Image ImageImage Image

The Around The NBA Thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,703

Re: The Around The NBA Thread 

Post#1261 » by jc23 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:05 pm

MrFortune3 wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:You just don't get blown out by 40 points in the playoffs unless there is something seriously wrong with your team.

Bud is getting **** canned after this year. There is no way he survives this if they lose this series.

It’s their last move to give hope to a different outcome for next year.

Milwaukee bucks in the regular season and bambis in the playoffs
Be curious, Not judgmental
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,373

Post#1262 » by Hangtime84 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 3:13 pm

Bud is going to an amazing job in Portland
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,083

Post#1263 » by MGB8 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:11 pm

BullChit wrote:So when do all the GMs officially go in Giannis watch!

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

I don't know about all the GMs, but I certainly am.

Assuming this ends badly for the Bucks... which I think is likely... if I were them I'd be looking to either

(1) blow it up completely and get the haul of all hauls for Giannis (i.e., the Warriors win the lotto and jump to 1 from 14, and the Wolves pick at 7 also converts, and Golden State sends Wiseman, Wiggins (for salary) those 2 picks plus 4 other unprotected firsts stretching out as long as it needs to for Giannis), then get as much as possible for Jrue and/or Middleton...

Or, more likely with Giannis being 26:

(2) get as much as possible for both Middleton and Jrue in a play for at least one better player (Dame?) - a la either Jrue or Middleton getting sent to GS for Wiggins and both the picks this year - assuming Wolves stay 6 or 7, GS staying at 14, (GS being a team that is in "win now" mode), and those picks, as well as the other of the Jrue/Middleton duo, being sent to Portland along with Divincenzo for Dame....

But Jrue-Middleton-Giannis is not a championship core. Middleton, in particular, should never have been an all-star - he's a solid, two-way wing, which is nice, but not special. A "glue guy."

Jrue I think is a little better that Middleton, even if he isn't the shooter (though he shot 39% from 3 this season on solid volume). The issue with Jrue is that he's not really a lead guard, he's a combo. You basically have no offensive "alpha" on that team - Giannis can't be your lead ball handler and isn't a "dump it into him and watch him score" guy a la Embiid or Shaq, while Middleton and Jrue are also offensively "beta" players - even if they are very good "beta" players.

A CP3 or even a younger Rondo could work wonders for that team... but they don't have the ability to bring in anyone like that (if anyone like that would even be available).
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,134

Post#1264 » by Michael Jackson » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:38 pm

Giannis is a strange spot. Both him and Dame are stuck in dead ends... Giannis needs help he is limited, in many ways he is just “better” Ben Simmons. Them teaming up somewhere makes that team legit, but they both need the help of each other right now.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,008

Post#1265 » by MrSparkle » Tue Jun 8, 2021 5:22 pm

Quick thoughts:

1. No idea why anybody thought the Nets would 'struggle.' So long Durant is healthy, he is the best player of the last 5 years, only hurt by that Achilles. He's like Kawhi with 3 more inches and super juiced 3P stats, and even more speed. The role-players on that team have looked really good all season long, carrying the squad while the big 3 nursed and rested a lot.

2. Haven't really loved any of the major Bucks FO moves since the initial Bledsoe (Suns) trade. I thought they overpaid for him (FRP), overpaid for his extension, gave up Brogdon due to conflicting cap resources, overpaid for Lopez's and Middleton's extensions, overpaid for Jrue (FRPs), and now will have to overpay for his extension. I guess it's cool that the owner doesn't care about the luxury tax at all, but they just don't have any trade-able contracts and assets left. Portis was a good pickup, but he's now gonna want to get paid. Lastly, I don't really know what happened with that Bogdanovic situation, but that was a big screw up and/or loss. He is exactly the wing depth this team needed. Giannis needs a shooting freak to balance him out. Too bad they don't have anything to send for Lillard, unless they move onto 2030 FRPs.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,133

Post#1266 » by HomoSapien » Tue Jun 8, 2021 5:35 pm

I love Giannis, but he has never struck me as a 1A. He desperately needs a Lillard or LaVine type of player as a sidekick.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,504

Post#1267 » by Andi Obst » Tue Jun 8, 2021 5:51 pm

MrSparkle wrote:He's like Kawhi with 3 more inches and super juiced 3P stats, and even more speed.

I don't want to get into a Durant vs Kawhi debate, but I feel like it should at least be mentioned that Durant is a far worse defender than Kawhi. What you're saying isn't wrong, but it makes Kawhi look worse than he really is. He's leading his team on both ends.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,375

Post#1268 » by DuckIII » Tue Jun 8, 2021 7:04 pm

What are the odds of a Dame/Freak swap? Definitely makes sense for Portland and I could see some logic in Milwaukee.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1269 » by Michael Jackson » Tue Jun 8, 2021 7:40 pm

DuckIII wrote:What are the odds of a Dame/Freak swap? Definitely makes sense for Portland and I could see some logic in Milwaukee.

Does a swap do much? Slightly better fit maybe... team up is more likely. Fictional destination OKC works all their assets to get them to team up with SGA... don’t know how haven’t given it any thought but something like that.
MGB8
RealGM

Post#1270 » by MGB8 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 7:40 pm

DuckIII wrote:What are the odds of a Dame/Freak swap? Definitely makes sense for Portland and I could see some logic in Milwaukee.

That would be interesting - but kind of shuffling deck chairs because I don't know that anything changes. It would have to be Dame and something or other for Giannis - picks, maybe RoCo.... but does the new Giannis-CJ-resigned Powell-Nurkic core have more upside than the Dame group? Maybe? Is Dame-Jrue-Middleton-RoCo-Lopez ???? plus some other pieces give a better shot of advancing than the Giannis version?
MGB8
RealGM

Post#1271 » by MGB8 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 7:41 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:

Does a swap do much? Slightly better fit maybe... team up is more likely. Fictional destination OKC works all their assets to get them to team up with SGA... don’t know how haven’t given it any thought but something like that.

The problem would be whether Giannis would want to go to OKC (or Dame), where you don't send a guy like that to somewhere they don't want to go - would destroy the franchise's reputation among players.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,681

Post#1272 » by madvillian » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:20 pm

Jay Williams is such a turd.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,133

Post#1273 » by HomoSapien » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:56 pm

The Charlotte Hornets — a team already littered with former Boston Celtics players on their roster — may be looking to bring yet another into the fold this offseason. According to The Charlotte Observer’s Rick Bonnell, there is a belief around North Carolina that the team could make a run at ex-Celtic turned Chicago Bulls big-man, Daniel Theis.

“Mitch Kupchak (Hornets GM) said yesterday that he could see adding multiple centers this off-season,” Bonnell tweeted. “A name I’ve heard might be on the list of options: Free agent-to-be Daniel Theis.”

https://heavy.com/sports/boston-celtics/daniel-theis-hornets-free-agency-rumors/
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1274 » by Michael Jackson » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:40 pm

MGB8 wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:

The problem would be whether Giannis would want to go to OKC (or Dame), where you don't send a guy like that to somewhere they don't want to go - would destroy the franchise's reputation among players.

I was using them as an example because they have the assets to make some moves and have SGA so getting two stars and creating a BKN type team is possible. OKC is a tough sell obviously b ut it is for two guys coming from Portland and Milwaukee so it might not be so bad in their case. I assume PResti is looking to use the draft capitol for a move like this at some point but for it to work you would really need two premiere players like those two and SGA. It has to be a big 3.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1275 » by Michael Jackson » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:42 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
The Charlotte Hornets — a team already littered with former Boston Celtics players on their roster — may be looking to bring yet another into the fold this offseason. According to The Charlotte Observer’s Rick Bonnell, there is a belief around North Carolina that the team could make a run at ex-Celtic turned Chicago Bulls big-man, Daniel Theis.

“Mitch Kupchak (Hornets GM) said yesterday that he could see adding multiple centers this off-season,” Bonnell tweeted. “A name I’ve heard might be on the list of options: Free agent-to-be Daniel Theis.”

https://heavy.com/sports/boston-celtics/daniel-theis-hornets-free-agency-rumors/

Truth is This is likely going to get a bigger contract than he is worth somewhere. Bulls would have to operate over the cap (likely this year) to retain him. Not a huge loss but AK's playoff run plan failed and Gafford would have been more useful for the money at this point.
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,297

Post#1276 » by Leslie Forman » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:43 pm

MrSparkle wrote:2. Haven't really loved any of the major Bucks FO moves since the initial Bledsoe (Suns) trade.

It's a just plain bad front office. I didn't think Otis Smith was good even though he made the Finals, or MyHusbandPax even though they made the ECF, or David Griffin even though he literally won a title, or same for Nelson/Cuban. They completely botched the Bogdanovic deal, they stupidly let Brogdon go, which they then had to blow their entire asset wad on to fix with Holiday, and now they're actually worse than they were in 2019.

As for what they can do now that they're stuck in no cap room/draft assets hell, turn Giannis into a center. Using him as a ballhandler is clearly not working against the very best playoff teams. This is three years in a row now. You can't keep blaming the coach when your star player is so fundamentally flawed, so consistently.

I can't see both of them just ditching their star players with deep roots there who don't even want to leave when it's so hard for a small market team to ever land someone like that.

You know what I could see? A deal like McCollum+Covington for Middleton+DiVincenzo or something. Is that just moving deck chairs for both teams? Probably. Is just moving deck chairs what I think both teams actually want to do? Yeah.
Pax for Prez
Starter
And1: 375

Post#1277 » by Pax for Prez » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:58 pm

Read on Twitter
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1278 » by Michael Jackson » Tue Jun 8, 2021 11:50 pm

Leslie Forman wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:2. Haven't really loved any of the major Bucks FO moves since the initial Bledsoe (Suns) trade.

It's a just plain bad front office. I didn't think Otis Smith was good even though he made the Finals, or MyHusbandPax even though they made the ECF, or David Griffin even though he literally won a title, or same for Nelson/Cuban. They completely botched the Bogdanovic deal, they stupidly let Brogdon go, which they then had to blow their entire asset wad on to fix with Holiday, and now they're actually worse than they were in 2019.

As for what they can do now that they're stuck in no cap room/draft assets hell, turn Giannis into a center. Using him as a ballhandler is clearly not working against the very best playoff teams. This is three years in a row now. You can't keep blaming the coach when your star player is so fundamentally flawed, so consistently.

I can't see both of them just ditching their star players with deep roots there who don't even want to leave when it's so hard for a small market team to ever land someone like that.

You know what I could see? A deal like McCollum+Covington for Middleton+DiVincenzo or something. Is that just moving deck chairs for both teams? Probably. Is just moving deck chairs what I think both teams actually want to do? Yeah.

Yeah they can’t have Giannis as the primary ball handler it is awful in the playoffs and not just once. You nailed it with the multiple bad moves. Brogdon was stupid and short sighted. Bogdanovic was embarrassingly bad. No idea what they can do now. Still not worse than the Bulls but it isn’t good.
Chewie
Lead Assistant
And1: 336

Post#1279 » by Chewie » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:00 am

I didn't think it was possible to dislike anyone else's flopping more than Trae's but Embiid takes the cake.
Turn down for what?
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,725

Post#1280 » by TheSuzerain » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:30 am

Spoiler:
Chewie wrote:I didn't think it was possible to dislike anyone else's flopping more than Trae's but Embiid takes the cake.

Embiid is incredible to watch. This quarter is one of the most skillful displays I've seen from a center ever. Get your eyes fixed.

Return to Chicago Bulls