ImageImageImageImageImage

How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,837

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#41 » by nykballa2k4 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 3:37 pm

K-DOT wrote:
snadler wrote:This is time for your daily reminder, the knicks are in one of the best situations in the entire league, coming off a 4th seed, lowest payroll, up 70 million in cap space, way too many draft picks, coach of the year. this doom and gloom from past knicks misery is getting boring and annoying..if you can't see that the knicks are on the right path then you are just being miserable and complaining for the sake of complaining
I wouldn't say one of the best situations in the league, cause we're still looking for a true first option

Which will be harder to acquire than it sounds, but of the teams that don't have one, we're probably in the best position

But we are in a better situation than a lot of the board thinks, I believe.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app

Not that I want to do this at all, but in theory we could trade Randle at his cap number, get back a good haul and tank a year, see what crops up, and be in position for two max guys. We have options. (FWIW that's not my top choice at the moment)
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
What do you think about @kporzee? Karl-Anthony Towns: PorzinGOD does not care or need my opinion for he is a higher life form then all of us.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,981

Post#42 » by Capn'O » Tue Jun 8, 2021 3:37 pm

moocow007 wrote:
snadler wrote:This is time for your daily reminder, the knicks are in one of the best situations in the entire league, coming off a 4th seed, lowest payroll, up 70 million in cap space, way too many draft picks, coach of the year. this doom and gloom from past knicks misery is getting boring and annoying..if you can't see that the knicks are on the right path then you are just being miserable and complaining for the sake of complaining

Not to mention having a better looking front office in place than they have had since the mid 90's.

:eyebrows:
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Spot31
Pro Prospect
And1: 513

Post#43 » by Spot31 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 3:39 pm

ENYK wrote:
seren wrote:I genuinely supported the Nets in the finals when they had Kidd/RJ/Kmart. Just don’t have the same interest for this group. Nothing against individual players. I appreciate their game. I just hated how they bulldozed over people’s homes via eminent domain, lying about affordable housing and essentially gifting prime real estate to the owners of that franchise. Not that Knicks are not benefiting from our tax dollars dearly.

Yep, they're Team Gentrification... They can play Hypnotize and use that Coogi pattern all they want, nothing genuinely Brooklyn about that organization.

Ha! Gentrification at it's finest. Come to East New York/Brownsville and see what Brooklyn is really like.
"And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character hope." Rom. 5: 2-4
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,355

Post#44 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Tue Jun 8, 2021 3:41 pm

sol537 wrote:
B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:
sol537 wrote:I'm not against a slow and steady approach.

1) S&T for Lonzo on a reasonable deal
2) Pick-up Frank's QO or sign him to a 1+1 team option deal
3) Draft two-way high IQ guys like Jared Butler and Juzang to bolster the bench and learn from the vets
4) Retain Rose, Taj, Noel on 1-year deals.

Lonzo / Rose / Draftee
RJ / IQ / Luca
Frank / Draftee
Randle / Obi
Mitch / Noel / Taj

We infuse the starting line-up with Mitch, Lonzo, and Frank. That gives Randle three near 40% shooters he can pass to (Frank, Lonzo, and RJ) and it gives Randle a true lob thread who has good hands (Mitch). It also bolsters our defense by adding three defensive upgrades in Mitch, Frank, and Lonzo so Thibs can set the tone early like we know he likes to do. I'm still a believer in Frank in a defined role (defensive stopper & 40% 3-point valve). Frank has also more passing and drive and kick potential than Reggie ever did. It's time to pass the torch. We should once again be a "solid" team with a ton of youth we can continue to develop while retaining cap flexibility to make a big splash the following year. I've always wanted to build a defensive team that can really lock most teams down and I think the above squad can do just that while still retaining a lethal bench mob that helps us win games.

My 2 cents.

I don't hate the plan per se, but I don't see any possible world at all in which in the normal course of events Thibs gives Frank playing time, let alone starts him.

If the squad was as you suggest (and even having 2 draftees on the roster is a stretch), Thibs would have them arranged as

Lonzo / Rose / Draftee
Luca / IQ / Frank
RJ / Vet-min / Draftee
Randle / Obi / Vet-min
Mitch / Noel / Taj

You're probably right but hopefully Frank can take over Bullock's minutes.

Totally agree - but if that was a possible thought why not try Frank on Trae?
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 47,893

Post#45 » by DOT » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:05 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:Not that I want to do this at all, but in theory we could trade Randle at his cap number, get back a good haul and tank a year, see what crops up, and be in position for two max guys. We have options. (FWIW that's not my top choice at the moment)

I think we're past the point where we can realistically tank a season

Like, even if we trade Randle, we still have RJ, Quick, Mitch, and Obi (to a lesser extent) who should all be improving to the point where they'd win us enough games to get us out of the top 5 picks, even without adding anyone of note. Plus if we hit on one of our firsts, that's another guy helping us win

So we'd essentially be where we were in 2018, when KP was having his All Star year after we traded Melo, he won us too many games, and we ended up picking 9th. Maybe we could end up in the bottom 5, but would that be worth it? Then we'd have the cap space yeah, but just like in 2019 when KD and Kyrie passed on us for the Nets, just having cap space isn't everything

I think staying the course, keeping our assets ready for the right move at the right time, is our best bet right now.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
snadler
Head Coach
And1: 7,943

Post#46 » by snadler » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:09 pm

K-DOT wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:Not that I want to do this at all, but in theory we could trade Randle at his cap number, get back a good haul and tank a year, see what crops up, and be in position for two max guys. We have options. (FWIW that's not my top choice at the moment)

Like, even if we trade Randle, we still have RJ, Quick, Mitch, and Obi (to a lesser extent) who should all be improving to the point where they'd win us enough games to get us out of the top 5 picks, even without adding anyone of note. Plus if we hit on one of our firsts, that's another guy helping us win

So we'd essentially be where we were in 2018, when KP was having his All Star year after we traded Melo, he won us too many games, and we ended up picking 9th. Maybe we could end up in the bottom 5, but would that be worth it? Then we'd have the cap space yeah, but just like in 2019 when KD and Kyrie passed on us for the Nets, just having cap space isn't everything

I think staying the course, keeping our assets ready for the right move at the right time, is our best bet right now.

what team goes from 4th seed and 70 million in cap space, basically 3 first round pick into tanking?
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,022

Post#47 » by moocow007 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:14 pm

Clearly it impacts the Knicks in the court of public opinion and the reality is that that matters when it comes to the most important thing (dollars and more dollars). I would expect that the Nets winning a championship (I have them as favorites to do so) will put more pressure on this front office to do something. What that something is? I don't know. But I would imagine it would have to be noticeable progress in some manner. Whether it's adding a star player or trading up for one of the top prospects. But it is what it is right? That's the NBA life. Just more pressure. Will it lead to the Knicks doing something rash or stupid? It might but I get the sense that it's less likely with this group than with any other group in charge since Dave Checketts back in the 90's.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by moocow007 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:16 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
I wouldn't say one of the best situations in the league, cause we're still looking for a true first option

Which will be harder to acquire than it sounds, but of the teams that don't have one, we're probably in the best position

Not that I want to do this at all, but in theory we could trade Randle at his cap number, get back a good haul and tank a year, see what crops up, and be in position for two max guys. We have options. (FWIW that's not my top choice at the moment)

No max guys are going to sign with the Knicks if you start from scratch every time you face adversity nor a team that ships out it's best player cause he can walk on water and perform miracles. We've already seen that.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,064

Post#49 » by RHODEY » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:18 pm

It might effect player movement. Because basically it's will validate the ring chase teamup formula. So for other teams to compete other players will have to follow suit. Top ten players will attract other top ten players and they will try to team up ....thats assuming the league lets this happen.

But there are only so many marque players available. Some teams could be left out in the the cold. That might be us.....If so, that basically forces us to focus on the future drafts and patient/methodical team building. We might have to wait for the Nets to simply age out in 3-4 years.

Well not wait- during that time we put ourselves in position to contend afterwards.
ENYK
Junior
And1: 254

Post#50 » by ENYK » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:18 pm

moocow007 wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
K-DOT wrote:I wouldn't say one of the best situations in the league, cause we're still looking for a true first option

No max guys are going to sign with the Knicks if you start from scratch every time something bad happens.

No max guys should sign here, none of them will make us a contender...

But you'll see that for yourself when we sign Lavine or Beal to a huge contract and get knocked out in the first round by the, Nets, Hawks or Celtics every single year.
sol537
RealGM
And1: 4,909

Post#51 » by sol537 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:19 pm

19 + 21 + 32 + Dal 2023 pick + 2nd rounder + Cash... can it net us a top 5 pick in this draft? Nah... I don't see any of those bottom feeder teams trading out unfortunately.

It would probably have to be Obi + 19th + 32nd to get into the top 5. Would anyone consider that?
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by moocow007 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:20 pm

ENYK wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:

No max guys are going to sign with the Knicks if you start from scratch every time something bad happens.

No max guys should sign here, none of them will make us a contender...

But you'll see that for yourself when we sign Lavine or Beal to a huge contract and get knocked out in the first round by the, Nets, Hawks or Celtics every single year.

So why don't they just roll over and die? That's what you want the Knicks to do? They have a 26 year old star. They have a COY. They have $70 million in cap. They have draft assets. They have a front office that is made up of guys from proven franchises. They managed to win 41 games in a 72 game season with arguably one of the least talented rosters in the league. Why on earth would they want to reboot again? Cause they can't be be the Nets? 28 other teams in the NBA can't be the Nets either. You want to just throw things up in the air and hope for the best? They might as well just fire everyone and hire an organ grinder monkey to run things then.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#53 » by Sark » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:22 pm

sol537 wrote:19 + 21 + 32 + Dal 2023 pick + 2nd rounder + Cash... can it net us a top 5 pick in this draft? Nah... I don't see any of those bottom feeder teams trading out unfortunately.

It would probably have to be Obi + 19th + 32nd to get into the top 5. Would anyone consider that?

That's not getting you a top 5 either.
ENYK
Junior

Post#54 » by ENYK » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:23 pm

Sark wrote:
sol537 wrote:19 + 21 + 32 + Dal 2023 pick + 2nd rounder + Cash... can it net us a top 5 pick in this draft? Nah... I don't see any of those bottom feeder teams trading out unfortunately.

RJ would get us there most likely, but he's the second coming of Tatum, right? So gotta keep him.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by moocow007 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:24 pm

ENYK wrote:
Sark wrote:

RJ would get us there most likely, but he's the second coming of Tatum, right? So gotta keep him.

RJ Barrett isn't the 2nd coming of Tatum IMO. Really trying to be honest here.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,064

Post#56 » by RHODEY » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:31 pm

moocow007 wrote:
ENYK wrote:
Sark wrote:

No but he could become the 2nd coming of Paul Pierce.
ENYK
Junior

Post#57 » by ENYK » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:34 pm

RHODEY wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
ENYK wrote:

No but he could become the 2nd coming of Paul Pierce.

Yeah, I could see that, if RJ showed any signs of being able to shoot off the dribble lol...

People need to stop fantasizing, they'll be disappointed. RJ's best offensive move is a stationary spot up three. Not exactly encouraging from a star potential perspective.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,795

Post#58 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:37 pm

Except there aren't any good FA's available; none that move the needle.

I guess say hello to Lonzo Ball and Demarr DeRozan :D
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#59 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:41 pm

snadler wrote:
K-DOT wrote:

what team goes from 4th seed and 70 million in cap space, basically 3 first round pick into tanking?

The Knicks with a season ending Derrick Rose injury? :D
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#60 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:42 pm

moocow007 wrote:
ENYK wrote:
Sark wrote:

He's more the 2nd coming of Khris Middleton. Well, if he hits his ceiling. Maybe Corey Magette? Hmm. Probably not athletic enough.
:D

Return to New York Knicks