Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Official Trade Thread - Part XLI 

Post#121 » by Ruzious » Tue Jun 8, 2021 6:23 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Lol, why? I can only assume for business reasons and not for basketball reasons.

And should we assume that that means Deni is being shopped?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#122 » by FAH1223 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 6:35 pm

Ruzious wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Lol, why? I can only assume for business reasons and not for basketball reasons.

And should we assume that that means Deni is being shopped?

Nope. But they want Deni playing in Summer League.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,309

Post#123 » by NatP4 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 6:42 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

:noway:

That report also states that we have the 11th overall pick, which isn’t even close.

That hypothetical trade would still be awful. Bertans+1st round pick for Porzingis.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#124 » by pcbothwel » Tue Jun 8, 2021 6:45 pm

TGW wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

That's just silly. Rui is a decent player, but untouchable? C'mon. Unless they're just trying to push up his trade value.

Lol... you'll are getting way to worked up.
So "a source" tells some asshat website that Rui is "essentially" off the table?

What a whole bunch of nothing.
1) Literally anyone could be a source
2) fortyeightminutes.com is not some credible site. Hell, they think we currently have the 11th pick. Yeah, real journalism here...
3) Even IF the report was true, who has a problem with "essentially" off the table for Rui? I.E. Unless we are using him to get a legit star to compete, then we arent moving Rui. Why is that a problem?

Anyway...
- Trade 15 to Hou for 23 & 24 (be willing to SLIGHLY lower trade protection on our 2023 pick we owe them if need be, but not much)
- Trade Bertans, Hutch, and 24 to Memphis for Melton, Kyle Anderson, and 51
- Draft Duarte/Butler/Springer/Garuba/Queta/Petrusev at 23, Bassey/Herb Jones/Prkacin/Livers at 51
- Resign Mathews and Winston
- Sign Otto/Batum with MLE
- Sign Louis King cheap (2-3 years for 1-2M/year)

Russ / Melton
Beal / Duarte
Rui / Deni
Anderson / Otto
Bryant / Gafford

Deep Bench: Mathews, Winston, Bassey, King

Oh, and we would be under the tax which gives us more flexibility. But that team is skilled, versatile, and has a high IQ.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,309

Post#125 » by NatP4 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 6:54 pm

I wouldn’t call fortyeightminutes a reputable source either, but they were literally the only ones that had actual accurate wizards information throughout the season. They had the Troy Brown scoop before anyone.

It seems like they’ve been pretty on the money as of late with the wizards.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#126 » by nate33 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 6:57 pm

"Essentially off the table" doesn't mean much. It just means we're not actively shopping him and would only involve him in a trade that brings back a very good asset. Basically, it means we are valuing Hachimura at more than his current production, which seems appropriate since he is a young player with a pretty good foundation of size, athleticism and skill (even if he doesn't have a great feel for the game yet).
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#127 » by payitforward » Tue Jun 8, 2021 7:37 pm

No surprise that Rui is "off the table." He is valuable well beyond what he contributes to winning games; everybody knows that.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#128 » by FAH1223 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 7:58 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
TGW wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

That's just silly. Rui is a decent player, but untouchable? C'mon. Unless they're just trying to push up his trade value.

Lol... you'll are getting way to worked up.
So "a source" tells some asshat website that Rui is "essentially" off the table?

What a whole bunch of nothing.
1) Literally anyone could be a source
2) fortyeightminutes.com is not some credible site. Hell, they think we currently have the 11th pick. Yeah, real journalism here...
3) Even IF the report was true, who has a problem with "essentially" off the table for Rui? I.E. Unless we are using him to get a legit star to compete, then we arent moving Rui. Why is that a problem?

Anyway...
- Trade 15 to Hou for 23 & 24 (be willing to SLIGHLY lower trade protection on our 2023 pick we owe them if need be, but not much)
- Trade Bertans, Hutch, and 24 to Memphis for Melton, Kyle Anderson, and 51
- Draft Duarte/Butler/Springer/Garuba/Queta/Petrusev at 23, Bassey/Herb Jones/Prkacin/Livers at 51
- Resign Mathews and Winston
- Sign Otto/Batum with MLE
- Sign Louis King cheap (2-3 years for 1-2M/year)

Russ / Melton
Beal / Duarte
Rui / Deni
Anderson / Otto
Bryant / Gafford

Deep Bench: Mathews, Winston, Bassey, King

Oh, and we would be under the tax which gives us more flexibility. But that team is skilled, versatile, and has a high IQ.

How about Torrey Craig in lieu of Otto or Batum?
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,447

Post#129 » by mhd » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:05 pm

My latest (posted this on the trade board):

Simple trade (assuming current lottery draft standings):

Boston trades: Kemba+Nesmith for Bledsoe+Thomas Bryant (expiring)
OKC trades: Horford+Jerome+#18+#35 for Kemba+Nesmith+#10
NO trades: Bledsoe+#10 for Bertans+Hutchison(expiring)+#18
Wiz trade: Bertans+Bryant(expiring)+Hutchison(expiring) for Horford+Jerome+#35

WHY FOR Boston?
1). They save roughly 12.6 million in salary (that could allow them to resign Fournier and avoid the lux tax).
2). Bryant is coming off an ACL and is expiring, but he's a stretch big that fits their system.

WHY FOR the Wiz?
1). Horford gives them a reliable center to replace Bryant and allows Gafford to mature into the role of future starting center. He's also a much better defender than Bryant.
2). Jerome is young, can shoot, and can play either PG or SG with size. The early 2nd rounder can also get them a young talent.

WHY FOR NO?
1). They need more shooting for Zion (especially in SVG's system). Bertans is signed longterm and is a better fit for their offense vs Bledsoe. Going down to #18 isn't a big drop-off considering this draft has a top tier (the big 5) and then everything after that is relatively level.

WHY FOR OKC?
1). They agree to take on Kemba's worse deal (compared to Horford) to move up 8 spots in the draft (they both expire at the same time) and get a young potential shooter in Nessmith as well.

Before the draft & FA, our new lineup would be:
PG: Russ/Jerome
SG: Beal/Matthews
SF: Deni/
PF: Rui/
C: Horford/Gafford

I would take Kispert at 15 (Wagner would be a dream, but he's not falling to 15) if he's there in this scenario. He's a heck of a shooter and would replace Bertans's shot relatively speaking. Jerome played pretty well last year and he has PG skills. I think he's underrated, and he is signed dirt cheap for the foreseeable future. In FA, go after the best 3&D vet defensive wing and maybe resign Neto to the vet min. Our defense would improve immensely with Horford & Gafford. Horford still can shoot from deep and is still a smart vet (plus his contract is only guaranteed for 14 million next year (his expiring year)). It could be used as a cap ballast for a future trade.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,447

Post#130 » by mhd » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:48 pm

I didn't realize Bledsoe has only 3.5 million guaranteed for next year. I'd modify my trade idea then to kick Boston out:

Would New Orleans be interested in moving down to 15 from 10 in my scenario?

Wiz trade: Bertans+Bryant (expiring)+Hutchison (expiring)+15 for Horford+Jerome+10
NO trade: Bledsoe+10 for Bertans+Hutchison+15+35
OKC trade: Horford (14.5 million guaranteed in his last year)+Jerome+35 for Bryant (expiring)+Bledsoe (only 3.5 million guaranteed in his last year)

OKC saves roughly 15 million in real cash in the deal. If we were able to move up to #10, we could maybe get Wagner:

NEW LINEUP:
PG: Russ/Jerome
SG: Beal/Matthews
SF: Deni/Wagner
PF: Rui/Gill
C: Horford/Gafford

Sign a vet 3&D forward, and we'd be in much better shape next year.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,930

Post#131 » by Frichuela » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:49 pm

How about Torrey Craig in lieu of Otto or Batum?[/quote]

This. I am a fan of his. It seems his 3 pt shooting has come around this season. Great defender with length who should fit quite well with Russ and Brad. It should not cost more than $5 mn/season..although if Phoenix continues their current playoff run you never know...
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#132 » by gambitx777 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:57 pm

One I wouldn't trade Rui either. But when John wall wasn't going anywhere a week before a trade sent him away. Any one can be moved at any time.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#133 » by pcbothwel » Tue Jun 8, 2021 10:44 pm

Frichuela wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:How about Torrey Craig in lieu of Otto or Batum?

This. I am a fan of his. It seems his 3 pt shooting has come around this season. Great defender with length who should fit quite well with Russ and Brad. It should not cost more than $5 mn/season..although if Phoenix continues their current playoff run you never know...

Yeah... I like Craig, but I was just aiming high. Also, Craig would be much more palatable in this situation in that he can backup Anderson.
I just really think we need to compliment Rui with a high IQ wing that rebounds and defends.
My thoughts on Otto are simple. He is young enough to have another strong year and re-enter FA in a year or 2 for another big contract.
Otto seems like the guy that is low key type A, wants clarity, security, and familiarity.

DC is one of the few places that can: A) give him a starting role/minutes, B) surround with familiarity (Tommy, Brad, Ted, etc.), C) be a playoff team, D) Pay him the >= MLE

Depending on our coaching situation, I could see Otto agreeing to a 1+1 prove it deal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#134 » by Ruzious » Tue Jun 8, 2021 11:06 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
Frichuela wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:How about Torrey Craig in lieu of Otto or Batum?

Yeah... I like Craig, but I was just aiming high. Also, Craig would be much more palatable in this situation in that he can backup Anderson.
I just really think we need to compliment Rui with a high IQ wing that rebounds and defends.
My thoughts on Otto are simple. He is young enough to have another strong year and re-enter FA in a year or 2 for another big contract.
Otto seems like the guy that is low key type A, wants clarity, security, and familiarity.

DC is one of the few places that can: A) give him a starting role/minutes, B) surround with familiarity (Tommy, Brad, Ted, etc.), C) be a playoff team, D) Pay him the >= MLE

Depending on our coaching situation, I could see Otto agreeing to a 1+1 prove it deal.

I'm on board - as long as the team doctors clear him. I can't come up with a better fit that we could afford like you said, is somewhat realistic, and I think Otto got along well with Beal - so we'd have a natural recruiting relationship, and this was home (including G-town) for a long time for him. And Otto's not an alpha type - he'd be happy getting feeds from Westbrook, and visa versa - so Westbrook can also be a convincing voice in the recruitment process.

That also would make it fine to trade Bertans - knowing we have a better replacement.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,971

Post#135 » by DCZards » Tue Jun 8, 2021 11:13 pm

I’d sign Otto if I thought he could stay healthy and give us at least 65 or so games.

His ability to shoot the 3 would be a real asset.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#136 » by payitforward » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:07 am

What Zards said....

There's always been one & only one problem with Otto -- his body gives out.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#137 » by payitforward » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:09 am

At the same time, if -- somehow -- it got us out from under Bertans contract, it'd be worth a try.
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 837

Post#138 » by 9 and 20 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:45 am

Costco needs to do an Otto Porter-based advertising campaign and feature its nasty champagne. He and Costco wine will forever be associated with each other, like Kwame and cake. Maybe, like Kwame, Otto will resurface 20 years from now and start feuding with Stephen A Smith, who will still be incredulous about the Knicks on ESPN.

On Otto the player, he's fine I guess, but not my first choice as one of the several available small forwards who might take the MLE.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#139 » by prime1time » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:02 am

I like Horford. He didn’t fit in Philly but he’d be a great center for us. I’d want him as a buyout candidate though. From the sound of it, next season will probably hinge on the grow the growth of Hachimura and Avidja. It’ll be interesting to see how there respective roles change.
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#140 » by prime1time » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:06 am

payitforward wrote:At the same time, if -- somehow -- it got us out from under Bertans contract, it'd be worth a try.

I think the value from Bertans will be more clearly seen when we get another knock down shooter who can play big minutes. When there’s only one on the floor teams can easily take him away. With two, good shooters we’ll start to see a real difference in terms of floor spacing and allowing Beal/Westbrook to work.

Return to Washington Wizards