Image ImageImage Image

Article: Bulls reportedly consider trading for EL MVP Micic

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

jordanwilliams6
Analyst
And1: 3,015

Re: Article: Bulls reportedly consider trading for EL MVP Micic 

Post#41 » by jordanwilliams6 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:54 am

We have to be somewhat realistic with our options. There’s a chance that he’s the best option available assuming we can’t get CP3, Lowry or Lonzo. He’s probably a better option that Dinwiddie or Schroder.

The thing I don’t like is the talk of poor defense. We absolutely need a above average defender at the PG position next year.
jump
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,406

Post#42 » by jump » Tue Jun 8, 2021 6:34 am

Has there ever been a Euro star known to be a great defender? I can’t think of any. Perhaps he can develop those skills here.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,171

Post#43 » by HomoSapien » Tue Jun 8, 2021 6:36 am

jump wrote:Has there ever been a Euro star known to be a great defender? I can’t think of any. Perhaps he can develop those skills here.

I think Nocioni was considered to be a good defender coming into the NBA.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,812

Post#44 » by kulaz3000 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 6:45 am

jump wrote:Has there ever been a Euro star known to be a great defender? I can’t think of any. Perhaps he can develop those skills here.

Not Europe, but Andrei Kirilenko was known to be a defender in Russia and was very much so here.

Maybe Batum, but yeah, slim pickings.
Why so serious?
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,288

Post#45 » by Jstock12 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 7:15 am

kulaz3000 wrote:

Not Europe, but Andrei Kirilenko was known to be a defender in Russia and was very much so here.

Maybe Batum, but yeah, slim pickings.

Kirilenko was a legit DPOY candidate in the NBA, year in year out. Gobert and Giannis are probably the best Euro defenders since Kirilenko.
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,690

Post#46 » by GoBlue72391 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:05 am

Porzingas?
PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,226

Post#47 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:01 am

Micic would be upgrade in PG department,but no upgrade on defense at all.. But he is in his best BB years, so he could help the Bulls a bit. But are Bulls looking just for small upgrade or long term push to top 4 spots in the East?!

But with NBA and NO DEFENSE anyway..maybe we should go after him! Afterall Doncic is offensive monster and with almost no defense ,same with Harden?!
BullChit
Head Coach
And1: 3,705

Post#48 » by BullChit » Tue Jun 8, 2021 10:27 am

PrimzyBulls81 wrote:Micic would be upgrade in PG department,but no upgrade on defense at all.. But he is in his best BB years, so he could help the Bulls a bit. But are Bulls looking just for small upgrade or long term push to top 4 spots in the East?!

But with NBA and NO DEFENSE anyway..maybe we should go after him! Afterall Doncic is offensive monster and with almost no defense ,same with Harden?!
This guy won't be a Luka or a Harden.... But i get what your saying.

This feels to me like a "Trust in Arturus" type move. Euroleage MVP in a position of need who shouldn't take much to acquire and if it doesn't work out I'm sure he would be happy to head back to Europe.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
eMar arnell eRozen... The "D" stands for "Defence"
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#49 » by GimmeDat » Tue Jun 8, 2021 11:08 am

Spoke to a European scout today about him. Thinks he's an above average backup 'at minimum', so potential starting quality. Thinks he's better than Mike James. Compared to smaller guys like Campazzo, should translate a lot better due to his size.

Defensively obviously won't be a big positive but at least has that size to hold his own. I'd expect him to be somewhere between just above a liability to average.

Seems like a smart depth move. He's definitely an NBA level guy, which is more than what you can say about most 2nd round picks. The potential contract would be the interesting factor. Obviously he's no Lonzo. He seems like a good piece to add, but not a guy to 'solve' your PG issue.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,639

Post#50 » by sco » Tue Jun 8, 2021 12:14 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:[gfycat][/gfycat]
kulaz3000 wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:Don’t know a thing about him, but his highlights do look intriguing.

Yeah, he looks like a savvy player. Doesn't blow you away athletically, but he clearly knows how to get to his spots, and uses his body and dribble moves effectively, though not explosively.

Honestly, I don't care where we get the talent, this team simply needs to add more talent. Now the question is, whether we can make it appealing enough for someone who is a star where he is currently playing, to be more of a role player at least initially in the NBA, until he can prove himself.

Luka and Jokic along with guys like Paul Pierce have proved athleticism isn’t the end all be all. We need defense and play making though... so he isn’t a perfect fix but if it is a small cost, why not roll the dice. Maybe he can run the second unit and get Coby open shots.

I specifically didn't want Luca because I didn't think he had the athleticism to be good in the NBA (maybe I was a little wrong on that call), but I have come to appreciate more that NBA success isn't all about how fast you are or how high you jump - it's also about getting separation which can also come from being crafty. I'm not saying Micic will be the next Luca, but hey, we can dream.
:clap:
xpmar9x
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#51 » by xpmar9x » Tue Jun 8, 2021 12:21 pm

GimmeDat wrote:Spoke to a European scout today about him. Thinks he's an above average backup 'at minimum', so potential starting quality. Thinks he's better than Mike James. Compared to smaller guys like Campazzo, should translate a lot better due to his size.

Defensively obviously won't be a big positive but at least has that size to hold his own. I'd expect him to be somewhere between just above a liability to average.

Seems like a smart depth move. He's definitely an NBA level guy, which is more than what you can say about most 2nd round picks. The potential contract would be the interesting factor. Obviously he's no Lonzo. He seems like a good piece to add, but not a guy to 'solve' your PG issue.

No reason we can't get both. I'd imagine Micic wouldn't get more than $5m/yr absolute max. Try to S&T Sato/Lauri for Zo? Beat case scenario we land a top-3 pick and get one of Cade or Suggs.
JohnnyTapwater
Analyst
And1: 1,586

Post#52 » by JohnnyTapwater » Tue Jun 8, 2021 12:43 pm

He's better than any PG we currently have so it's a step in the right direction.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,602

Post#53 » by UcanUwill » Tue Jun 8, 2021 12:55 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:He’s 27 so could be a guy that helps right away. Is any good though?

Best player in Europe, I dont think he is as NBA material as Campazzo or Mike James were, I am a bit skeptical, but he is probably better than Coby and Satoransky at PG postion, and if he fully translates, he has that Bogdan Bogdanovic upside.
Axl Rose
Head Coach
And1: 3,936

Post#54 » by Axl Rose » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:29 am

We are very limited in how we can add talent so being smart and finding cheap ways to do that is needed. If the asking price is a 2nd rounder and maybe some cash considerations then this is a no brainer.
I don't do the dishes, I throw them in the crib
GoBlue72391
General Manager

Post#55 » by GoBlue72391 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:16 am

JohnnyTapwater wrote:He's better than any PG we currently have so it's a step in the right direction.

How do you know that? There's a pretty good chance that he's not as good as Coby/Sato.
CobyWhite0
Rookie
And1: 819

Post#56 » by CobyWhite0 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:48 am

GoBlue72391 wrote:
JohnnyTapwater wrote:He's better than any PG we currently have so it's a step in the right direction.

How do you know that? There's a pretty good chance that he's not as good as Coby/Sato.

Maybe he "knows that" because he watches every Bulls game and has also seen lots of Micic games? I have absolutely no clue if that is true, but I'd say the odds of it being true are no better or worse than the odds that "there's a pretty good chance he's not as good as Coby/Sato".

How do you know that "there's a pretty good chance that he's not as good as Coby/Sato"? What makes you say that? How many of Micic's games have you seen?

I'm guessing that if they played in the Euroleague this season, neither Coby nor Sato would have been the MVP.

Not trying to be a dick, but either of you could be completely right or completely wrong.
GoBlue72391
General Manager

Post#57 » by GoBlue72391 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:18 pm

CobyWhite0 wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:

Maybe he "knows that" because he watches every Bulls game and has also seen lots of Micic games? I have absolutely no clue if that is true, but I'd say the odds of it being true are no better or worse than the odds that "there's a pretty good chance he's not as good as Coby/Sato".

How do you know that "there's a pretty good chance that he's not as good as Coby/Sato"? What makes you say that? How many of Micic's games have you seen?

I'm guessing that if they played in the Euroleague this season, neither Coby nor Sato would have been the MVP.

Not trying to be a dick, but either of you could be completely right or completely wrong.
Your hate-boner for me is interesting.

There's also a pretty good chance he's better than them, I'd say it's like 50/50, because it's hard to predict how these guys will translate to the NBA. But to definitively say he's better than them is a stretch considering he's generally viewed as a good backup, which is about equal to what Coby and Sato could be described as.

If he's as good as Sato for half the price or less then it's a W, but we shouldn't bank on him being our starter. With the exception of Luka, the last decade's worth of Euroleague MVPs have been below average to downright awful in the NBA.

Sent from my SM-S115DL using RealGM mobile app
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#58 » by GimmeDat » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:34 am

xpmar9x wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:Spoke to a European scout today about him. Thinks he's an above average backup 'at minimum', so potential starting quality. Thinks he's better than Mike James. Compared to smaller guys like Campazzo, should translate a lot better due to his size.

No reason we can't get both. I'd imagine Micic wouldn't get more than $5m/yr absolute max. Try to S&T Sato/Lauri for Zo? Beat case scenario we land a top-3 pick and get one of Cade or Suggs.

I think because we have Sato, Coby etc., coupled with the fact that Micic's agent has basically said he's not coming to the NBA for a small role, makes me think Micic is more of a Lonzo Plan B than a have your cake and eat it too situation.
CobyWhite0
Rookie
And1: 819

Post#59 » by CobyWhite0 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:59 am

GimmeDat wrote:
xpmar9x wrote:

I think because we have Sato, Coby etc., coupled with the fact that Micic's agent has basically said he's not coming to the NBA for a small role, makes me think Micic is more of a Lonzo Plan B than a have your cake and eat it too situation.

If I were a gambling man, I'd have a lot of money on Sato not being here next season. Especially not when you consider we can probably get Micic for 1/2 of the money Sato makes:

https://www.talkbasket.net/123343-real-madrid-willing-to-make-lucrative-offer-to-vasilije-micic-per-report

Real Madrid is willing to make a very lucrative offer to Vasilije Micic, according to Mozzart Sport.

Per the report, Real could offer a contract to Micic with an annual of 2,5M euros (just over $3 million USD).

Even when you consider the fact that Euro teams pay for their players' living expenses and taxes, 1/2 the Full MLE (roughly $5 million) would be a very, very nice raise.
Almost Retired
Rookie
And1: 570

Post#60 » by Almost Retired » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:52 am

With Coby's shoulder injury our need to add Micic just rose to 11. Maybe he's back-up material. Maybe he clicks with Vooch and Zach and proves himself to be an adequate starter. That isn't beyond the realm of possibility. I only know that at 27 years old with a ton of Euro League experience he will be far more ready to play on Day 1 than any help we might find in the 2nd Round. And he'd come at lot cheaper than Lonzo. His rights are expendable to the Thunder. The Thunder have some nice pieces already and have a ton of Draft picks over the next 4 years. Micic might only get spot minutes on that squad depending on where and who they draft.

Return to Chicago Bulls