Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Re: 2021 Draft Thread 

Post#221 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 1:14 am

Sam Lowry Jr wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
MastermindLV wrote:If we get the 6th pick I’d take Moody. We need shooters

The Warriors need scorers more than shooters. They have shooters, the problem is Curry is the only player who can regularly create offense, with Wiggins, Poole, and Green showing occasional ability to create for themselves or others.

Moody can shoot and can somewhat defend ... I just don't think he's special.

Do we really have that many shooters on our team? We were 9th in 3 point percentage and that's with Curry shooting a bulk of the threes. Teams like Utah, Bucks, Brooklyn, Clippers, and Blazers were all better than us. Granted, Klay would help when he comes back, but I think we need another 3 point shooter to keep with the field and open the lanes for Wiseman and Wiggins. Mulder, Lee and Wiggins all shot pretty well based on numbers, but they missed a lot in the clutch as well. Their numbers were also helped because of Steph's gravity. Imagine getting another shooter who is actually a good shooter WITH Steph and Klay's gravity.

Also, I think we need another ball handler who can shoot, but not necessarily a scorer. I think that's a distinction that needs to be made in Kerr's system. A ball dominant scorer won't work quite well in Kerr's system, whereas a ball handler who is an efficient scorer would do wonders.

There were 11 players on the Warriors (counting GP3) who shot above the Mendoza line of .333 on 3s. Also the shooters on the team got considerably better at shooting in the 2nd half of the season as they figured out the offense with Curry.

Mulder IS a good shooter, but his lack elsewhere in the game made him hard to play.

Moody can shoot but his defense is just okay and he's not a good ball handler, passer, or creator.

Jalen Johnson doesn't have the volume behind him but his all around game is much better.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#222 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 1:15 am

What is it about the Florida State system that makes them not have rebounding numbers? It seems like their "team" game is so complete that they don't get dominant players in any category.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#223 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 1:46 am

I'd much rather have Jalen Johnson at 14 than Sengun.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,831

Post#224 » by whatisacenter » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:23 am

Scoots1994 wrote:I'd much rather have Jalen Johnson at 14 than Sengun.

I would be shocked if JJ is available at 14 and doubt that Sengun will still be on the board by then as well.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#225 » by ChuckDurn » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:18 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
MastermindLV wrote:If we get the 6th pick I’d take Moody. We need shooters

The Warriors need scorers more than shooters. They have shooters, the problem is Curry is the only player who can regularly create offense, with Wiggins, Poole, and Green showing occasional ability to create for themselves or others.

Moody can shoot and can somewhat defend ... I just don't think he's special.

Agreed - we need scorers more than shooters...... particularly guys who can create and score for themselves.

That said, it’s not wrong to say that we need some shooting - but specifically at the 4 and 5 positions. We had / have lots of guys who can shoot at the 1, 2, and 3 positions, but nobody who could space the floor whatsoever at the 4 or 5. JTA was serviceable, but he doesn’t shoot at enough volume, and is really more of a 3/4 combo who got pressed into playing as a “big”. Nobody else who played the 4 or 5 could shoot a lick (with volume).

I like Moody, and would be up for drafting him (partly because I think he’s going to develop a lot more in his game than many of the other guys in that draft range, while already having useful skills now). But as you mention, we don’t necessarily need more shooters - at least at the position(s) he plays.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#226 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:25 am

whatisacenter wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:I'd much rather have Jalen Johnson at 14 than Sengun.

I would be shocked if JJ is available at 14 and doubt that Sengun will still be on the board by then as well.

Sengun will rise or fall depending on his combine. If he tests out athletic enough he'll go before 14 but if not then he could fall pretty far.
Chupchup
Junior
And1: 96

Post#227 » by Chupchup » Mon Jun 7, 2021 5:18 pm

If we had the 6th pick and we couldn't trade it then Moody or Barnes for sure. Moody as a 3 and D guy. Barnes the shooting and FT are obvious red flags but at that height and size, he might be a 4/5 center or Draymond replacement. 6'9" guy that can guard 1-5 gives The hope is that he can develop his shooting given his age.

At 14, we should draft whoever can contribute right away. 3 and D or Solid 2 way Guard. Although I really don't think we can carry too many developmental guys. We already have Wiseman. These 1st round picks are guaranteed contracts so pointless to draft them if we can't set aside a roster spot and time for them to play. People always say if you want to Tank, just play the young guys. Curry will be 34 next year I don't see us keeping Wiseman AND 2 more development 1st round picks.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,233

Post#228 » by Onus » Mon Jun 7, 2021 5:53 pm

If you're thinking about drafting Barnes, you should probably want Garuba over Barnes. Garuba is a better defender, can guard 1-5, better rebounder, better rim protector, can make reads and passes as a small ball center. These are things that a small ball center should be doing. While people think Barnes is a wing, if you can't shoot you're going to be center otherwise you put a very low ceiling on the team's offense and Barnes doesn't do enough of the big man things like rebounding and rim protection to play small ball center.

I'm thinking at 6-8 I want Giddey or Sengun. At 14 Trey Murphy. Giddey solves our 2nd playmaker issue. Sengun hopefully his measurements come in that he's 6'11''+ and has at least a 7' ws and hopefully a 9'+ standing reach. If he crosses those benchmarks he should be big enough as a center. Trey solves our issue for a big shooter. He should be able to play the wing 4 and guard 2-4 and be an elite shooter, which will create so much space with Curry and Klay. Having a big that can shoot will be huge and should open up the offense even more.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,210

Post#229 » by EvanZ » Mon Jun 7, 2021 6:33 pm

If the Knicks want Kelly Oubre, we are damn lucky. I wonder what we could get from them.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Swift21
General Manager
And1: 457

Post#230 » by Swift21 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 6:54 pm

Myers says we're looking to add a playmaker. That definitely puts Giddey in play.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,210

Post#231 » by EvanZ » Mon Jun 7, 2021 7:06 pm

Swift21 wrote:Myers says we're looking to add a playmaker. That definitely puts Giddey in play.

It puts an NBA vet in play.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 850

Post#232 » by DevinVassell » Tue Jun 8, 2021 12:02 am

EvanZ wrote:If the Knicks want Kelly Oubre, we are damn lucky. I wonder what we could get from them.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,831

Post#233 » by whatisacenter » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:14 pm

2 weeks until the draft lottery and we find out the Warriors fortunes! Come on 1 and 4! I would also be happy with anything and 14.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 830

Post#234 » by marthafokker » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:35 pm

Please NYK, overpay and get him out of here.

Dubs was so much easier to watch without him at the end of the season. Too bad ran out of gas during play in. Oh well, got that one lottery ball for their effort for the top 3 pick. Just need Silver's help.

Hope Batum signs on with the Dubs. He would be a major upgrade from Oubre for pennies.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 362

Post#235 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Tue Jun 8, 2021 5:10 pm

marthafokker wrote:Please NYK, overpay and get him out of here.

Dubs was so much easier to watch without him at the end of the season. Too bad ran out of gas during play in. Oh well, got that one lottery ball for their effort for the top 3 pick. Just need Silver's help.

Hope Batum signs on with the Dubs. He would be a major upgrade from Oubre for pennies.

Oubre can just outright sign with NYK since he's an UFA, so just him walk. But, if NYK wants to unload an unattractable contract of theirs, a sign-n-trade is possible (Though, I don't think there's anyone on their roster currently that would benefit us.).
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#236 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 5:30 pm

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:

Oubre can just outright sign with NYK since he's an UFA, so just him walk. But, if NYK wants to unload an unattractable contract of theirs, a sign-n-trade is possible (Though, I don't think there's anyone on their roster currently that would benefit us.).

Knicks have 7 players under contract, the rest are options. The Knicks may want to get out from RJ Barrett's contract, they also have Joakim Noah on 1 year and Frank Ntilikina on a qualifying offer. Oubre might get the $80M contract he wants and some combination of those players and a 2nd round draft pick from the Warriors could get it done. The issue then is what the Warriors do with the players they get back.
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 362

Post#237 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Tue Jun 8, 2021 5:46 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:

Knicks have 7 players under contract, the rest are options. The Knicks may want to get out from RJ Barrett's contract, they also have Joakim Noah on 1 year and Frank Ntilikina on a qualifying offer. Oubre might get the $80M contract he wants and some combination of those players and a 2nd round draft pick from the Warriors could get it done. The issue then is what the Warriors do with the players they get back.

Dubs will only trade if 1) The player has actual impact and considered valuable asset seen around the league and 2) Doesn't hurt Mr. Lacob's wallet aka gets us over the salary cap / luxury tax (We'd be second tax offenders due to the Oubre trade last season). Only thing I see happening is possibly trading away their 2nd round pick(s) via sign-n-trade. Otherwise, we get nothing (And that's fine).
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#238 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 6:26 pm

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:

Dubs will only trade if 1) The player has actual impact and considered valuable asset seen around the league and 2) Doesn't hurt Mr. Lacob's wallet aka gets us over the salary cap / luxury tax (We'd be second tax offenders due to the Oubre trade last season). Only thing I see happening is possibly trading away their 2nd round pick(s) via sign-n-trade. Otherwise, we get nothing (And that's fine).

The Warriors ARE over the cap and tax line, there is virtually no way the Warriors are under the salary cap/luxury tax level in the next 12 months. If Curry gets signed to another supermax it will go longer.

If the team can get real value I think they'll do it, I just don't see that value out there all that much.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,358

Post#239 » by GSWFan1994 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 7:21 pm

whatisacenter wrote:2 weeks until the draft lottery and we find out the Warriors fortunes! Come on 1 and 4! I would also be happy with anything and 14.

Exactly, my friend.

The countdown days leading up to the draft lottery are our own playoffs, in a sense.

Cheers!
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,742

Post#240 » by azwfan » Tue Jun 8, 2021 7:21 pm

The only guy I can see NYK wanting to get rid of is Knox. Dont know why Warriors would accept though, can envision him helping us next year and last thing we need is another project... i suppose if we made a trade for a star which would gut us of our other youngsters making Knox the only project.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.

Return to Golden State Warriors