Over The Top: The James Borrego Thread

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Re: Not Van Damme: The James Borrego Thread 

Post#521 » by BigSlam » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:59 am

Article on who should/could be considered for NBA coach of the year this season:

JAMES BORREGO, CHARLOTTE

Gordon Hayward and LaMelo Ball have missed about a quarter of the season with injuries, Kemba Walker is no longer with the Hornets, and Borrego is taking a team that nobody expected much from to, at worst, the play-in round. Borrego likely won't win, in large part because the Hornets don't generate enough attention nationally, but those who truly follow the league will attest to how good a job Borrego has done. They defend, they share the ball, they're balanced and they've found ways to stay in the East race despite a lot of injury woes.
B B M F 'ers
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 42,930

Post#522 » by JDR720 » Tue May 25, 2021 5:24 pm

Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,121

Post#523 » by Snidely FC » Wed May 26, 2021 2:14 pm

I like Borrego I just would have liked to see him be more intrepid with both Carey and Richards this year especially at the end of the season when injuries and losses mounted
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#524 » by BigSlam » Tue Jun 8, 2021 12:52 am

No love for JB:

Read on Twitter

All the losses we piled up to close out the season wouldn’t have helped his cause.
B B M F 'ers
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,503

Post#525 » by HornetJail » Tue Jun 8, 2021 1:47 am

JB receiving any votes would've been laughable
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#526 » by BigSlam » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:04 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:JB receiving any votes would've been laughable

Most mainstream media outlets had the Hornets finishing with the leagues very worst record in their preseason predictions.

Had it not been for some untimely injuries and health/safety protocols torpedoing our main players at the worst possible time, we were well positioned to finish top 6 in the East - maybe even top 4.

The team bomber the last 10 games but still performed well over expectations.
B B M F 'ers
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#527 » by HornetJail » Tue Jun 8, 2021 6:54 pm

BigSlam wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:JB receiving any votes would've been laughable

Most mainstream media outlets had the Hornets finishing with the leagues very worst record in their preseason predictions.

Had it not been for some untimely injuries and health/safety protocols torpedoing our main players at the worst possible time, we were well positioned to finish top 6 in the East - maybe even top 4.

The team bomber the last 10 games but still performed well over expectations.

a lot of predictions (including my own) had Rozier regressing back into the relatively inefficient chucker he always had been prior to last season, LaMelo being a negative on the court as a rookie adjusting to the league with no offseason to speak of, and Miles playing like a gun shy 2019 Andrew Wiggins. With Ball looking like a good starter from day one. Behind the scenes I do think Borrego is doing a good job with his players but let's be honest, Borrego's in-game coaching is never winning him COY votes, as much as Dell Curry and Eric Collins wanted it to happen.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,284

Post#528 » by Hornet Mania » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:09 pm

Nash getting votes is ridiculous. Those should automatically get transferred to D'antoni.

I have no issue with the other guys getting votes over JB, but most coaches could sleepwalk their way to 60 wins (in an 82 game season) with that Brooklyn superteam and what little strategic acumen was necessary came primarily from the lead assistant not Nash.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,121

Post#529 » by Snidely FC » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:53 pm

Sources tell Fischer that the Hornets and head coach James Borrego are expected to work out a contract extension this offseason.
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2021/06/coaching-rumors-magic-bucks-pacers-mcmillan-borrego.html
Robot Rock
Starter
And1: 936

Post#530 » by Robot Rock » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:42 pm

Borrego stepped it up in terms of developing players this past season. I’d said last year I expected him to get better at that or I was fine with kicking him to the curb, but guys like Miles made the leap and LaMelo was phenomenal (though some of that is attributed to natural talent). I was very pleased with how Borrego helped make individuals better. But man, nobody but Miles bought in once May rolled around.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,459

Post#531 » by GoBobs » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:28 pm

LaMelo and Dantoni belong together. JB is ok but the defense is terrible. I would make a move for Dantoni.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#532 » by BigSlam » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:50 am

GoBobs wrote:LaMelo and Dantoni belong together. JB is ok but the defense is terrible. I would make a move for Dantoni.

If JB’s defence is terrible (which I’m not sure it is) then what would you call Dantoni’s defence??
B B M F 'ers
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,459

Post#533 » by GoBobs » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:07 am

BigSlam wrote:
GoBobs wrote:LaMelo and Dantoni belong together. JB is ok but the defense is terrible. I would make a move for Dantoni.

If JB’s defence is terrible (which I’m not sure it is) then what would you call Dantoni’s defence??

I don't disagree, I am just saying, if we are going to have terrible defense, might as well have fabulous offense
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#534 » by HornetJail » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:50 pm

Houston's small ball switching defense was pretty nice until LeBron+AD blasted through it and made everyone forget how good it was against other teams. PJ+Miles aren't Roco+Tucker but the concepts would be nice.

Wouldn't be worse than what we have now, and our offense would be way better. Won't happen since I think D'Antoni only becomes a HC for a contender.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#535 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:26 pm

BigSlam wrote:

Average.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
vorbis
Veteran
And1: 666

Post#536 » by vorbis » Sat Aug 7, 2021 4:49 pm

Read on Twitter
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,548

Post#537 » by yosemiteben » Sat Aug 7, 2021 4:50 pm

Know that might be controversial, but I'm happy with it. I like JB and want him to stick around.
-Ian-
Analyst
And1: 849

Post#538 » by -Ian- » Sat Aug 7, 2021 5:08 pm

yosemiteben wrote:Know that might be controversial, but I'm happy with it. I like JB and want him to stick around.

Why would it be controversial? JB has the body of work to show for this contract extension. And we shouldn't just change a coach unless we'd be getting a clear upgrade.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,035

Post#539 » by Liver_Pooty » Sat Aug 7, 2021 5:15 pm

-Ian- wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:Know that might be controversial, but I'm happy with it. I like JB and want him to stick around.

Why would it be controversial? JB has the body of work to show for this contract extension. And we shouldn't just change a coach unless we'd be getting a clear upgrade.

Yes sir. Glad it's done and over with.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 861

Post#540 » by Chapelchilla » Sat Aug 7, 2021 5:53 pm

I am fine with it, stability and more authority are not bad things at this point

Return to Charlotte Hornets