ImageImageImage

Hal’s Draft Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Re: 2021 Craft Your Boston Celtics Draft Thread 

Post#581 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Jun 7, 2021 9:07 am

He's probably awful defensively. You can count on one hand the number of good defensive 6' point guards. HIs steal rate is very low, he's short, he can't shoot, he turns it over a lot. What am I missing that he's a first round projection? Nice playmaker or whatever, but everyone will just drop the screen on the PnR because he's a terrible shooter. You can't be a ballhandler if you can't shoot.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
CelticFaninLBC
General Manager
And1: 2,991

Post#582 » by CelticFaninLBC » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:37 pm

Is Scottie Barnes good enough to try and trade up for?

He appears to be a very good defender, who they could put on Giannis, Durant and Bam. He needs improvement on his 3 point shot though.

If Barnes slips past GSW, TOR, ORL and SAC, do you deal Smart and #16 to NO for Bledsoe and #10?
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,429

Post#583 » by playa-hater » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:45 pm

CelticFaninLBC wrote:Is Scottie Barnes good enough to try and trade up for?

He appears to be a very good defender, who they could put on Giannis, Durant and Bam. He needs improvement on his 3 point shot though.

If Barnes slips past GSW, TOR, ORL and SAC, do you deal Smart and #16 to NO for Bledsoe and #10?

I am not sure, but I like your thinking. I love Barnes' switch-ability potential on every position. Like his play-making.. Hate his shooting in a league of high value shooting importance.

*taking it a step further, Imagine Tatum and Barnes on the defensive end together. With Brown and RW.. Championship defense. But then Imagine Tatum being doubled and forced to pass the Scotty. How good will Scotty handle that situation will determine if Boston should trade up.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
CelticFaninLBC
General Manager
And1: 2,991

Post#584 » by CelticFaninLBC » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:28 pm

playa-hater wrote:

I am not sure, but I like your thinking. I love Barnes' switch-ability potential on every position. Like his play-making.. Hate his shooting in a league of high value shooting importance.

*taking it a step further, Imagine Tatum and Barnes on the defensive end together. With Brown and RW.. Championship defense. But then Imagine Tatum being doubled and forced to pass the Scotty. How good will Scotty handle that situation will determine if Boston should trade up.

He seems to have to size to play a small ball 5. I see a lot of comparisons to a taller Draymond Green.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,127

Post#585 » by Hal14 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:33 pm

playa-hater wrote:

I'd say no.

While I haven't done too much research on Barnes (since it seems like literally a 0% chance he's still there at 16) my understanding is that what you describe - excellent defense, swithability, can defend bigs like Durant/Giannis/Bam, good play making but not a good shooter - you're literally also describing Garuba who has a 90% chance of still being there at 16. From what I've seen Barnes is a slightly play maker but Garuba is slightly better on D and slightly better shooter. Both have a really strong frame, NBA-body. Both are 19. Garuba has been facing better competition. I might actually take Garuba over Barnes.

In this video, these guys talk about Garuba and Barnes as shooters and they say that Garuba projects as a better shooter in the NBA. The main host guy even says he sees flaws in Barnes' shot that are probably unfixable and says it could get to the point where he is so bad shooting and creating his own shot that he could be unplayable in the NBA. Barnes might be one of the more overrated players in this draft. It's around the 1:00:00 mark where they're comparing the 2 of them as shooters:

1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#586 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Jun 7, 2021 5:11 pm

No. Bledsoe is pure cancer. Moving up 6 spots to get a guy who could be a massive bust? Just take whoever is at 16 and retain Marcus Smart. I like Barnes, but there is no question he could be truly awful if his shot doesn't develop at all.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#587 » by Spin Move » Mon Jun 7, 2021 7:12 pm

return2glory wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Haven't seen anyone mention this guy. Another stretch 4 / small ball 5. I like this kid.

I see him being right in that same tier with Garuba/Roko/Jones in terms of a possible PF for us in the 16 spot.

Robinson-Earl seems very underrated though. Seems like he's projected to go somewhere in the 30-40 range based on mocks I've seen.

In the video you see him go by Kai Jones off the dribble and dunk on him. That game Robinson-Earl had 19 points and 8 rebounds. Jones had 7 points and 2 rebounds.

I see a lot of similarities with Robinson-Earl and Roko. Both 6'9". Robinson-Earl is beefier at 230 lbs compared to Roko at 220 (with Robinson-Earl being just as quick, maybe even a little quicker) but Robinson-Earl is also 2.5 years older which means a) Robinson-Earl probably more ready to contribute to Celtics next season but b) Roko being much younger has higher upside

Roko also despite being 2.5 years younger is much better passer and also better 3 point shooter (35% Roko from 3, 28% Robinson-Earl), despite Roko going against tougher competition. So I'd probably pick Roko, but IDK, Robinson-Earl is less of a development project and is definitely a better defender (very switchable defender) so you could debate Robinson-Earl being the better pick, especially for a team looking to win now, rather than rebuild..

Good find Hal14.

He is one of my top 5 favorites for us at #16. He might be the best fit for us. This team needs toughness and some size and skilled all around players. Robinson-Earl is that guy. I can see him starting for us at PF with Tatum at the other forward spot and JB at SG.

I saw that yesterday that on one of the mock drafts that he finally moved into the top 20. At this point, he is underrated on the mock drafts. He can score inside and out. He can put the ball on the floor and attack the basket. He can rebound, plays defense and is physical, not to mention well coached.

Robinson Earl is Lester Earl's son, he has short arms for his height, but is a skilled guy, His wingspan is only 6'9 which is a negative, don't know if he is athletic enough to make up for his lack of size but he has some good skills.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Post#588 » by 31to6 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 9:37 pm

Spin Move wrote:
return2glory wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Haven't seen anyone mention this guy. Another stretch 4 / small ball 5. I like this kid.

I see him being right in that same tier with Garuba/Roko/Jones in terms of a possible PF for us in the 16 spot.

Robinson-Earl seems very underrated though. Seems like he's projected to go somewhere in the 30-40 range based on mocks I've seen.

In the video you see him go by Kai Jones off the dribble and dunk on him. That game Robinson-Earl had 19 points and 8 rebounds. Jones had 7 points and 2 rebounds.

I see a lot of similarities with Robinson-Earl and Roko. Both 6'9". Robinson-Earl is beefier at 230 lbs compared to Roko at 220 (with Robinson-Earl being just as quick, maybe even a little quicker) but Robinson-Earl is also 2.5 years older which means a) Robinson-Earl probably more ready to contribute to Celtics next season but b) Roko being much younger has higher upside

Roko also despite being 2.5 years younger is much better passer and also better 3 point shooter (35% Roko from 3, 28% Robinson-Earl), despite Roko going against tougher competition. So I'd probably pick Roko, but IDK, Robinson-Earl is less of a development project and is definitely a better defender (very switchable defender) so you could debate Robinson-Earl being the better pick, especially for a team looking to win now, rather than rebuild..

Good find Hal14.

He is one of my top 5 favorites for us at #16. He might be the best fit for us. This team needs toughness and some size and skilled all around players. Robinson-Earl is that guy. I can see him starting for us at PF with Tatum at the other forward spot and JB at SG.

I saw that yesterday that on one of the mock drafts that he finally moved into the top 20. At this point, he is underrated on the mock drafts. He can score inside and out. He can put the ball on the floor and attack the basket. He can rebound, plays defense and is physical, not to mention well coached.

Robinson Earl is Lester Earl's son, he has short arms for his height, but is a skilled guy, His wingspan is only 6'9 which is a negative, don't know if he is athletic enough to make up for his lack of size but he has some good skills.

I was like "who is Lester Earl?" and found this blast from the past:
;t=63s

Now THIS guy -- Jeremiah -- looks like a coach's dream. If Brad knows about him, I guarantee he likes him a lot. (and it's funny I don't know who the Big East player of the year is, but 20 years of not caring about college hoops will do that I guess). Taking charges, closing out well, moving his feet on the perimeter, doing a little of everything offensively, including getting past my guy Kai Jones and cramming on him -- he looks like Grant Williams, if Grant wasn't 6'5" and kind of crappy.

If Robinson-Earl had another 1" or 2" of height or wingspan he'd be perfect, but he could have most of Grant's minutes -- and all of Semi's -- right off the bat and I'd be happy. (Unless we're higher on Jabari's future than I realize) I know Jeremiah's stock is lower than 16, currently, but I am totally adding him to my list of Bigs I Want: Kai Jones, Garuba, Sengun, Jalen Johnson, I. Jackson, I. Todd, N. Queta, C. Bassey, J. Robinson-Earl. Room for one more! (need to check out those Euros) Also okay with that tall/skinny PG from Australia who will go before us.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
BleedGreen1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,776

Post#589 » by BleedGreen1989 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 10:39 pm

Give me the best shooter/scorer with relative size at position and move on.

So tired of overthinking this every year. I don’t care about long athlete that can’t pass, shoot, or score at a higher level but he can “learn”.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,221

Post#590 » by djFan71 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 10:42 pm

BostonCouchGM was on Robinson-Earl a while back as one of his good role players in this draft. I forget who else: Herb Jones, Marcus Bagley. A couple others.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#591 » by Hal14 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 12:00 am

Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ok, first Troy Baxter and now this guy, Matt Coleman:
https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/07/nba-boston-celtics-matt-coleman-predraft-workouts/

I'm thinking this might mean Stevens is planning on trading our 1st round pick - and that's why we're working out these random guys who aren't on anyone's draft board.

Or are you not allowed to work out real prospects, or at least not until a certain date?
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,393

Post#592 » by threrf23 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:29 am

Hal14 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/07/nba-boston-celtics-matt-coleman-predraft-workouts/

I'm thinking this might mean Stevens is planning on trading our 1st round pick - and that's why we're working out these random guys who aren't on anyone's draft board.

Or are you not allowed to work out real prospects, or at least not until a certain date?

Both are names I hadn't come across.

Troy Baxter is 25 years old, xferred schools twice after starting college in 2016, and as a 24 y/o lengthy athletic specimen playing for Morgan State, he pulled down less than 7 rebounders per 40 while posting a 1-2 A/TO ratio. I'm actually a bit disappointed that we would even work him out. He could show out and that would be just another red flag.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#593 » by playa-hater » Tue Jun 8, 2021 3:56 am

Watching these playoffs, it should be even clearer than ever, the Nets and LAC are going all out with spreading the offense without true a center. they force a switch and pick and pop you to death. I want the most switch-able 2 way player possible at the 3-4 or 4-5 position.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#594 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:01 am

Hal14 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

They always bring in those guys - for summer league and undrafted FA spots.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#595 » by playa-hater » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:04 am

my top 4 hasn't changed much.

1 - Jalen Johnson
2 - Kai Jones
3 - Zaire Williams
4 - Greg Brown

some exceptions possible like Giddey.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#596 » by Bleeding Green » Tue Jun 8, 2021 5:34 am

Hal14 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

It's just working out guys. They have absolutely failed at this part of roster building for a while now. Maybe they can get a sleeper on a two-way instead of Tacko Fall.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#597 » by Hal14 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 12:59 pm

i wouldn't take this guy at 16, but if he's still there in 2nd round at pick 45, he could be an amazing pick. His role would be instant offense off the bench. Come in, play with high energy and hit a bunch of shots.

playa-hater
RealGM

Post#598 » by playa-hater » Tue Jun 8, 2021 3:49 pm

Hal14 wrote:i wouldn't take this guy at 16, but if he's still there in 2nd round at pick 45, he could be an amazing pick. His role would be instant offense off the bench. Come in, play with high energy and hit a bunch of shots.

a Bigger Lou Wiliams clone. if we did that then we would have to give up on Romeo (Nesmith is a keeper) not saying giving up Romeo is right or wrong, just pointing out playtime will be scarce for that position.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#599 » by playa-hater » Tue Jun 8, 2021 3:55 pm

Did someone mention this prospect?

Chris Grenham: NAIA All-American EJ Onu is among the prospects working out for the Celtics this week, according to a source. At 6’11” with a 7’6” wingspan, Onu led Shawnee State to a National Championship this past season. His athleticism will intrigue NBA front offices. 27 mins ago – via Twitter chrisgrenham

Hal14
RealGM

Post#600 » by Hal14 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 3:56 pm

playa-hater wrote:
Hal14 wrote:i wouldn't take this guy at 16, but if he's still there in 2nd round at pick 45, he could be an amazing pick. His role would be instant offense off the bench. Come in, play with high energy and hit a bunch of shots.

a Bigger Lou Wiliams clone. if we did that then we would have to give up on Romeo (Nesmith is a keeper) not saying giving up Romeo is right or wrong, just pointing out playtime will be scarce for that position.

Yeah what I like is he is a niche guy. It's very clear to see what he can do and what he can't do. He could have a very defined role and be damn good at that role. Come off the bench for 20 mins a game and give high energy and instant offense off the bench with insane shooting range, and also slippery quick off the dribble. You literally can't guard him 1 on 1, he's too quick and good finisher inside with a variety of moves ..and makes you pay dearly if you don't come out and defend him hard on PnR, he'll nail the 3 if you give him space.

Could have a solid career as a guy giving you 10 points a game off the bench.

But yeah, someone would probably have to go, between him, Fournier, Pritchard, Nesmith, Langford..

Return to Boston Celtics