ImageImageImageImageImage

How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

TKKnicks1
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,604

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#61 » by TKKnicks1 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:51 pm

They went all in and paid up for KD depsite the inherent risk involved. The Knicks didn't. Not sure why that makes Knicks fans mad. It paid off for them and they are on their way to a chip, if not this year, it will definitely be next.

Knicks had a great season but they are just as far away from a chip as they were in previous years until they get themselves a KD caliber of a player.
~I Believe!~
offense
RealGM
And1: 4,361

Post#62 » by offense » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:57 pm

NYKat wrote:I think the younger generation of New Yorkers jumps on the bandwagon, especially if they develop a dynasty, which is like my worst nightmare...

Still we have to resist the urge to compete with their success and focus on steady solid acquisitions and internal excellence

If they was going to jump they would have by now, Nets are bottom 4 in viewership despite all the stars,etc. When kd and kyrie retire or leave it will be even worse for them and whatever fans they had will leave too.
offense
RealGM
And1: 4,361

Post#63 » by offense » Tue Jun 8, 2021 5:00 pm

TKKnicks1 wrote:They went all in and paid up for KD depsite the inherent risk involved. The Knicks didn't. Not sure why that makes Knicks fans mad. It paid off for them and they are on their way to a chip, if not this year, it will definitely be next.

Knicks had a great season but they are just as far away from a chip as they were in previous years until they get themselves a KD caliber of a player.

I would say they have a better chance this season that next, next year it will get a whole lot harder. Can't forget an injury can happen with wear and tear, more competitive teams,etc
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,442

Post#64 » by RHODEY » Tue Jun 8, 2021 5:07 pm

ENYK wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
RJ Barrett isn't the 2nd coming of Tatum IMO. Really trying to be honest here.

No but he could become the 2nd coming of Paul Pierce.

Yeah, I could see that, if RJ showed any signs of being able to shoot off the dribble lol...

People need to stop fantasizing, they'll be disappointed. RJ's best offensive move is a stationary spot up three. Not exactly encouraging from a star potential perspective.

I think having the potential to be Paul Pierce is encouraging...in fact...very encouraging.
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 14,908

Post#65 » by KnixtapeH20 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 5:09 pm

Bob Ross wrote:F the Nets. Fugazi NY team. Theyre more of a national interest than a NY interest

100000000%

Nobody in NY gives a FK about the new jersey nets

It has no impact whatsoever on the knicks or NY. The parade would be so fkn corny. U wanna talk about not cool kd? Take a video of the parade if they win
ENYK
Junior
And1: 254

Post#66 » by ENYK » Tue Jun 8, 2021 5:10 pm

RHODEY wrote:
ENYK wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
No but he could become the 2nd coming of Paul Pierce.

Yeah, I could see that, if RJ showed any signs of being able to shoot off the dribble lol...

People need to stop fantasizing, they'll be disappointed. RJ's best offensive move is a stationary spot up three. Not exactly encouraging from a star potential perspective.

I think having the potential to be Paul Pierce is encouraging...in fact...very encouraging.

Paul Pierce showed more go-to scoring ability in college than RJ has in two years as a pro, I don't know where this comparison is coming from except for their shared mediocre athleticism.

Paul Pierce was lethal from day 1 as an off the dribble shooter and volume scorer. Later on he developed his off-the ball game as a spot up three shooter so he could win a championship with two other HOF players.

RJ is on the opposite, role player trajectory... He has the stationary spot up 3 and nothing else worth mentioning.
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,909

Post#67 » by DaGawd » Tue Jun 8, 2021 5:11 pm

ENYK wrote:
Sark wrote:
sol537 wrote:19 + 21 + 32 + Dal 2023 pick + 2nd rounder + Cash... can it net us a top 5 pick in this draft? Nah... I don't see any of those bottom feeder teams trading out unfortunately.

It would probably have to be Obi + 19th + 32nd to get into the top 5. Would anyone consider that?

That's not getting you a top 5 either.

RJ would get us there most likely, but he's the second coming of Tatum, right? So gotta keep him.

I’d really be tempted to deal RJ and both our and the Mavs first for a top 5 pick.. he just screams really high end role player to me.. I don’t see the FO having the balls to make such controversial trade tho
BaF
Washington Wizards
ENYK
Junior

Post#68 » by ENYK » Tue Jun 8, 2021 5:15 pm

DaGawd wrote:
ENYK wrote:
Sark wrote:

That's not getting you a top 5 either.

RJ would get us there most likely, but he's the second coming of Tatum, right? So gotta keep him.

I’d really be tempted to deal RJ and both our and the Mavs first for a top 5 pick.. he just screams really high end role player to me.. I don’t see the FO having the balls to make such controversial trade tho

If we can turn RJ and picks (both 2021 picks, maybe even next year's, it's weak a** draft) into draft rights for either of the Jalens, we have to do it.

RJ-type players are a dime a dozen...
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#69 » by Marty McFly » Tue Jun 8, 2021 5:17 pm

Jimmit79 wrote:It's kinda sad the nets did what Knicks haven't been able to do for 40+ years.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

the nets haven't done it all, so it's about time.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#70 » by Marty McFly » Tue Jun 8, 2021 5:20 pm

It won't impact the knicks at all because James Dolan has been on Leon Rose's dick for almost as long as he's been on Mills'.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 14,908

Post#71 » by KnixtapeH20 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 5:36 pm

ENYK wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
ENYK wrote:

Paul Pierce showed more go-to scoring ability in college than RJ has in two years as a pro, I don't know where this comparison is coming from except for their shared mediocre athleticism.

Paul Pierce was lethal from day 1 as an off the dribble shooter and volume scorer. Later on he developed his off-the ball game as a spot up three shooter so he could win a championship with two other HOF players.

RJ is on the opposite, role player trajectory... He has the stationary spot up 3 and nothing else worth mentioning.

Lmfao... Imagine putting a ceiling on a 20 year old hard working gym rat who showed so much improvement all around as RJ... SMH

His 3pt shooting, his FT % and his ability to get to the rim drastically improved. Yet u wanna cap this **** bc u have some type of agenda? Go on wit that bro
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,909

Post#72 » by DaGawd » Tue Jun 8, 2021 5:39 pm

KnixtapeH20 wrote:
ENYK wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

Lmfao... Imagine putting a ceiling on a 20 year old hard working gym rat who showed so much improvement all around as RJ... SMH

His 3pt shooting, his FT % and his ability to get to the rim drastically improved. Yet u wanna cap this **** bc u have some type of agenda? Go on wit that bro

I mean usually a superstar wing shows a bit more in the way of shot creation at this stage than RJ has.. it’ll take him drastically changing his athletic ability or shiftiness/ball handle to really be that player. Without that and steady improvement he’s be one of the best 3 and D role players in the league.. but not necessarily a star which we need a young star in the worst way
BaF
Washington Wizards
ENYK
Junior

Post#73 » by ENYK » Tue Jun 8, 2021 5:41 pm

DaGawd wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:
ENYK wrote:

I mean usually a superstar wing shows a bit more in the way of shot creation at this stage than RJ has.. it’ll take him drastically changing his athletic ability or shiftiness/ball handle to really be that player. Without that and steady improvement he’s be one of the best 3 and D role players in the league.. but not necessarily a star which we need a young star in the worst way

No, but the argument that "he's only 20" is completely logical... Let's go off of fantasy rather than what we see before our eyes...

You're completely right. He's on a role player trajectory (albeit a very good one). You don't build around role players before you land a true star. Unless, of course, you are the Knicks.
NYKat
RealGM
And1: 4,395

Post#74 » by NYKat » Tue Jun 8, 2021 5:49 pm

snadler wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
snadler wrote:
The knicks suck? 4th seed, COY and MOY really?

4th seed was just luck of the schedule. There were like 2 games between 4th and 11th.
Knicks are a bubble playoff team, 8th/9th
Thibs gets credit for that.

Narrative has already started Thibs got outclassed in the playoffs and Randle choked and isn't all that.

Knicks draft picks are mediocre and no one is coming to play for Thibs or with Randle and RJ. No one that will prevent the team from being an 8th seed, 1st round exit.

Leon Rose and WWW will get a little richer, disappoint Dolan and then get fired in 2 years.

Gees, how miserable can you be?

Lol, Right?

I was thinking, that’s some glass half empty ass sh*t, right there
NYKat
RealGM
And1: 4,395

Post#75 » by NYKat » Tue Jun 8, 2021 5:55 pm

offense wrote:
NYKat wrote:I think the younger generation of New Yorkers jumps on the bandwagon, especially if they develop a dynasty, which is like my worst nightmare...

Still we have to resist the urge to compete with their success and focus on steady solid acquisitions and internal excellence

If they was going to jump they would have by now, Nets are bottom 4 in viewership despite all the stars,etc. When kd and kyrie retire or leave it will be even worse for them and whatever fans they had will leave too.

I mean the real young kids...

I gotta 9 year old who keeps talking that Kevin Durant sh*t, and I gotta resist the urge to whoop his ass for throwing it in my face, lol
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#76 » by nykballa2k4 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 5:59 pm

moocow007 wrote:
ENYK wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
No max guys are going to sign with the Knicks if you start from scratch every time something bad happens.

No max guys should sign here, none of them will make us a contender...

But you'll see that for yourself when we sign Lavine or Beal to a huge contract and get knocked out in the first round by the, Nets, Hawks or Celtics every single year.

So why don't they just roll over and die? That's what you want the Knicks to do? They have a 26 year old star. They have a COY. They have $70 million in cap. They have draft assets. They have a front office that is made up of guys from proven franchises. They managed to win 41 games in a 72 game season with arguably one of the least talented rosters in the league. Why on earth would they want to reboot again? Cause they can't be be the Nets? 28 other teams in the NBA can't be the Nets either. You want to just throw things up in the air and hope for the best? They might as well just fire everyone and hire an organ grinder monkey to run things then.

Roll over and die is a plan... just saying...

Signing a max player into cap space would be fine (if there was a guy to sign). As long as we preserve a war-chest so that we can go all-in for the next Harden-type who is demanding out.

In the interest of being real, the teams who have won championships in the past 10 years have all have had a wing player who is capable of being all-defense and also leading a team in scoring.
Lakers - LeBron
Raptors - Kawhi
Warriors - KD
Warriors - KD
Cavs - LeBron
Warriors - only exception with Iguodala/Barnes both being high-end athletic defenders
Spurs - Kawhi
Heat - Bron
Heat - Bron
Mavs - Shawn Marion. (other possible exception due to age)

So 8/10, possible 9/11 of the most recent seasons, it have come to having Durant, LeBron, Kawhi on your team.
So right now the surest way to a title comes by getting one of these 3 two-way players, or locating them in the draft.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,273

Post#77 » by DOT » Tue Jun 8, 2021 6:05 pm

KnixtapeH20 wrote:
ENYK wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

I still don't get the "RJ is nothing but a 3-D guy, and will never be anything but a 3-D guy"

He scored 18 a game and only took 4 threes a game. Most of his offense came from things other than spotting up from 3

His Iso and PnR game were both pretty bad compared to the rest of the league (around 36th percentile each), but both were improved from last year, and show he has more than just 3-D potential. I fail to see how it's a bad thing that we have a wing who can shoot with a developing on-ball game. If it were the other way around, these same posters would be bemoaning the fact that RJ would never be able to work with another star, because he has no off-ball game

Some people just need to feel smarter than everyone else by being pessimistic all the time I guess.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
ENYK
Junior

Post#78 » by ENYK » Tue Jun 8, 2021 6:07 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
ENYK wrote:
No max guys should sign here, none of them will make us a contender...

But you'll see that for yourself when we sign Lavine or Beal to a huge contract and get knocked out in the first round by the, Nets, Hawks or Celtics every single year.

So why don't they just roll over and die? That's what you want the Knicks to do? They have a 26 year old star. They have a COY. They have $70 million in cap. They have draft assets. They have a front office that is made up of guys from proven franchises. They managed to win 41 games in a 72 game season with arguably one of the least talented rosters in the league. Why on earth would they want to reboot again? Cause they can't be be the Nets? 28 other teams in the NBA can't be the Nets either. You want to just throw things up in the air and hope for the best? They might as well just fire everyone and hire an organ grinder monkey to run things then.

Roll over and die is a plan... just saying...

Signing a max player into cap space would be fine (if there was a guy to sign). As long as we preserve a war-chest so that we can go all-in for the next Harden-type who is demanding out.

In the interest of being real, the teams who have won championships in the past 10 years have all have had a wing player who is capable of being all-defense and also leading a team in scoring.
Lakers - LeBron
Raptors - Kawhi
Warriors - KD
Warriors - KD
Cavs - LeBron
Warriors - only exception with Iguodala/Barnes both being high-end athletic defenders
Spurs - Kawhi
Heat - Bron
Heat - Bron
Mavs - Shawn Marion. (other possible exception due to age)

So 8/10, possible 9/11 of the most recent seasons, it have come to having Durant, LeBron, Kawhi on your team.
So right now the surest way to a title comes by getting one of these 3 two-way players, or locating them in the draft.

Rolling over and dying is the ONLY plan.

Kawhi ain't coming here... That entire generation of star wings/guards ain't coming here.

So you have to draft that guy, or have enough low cost young assets/picks to trade for that guy from the next generation of superstars (Tatum, Zion, Donovan, Luka, etc.) and the cap flexibility to pair him with one of his peers.

This is a 5 year plan, not a 1-2 year plan. But this is the Knicks, and we've proven time and again we don't have the appetite for a true rebuild. We have a nice little run in the regular season and we're ready to start throwing money at glorified role players expecting them to one day be contender-worthy superstars.

Three top 4 picks in 36 years suggests we haven't actually tried the tank/organic rebuild process for the time it actually takes for it to be effective.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,313

Post#79 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Jun 8, 2021 6:28 pm

NYKat wrote:
snadler wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
4th seed was just luck of the schedule. There were like 2 games between 4th and 11th.
Knicks are a bubble playoff team, 8th/9th
Thibs gets credit for that.

Narrative has already started Thibs got outclassed in the playoffs and Randle choked and isn't all that.

Knicks draft picks are mediocre and no one is coming to play for Thibs or with Randle and RJ. No one that will prevent the team from being an 8th seed, 1st round exit.

Leon Rose and WWW will get a little richer, disappoint Dolan and then get fired in 2 years.

Gees, how miserable can you be?

Lol, Right?

I was thinking, that’s some glass half empty ass sh*t, right there

No way. This me being glass half full.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,656

Post#80 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jun 8, 2021 6:37 pm

offense wrote:
TKKnicks1 wrote:They went all in and paid up for KD depsite the inherent risk involved. The Knicks didn't. Not sure why that makes Knicks fans mad. It paid off for them and they are on their way to a chip, if not this year, it will definitely be next.

I would say they have a better chance this season that next, next year it will get a whole lot harder. Can't forget an injury can happen with wear and tear, more competitive teams,etc

If I'm the Nets next season, I just play the regular season to get a top 3 or 4 seed. It's more important to manage the big cats minutes. Just have them all ready for the playoffs. If they can do that, they should be in the Finals.
Free Palestine

Return to New York Knicks