ImageImageImageImageImage

Round 1, Game 7: Clippers vs. Mavericks: June 6, 12:30 PM PCT

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 918

Re: Round 1, Game 7: Clippers vs. Mavericks: June 6, 12:30 PM PCT 

Post#401 » by NickP » Tue Jun 8, 2021 1:51 pm

I disagree with anyone saying Kawhi could have left had we lost to Dallas. Kawhi loves to play in Los Angeles. It's true Kawhi wanted a solid team to play with and which led to us getting PG but this is because Kawhi wanted to stay competitive. This doesn't mean he's a ring chaser. Some of you here are making it look like he'll change teams every other year until he wins somewhere. So by that token Lebron must be calling the warriors or Nets.
If we don't advance beyond the second round then there will be changes but I truly believe Kawhi will still be the centerpiece of this org.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,746

Post#402 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Jun 8, 2021 5:00 pm

Its crazy a Mavs poster started a thread on GB about how Mavs can't have long term success with 'Lukaball'.

I thought Luka played out of his mind and carried the team on his back out of necessity, almost across the finish line. He played like Lebron in one of his deep playoff runs carrying a weak Cavs team on his back. Except Luka's ONLY 22????
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,293

Post#403 » by nickhx2 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 7:29 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:Its crazy a Mavs poster started a thread on GB about how Mavs can't have long term success with 'Lukaball'.

I thought Luka played out of his mind and carried the team on his back out of necessity, almost across the finish line. He played like Lebron in one of his deep playoff runs carrying a weak Cavs team on his back. Except Luka's ONLY 22????

well first of all that guy is a gigantic donkey and idiot and his opinion was already literally worth hotdog water, so...

(also i don't even think he's a mavs fan, just a lakers fan with some of the dumbest comments i've ever seen on this board).

nobody with half a brain would think that his style of play would not be able to build long term success. regardless, luka was on a different universe and i'll be happy to watch his progress for the rest of his career, from a basketball fan's perspective.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,224

Post#404 » by Clemenza » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:29 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:Its crazy a Mavs poster started a thread on GB about how Mavs can't have long term success with 'Lukaball'.

Luka is a beast no doubt but its a legit question imo.. As in if Porzingis isn't the guy -which it looks to be the case- and they move on from him to find another #2 guy to pair with Luka.. who would come knowing that the ball is in his hands 95% of the game where he gets all his looks and you're basically standing there in hopes that he'll pass to you once every four possessions plus you take the heat after a big loss from the media and fans. Unless a worthy star comes and then Carlisle would be forced to finally change the offense to where Luka has to play off ball on some possessions. Luka is a superstar no doubt about it. Harden and Bron are the other guys who control the game every possession and Harden has changed his game since joining the Nets. Its not really a knock on Luka but more like where does the new #2 guy fit into the equation where he clearly doesn't want to just be a cog/gear in the Luka system?

Just look at how they said Luka has no help but in fact it was the insane shooting of all the role players that got them the early 2-0 lead over us. Players and potential free agents take note of stuff like that. They might just have to be like Bron in his early Cleveland days where he carries a bunch of role players.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,746

Post#405 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:27 pm

Clemenza wrote:

Luka is a beast no doubt but its a legit question imo.. As in if Porzingis isn't the guy -which it looks to be the case- and they move on from him to find another #2 guy to pair with Luka.. who would come knowing that the ball is in his hands 95% of the game where he gets all his looks and you're basically standing there in hopes that he'll pass to you once every four possessions plus you take the heat after a big loss from the media and fans. Unless a worthy star comes and then Carlisle would be forced to finally change the offense to where Luka has to play off ball on some possessions. Luka is a superstar no doubt about it. Harden and Bron are the other guys who control the game every possession and Harden has changed his game since joining the Nets. Its not really a knock on Luka but more like where does the new #2 guy fit into the equation where he clearly doesn't want to just be a cog/gear in the Luka system?

Just look at how they said Luka has no help but in fact it was the insane shooting of all the role players that got them the early 2-0 lead over us. Players and potential free agents take note of stuff like that. They might just have to be like Bron in his early Cleveland days where he carries a bunch of role players.

I guess we're all speculating at how he'd play with a better cast. But on the whole I think the Mavs outperformed in the series, largely if not almost entirely due to Luka. You're definitely right other players got hot in certain games, but I think the ball generally found its way to the right shooter on many/most of their possessions. I think he was pretty much always a threat to pass/playmake on his possessions, even though he did of course shoot the ball a lot. I don't think guys like Boban have actual productive minutes in a playoff series unless Luka is there (forcing us to play small ball, etc.)

For him to have that series at the age of 22 bodes 99% good things for the Mavs IMO (but I get your points as well.)

Return to Los Angeles Clippers