas wants to be "the man" and feels like an afterthought on offense... Luka getting all the praise and attention.

Porzingas is someone who might be worth taking a flyer on if you could get him for cheap, but he certainly could be a huge dead weight in a new situation as well. It's almost like the Blake situation, where if you get a healthy motivated 2019 Blake for the entire contract its a great pickup, but the odds of that being the case for Porzingas for his 3 years $100+ million contract is pretty slim.

If we could get him for just Plumlee, CoJo, and McGruder (works in the trade checker) it would be something we'd have to think about. Dallas would likely be a prime FA destination being a tax free state and being able to play with a young star in Luka, where we'd have a hard time landing a 20 and 10 type player like Porzingas.

That said, when you're trying to change a culture Porzingas is probably not the type of player you take a risk on.
Cowology
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#207 » by Cowology » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:53 am

Kennard & Reggie are currently the 2 leading scorers for the Clips lol. I'm not sure if that is a good sign or a bad sign for the Clips.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,848

Post#208 » by tmorgan » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:25 am

Kristaps is too much of a brooder, too much of a partier and too injury prone for his contract.
DBC10
General Manager

Post#209 » by DBC10 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:35 pm

What's hilarious with the Nets this post season is, they might not even need Harden at all to win the chip. They're that good right now and KD is easily up there in terms of being unstoppable like the prime Shaqs, Hakeem, and Jordan

Nash for his 1st year as coach has done an excellent job to prep these guys and have them locked in despite the Kyrie roller coaster
Cowology
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#210 » by Cowology » Wed Jun 9, 2021 11:05 pm

tmorgan wrote:Kristaps is too much of a brooder, too much of a partier and too injury prone for his contract.

Yeah, I honesty don't think I'd take Porzingas at half his current contract. Just not a fan.

As for the Nets...Philly might actually have the best shot at beating them, just because of Embiid. NJ has no answer to him. But they'll still need other guys to step up and hit shots. Sadly I don't think it's going to make much difference though and expect NJ to go all the way.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 13,989

Post#211 » by Laimbeer » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:41 am

If Blake and the Nets win it, my consolation is Bruce Brown will, too. Busts his ass and has made good.
DBC10
General Manager

Post#212 » by DBC10 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:08 am

Laimbeer wrote:If Blake and the Nets win it, my consolation is Bruce Brown will, too. Busts his ass and has made good.

Gotta say, it does sting knowing that Brown is a solid crunch time minutes guy on a contender because he's a fantastic role player for KD and Ky right now. Setting hard ass screens, give and go's, and smart cuts to the basket. Even the occasional corner 3 too.

EDIT: As soon as a I type that, he plays a failed hero ball after a broken up inbound play. But not sure if that's all on him since literally nobody rotated for a kickout
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 13,989

Post#213 » by Laimbeer » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:19 am

DBC10 wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:If Blake and the Nets win it, my consolation is Bruce Brown will, too. Busts his ass and has made good.

Gotta say, it does sting knowing that Brown is a solid crunch time minutes guy on a contender because he's a fantastic role player for KD and Ky right now. Setting hard ass screens, give and go's, and smart cuts to the basket. Even the occasional corner 3 too.

EDIT: As soon as a I type that, he plays a failed hero ball after a broken up inbound play. But not sure if that's all on him since literally nobody rotated for a kickout

Really think he should have sat the last few possessions. Just not reliable offensively.
DBC10
General Manager

Post#214 » by DBC10 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:06 am

Laimbeer wrote:
DBC10 wrote:

Really think he should have sat the last few possessions. Just not reliable offensively.

Yeah, not sure why they even passed him the ball after the 3rd miss during that stretch. Oh well, KD was bound to get slowed down somehow, I think they just ran out of gas since they started making weird plays or turnovers.
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#215 » by dVs33 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:23 pm

It’s funny (or not funny at all) that all the ex pistons are playing so well. I didn’t see browns mess up in the last game, but prior to that he was playing really well in his role. Blake, Reggie, Kennerd, Morris, bullock, rose... all playing great for their roles.
I’m a little too drunk to make a connection here, but there’s something there. We had talent but just an awful fit? Delusional fo?
I dunno. I’m just happy Drummond proved to the rest of the league that he’s useless and he’s out of the playoffs haha
Sort
Rookie
And1: 439

Post#216 » by Sort » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:32 pm

You know a lot has been revealing about former Piston players this playoffs. First, Blake's time here this year he was not leaving what he had left on the court. Second, on the flip side there isn't much left in his tank or his playing days even when he's rejuvenated. Third, he's much better cast as either a bench player or fifth best starter that normally has three of the best players in the league. I don't completely blame him for taking it easy here, but he made the Pistons completely brutal to watch until he was let go.

Reggie is more nuanced. I always liked his competitive edge, and he's still got enough left in his game that he can be a complimentary starter, a heat check guy. That said, he costs them defensively and doesn't know how to defer to players better than him. He could never be the focus or the man on a great team, but he's still got some solid basketball in him, even if he may cost the Clippers a game.

I still cheer for Bruce Brown, and he's the perfect defensive guy for Brooklyn, but last night was painful seeing him try to take over when he literally has two of the greatest fourth quarter players in the history of the league right next to him. Durant not shooting the ball every time down in crunch time - save Kyrie feeling it - is just a mistake.

Kennard. Enough said.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,666

Post#217 » by Invictus88 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:55 pm

It's hard to determine whether Blake's poor performance for the Pistons was a result of sandbagging, lack of motivation because we weren't competitive, poor supporting cast, or simply that he wasn't fully healed and wasn't fit for the role he played here.

Regardless, he was bad for the Pistons; both in terms of performance and in terms of where we were/are going as a franchise. Both sides benefitted from the parting so there's really not a reason imho to feel bitter about it or about him succeeding elsewhere.

Reggie - yeah. We know what he is. He is performing exactly as expected; no surprises.

Brown: started hot last game and then there was team-wide confusion towards the end of the game. Brown ended up with the ball at the end and didn't deliver. I'd have to check replays to see if it was possible to get the ball to Durant. Kyrie had just made a weird move to the right side and was falling out of bounds when he dumped it to Brown; so I don't think Kyrie was an option. Brown saw an open lane and took it; but it collapsed quickly.

Watching Kennard in the playoffs it's clear that he has skills on offense but he was getting abused by Mitchell early and often. I want to think his offense during the last few games would elevate his status on the team but he's still going to get yanked to the bench when it matters the most.
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,095

Post#218 » by The Moose » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:46 am

its amazing how many bad decisions SVG made in his short time here. We can only blame ourselves for terrible drafting, when we look at SVG taking Stanley Johnson over Devin Booker and Luke Kennard over Donovan Mitchell
DBC10
General Manager

Post#219 » by DBC10 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:40 am

The Moose wrote:its amazing how many bad decisions SVG made in his short time here. We can only blame ourselves for terrible drafting, when we look at SVG taking Stanley Johnson over Devin Booker and Luke Kennard over Donovan Mitchell

If we're not the next up and coming team in the next couple years after these drafts, I think not picking one or both of those two will prove to be a death spiral when looking at it from a 10 year span. Not picking them might have cost us the next ten years being productive when all said and done

Booker and DMitchell are that good right now. Not quite superstars, Like KD, Curry, Bron, but a tier below that which is more than any talent we had in a decade(s)?
DBC10
General Manager

Post#220 » by DBC10 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:41 pm

Is this the most cursed and injury prone the league has seen so far?

So far in the post season...per reddit

Embiid is playing on one leg with a partial MCL tear

Kyrie is out indefinitely with a sprained ankle

Kawhi is out with a ACL tear

Harden is playing on one leg

Chris Paul has possibly COVID

Mike Conley is out for now with a bad hammy

Donovan Mitchell is on one leg

The Lakers are out of the playoffs due to injuries from Bron and AD

The Nuggets are out of the playoffs due to no Jamal Murray
https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/o19ikf/can_we_recap_whats_going_on_here/

That's a lot of injuries on stars and superstars